We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Calling Captains to Greatness!

Hi fellow healers. I am a Captain and we were debating the possible exploits with the new rules for setting bonus.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...=1#post6723105

Basically all lv 85 Captains now run with 2 pieces of Perseverance set from Moors and have a base 6s cooldown on Rallying Cry-RC, our main heal tool. But RC requires an enemy defeat event, something that not always happens every 6s. We "discover" that Ministrels have Call to Greatness to allow us to spam RCs.

When the Fellowship is almost getting wiped just "Call the Captain to Greatness" and he will spam-heal the fellowship for the next 27s. Since Captains already have the best wipe-preventing combo in the game: in Harms Way + Last stand, Captains are the natural target of call to greatness when things get ugly. Properly traited/equipped this can be a blessing in moors or farming Battle for Erebor T2.

The real magic here is that no previous dialogue or warning is necessary: just pop it when you see things get ugly and the Captain will rejoice the 3 defeat events ( most of them will not even realize what just happened).

I play the game since 2008 and NEVER a Ministrel has target me with Call to Greatness. Now that i can fully use all 3 defeat events to mass heal the entire fellowship, i am looking forward to it.

Any feedback or hints would be appreciated in the Captains tread above.

I don't know about other minis but I like to use call to greatness near the start of a boss fight for hunters(+3 focus + 2 focus every 3s -10% threat) Used to use it to help RKs with power regen. Every now and again I would use it for cappy defeat response, but more likely minis will use TS or FH before using call to greatness

Quote Originally Posted by Nerglor View Post
    I don't know about other minis but I like to use call to greatness near the start of a boss fight for hunters(+3 focus + 2 focus every 3s -10% threat) Used to use it to help RKs with power regen. Every now and again I would use it for cappy defeat response, but more likely minis will use TS or FH before using call to greatness
    I think that it was his point. Captain is one of the most useful classes to use CtG on, but it is rarely done by most inexperienced Minstrels. Even if it's just to get War Cry off, it's way more useful than using it on anyone except maybe a tank, or in certain situations, an LM.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Why choose to use Call to Greatness on ONLY one class? That's why the Turbine gods gave us the Ost Dunhoth armor set! Full-Fellowship Call to Greatness FTW! Oh, and hey, on bosses which reset cooldowns upon fight-start (like all the bosses in OD or like the Road to Erebor raids), why not get off TWO CONSECUTIVE Call to Greatnesses?!? Yeah, how hot is THAT. Of course... it might kill your Burglar as they burst through that extra positional damage and pull aggro, but... yeah.

Oh, and btw? When my group needs uber heals? I heal them myself. Captains can bust out their Rally Cries by using Time of Need, if you really think your group needs that Rally Cry right away. Your crit rating should be high enough for you to keep War-Cry up. And there is no way I'm saving such a potent skill just for a Captain because they want to put out a bit more healing, sorry.
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by Nerglor View Post
    For what i learned in your forum, there is an Ost Dunoth set that gives fellowship wide call to greatness. That seems the perfect Farm tool for many instances, especially when CtG is traited for 4m cooldown. Armour swap before boss fights is less risky than during fights.

feel free to use whatever you react first, near wipe situations are decided by fast thinking, as long as the Ministrel remember to check Captain ( which is probably already in Last Stand + In Harms Way) so that the Captain can spam 3 rallying crys.

In Moors this is what i do is: shield brother the Ministrel and when Ministrel falls to focus fire ( Shield of the dunedain lasts only so long) i Last stand + in harms way>cry of vengeance rezz the mini> swap LI> time of need> free defeat response> swap back> rallying cry. The buttons are aligned just to automated this response. Meanwhile if the mini decides to use TS or FH, no problem, as long as she/he uses CtG before my last stand ends- 25s when traited, 15s untraited. If CtG comes in 2s-6s after my "automatic" RC in near wipe situations i can use all 3 defeat responses.

If the fellowship feels that it is necessary, a Captain can burn Time of need Before the boss fight ( 2m30s cooldown on swap LI) but it means no "near wipe RC" as described above during the first 150s of fight. Easier to spend the 10s channeling song of aid before the fight if you want a War Cry. War Cry last 1 minutes, so its probably worth it to channel song of aid before starting the fight.

CtG is not only for cappy... is a grate skill for cappy, minstrel and LM. Generally every minstrel use song of aid at the beginning and at the middle of a fight for cappy "on defeat" buff and healing (put some hot on the fellow prevents a istant aggro on the minstrel). This depends of how much time do you have.
    Btw a main minstrel know how to use that skill. The true question is "every cappy know this skill? every cappy expects this skill?". I suggest you to talk with your kinmates for having that skill at right time.

(ps: CtG have 5min cd is not spammable XD)

edit for: i forgot! CtG is not usable only for Lm mins and cappy but also for hunter and guardian!! +25% threat for 10second is very useful for maximize dps! and + focus on hunter = more damage.
    Last edited by Narghast; Mar 23 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narghast View Post
    Btw a main minstrel know how to use that skill. The true question is "every cappy know this skill? every cappy expects this skill?". I suggest you to talk with your kinmates for having that skill at right time.
    (ps: CtG have 5min cd is not spammable XD)
    I thank all my fellow minis for the input.
    It was never my intention to teach anyone how to best use your class.
    I only wanted to explain minis that now(U10) Captains can make full use of all 3 defeat events. It is my belief that it comes handy in near wipe situations. Captains used to run around with 12-18s cooldown on rallying Cry. Now pretty much every Captain has rallying Cry at 6s cooldown (the others are actually at 0s cooldown, as explained on the link above).

There is no need of previous communication. Captains use rallying crying almost instinctively when a defeat event comes in. Don't worry, in a near wipe situation captains will go for rallying cry first of all 4 defeat-driven skills available.
    I will never told minis to save it for Captains, especially if minis believe it is more useful on other scenarios.

Just keep in mind that after U10 CtG became a better wipe prevention skilll when a captain is available.

And at a 4min cooldown properly traited CtG can also be used in instance farming situations (1 boss fight ~ each 4min) , especially the fellow wide version from OD set for increased damage output from the fellowship. The Annuminas terrrace instance when you must kill adds 30s after the boss falls comes to mind. Sambrog farm as well. Pretty much any farm-able instance around 4-5min cycle can benefit from OD set bonus to CtG. But that is another subject entirely, and certainly outside my knowledge of Mini skills management, forgive me if i am sounding silly commenting on it.

I think its poor practice to use CtG as an emergency skill, it has so many other awesome uses so its a waste to hold it back. Fellowship's heart is just a better skill to use when you need big heals (and your doing something badly wrong if that doesn't keep the group up).

That said SoA also opens up defeat responses, and spamming RC is superior healing to all our regular heals, personally I like to sync it up with oathbreakers and leave the healing to the captain during the channel.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    Why choose to use Call to Greatness on ONLY one class? That's why the Turbine gods gave us the Ost Dunhoth armor set! Full-Fellowship Call to Greatness FTW! Oh, and hey, on bosses which reset cooldowns upon fight-start (like all the bosses in OD or like the Road to Erebor raids), why not get off TWO CONSECUTIVE Call to Greatnesses?!? Yeah, how hot is THAT. Of course... it might kill your Burglar as they burst through that extra positional damage and pull aggro, but... yeah.

Oh, and btw? When my group needs uber heals? I heal them myself. Captains can bust out their Rally Cries by using Time of Need, if you really think your group needs that Rally Cry right away. Your crit rating should be high enough for you to keep War-Cry up. And there is no way I'm saving such a potent skill just for a Captain because they want to put out a bit more healing, sorry.
    ^Using CtG fellowship wide is the way to go. Pop it before the figt with your other cds. Imo theres better classes to use it on than a cappy. If my group is low I will use TS/FH. So using it on a captain just seems like I am being lazy and not healing. :P
    I would rather use it on a tank/dps for extra threat if he loses agro or on a dps in a dps race. But, yes it would work on a captain.

P.S. I think a better skill would be song of aid. For 20 seconds (maybe 10) you will get a defeat response every x seconds. (I think 3)