We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO Voice chat headset problem

So i recently reinstalled Lotro on my computer, previously i had used voice chat ingame and it worked fine my audio worked with the built in mic, speakers and even two different USB headsets i used over time.

Now that i've reinstalled lotro however the USB headset no longer works for voice chat. When its plugged in it will play the audio, but all of the voice chat options are removed if you go to "Voice" in the audio options the two boxes showing your input and output are completely greyed out when using the USB headset.

Am i just completely missing some setting that i had turned on before? the system has assistive devices enabled and i can't find anything else that lotro might need to use the USB headset...its just baffling to me that it won't work now even tho it did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Talizar View Post
    So i recently reinstalled Lotro on my computer, previously i had used voice chat ingame and it worked fine my audio worked with the built in mic, speakers and even two different USB headsets i used over time.

Now that i've reinstalled lotro however the USB headset no longer works for voice chat. When its plugged in it will play the audio, but all of the voice chat options are removed if you go to "Voice" in the audio options the two boxes showing your input and output are completely greyed out when using the USB headset.

Am i just completely missing some setting that i had turned on before? the system has assistive devices enabled and i can't find anything else that lotro might need to use the USB headset...its just baffling to me that it won't work now even tho it did before.
    Hmmm... don't know the implications of using "assistive devices". That is an OSX thing which might get in the way.

There are two places to check that I am aware of --
    1- System/Preferences - Input tab -- and make certain you have your usb headset selected -- before you launch LOTRO!
    I've never been able to get LOTRO to recognize it "on the fly." -- with either the Mac Client or using WINE... I assume it is an issue with "CoreAudio."

2- Alternately, in Applications/Utilities -- find "Audio Midi Setup.app" and launch it. It basically gives you a bit more "fine grained" control capability compared to System/Preferences.

I have used a USB headset (Audio FX Pro 5+1) with my 27 inch iMac now for several years. The output has always been excellent, however, the boom mic input on the Headset is only functional occasionally -- most of the time It simply manages to generate massive amounts of noise (visible in the System Preferences Panel)... but occasionally, it works very well. I've never managed to figure out what causes the difference. ... It might be sunspots
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Talizar View Post

I have the exact same problem using Plantronics 655dsp. I can't find any help on how to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lunhil12 View Post
    I have the exact same problem using Plantronics 655dsp. I can't find any help on how to fix the problem.
    As I mentioned above, I use a USB headset with no problems.
    However, I tend to use Mumble more than the in-game voice.

One thing which I do not understand -- the phrase "assistive devices enabled" -- What does that refer to? (How and why?)

Apple has the following support documents:
    1- OS X Mavericks: Enable access for assistive devices and applications
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6026?v...S&locale=en_US

Note that this implies that "assistive devices" must be enabled independently for each application.

However, my USB headset does not offer any such application. (MY Logitech G105 keyboard does show up, however.)

2-OS X Mavericks: Allow accessibility apps to access your Mac
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14397
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)