We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

"Heavy", "Light" and "Medium" RP ? So what ?

Hello, and well met, friends.

I'm a new player on Laurelin. A french player, unaccustomed to English roleplay traditions. I played for a moment on the French servers, of course, but the experience was not very satisfactory. Even on Estel (THE RP french server), roleplay consist mainly in brass bands, fashion and horse racing. Nothing very serious. I'm not fluent in english (as you can see it), but I'm looking for something, you know, more "solid".

I browsed the Laurelin board , and I saw that you, on the English servers, made a difference between "heavy", "light" and even "medium" roleplay ?

Could you, if you've a moment, tell me what is the difference between "heavy", "light" and "medium" roleplay ?

And please, forgive my spelling mistakes and my rough grammar I'm working on it. Really. And I realize that this may be a problem to interpret my character on english servers.

Ersei.

People seem to have varied views of what the definitions are but heres mine:

Light - Players are not roleplaying focused and generally enjoy other aspects of the game such as raiding or questing rather than roleplaying, however they may make their characters switch between roleplaying in /say and OOC in /say. Characters do not need a background or reasons for performing certain actions, even if they are roleplaying. Kin chat would always be OOC.

Medium - The players generally enjoys roleplaying over other aspects of the game and choose to focus on roleplaying first. Characters generally have a background/story and their actions are guided to some extent by this background/story. Kin chat will be OOC.

Heavy - Characters always have and are guided by a background/story. Players (at least when IC) only perform actions with that character if it fits the characters story. Kin chat should always be IC, the only exception being if a player denotes going OOC by using ((brackets)).

I am sure others will disagree with my views here, but this is my two cents.
    [url]http://volunteer.enjin.com/home[/url]

That's a difficult question.

At its simplest if while taking part in RP you find any of the following true:
    - There are too many rules
    - You're scared you might utter something that doesn't fit with the lore
    - Your language skills are being brought into question
    - You are typing "thee" and "thou" and "canst" all the time
    - You feel overly restricted and your creativity is stifled
    - You have to create a full character background story before you are allowed to join in and it must be peer reviewd
    - It's no fun, too structured / regimented / formal
    Then the RP is probably too much on the heavy side for you.

Conversely if you find any of the following true:
    - The idiots you are playing with have no understanding of basic language skills, nor can they spell
    - Everyone seems to be related to Legolas, Frodo or Gandalf in some way
    - Some of these people have no knowledge whatsoever of the lore
    - Out of character references keep spoiling your immersion in the RP
    - There's too much messing around and not enough actual RP
    - Nobody has a character background story to help you get to grips with their character and inspire your RP
    - It's lacking structure, too informal and uninspiring
    Then the RP is too light for your taste.

As an example light RP in kinchat could be mixed with OOC (out of character) chat and would likely revolve around just good natured banter and mocking dwarves, hobbits, elves along racial stereotypes. Light RP events will be informal and fun without too much structure and possibly some hidden storyline that will emerge courtesy of the event organisers and anyone can join in without any fear of making a mistake or putting a foot wrong.

Heavy RP on the other hand would all occur in the say channel and will be accompanied by appropriate emotes. If it's an event then there will most likely be a preset course or storyline, with roles predefined. Efforts to derail the storyline or divert it from a preset course may not be appreciated. Certain standards of behaviour may be expected in accordance with predefined roles, such as bowing to a lord and using correct titles when addressing one another.

As for medium RP you can pretty much guess that is just anything that falls in between the above two scenarios, but essentially it is all just relative to your own viewpoint and what you desire from RP.

As for your spelling and grammar you have nothing to worry about judging by your post here. Good luck in finding what you seek. Safe journey my friend.
    Last edited by AnnatarsGift; Apr 02 2013 at 07:20 AM.
    [center][size="4"][font="Book Antiqua"][color="#F5DEB3"]Є[/color][color="#F5CAB3"]~[/color][color="#EFA9A4"]T[/color][color="#EF6868"]h[/color][color="#DF6161"]e[/color] [color="#CF0000"]Sanct[/color][color="#CF3333"]u[/color][color="#DF5353"]a[/color][color="#EF6868"]r[/color][color="#EFA9A4"]y[/color][color="#F5CAB3"]~[/color][color="#F5DEB3"]Э[/color][/font][/size][font="Book Antiqua"]
    [size="3"][color="wheat"](founded Nov 2005)[/color][/size][/font]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000000b2f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/center]

I would disagree with some of AnnatarsGift's definition of 'light' roleplay, as he seems to be partially equating it with 'bad' roleplay. While some 'light' RPers do RP while making huge lore gaffes and claiming to be the love child of Gandalf and Galadriel, I would say it's more attitude related - light RPers are much less likely to jump down your throat for making mistakes , and the RP is not necessarily the main focus of the game.

Having said that... lore lolling and so on drive me crazy. My main suggestion would be to watch others RP in game for a while, find out where the main RP hubs are, and see where your preferences lie. Have fun!

Personally I have never really liked the terms light, medium and heavy for a way of describing the RP type of a guild. Every guild I have come across in LOTRO roleplays to different rules set by their own Kinship. They are many and varied for example;-

Some roleplay in the say channel only where some roleplay in their kin and fellowship channels.
    Some are IC one moment and OOC the next.
    Some allow the use of brackets in the say channel for out of character actions such as (phone, doorbell etc).

It would be amazing if every roleplaying kinship agreed to roleplay to one method/style. To try to standardise the style of roleplay and thus increase the immersion level of the game for the whole community.

I know from my own roleplay it can be frustrating when you are in character but a roleplayer you know comes along and performs an OOC action upon you thus affecting your own immersion. But I also accept that until we all play the same way you just have to go with it and try to find some common ground. Its a big server and we must all do our best to work with all the styles out there.

So I think rarther than class kinships into catagories we should perhaps try to respect all the styles out there and perhaps in the long term try to bring the roleplaying kinships (those that want to) to agree to one style of roleplay.

Just my thoughts......
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

Quote Originally Posted by Nithien View Post
    Hello, and well met, friends.
    Could you, if you've a moment, tell me what is the difference between "heavy", "light" and "medium" roleplay ?
    For me is very easy. Is how much time you dedicate to Roleplaying. Thats it.
    Of course if you dedicate a lot of time it usually follow much investments into your character, of putting a lot thought into the character, Kin and Events. But it does not necessarily means that a Light Roleplayer is a worse Roleplayer than a Heavy Roleplayer. Or that a Light Roleplayer is less Lore-minded than a Heavy Roleplayer.

To be a good Roleplayer is in my opinion a totally different discussion. I have seen a reincarnation of Tolkien in a pretty heavy Raid kin. and people that selfproclaim themselfes to be heavy Roleplayers just because they love to police how others should Roleplay. Who is capable to tell people whether they are a light/medium and Heavy if one should consider is about the quality of the Roleplay and amount of knowledge? Is all about taste.

For me the terms usually get very missused. Many assosiate the term light roleplay as bad roleplay. Others assosiate the term heavy Roleplay as you someone that has totally lost grip of reality and are a tad crazy about it (like beeing in-character in Global LFF and preach to the others they should respect Laurelin as RP server and act IC. hehe. But that is in my eyes plain stupidity and are not about heavy RP at all)

Myself I love Middle Earth and Lotro to bits. I love Laurelin and the community. I Roleplay as much as I can, and I invest much time on my RP characters+background when I am able to RP. I do believe I am a decent RP as I have a few years experience and know the basics of Lore. But I also love the end game too and quest quite a lot. So I divide my time 30/70 beetween RP and gaming the game. So I guess I am a light or medium RP? Don't know..
    Last edited by Achy; Apr 12 2013 at 01:52 AM.
    -ACHAZIA-
    Songwriter in The Shades and my music at Soundcloud
    Contributer at Lotro Players
    The Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Achy View Post
    But it does not necessarily means that a Light Roleplayer is a worse Roleplayer than a Heavy Roleplayer. Or that a Light Roleplayer is less Lore-minded than a Heavy Roleplayer.

To be a good Roleplayer is in my opinion a totally different discussion. I have seen a reincarnation of Tolkien in a pretty heavy Raid kin. and people that selfproclaim themselfes to be heavy Roleplayers just because they love to police how others should Roleplay, and who is capable to tell people whether they are a light/medium and Heavy if one should consider is about the quality of the Roleplay? Is all about taste.
    Well said Achazia
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

I guess I have a different definition of the terms than most of the other replies.

To me, heavy, medium and light do not denote the quality or frequency of the RP, but rather the depth of it.

To illustrate my definitions:

Light RP is by far the most common. This is often found when strangers meet in chatacter, exchange pleasantries, and go on their seperate ways. It's fun, but has little impact on the characters in question.

Medium RP is what one usually finds at the weekly gatherings (although heavy RP often occurs there, too.) Characters have more discussions, things often carry over from session to session, and a character's life can actually be influenced by what happens there.

Heavy RP is generally something done within RP kins, and by dedicated RPers and their friends. The RP defines and shapes the character in question, and can (and usually does) have a serious impact on the character's life. IMO, heavy RP is what most closely resembles the old P-n-P games like a good Dungeons and Dragons campaign. The stories the RPers create tend to be long lasting and complex.

YMMV
    Last edited by Belias_Lassiter; Apr 14 2013 at 02:20 PM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001dbbf1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://my.lotro.com/user-658244/category/thoms-journal/"][COLOR=#ffcc00]Thom's Journal[/COLOR][/URL] - [I]An in character account of the Epic Questline[/I][/CENTER]