We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Any fixes for the Music/.abc system? (Updated with possible solution? )

I'm a roleplayer.. and a Hobbit.. so I REALLY love music xD I was very sad to hear I can't use the music system anymore because I'm using the mac client..

Just wondering if theres any fixes yet?
    Last edited by Brulac; Mar 24 2013 at 01:20 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

I've found http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...ic_work-around

EDITED: After some messing around with google and stuff, I have deduced a way to make it work ( i think )

Step 1, select your song of choice and COPY the notes.
    Step2, open Textedit ( already should have this on your computer) and hit Edit, change to normal text.
    Step3, paste the copied notes/song into the textedit window
    Step4, hit Save, name the file Music\Songname.abc exactly like that, NOTE the backslash \ not a regular forward slash /
    Step4.5, Save the file to your DESKTOP
    Step5, go to your desktop, and it'll have named it Music\Songname.abc.txt ( if it didn't, that's fine. It did for me though) Click the file one to select it, and once again 2-3 seconds after to change the name.
    Step5.5, If it gave you .txt on the end of your file, delete the .txt, making the file named Music\Songname.abc
    Step6, open up finder, hit the Alt/Option key, hit go, hit library.
    Step7, find Application support, and then com.turbine.lotroclient
    step 8, Move the Music\Songname.abc file from your desktop to the com.turbine.lotroclient folder. Just leave it in there, doesn't need to be in a Music folder.
    Step9, pat yourself on the back.

This is how I did it, please correct me if this is incorrect, and PLEASE add a step-by-step process to the wiki/have one pinned here in this forum.

( Once I got in game, I tried my music file, it gave me the error Note's duration is too short. Line 1, column 60. which I presume is the songwriters fault, not mine?.. I hope?.. will test with this and report back)
    Last edited by Brulac; Mar 24 2013 at 07:05 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    I've found http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...ic_work-around

EDITED: After some messing around with google and stuff, I have deduced a way to make it work ( i think )

Step 1, select your song of choice and COPY and notes.
    Step 2, open Textedit ( already should have this on your computer) and hit Edit, change to normal text.
    Step 3, paste the copied notes/song into the textedit folder.
    Step 4, hit Save, name the file Music\Songname.abc exactly like that, NOTE the backslash \ not a regular forward slash /
    Step 4.5, Save the file to your DESKTOP
    Step 5, go to your desktop, and it'll have named it Music\Songname.abc.txt ( if it didn't, that's fine. It did for me though) Click the file one to select it, and once again 2-3 seconds after to change the name.
    Step 5.5, If it gave you .txt on the end of your file, delete the .txt, making the file named Music\Songname.abc
    Step 6, open up finder, hit the Alt/Option key, hit go, hit library.
    Step 7, find Application support, and then com.turbine.lotroclient
    Step 8, Move the Music\Songname.abc file from your desktop to the com.turbine.lotroclient folder. Just leave it in there, doesn't need to be in a Music folder.
    Step9, pat yourself on the back.

This is how I did it, please correct me if this is incorrect, and PLEASE add a step-by-step process to the wiki/have one pinned here in this forum.

( Once I got in game, I tried my music file, it gave me the error Note's duration is too short. Line 1, column 60. which I presume is the songwriters fault, not mine?.. I hope?.. will test with this and report back)
    Step 1 -- "and notes" .... looks like you dropped some text

Step 2 -- TextEdit is Apple's text editor which ships with OSX. Any Text editor can be used. TextWrangler is from BareBones Software, or Emacs and other command line editors found in a "Terminal" window.
    (Note that if you are an iCloud subscriber, you will get the iCloud document selection window when you launch TextEdit from the Dock; click the "New Document" button at the lower left of the display.

Step 3: should say TextEdit Window. No folder exists.

steps 4,4.5, 5, 5.5 are "standard" TextEdit activity.

In the drop-down that pops-up when you save, if you uncheck " If no extension is provided" use .txt" -- it should save as the extension you provide .abc.

I have no idea how OSX deals with .abc files, let alone the Mac Client.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Step 1 -- "and notes" .... looks like you dropped some text

Step 2 -- TextEdit is Apple's text editor which ships with OSX. Any Text editor can be used. TextWrangler is from BareBones Software, or Emacs and other command line editors found in a "Terminal" window.
    (Note that if you are an iCloud subscriber, you will get the iCloud document selection window when you launch TextEdit from the Dock; click the "New Document" button at the lower left of the display.

Step 3: should say TextEdit Window. No folder exists.

steps 4,4.5, 5, 5.5 are "standard" TextEdit activity.

In the drop-down that pops-up when you save, if you uncheck " If no extension is provided" use .txt" -- it should save as the extension you provide .abc.

I have no idea how OSX deals with .abc files, let alone the Mac Client.

While english is my native language, it doesn't mean I'm good at it ;P fixed the typos I saw.

I followed these instructions.

I am new to the music system, but I gather the way to get the files to play is to have your character playing his or her instrument, then type the command /play filename.abc - correct? When I do this after putting the files in my com.turbine.lotroclient folder, I get an error message that the .txt file can't be found.

Also, there is a music folder in my lotroclient folder. I did not put it there. I experimented with removing the \music from the filenames, moving them into this folder and playing them from there, but I got the exact same error message about .txt files.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000dceda/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Funniez View Post
    I followed these instructions.

I am new to the music system, but I gather the way to get the files to play is to have your character playing his or her instrument, then type the command /play filename.abc - correct? When I do this after putting the files in my com.turbine.lotroclient folder, I get an error message that the .txt file can't be found.

Also, there is a music folder in my lotroclient folder. I did not put it there. I experimented with removing the \music from the filenames, moving them into this folder and playing them from there, but I got the exact same error message about .txt files.
    Close but no cigar...

In the com.turbine.lotroclient folder place:

music\princes.abc

1- Type /music
    2- Type /play princes

Because of the bug "music" is NOT a folder, but a filename containing a backslash then the songname. That file IS the .abc file.

If you start with the file "princes.abc"

THAT file is renamed: music\princes.abc and place in com.turbine.lotroclient

That file IS the .abc file.

I guess I should make that lotro-wiki.com entry more step-by-step.

OK... see: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...ic_work-around
    for a step by step example.
    Last edited by Valamar; Mar 24 2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

That should help with new people.. might also want to add how to make a .abc file on Mac.

Nope, same thing is happening; it seems to be seeing them as .txt files. I may have done something wrong when I saved them in TextEdit. I'm too sleepy to troubleshoot it right now but I'll try and get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: OK, I got it working this morning. It was something in the way I saved the files. I went back and just did a direct download, then dragged them into the correct folder and renamed them as per the instructions on the lotro-wiki page. That did the trick. Thanks again all.
    Last edited by Funniez; Mar 25 2013 at 08:41 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000dceda/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Funniez View Post
    Nope, same thing is happening; it seems to be seeing them as .txt files. I may have done something wrong when I saved them in TextEdit. I'm too sleepy to troubleshoot it right now but I'll try and get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: OK, I got it working this morning. It was something in the way I saved the files. I went back and just did a direct download, then dragged them into the correct folder and renamed them as per the instructions on the lotro-wiki page. That did the trick. Thanks again all.
    I give up... the forums are REALLY screwed today... lets see if this will post.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

sheesh... the forums are worse today than I've ever seen them before....

Lets see if this quickie will post ---

See lotro-wiki.com for an expanded how to.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Saw the updated wiki page, MUCH more helpful now.

Thanks Valamar