We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Noob question...

Hi everyone!

Ok even though i am lvl 16 and playing with my mom who's lvl 12, we do not understand some things.
    Like..i got lucky that i ran into a stranger that out of the blue made 2 weapons for me. But my mom wasn't there so she did not.
    She also wants better weapons and i want to know if i can even make better weapons.
    We are both Champion elves. But we really do not know how to craft. As far as we got was someone telling us that we need to find some master or mistress and when we finally find one, it says that we don't have something to be in a guild ??
    We really would like a step by step guide or something that can help us further even though we are free players...

Leothe

Check out the wiki for starters - http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Crafting

You must have been talking to a Master of Guilds. You need to talk to a Master or Mistress of Apprentices to get started. You should be able to get started in any crafting area, such as in Celondim or Duillond.

You and your mom should check out the vocations carefully, and choose complementary vocations so that you can help one another out, such as Explorer and Armsman.

What server are you on? You might want to look for a kinship that welcomes new, low-level players.

Good luck!

The wiki has a good page about crafting at lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Crafting.

First you want to talk to a Master or Mistress of Apprentices. (It sounds as though you talked to a Master or Mistress of Crafting Guilds instead. That will come later.)

The Master of Apprentices will let you choose a vocation, which is a set of three crafting professions. For instance, if you want to make weapons, you could become an Armsman, which has the Weaponsmith, Woodworker, Prospector professions. Here is a chart of the various combinations available.

Professions are divided between gathering and production professions. For instance, to make a sword you would first start by gathering ore and forming it into ingots with the Prospector profession. Then you would use the Weaponsmith profession to turn those ingots into a sword. This means there's generally two professions involved in creating a finished product. (The scholar profession is a bit of an exception, since scholars can both gather and produce finished items in many cases. Only for some of their dye recipes do they need a farmer to produce ingredients.) A Vocation, having three professions, will have two that work together, so you can both gather and use what you gathered to make stuff, then it will have one unconnected profession, where you need to work with someone else (or an alt) to make use of it.

Thank you.
    We have been looking in Celondim and Duillond but we couldn't find any.
    It was if we couldn't because we are free players.
    Thank you anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Leothe View Post
    Hi everyone!

Ok even though i am lvl 16 and playing with my mom who's lvl 12, we do not understand some things.
    Like..i got lucky that i ran into a stranger that out of the blue made 2 weapons for me. But my mom wasn't there so she did not.
    She also wants better weapons and i want to know if i can even make better weapons.
    We are both Champion elves. But we really do not know how to craft. As far as we got was someone telling us that we need to find some master or mistress and when we finally find one, it says that we don't have something to be in a guild ??
    We really would like a step by step guide or something that can help us further even though we are free players...

Leothe
    Hi there, hope I can help you

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Crafting is a pretty good guide to crafting. If you do not have any craft yet, go to Celondim (you said you're elves) and you know where the winding stairs are? Go up those. You should see a crafting area there, go to the MASTER OR MISTRESS OF APPRENTICES. That's who you want, to choose what craft you want to do. If you haven't chosen one then you can't craft, yeah.

(On another note, since you seem to be really new, I'd suggest bookmarking Lotro-wiki for future use; they have information there on tons of stuff other than crafts).

You can craft various stuff, weapons, armor, jewelry, even potions. To do so, you have to go to a crafting area (like the big crafting shop in Bree) and talk to the crafting master (don't exactly know, how he is called, because I'm not playing the english version) to choose your crafting set. You get 3 quests, which explain how everything works and stuff to try out the new skills and that's it.
    Please note, that I'm not a native english speaker. So if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes, please collect them and send me a title when I hit 200...

Thank you all very much!
    We think that we indeed looked for the wrong master.
    Sometimes it isn't easy being dutch

Oh and Casual Stroll to Mordor has a crafting guide that gives a nice description of each profession (even though it doesn't go into as much detail as the wiki on everything else).

If you and your mom are going to be playing together regularly, some vocations that complement each other well are:

Tinker and Historian:
    Tinker is self sufficent as Prospector & Jeweler.
    Historian is self sufficient as Farmer & Scholar.
    Tinker's Prospector profession can support Historian's Weaponsmith profession.
    Historian's Farmer profession can support Tinker's Cook profession.

Armsman and Explorer:
    Explorer is self sufficent as Forester and Tailor.
    Armsman is self sufficent as Prospector and Weaponsmith.
    Explorer's Forester profession can support Armsman's Woodworker profession.

Armourer and Woodsman:
    Armourer is self sufficent as Prospector and Metalsmith.
    Woodsman is self sufficent as Forester and Woodworker.
    Woodsman's Forester profession can support Armourer's Tailor profession.

Woodsman and Tinker:
    Woodsman is self sufficent as Forester and Woodworker.
    Tinker is self sufficent as Prospector & Jeweler.
    Woodsman's Farmer profession can support Tinker's Cook profession.

A possibility if you each have a couple characters: the combination of Historian, Tinker, Woodsman, and Armourer covers all the crafting professions in the game between the four of them.