We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

your coolest tolkien collector's item...

I have a few Tolkien collectors items (no first editions other than a bootleg) so i thought i would post a pic of one of the more obscure items i have, and see what else people have in their collections of "Tolkien stuff".

I have The One Ring that I wear on a chain around my neck.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I have a gold leaf map of Middle-Earth that sadly got a bit tore up during my cross-country move.

My 50th anniversary edition Lord of the Rings.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    My 50th anniversary edition Lord of the Rings.

I have that. Nice book!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Thumbs up

I've been a collector of Tolkien's books for many years, long before the movies. At present many are boxed up as I am hoping to move, but there are approximately 550 - 600 of them. One of the most unusual is a copy of The Hobbit in Hebrew. It opens 'back-to-front' to western books, and on the inside is the inscription: "Translated by Israeli prisoners of war, Cairo prison camp, 1973". I have many other language editions, but this one is definitely my favourite. Other books I have are Tolkien's other published works, various biographies and discussions of his works, and several about his languages that he created. As ye all probably know, Middle Earth and its histories were only created so that Tolkien would have somewhere that his invented languages could be spoken.

Since the movies came out, it has been possible to buy many different items related to Lord of the Rings. Along with many rabid fans, I have 9 replicas of the movie swords (came in handy when a drunk tried to climb in a window once...), many of the jewellery pieces and models, movies, games etc. I don't collect everything related to the movies, just things which I like. I think the 'wierdest' things I have that came out for the movies are several packets of incense They are supposed to smell of a Hobbit's pantry, Mirkwood and Moria, but as I havent tried them, I can't say they do. Some of my more precious things are pieces of art signed by the Hildebrandt brothers, they were one of the first artists to become famous for their Tolkien paintings.

When the 50th edition of Lord of the Rings came out, I bought several of them, one each for my children when they are finally settled, and one for me. Then I found out that mine were the English published version with a red cover and ornamentation, and that the American version has a blue cover, so I had to have one of those

I am still collecting the books, my most recent one was a lovely copy of The Hobbit in Latin
    Last edited by Finda; Mar 29 2013 at 11:03 PM.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE][B][COLOR=#ff00ff]06/15 09:08:25 PM World Gardaness: 'Finda is Gilrain's Den mother, Been here longer than freaking Bombadil'[/COLOR][/B][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

All my Tolkien items are cool though, so it's hard to pick.

I currently wear the One Ring as my wedding band. My wife bought it for me for our anniversary last year since I had my wedding band on my key chain for years due to it becoming too small.

I also have copy of the sheet music from the Rankin Bass version of the Hobbit.

I don't really have anything that cool at all but I did take a trip to Barnes and Noble and I stumbled across a version of The Hobbit translated into latin. Now I understand it being translated into Hebrew, but I thought Latin was a dead language? Either way it was really cool!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000350678/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)

if best things in life are free, cheap can be cool too...

All my collectables are rather cheap I have several glasses I think came from Burger King, a LotR Chess set, several action figures including all the fellowship from Mac Donald's (Happy Meal prizes), but probably my favorite is my set of the the nine members of the Fellowship plus Gollum Pez dispensers.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    several packets of incense They are supposed to smell of a Hobbit's pantry, Mirkwood and Moria, but as I havent tried them, I can't say they do.
    awesome! how would anyone ever confirm the validity of the smells though =D

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    All my collectables are rather cheap I have several glasses I think came from Burger King, a LotR Chess set, several action figures including all the fellowship from Mac Donald's (Happy Meal prizes), but probably my favorite is my set of the the nine members of the Fellowship plus Gollum Pez dispensers.
    PEZ ftw! i love pez dispensers and have a fairly extensive collection lol

and thanks everyone for the replies so far! =)

I have a Gandalf hat. Obtained it from Ebay (yes, unbeleivable when I think of it). Was hard to find the movie-based one.

Only costed like $50 Australian.

Here's a pic;

Last edited by CarltheRed; Mar 31 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    [B]Hitchens[/B](r9 warg)[B], [/B][B]Glasgow[/B](R9 LM), [B]Lintalthir[/B] (R10 Hunter), [B]Rithun[/B] (R6 Captain) Brandywine server.
    [I]I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP [/I]

I don't know how you define "collectible". My most valued item is my mother's 1974 Swedish version, read by my mother, my sister and myself (in that order). The cover looks like this:

Luckily this (the second Swedish translation) used the word "hobbit" in stead of the earlier translation's "hompe"!
    Sadly my first reading of The Lord of the Rings was the Swedish translation by Åke Ohlmark.

Strange as it is, I have copy of the Hobbit which was printed in 1996 or 1997 by Houghton Mifflin. What's so special about it? The jacket flap says the book was written 73 years ago at the time of printing. If I'm not mistaken, Tolkien died in 1973? (Just checked.)

If Tolkien were alive today he'd be 121... ten years older than Bilbo!

Carl, I love that hat!

This is the supplier I got the product from on Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Licensed-...item4170c0a7d6
    [B]Hitchens[/B](r9 warg)[B], [/B][B]Glasgow[/B](R9 LM), [B]Lintalthir[/B] (R10 Hunter), [B]Rithun[/B] (R6 Captain) Brandywine server.
    [I]I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by CarltheRed View Post
    This is the supplier I got the product from on Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Licensed-...item4170c0a7d6
    great hat! thanks for the link =)

thanks for all the replies. fun thread =)

My Ace copies of the LOTR. Here's a link to another guy selling a set if you have never seen what they look like http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkie...ore/000836.htm .

Like Finda, I have a very large collection of items including some from the 1970s when I was a teenager. While I do not have a copy of The Hobbit in Hebrew, I do have a copy of The Adventures of Tom Bombabil in Hebrew. I also have one in German. I also have a few editions of Adventures in English with illustrations by different artists.

I don't know if I would rate any one item the coolest, but I do have a first edition, first printing of The Silmarillion that I received for my 16th birthday in 1977. I also have a fairly large collection of small metal figures I purchased at a book store in Berkeley in the late 1970s. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Brothers Hildebrandt calendars nor the posters I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    Unfortunately, I no longer have the Brothers Hildebrandt calendars nor the posters I had at the time.
    =( I also had several of those calendars and the cool metallic movie poster with gandalf on it, but lost them somewhere in a move from the bay area =/.

sounds like you have a nice collection! =)