We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is This the best title for the book series?

Ponder it! "The Lord of the Rings"...? Sauron is the bad guy, he created the Rings, and throughout the books he is an unseen enemy. He is faceless, bodiless, and ... is he even worthy of the being the title character?

What title would you have given to it???

Well, Sauron is the main antagonist and a major focal point of the trilogy. Hence why the books end rather abruptly after his defeat.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Well, from Sauron's and the other badie's point of view: The Four Hobbits Of The Apocalypse
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

One suggested one by the publishes was 'War of the Ring'. But Tolkien complained it gives away the story.

So maybe 'The War of the Third Age'?

(Correction below accepted)
    Last edited by CarltheRed; Apr 03 2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: correction
    [B]Hitchens[/B](r9 warg)[B], [/B][B]Glasgow[/B](R9 LM), [B]Lintalthir[/B] (R10 Hunter), [B]Rithun[/B] (R6 Captain) Brandywine server.
    [I]I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by CarltheRed View Post
    One suggested one by the publishes was 'War of the Ring'. But Tolkien complained it gives away the story.

So maybe 'The War of the Third Age'?
    "The War of the Ring" is actually what Tolkien wanted to call the third book in the series. He objected to the title "The Return of the King" because it actually gave away the ending. Just for once the publishers won the argument and their title stuck. At least that's the story as told by Rayner Unwin, the son of the publisher Sir Stanley Unwin.

I think the current title is just fine. It is mysterious, yet not too vague or boring. I for one don't find titles like 'war of/for something' to be very interesting. What I try to say is that the title Lord of the Rings sells well, maybe other title might've done the same, maybe not.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Well, from Sauron's and the other badie's point of view: The Four Hobbits Of The Apocalypse
    That's funny!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000c0e17/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]