We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Where do people find the sheet music for LotRO Themes

Hi, ive been playing LotRO for a couple of years and I just love the music system, but I noticed that there were abc files for some of the songs from LotRO and I am seriously wondering where the people who made them got the music from. I think that they might just write them by ear, but im not to sure, so does anyone know? Also does anyone have any abc file, midi, or sheet music for LotRO Legacy or Far Ahead the Road Has Gone? Thanks.

Thank you for all who have answsred this thread, but im afraid that yoy misunderstood me. I know how people play in game music and such. I know what midis are, im in band so I work with them a lot. I also know that to write a midi you have to copy the notes from (a.) physical sheet music, which is what im looking for, or (b.) listening to a song and writinig it by ear. Thank you!
    Last edited by Camto; Aug 13 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: misunderstood

Most of us use midi files. We use a midi to ABC converter. My personal choice is firefern.rklotro.com

It depends. I personally dislike using raw midi files and turning them into abc files. I have a music background so I personally just work off pre-existing sheet music that I own. Or I will use a 1-page preview from musicnotes.com to give me a jumpstart, and then figure the rest out by ear (usually listening to the song in question on youtube if I don't have it myself). It is a very long and complicated process but it feels a lot more rewarding to me when it's finally finished.

I use Anvil Studio to create my songs (it saves as a midi file) and then use Maestro to convert to abc. I use the ABC Player for quick playback. I'm hoping to get someone to show me how to use Firefern -- it is rather confusing to me -- because I have a song that I need to fade-out, but mostly I use the other 3 programs.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    It depends. I personally dislike using raw midi files and turning them into abc files. I have a music background so I personally just work off pre-existing sheet music that I own. Or I will use a 1-page preview from musicnotes.com to give me a jumpstart, and then figure the rest out by ear (usually listening to the song in question on youtube if I don't have it myself). It is a very long and complicated process but it feels a lot more rewarding to me when it's finally finished.

I use Anvil Studio to create my songs (it saves as a midi file) and then use Maestro to convert to abc. I use the ABC Player for quick playback. I'm hoping to get someone to show me how to use Firefern -- it is rather confusing to me -- because I have a song that I need to fade-out, but mostly I use the other 3 programs.
    I've taken a break from transcribing with the new music update being something I am not enjoying so far so if you wish to mail me in game a time that is good for you, I can walk you through what I know about Firferns. I am not musically educated but I have worked with Firefern for over three years now and know a trick or two
    I can get you my kins raid call or join a voice chat of your choosing to walk you through it.

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Apologies Camto for not responding earlier.

We transcribe, modify, create .abc's on a weekly basis.

Sheet music to .abc's

1. Pretty tedious work. Isolate each instrument as a track, and use a MIDI editor such as Anvil Studio. Set the key, tempo, time signature, default volume. and enter the track/instrument from the sheet music track by track.

Once you create this .mid file, convert to .abc. There's a variety of converters that do this.

Test the multi-part song.abc in game. then repeat by going back tot he MIDI editor, make changes, and then create and retest your .abc, until satisfied.
    You can either edit the volume levels in the MIDI editor or overall volume in the MIDI to .abc converter. Some editors let you edit the volumes in the conversion process.

Original or scratch covers.

2. Similar to transcribing sheet music to a multi-part.abc file, but add the following processes if writing original or a by the ear cover to an existing song.

You need to identify the tempo, time signature, and key if possible. It's like building a house. Start with the drum or bass, then add melody, then supporting chords and riffs. Basics to embellishments. It is best if you have the song or a similar song in a player and the MIDI working version of your song to play side by side. Original music is entirely up to you, where you are the final judge. But if this is a scratch cover, then you need to clip the measure(s) side by side and evaluate what is missing from your MIDI working file. I personally do 1 or 2 measures at a time, listen, then make the edits. Repeat until you are satisfied. You can also isolate tracks from other songs, like a nice harp run, a lute riff, a bass beat and merge/incorporate it into your song with the necessary transposed key.

Hope that helps. Remember to take regular hourly breaks. It can be tortuous to listen to a repeated measure(s) for hours at a time. Bar by bar, measure by measure. 80-120 measures. Thats about a 3-4 min song.