We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Remapping the hotkey for showing Frame Rate...

is it possible? I cannot see it anywhere in the options, specifically Keymapping.

will I have to reset all my keys to their defaults to get this back to Ctrl-F? ive changed like 90% of the mappings... that's gonna be a pain.

Thank you in advance for any help!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

The frame rate display is internally called the DebugHUD. The toggle is mapped via the lotro.keymap file in your "...Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online" folder. Before editing the file, make sure the Ctrl+F key is not mapped to anything in-game - you can best do this by assigning another action to Ctrl+F (the game will warn you if it was assigned to another action, go ahead and set it) and then resetting the other action so that you will know Ctrl+F is no longer assigned. Once you are sure Ctrl+F is no longer mapped, be sure to exit the client completely before editing the lotro.keymap file otherwise the client will wipe out your changes.

Before editing the lotro.keymap file, make a copy in case you do something really, really bad. Edit the lotro.kepmap file (notepad will suffice) and search for an entry with the name "ToggleDebugHUD". If no such entry exists, then you have a problem (unless the game warned you that it was already mapped to another action when remapping as noted above) since the game should automatically recreate this entry if it is not found on start up. If there is more than one entry, remove any that have the word "User" instead of "Old". There should be one and only one entry for ToggleDebugHUD and it should look like:
    Code:
        ToggleDebugHUD [ Old [ 0 DIK_F ] 0x00000002 ]
    If in doubt, remove all ToggleDebugHUD entries since the game should recreate it on startup.
    DO NOT change/delete any other enties than the ToggleDebugHUD entry.
    Save and close the lotro.keymap file.
    Restart the client. Ctrl+F should now toggle your frame rate window. If you are still not seeing it, it is likely that you positioned it off screen by accident. The only way I know of to fix that is to set your game to a wider resolution and then use Ctrl+\ to reposition the frame rate window, then set the resolution back to normal.
    Last edited by Garan; Jan 08 2014 at 04:33 PM.

wow! great info. thank you so much!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

I know this thread is a couple months old, but it seems to be the most current on the topic.

I, too, rebound Ctrl-F in the game, not realizing that the Framerate option was nowhere to be found in the keybinds UI. Looking at the keymap file, I see no entries at all for ToggleDebugHUD.

I removed any bindings I had for Ctrl-F, restarted the game, and checked again. Still nothing.

I closed the game, added the ToggleDebugHUD line manually, and restarted the game. Ctrl-F had no effect. Closed the game, checked the keymap file, and the entry I'd made was gone.

Not sure what the next step should be. Will resetting all the keybinds to default even bring it back? Since it is not in the options, if it remains missing all I'll have done is reset all the customization I DO want.

My next step might be installing the game on an old computer to check the default keymap file and see what I am doing wrong. Any other suggestions? Alos, any other "hidden" key mappings I should look out for?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Looking at the keymap file, I see no entries at all for ToggleDebugHUD.
    I just double checked and the mapping I provided above is still valid for the PC client. Are you running the Mac client?

Did you verify that Ctrl+F is no longer mapped in game by mapping another action to Ctrl+F and then clearing that binding?

The lotro.keymap file contains multiple sections delineated by square brackets, the ToggleDebugHUD entry should be in the "Bindings[ Main [" section, the same section that has entries for ToggleAdminPanel, ToggleOptionsPanel, ToggleThreatTrackerPanel, ToggleBlockUI, etc. Note, the entries are not grouped alphabetically so the ToggleDebugHUD entry may be buried amongst other entries but shoule be in that section. Additionally, you can search for any entry containing "[ 0 DIK_F ] 0x00000002" which denotes Ctrl+F to see if it is somehow mapped to another action in the lotro.keymap file.
    Last edited by Garan; Mar 03 2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    I just double checked and the mapping I provided above is still valid for the PC client. Are you running the Mac client?

Did you verify that Ctrl+F is no longer mapped in game by mapping another action to Ctrl+F and then clearing that binding?

The lotro.keymap file contains multiple sections delineated by square brackets, the ToggleDebugHUD entry should be in the "Bindings[ Main [" section, the same section that has entries for ToggleAdminPanel, ToggleOptionsPanel, ToggleThreatTrackerPanel, ToggleBlockUI, etc. Note, the entries are not grouped alphabetically so the ToggleDebugHUD entry may be buried amongst other entries but shoule be in that section. Additionally, you can search for any entry containing "[ 0 DIK_F ] 0x00000002" which denotes Ctrl+F to see if it is somehow mapped to another action in the lotro.keymap file.
    I am on PC. Windows 7.

I did make sure Ctrl-F was no longer mapped in the game before I shut down and searched for the string in the keymap file. Looked ok. Even after trying to add it manually to the file and then starting the game up again, there was no warning if I tried binding something to Ctrl-F in the options.

One possibility, I put the ToggleDebugHUD in the debug section of the file, not the main bindings. Maybe that was why it ended up being removed when the game launched again? I'll check it later and try the other section.

Thanks.

Edit:
    Ok, went back to the file and found the problem. When I tried adding the line manually I thought launching the game had just removed it. Turns out, it also added another line:
    DoNothing [ User [ 0 DIK_F ] 0x00000002 ]
    No idea why it was put in (or why DoNothing is even an option), but once I took that out, Ctrl-F went back to being a framerate toggle on the next launch.
    Last edited by Thornglen; Mar 03 2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: new info