We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy LOTRO for Mac Error - Need Help

Hello

I got myself a MacBook last week and the first thing I checked was how to get Lotro running there. I downloaded the official macclient which downloads the game with something called 'Pando Media Booster'. I downloaded till 60% yesterday. I shut the computer down and wanted to continue the download today.

When I started it I got the message "Your system is currently not allowing access to our servers. Check your Firewall and/or security software settings to allow PMB.exe to run."
    Well its my first mac but I'm pretty shire I have no Firewall and &&&& running and it was working the day before. So I am quite confused now I gotta admit. Alot of other people who are using this have the same problem but I got no idea how to fix it and I really wanna play it on my mac.

So now to my question. How can I get this to run? Are there any alternative ways of getting it on my mac? Anyone with the same problem.

Thank you,

- Legond
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2a223000000083a20/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Changing Firewall settings on a Mac

Hey there, the easiest fix for any Mac woes for LoTRO is to turn the firewall off. It is possible to add exceptions for the different programs to allow them through, but you will often have to delete these exceptions and re-add them, which can be a pain.

In order to disable your firewall:

1) click on the apple icon in the top left of the screen
    2) click on System Preferences
    3) click on Security and Privacy
    4) click on the "Firewall" tab
    5a) click "Turn off Firewall"

If you want to add exceptions instead, follow steps 1-4, then:

5b) click "Firewall Options"
    6) browse through your computer and find the programs you want to allow through. In this case, it would be Pando Media Booster, Lotro Client, and possibly a few others. Perhaps someone with more advanced knowledge of the Lotro connections can add more to this post.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamda View Post
    I got myself a MacBook last week and the first thing I checked was how to get Lotro running there. I downloaded the official macclient which downloads the game with something called 'Pando Media Booster'. I downloaded till 60% yesterday. I shut the computer down and wanted to continue the download today.

When I started it I got the message "Your system is currently not allowing access to our servers. Check your Firewall and/or security software settings to allow PMB.exe to run."
    Well its my first mac but I'm pretty shire I have no Firewall and &&&& running and it was working the day before. So I am quite confused now I gotta admit. Alot of other people who are using this have the same problem but I got no idea how to fix it and I really wanna play it on my mac.

So now to my question. How can I get this to run? Are there any alternative ways of getting it on my mac? Anyone with the same problem.
    For more than you ever wanted to know about the Mac Client, visit: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

Assuming that you have the Firewall in OSX turned OFF (System/Preferences -- Security & Privacy), then next thing to check is your ISP. Depending upon who you have, you may or may not have a router which may have its own firewall that needs to be opened. Also, PMB is a "torrent style" downloader, and as such, your ISP may black-list you.

All of that said, you my simply have hit a timing problem -- how are you connecting your MacBook to the Internet -- via Ethernet cable or via WiFi.

The WiFi connection will not necessarily connect "immediately" on power-up. However, the PMB application will begin to run as soon as you login to your MacBook. In which case, all that you need to do is to launch your browser, wait until you get a response back and then re-launch the PMB. (Although, it should keep re-trying.)

Also check any anti-virus software you have installed. Especially anything, which claims to protect web-browsing!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)