We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quest Packs and Story

As the title says, what quest packs have the best story that can be soloed? I understand that the Epic is the big story pull to this game, so are there any quest packs with good enough story to warrant the TP cost invested? Deciding if a second character is needed to get what I want from this game.

*bump

For clarification the epic quest line is free through out all areas even if you don't own any quest packs. Quest packs are usually considered in terms of how many quests there are, the quality of those quests, accessibility such as swift travel routes, the scenery and whether they include instances and the quality of those as well. As to which regions have the best stories that is a difficult and pretty subjective question. I enjoyed stories from angmar and mirkwood the most.

[Warning: long post]

First of all, I'd like to say that the epic storyline quests are free, no matter what zone you're in. Also, all other quests in Ered Luin, the Shire, Bree-Land and the Lone Lands are free as well. After that, you'll have to start buying questpacks and/or expansions to keep doing quests and deeds apart from the epics.

A small overview of my personal experiences of each zone:
    • Evendim: Great area, wide level range and lots of quests, most are doable for solo players. This questpack can bring you from 30-42 easily. It also holds a good storyline where you help several rangers, the biggest part of it is for lvl 50 epic quests iirc.
    • North Downs: not bad, but it overlaps a bit with the Lone Lands and has a lot more fellowship quests than Evendim.
    • Trollshaws: terrible area imo, very few quests, only 3 places where you can pick up quests apart from a few individuals at random locations in the Trollshaws. It takes ages to travel between these points since there is no option to swift travel, except in Rivendell where you can swift travel to major locations in other zones. If you're no hobbit, this is probably the first time you get the chance to meet all members of the fellowship of the Ring, they are all in Rivendell.
    • Forochel: very nice landscaping, the quests aren't bad but not awesome either, big downside is that everything is far apart (not as bad as Trollshaws, and a few possibilities to use swift-travel, but still pretty long travels). Also don't try to swim anywhere except the small lake near Kauppa-Kohta, you'll die in a few seconds because of the extremely cold water.
    • Angmar: awesome storyline, but very grey and depressing after a while. Also a big deal of fellowship quests when you're almost at the end of the zone, especially for the Carn Dûm and Urugarth instances. There's also 1 raid in this area but I've never seen anyone looking for a group to do it. (If you don't know yet: instances are separate copies of the interior of a building, dungeon or some piece of the landscape, they are meant for solo or grouping (up to 6 players), raids are comparable to instances but a lot harder to complete usually, and meant for 12 or 24 people).
    • Misty Mountains: I don't remember very much about storyline in this area so it's probably no biggie. Goblin Town is a nice place though, deffo worth running (especially for the huge amount of Rivendell reputation items you can loot there). - Note: when I say it's a nice place, I mean it's designed in a nice way... You might get tired of that maze sooner than you'd like lol.
    • Eregion: one of my favourite areas, although it's quite small in level range. This zone is also the start for the first book of the 2nd volume of the epic quests, you can start it at lvl 45 and it will grant you your first legendary item (LI, not gonna explain here...). I can't remember any fellowship quests here but there probably are a few.
    • Moria: the first expansion, awesome design, loads and loads of quests and an infinite amount of goblins, orcs and bugs. Almost entire volume II is played here (except a small part right before you enter, in Eregion, and a small part near the end, in Lothlorien). This is also the only option you have to get your character from lvl 50 to lvl 60 without running skirms/instances all the time. Relatively few fellowship quests if you take the size of the zone in mind, and most of them are linked to instances or raids.
    • Lothlorien: beautifully designed, but quite boring since there is only action at the edges of the golden forest... You'll find the fellowship here again (except Gandalf ofc) and talk to all of them.
    • Mirkwood: I don't remember much of this expansion, it's not special either untill you get closer to Dol Guldur. The Dol Guldur instances and raids are the only reason why I'd buy it.
    • Enedwaith: another one of my favourite zones. Lots of quests, nice landscaping, very few fellowship quests and cool storyline.
    • Dunland & Isengard: very nice expansion, Eregion and Enedwaith may help you get accustomed to the people that live here and how they deal with "duvodiad" (strangers). You can get some nice equipment here, the stat bonusses rise exponantially compared to what you found/bartered before.
    • Great River: yet another great zone, with awesome gear and nice quests. This zone has a specific area, Limlight Gorge, which was meant for capped players to keep busy while the devs worked on Rohan. It only contains 3 types of enemies: huorns (living trees), giant spiders and big trolls. Most of them have 68,000-75,000 morale but each type has 2 creatures with around 150,000 morale. It's not too hard when you have a good group, but the bigger spiders may form a problem because they have some adds that give you some massive DoTs (damage over time, in this case you can die within 10 seconds or so because of these). You will have to run a lot of repeatable quests in this area to get to maximum reputation, but the gear you can barter from the reputation vendors is absolutely worth it.
    • East Rohan: currently the latest expansion, is the only area I haven't been able to quest in yet since I don't own it yet... I should have enough TP to buy the full pack in a few days but untill then I can't give you any info about the questing there. I've been there a few times to collect crafting materials though, and the landscaping is awesome. Mounted combat is something I like too but that depends on your class and how you like to play, some people like it while others don't. You can get your first war-steed through the epics in volume III, book 7 or 8 I think (it starts with Galadriel in Caras Galadhon, Lothlorien).
    • Ettenmoors: this is the PVP area, and Freeps (regular characters) can only access it when they are VIP AND lvl 80+. Monster play is accessible when your first character reaches lvl 10). LOTRO isn't really PVP oriented so a lot of players complain that there are several things that could be improved in / added to the moors.
    I hope this helps you a bit... We can't tell you which zones are "the best to buy" because you have to decide that for yourself. Most important is to enjoy the game and the questing/exploring, and not rushing to level cap.

One last thing I'd like to say: I don't know if this is an option for you, but going VIP has a lot of benefits, even if you only do it for 1 month (there are benefits that will be taken away again, but some stay). More info about that here.

Take care & have fun!

Edit: URLs and Ettenmoors
    Last edited by Thornelas; Mar 23 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

Quote Originally Posted by Thornelas View Post
    [Warning: long post]

First of all, I'd like to say that the epic storyline quests are free, no matter what zone you're in. Also, all other quests in Ered Luin, the Shire, Bree-Land and the Lone Lands are free as well. After that, you'll have to start buying questpacks and/or expansions to keep doing quests and deeds apart from the epics.

A small overview of my personal experiences of each zone:
    • Evendim: Great area, wide level range and lots of quests, most are doable for solo players. This questpack can bring you from 30-42 easily. It also holds a good storyline where you help several rangers, the biggest part of it is for lvl 50 epic quests iirc.
    • North Downs: not bad, but it overlaps a bit with the Lone Lands and has a lot more fellowship quests than Evendim.
    • Trollshaws: terrible area imo, very few quests, only 3 places where you can pick up quests apart from a few individuals at random locations in the Trollshaws. It takes ages to travel between these points since there is no option to swift travel, except in Rivendell where you can swift travel to major locations in other zones. If you're no hobbit, this is probably the first time you get the chance to meet all members of the fellowship of the Ring, they are all in Rivendell.
    • Forochel: very nice landscaping, the quests aren't bad but not awesome either, big downside is that everything is far apart (not as bad as Trollshaws, and a few possibilities to use swift-travel, but still pretty long travels). Also don't try to swim anywhere except the small lake near Kauppa-Kohta, you'll die in a few seconds because of the extremely cold water.
    • Angmar: awesome storyline, but very grey and depressing after a while. Also a big deal of fellowship quests when you're almost at the end of the zone, especially for the Carn Dûm and Urugarth instances. There's also 1 raid in this area but I've never seen anyone looking for a group to do it. (If you don't know yet: instances are separate copies of the interior of a building, dungeon or some piece of the landscape, they are meant for solo or grouping (up to 6 players), raids are comparable to instances but a lot harder to complete usually, and meant for 12 or 24 people).
    • Misty Mountains: I don't remember very much about storyline in this area so it's probably no biggie. Goblin Town is a nice place though, deffo worth running (especially for the huge amount of Rivendell reputation items you can loot there). - Note: when I say it's a nice place, I mean it's designed in a nice way... You might get tired of that maze sooner than you'd like lol.
    • Eregion: one of my favourite areas, although it's quite small in level range. This zone is also the start for the first book of the 2nd volume of the epic quests, you can start it at lvl 45 and it will grant you your first legendary item (LI, not gonna explain here...). I can't remember any fellowship quests here but there probably are a few.
    • Moria: the first expansion, awesome design, loads and loads of quests and an infinite amount of goblins, orcs and bugs. Almost entire volume II is played here (except a small part right before you enter, in Eregion, and a small part near the end, in Lothlorien). This is also the only option you have to get your character from lvl 50 to lvl 60 without running skirms/instances all the time. Relatively few fellowship quests if you take the size of the zone in mind, and most of them are linked to instances or raids.
    • Lothlorien: beautifully designed, but quite boring since there is only action at the edges of the golden forest... You'll find the fellowship here again (except Gandalf ofc) and talk to all of them.
    • Mirkwood: I don't remember much of this expansion, it's not special either untill you get closer to Dol Guldur. The Dol Guldur instances and raids are the only reason why I'd buy it.
    • Enedwaith: another one of my favourite zones. Lots of quests, nice landscaping, very few fellowship quests and cool storyline.
    • Dunland & Isengard: very nice expansion, Eregion and Enedwaith may help you get accustomed to the people that live here and how they deal with "duvodiad" (strangers). You can get some nice equipment here, the stat bonusses rise exponantially compared to what you found/bartered before.
    • Great River: yet another great zone, with awesome gear and nice quests. This zone has a specific area, Limlight Gorge, which was meant for capped players to keep busy while the devs worked on Rohan. It only contains 3 types of enemies: huorns (living trees), giant spiders and big trolls. Most of them have 68,000-75,000 morale but each type has 2 creatures with around 150,000 morale. It's not too hard when you have a good group, but the bigger spiders may form a problem because they have some adds that give you some massive DoTs (damage over time, in this case you can die within 10 seconds or so because of these). You will have to run a lot of repeatable quests in this area to get to maximum reputation, but the gear you can barter from the reputation vendors is absolutely worth it.
    • East Rohan: currently the latest expansion, is the only area I haven't been able to quest in yet since I don't own it yet... I should have enough TP to buy the full pack in a few days but untill then I can't give you any info about the questing there. I've been there a few times to collect crafting materials though, and the landscaping is awesome. Mounted combat is something I like too but that depends on your class and how you like to play, some people like it while others don't. You can get your first war-steed through the epics in volume III, book 7 or 8 I think (it starts with Galadriel in Caras Galadhon, Lothlorien).
    • Ettenmoors: this is the PVP area, and Freeps (regular characters) can only access it when they are VIP AND lvl 80+. Monster play is accessible when your first character reaches lvl 10). LOTRO isn't really PVP oriented so a lot of players complain that there are several things that could be improved in / added to the moors.
    I hope this helps you a bit... We can't tell you which zones are "the best to buy" because you have to decide that for yourself. Most important is to enjoy the game and the questing/exploring, and not rushing to level cap.

One last thing I'd like to say: I don't know if this is an option for you, but going VIP has a lot of benefits, even if you only do it for 1 month (there are benefits that will be taken away again, but some stay). More info about that here.

Take care & have fun!

Edit: URLs and Ettenmoors
    I really appreciate all the research it seems like you've done. To make this a little clearer, I came here to try to get LOTR take on the SWTOR stories (every class has a different engrossing story). Because of that I'm trying to pick the best quest packs, and if there aren't enough good story quest packs then it would help me decide whether or not to make another character.

Hmm, well, the typical quests are "kill x mobs of type y", collect this for me, scout that location, and now and then kill a boss mob. There will always be a background story but most questlines are just 1-3 quests long. If you really want a storyline, best thing to do is just do the epics and maybe a few longer questlines, but it's like that in pretty much every MMO...

About creating another character: this is absolutely necessary if you plan on doing everything as F2P, since you can only collect a limited amount of TP on each character. Other than that, it can be a lot of fun to get to know new classes and doing other areas. I personally have 16 characters (including monster classes), spread over 2 servers, and I love pretty much all of them (I only need to play my warden a bit more... I don't like him as much as the others because it's hard to play one if you don't have time to play it on a regular basis).

Again: we can't decide for you how to play this game, it's a journey you have to make and decide which paths you want to follow. We can give you some advice but that's it...

If you have more questions, feel free to ask
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

Quote Originally Posted by Lagro View Post
    I really appreciate all the research it seems like you've done. To make this a little clearer, I came here to try to get LOTR take on the SWTOR stories (every class has a different engrossing story). Because of that I'm trying to pick the best quest packs, and if there aren't enough good story quest packs then it would help me decide whether or not to make another character.
    There is no class specific story like what Swtor has. There is one common story that all classes and all characters participate called the Epic Line.

Classes get a small disconnected set of class content. You will get a quest at 15, 30, two at 50 (can start them at 45) and one at 58. There are three class deed that start at 39.

There is a class reward for completing Epic Volume 2, Books 1-6. Another one for achieving Kindred status with the Guards faction in Moria. The award is different but the content you have to complete is the same.

Burglars get one extra quest to gain the ability to use a club as a weapon. Hunters get a bunch of additional class content in th4e form of Hunter class quests to unlock their travel skills. I do not how Warden unlock their personal travel skills. They are probably like the higher level Hunter travel skills - you have to do some common activity available to everyone - you get the ability to buy your skill - like reach the required standing with the local faction.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 23 2013 at 01:34 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I get that you can't tell me how to play and I thank you for taking the time to respond. This has been really helpful in planning out quest paths!