We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Crit Rating Question.

    Hey, Not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if the crit rating buffs for Pressing attack and devastating blow from the legacy & trait (expert attacks) count towards your crit cap or do they allow you to go beyond the crit cap?

    Basically I'm wondering if it's worth capping my crit rating and if I do will the traits/legacy go to waste?

    Thanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000117d21/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  2. #2
    It is my belief that they do go over cap. I got myself up to 29.8% crit chance back in ROR. My parse showed that my crit chance was 32%.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedNinjah View Post
    Hey, Not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if the crit rating buffs for Pressing attack and devastating blow from the legacy & trait (expert attacks) count towards your crit cap or do they allow you to go beyond the crit cap?

    Basically I'm wondering if it's worth capping my crit rating and if I do will the traits/legacy go to waste?

    Thanks.
    My understanding (which could be wrong) is that generically anything that adds to a rating count towards the cap. Things that add percentages (e.g. LtC 4 piece bonuse) allow the cap to be exceeded...'

    [Edit Armitas says not so, so not sure what the general rule is then for ratings gains vs percentage gains ]

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    [Edit Armitas says not so, so not sure what the general rule is then for ratings gains vs percentage gains ]
    What your saying about rating and % is right. My parses just give me the impression that traits and legacies applied to special skills may be behaving differently or independently. Still not absolutely certain though.
    Last edited by Armitas; Mar 22 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

  5. #5
    A good question that maybe our Capt Dev can answer....Oh Mr. Rock?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedNinjah View Post
    Hey, Not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if the crit rating buffs for Pressing attack and devastating blow from the legacy & trait (expert attacks) count towards your crit cap or do they allow you to go beyond the crit cap?

    Basically I'm wondering if it's worth capping my crit rating and if I do will the traits/legacy go to waste?

    Thanks.
    You probably already know this but just in case - critical Rating is still of use even after you reach 25% because it still adds to your magnitude and will increase the amount of damage you do. So it never really goes completely to waste.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    You probably already know this but just in case - critical Rating is still of use even after you reach 25% because it still adds to your magnitude and will increase the amount of damage you do. So it never really goes completely to waste.
    Question with the crit magnitude (and dev chance and dev magnitude) is: Do the additional gains outweigh the stat cost of the additional investment into crit?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    3,699
    You hit some pretty heavy diminishing returns on the crit/dev mag after you pass the rating cap, so whether it's worth it is going to come down to you.

    IMO, it's probably not worth regearing if your gear choice puts you past the cap by itself, but probably not worth it to find extra crit just to raise your crit/dev mag past the chance cap.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    You hit some pretty heavy diminishing returns on the crit/dev mag after you pass the rating cap, so whether it's worth it is going to come down to you.

    IMO, it's probably not worth regearing if your gear choice puts you past the cap by itself, but probably not worth it to find extra crit just to raise your crit/dev mag past the chance cap.
    Yep. Seems like other priorities (might, survivability) are better investment of limited resources...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Question with the crit magnitude (and dev chance and dev magnitude) is: Do the additional gains outweigh the stat cost of the additional investment into crit?
    You have to keep in mind no one seems to know rather the legacy itself increases the chance to land a critical hit past the cap or not - so it's no foregone conclusion that element of it goes to waste to begin with. My point was what ever the case may be, the legacy is still of use and will add strength to your critical damage. And that's a lot of rating too, so I personally would never consider that legacy a waste.

    Far as generally, I can't answer your question. Too many factors, and would come down to the priorities, preferences and needs of the individual Captain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Far as generally, I can't answer your question. Too many factors, and would come down to the priorities, preferences and needs of the individual Captain.
    That's the point of an open ended question, gets discussion going about the whats, whys, and hows of exceeding the cap.....
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    That's the point of an open ended question, gets discussion going about the whats, whys, and hows of exceeding the cap.....
    Yes I know what you was trying to do. You often try to broaden the context of what I was saying - and that's cool. But sometimes when that is done it it can give the impression I was trying to say something I never meant to imply.

    All I was just trying to say is rather the legacy exceeds the critical hit chance cap or not - the legacy is still not a waste because it will still add to your critical damage and chance to devastate. I wasn't sure if the OP was aware of that, so I felt I should point it out. But I was never trying to say it's a smart thing to focus your stats on critical rating after you reach the 25% ceiling. Some of the above posts seem to indicate they think that's what I was saying, suggesting that would be a waste of limited resources or something like that. But that's not what I was doing. All I was saying is the legacy doesn't go to waste.

    I personally would not stack critical rating past the 25% ceiling if you want my opinion about it. But then critical damage isn't a top priority of mine either. It's a concern, but not something I would sacrifice a lot of other stats to achieve. That being said though, I do believe the devastate legacy it's worthy of a slot.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    158
    I was always under the impression that anything that adding to the rating went up to cap, and anything that added a flat percentage could go over the cap on any stats that have them...

    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...on-and-Offence

    Not sure how much of this post still applies, but it's a reference...

    Cas
    Last edited by Coyote503; Mar 23 2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Viva Lotro!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote503 View Post
    I was always under the impression that anything that adding to the rating went up to cap, and anything that added a flat percentage could go over the cap on any stats that have them...

    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...on-and-Offence

    Not sure how much of this post still applies, but it's a reference...

    Cas
    Thanks Cas .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000117d21/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  15. #15
    I can't account for why my parses were surpassing the cap (full instance parses), but in a few minutes research I found several posts saying that traits/legs do not apply over cap even though they are hidden ratings. Including this one http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?412679-The-Crit-Champion-Vicious-Strikes-and-the-Cap&p=5595846#post5595846


    In my short research I did hear mention that other peoples parses tended to go over their cap for some reason.
    Last edited by Armitas; Mar 24 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    I can't account for why my parses were surpassing the cap (full instance parses)
    In an instance run there are multiple factors that can increase your critical chance beyond the cap, making for higher percentages in parses. A burglar's counter defence is the most common example.

    Instead, I recommend parsing solo so there are no external factors affecting your crit %.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    121
    My dummy parses in snowbourn gave critical between 28-29% in melee, but 32% or more in heals. and the funier stuff is that the heals are much more significant, with a lower margin of error. Its is quite a challenge to parse a single skill like DB enough so that you can be sure that you are critting it truly above cap. but the HoT of our skill are much easier to parse and reach conclusions.

    Something may be happening on on healing criticals, that should be critting about 25%, but 3 15 min parses show numbers in the 31-32% range. ??

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload