We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Post Are you like me? aka. a Kinship application.

I was thinking about what I'd expect from a kin and what I'd like a kin to expect of me and I thought: "Instead of trying new kins out or simply kin-hopping, I'll write the equivalent of a CV stating what I think I can offer, and what I would expect in return. That way, the choice of kin would be the right one, and expectations will be met from both sides from day 1."

So here goes:

What I feel I can offer:
    Politeness - I have often said "hello" to my fellow kin members without any reply, even after repeating it several times. This is paramount for me as I want my kin members to feel welcome and I want to feel welcome myself. Basic common courtesy.

Reputation/task items & crafting gear - I'm a Hunter, therefore I grind the Determination deeds. I get loads of rep/task drops that I simply don't need. I'm also an explorer so I make clothes, leathers, ingots etc. My kin members can have all this free of charge either through a kinship house chest or for pennies on the auction house.

Help - I know just how it feels soloing and really wanting to do a Fellowship quest/Instance and the LFF is silent. I will always assist on Fellowship Quests and the non-time-consuming instances (I have a family, and they obv. come first - however, if it's a long instance, we can always work something out, but unfortunately my time is not my own and I'd hate to have to bail or go AFK mid-Instance.)

Learning/ Giving Advice - I'm a complete MMO newbie but am always willing to impart whatever I have learnt from playing the game, so never hesitate to ask. I'm also a very willing learner so don't be afraid to tell me what to do whilst on Fellowships/Instances as I want to know and want to learn.

What I expect from my kin:

Politeness - (see above)

Gear - I don't mind crafting and grinding for the good of the kin but I expect the same in return. Simple as that really. I'll happily give fex. 100 Khazad-dum Gold away for nothing but would like for something in return as/when needed.

I don't Skirmish as a rule and I certainly don't low-level Skirmish. I play purely for story and character progression and will only really grind deeds. Skirms are ok every now and then but there are many lotro players who Skirm daily - that's ok with me -and ask several times over and over. These players will either be ignored or simply force me to leave the kin. Now you know Skirmishes aren't things you "need" help with. They aren't linked to EPIC story or quest progression and therefore, for me, aren't very important.

Respect - If I feel I can't participate then respect the no and don't keep on asking. If I have to bail, I have to bail - I won't like it either, but I'm 37 years old and my real life comes first! If I make the wrong call and we all die, I'm very, very sorry and I will do my best not to let it happen again - no need for snide remarks. We are all working toward the same goal but you can't learn without making mistakes and newbies make mistakes.

So, do you feel you want someone like me in your kin? Or, does the attitude and atmosphere in your kin live up to the above criteria? Or will I be destined to solo alone for the next 31 levels?

Answers on a postcard....(or underneath)
    LotRO videos! [url]https://www.youtube.com/user/michaelotte54/[/url]
    15.2 Beta roaming threats [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWigcgKf1CQ[/url]

If I could find a kinship that met all those criteria, I wouldn't be constantly kin-hopping. Though I will add one more myself: Kinship must be active. I cannot tell you the number of kinships I've quit because I was the only one on at any given time. I understand real life comes first, but if you're not going to be on for years at a time, why bother joining a kinship? I even quit the kinship I was leader of for this reason.

Thumbs up

Agreed.
    LotRO videos! [url]https://www.youtube.com/user/michaelotte54/[/url]
    15.2 Beta roaming threats [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWigcgKf1CQ[/url]

Aleksris,

One of our members suggested I respond to your post. If you'd like to consider joining the House of Blackrock, it sounds like you would be a very good fit. I have been a member of HoB for 4 years now and the friends I have made in this kinship are the main reason I'm still playing the game. HoB is one of the original kins that was formed when the game was in beta and we pride ourselves on having the nicest, most helpful people as members. We are not a hardcore raiding kin - more casual and laid back. Our members do a little of everything - some like end-game groups, others like to solo, some are mostly into crafting, etc. If you'd like to read more about us, you can visit our web site here:

http://www.hobonline.org

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by cuthalion04 View Post
    If I could find a kinship that met all those criteria, I wouldn't be constantly kin-hopping. Though I will add one more myself: Kinship must be active. I cannot tell you the number of kinships I've quit because I was the only one on at any given time. I understand real life comes first, but if you're not going to be on for years at a time, why bother joining a kinship? I even quit the kinship I was leader of for this reason.
    Agreed. I'm not proud of my kin-hopping, but I too find myself joining "large" kins in which you could expect about 3 people a night to be on. Maybe it's the server, maybe it's the f2p model. But it is aggravating.