We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Quest Packs

Quest Packs

I know I can't do all the content on one character, I am resigned to that. I already have 3 planned out. However, are there any zones that are just so terrible (no story, extremely difficult, etc) that I should skip? I know some are more group oriented and I can deal with that, I have a kinship who I can level with. I just need to know if there are some so bad that a third character would not be needed,

Angmar. My advice: avoid it at all costs. Little story and once it was end-game: hence 90% of quests are fellowship-only. I'm not sure how about you - I could not ask my Kinship "guys help me with 26 quests". Not to mention uninviting, grumpy design; not to mention solo quests than can be done only if you are 10 levels above top-level monster.
    I purchased it - and now do regret every TP spent on grumpy, unfriendly Angmar. I should have purchased green and nice, promising Eregion and level here.

That makes sense. What about North Downs and Trollshaws? I've heard mixed reviews on those two. Good, bad, OK?

Angmar isn't nearly that bad. The first half of it is perfectly soloable, although there are some fellow quests scattered around them too, which means some elites/elite masters to watch out for. There are some good story snippets too, particularly the Fem storyline.

The atmosphere is definitely unfriendly though, as you'd expect of the former home of the Witch-King.

The North Downs is very group heavy, you will have trouble getting from one end of the level range to the other without grouping. Story is.. meh, IMO. Some good, some bad, nothing noteworthy either way.

The Trollshaws is much the same, with the added irritants of difficult to traverse terrain, poor stable travel design, and frankly just a lack of quests. Some great storylines there though, if you care about them that much.

If I were to advise against any zone, it would be the Misty Mountains. Mainly because there simply aren't enough quests to justify the expense.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

I do not like Anmgar or Trollshaws.

Angmar is group heavy content. A lot of group required landscape There is a considerable content that you are not going to be able to do because there is no one up there. The ones that are up are probably like me - picking the low hanging solo fruit as we are leveling before going somewhere else. Come back later on to do group instances with very high level characters

Trollshaws has very little content in comparison many other regions. A lot of the content is again group content in areas with a lot of mobs that require a group to bring down. Tal Bruinen was added later is very solo friendly.

North Downs is best of these three for leveling. Most people these days bypass North Downs for Evendim which is a better choice.

If I had to buy quest packs. I would do Evendim, Forochel and Eregion. Those did not work together because there is a gap for you. I would consider other choices. One good possibility is buy the Path of the Fellowship pack which would give you Eregion, Trollshaws and I forget what else. Do not even mess with Angmar. Buy Forochel and Evendim.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Aw, I like the creepiness of Angmar.

Trollshaws offers no particularly interesting scenery, travel is a royal pain, and quests are not particularly compelling to me.

I greatly prefer North Downs to Lone Lands largely because of scenery, but frankly that level range has never really grabbed me. After the starter zones my goal is always to get to Evendim as fast as possible.

All zones have pros and cons, and it largely depends on personal taste and play style, but in my opinion Trollshaws would be the easiest one to skip and not feel like you're missing out on anything. Misty Mountains would be second to that in my opinion because as the previous poster pointed out, it feels a bit skimpy on quest content.

Thanks all for your replies! Let me be more clear to better help you understand what I look for in a zone. 1) Story. I love it and interesting story is awesome. I can stand a little mediocre storytelling if there is a large connection to the movies though. 2.) Soloability. I know this is an MMO but to be quite frank, soloing is the way I like to play my games. If there is interesting story I can take it, but I would rather solo it if I can. Also, don't say the best zones. I've done some research and have mapped out the best way to level my first character. This is just a way to make sure my later characters are leveling in new and interesting ways without buying zones that aren't worth the time and Turbine Point investment required.

North Downs:
    The biggest reason why North Downs hardly ever gets recommended is simply that most threads about which quest packs to get are looking for enough quest packs to get a character through all the levels. Most of the North Downs overlaps Lonelands in level range, and it's hard for a paid region to compete with a free one. Then the later part of ND overlaps Evendim, which is a very well-designed and popular region that has more quests than the later half of ND does.

Once you go beyond looking for enough content to level, and start looking for alternate paths through those levels, North Downs starts looking a lot better. It's got a lot of good content. Personally, I like it significantly better than the Lonelands, and I suspect that it would get a lot more recommendations if the the Lonelands weren't included as a free zone.

Trollshaws:
    Trollshaws has some nice bits and pieces to it. Its real problem is that those pieces don't flow together well, and there are too many level gaps in between hubs or quest groups. (The fact that it has significantly less than half as many quests as Evendim spread over twice as wide of a level range is a good indication of its biggest failing.) When someone is looking for a region they can level up in, this makes Trollshaws really hard to use for that purpose.

If, on the other hand, someone has multiple regions available which they can alternate between, then it becomes more feasible to make use of some Trollshaws quest hubs. Then when you finish that group of quests and run into one of its gaps in quest content, that just means it's time to head to one of the other regions for a while. So the Trollshaws can provide some nice variety if you don't mind that "a bit here and a bit there" sort of pattern. Just don't plan on staying there the whole time and leveling up in Trollshaws alone.

Trollshaws and the Misty Mountains have the fewest quests, so the least value for your money in terms of the sheer amount of content.
    Last edited by Niwashi; Mar 19 2013 at 06:58 PM.

So what I'm gathering is that all of the zones have their merits and that if I'm going to skip any it should be Angmar? That one is iffy for me because everyone says it has a lot of group content (bad) but some cool story (good). Looks like how much Turbine Points I have will determine that.

The big problem with Angmar is that this region is designed as the level capped (50) playground for players that wanted to do difficult group content. You need a balanced class mix, with decent gear that knows how to work as a team of six or 12 (there is landscape raid content) to complete the quests or even move about safely. There are places were one mistake moving about with a group of six results in a wipe. These days you can revive the Minstrel in the field and rez the entire group. My memories are from when field rez wasn't possible. You have to release maybe 500 - 1,000 meters away. Start the painful process of fighting your way to the goal. We did not have instance finder. You wanted Carn Dum, Uru or The Rift, you needed someone like a Hunter with a tie. Or spend the time walking.

The solo content often has a fun story associated with it. As solo player, you are probably not going to do more than half the content. You probably not going to wander around 30-40% of the landscape. The locals will eat you. Some of us that spent extensive time in Angmar can get around in some of these group areas solo at level. We paid for the knowledge via multiple deaths. You have to decide if moving about in some of these areas. Trying to complete the content via creative methods is worth the trouble.

Another problem is that getting around is very difficult. You need to know how the paths are laid out. Both Imlad Balcharth and Nan Guruth are path driven. Nan Guruth you will be moving about. I need to get up to that road. How the heck do you get up there? If you need to go down not so bad. Often going down to the lower path - leads you into an area where you are going to take a real beating.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 20 2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I would trade grumpy unfriendly forced-fellowship Angmar to friendly Evendim and Eregion. Not sure what about TP return (but if you are planning 3 toons, it may pay off anyway).
    Reason: Evendim is very user-friendly, there are some little stores, so quests with running aroung all the territory, you cain get reputation with Wardens of Annumimas here (+50 Turbine points). And the lore is kind of nice.
    Eregion is almost a paradise: good landscape, lots of ore for us, prospectors, lots of non-overpowered monsters to kill (I managed to kill all named Uruks - solo). There you will get your first Legendary weapon, so it may be wise to do some quests/deeds by the way. The only not-so shiny thing for crafters: no craft sites, no vaults.

I'll echo the dislike of Misty Mountains. Aside from the Helegrod raid, I don't think I enjoyed anything about MM at all. The first few quests in the area aren't too bad, but then you're strung out across the region for the rest of it, there are only two stable points, and Goblin Town is the worst landscape dungeon in the game, imo. (The Goblin Town Throne Room instance isn't too bad, though). There are also a lot of giants all over, which are very tough to solo on-level. And to top off the whole #$!@ sundae, it doesn't have a ton of quests. I don't think it's worth the TP until you're max level and have a kin who wants to do the raid, or you're seriously, seriously bored with every other region.

Angmar is actually kind of a neat region, but it's confusing the first time you go through (make sure you stay up with the epic questline!!!), and if you don't have people to level with, it's hard to experience the majority of it. I skip it on all my alts, sadly, but I originally leveled there with other people and it was a lot of fun. It *is* very dark colored, though - much like Moria, as soon as I entered the next zone, I was so happy to see the sun!

Trollshaws is another spread out region, and while it isn't as bad as MM, it still has loooong stable rides and a ways to go between quests. It's also pretty light on quests. And the story is, imo, so-so. Not great, not awful. It *is* very annoying to try to ride around at night there - trolls patrol the rode, though I hear they only threaten now, not aggro right away (lucky newbies :P).

I agree with Niwashi that North Downs is usually looked down upon because it costs TP. It's not a bad area. I don't really love it, but it's unoffensive. (Wow, talk about faint praise....) I think it's similar to the Lone Lands, but I think it's not *quite* as good at quest areas/givers as the Lone Lands. It's still pretty standard, a sort of middle-of-the-road area.

I agree with the above posters about Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. Trollshaws is just too painful to go through. Small hubs far apart, a lot of running back and forth, and annoying maze-like canyons and ravines. If I was to run it again, I would stock up on mithril coins for zipping between quest givers. Misty mountains is much the same, except it's easier to go from A to B without having to travel around the entire map to get somewhere. (slightly exaggerated, but not much.)
    When it comes to North Downs and Angmar, it depends on if you are a completionist or don't mind skipping a quest here and there. None of the group quests will stop you in your tracks, they can be skipped without losing the 'line of progression'. Both of them are enjoyable alternatives. The 'doom and gloom' feeling of Angmar is very atmospheric, especially with the dead trees like skeletal hands reaching for the sky. It becomes almost like a duty to keep the Angmarim from corrupting the rest of middle-earth and turning everything to dust and ash in their wake. And rep items for both the Council of the North and Esteldin are very easy to get, so even if you skip North Downs altogether you can get kindred with North Downs easy.

Lonelands is pretty bleak and gets a little boring, like a desert with a few trees and later two swamps that don't really make up for 75% of the rest of the tedium. But it's free. Way back in the beginning before I became VIP I bought North Downs, not knowing it was overlapping both Lonelands and Evendim/trollshaws, and I am glad I did. I skip between Lonelands and North downs now, making sure all deeds are done in both and enjoying the quests.

The choice between Forochel or Angmar is up to personal taste I feel. Both are good, Forochel is set a little higher, at lvl 44 vs Angmar's 42, and you will suffer from the cold and have to find or build (hunters) campfires from time to time to remove the weakness to cold, but apart from that, it's dark and gloomy vs frost-white. Both are desolate places. Luckily book 6 will bring you to Angmar, and the books are free, so you can get an idea of the land before choosing Angmar or Forochel to purchase.
    V.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Leaning more towards leaving Trollshaws and Misty Moutnains alone now. What about the higher level one like Lothlorien and Great River? Are they worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagro View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Leaning more towards leaving Trollshaws and Misty Moutnains alone now. What about the higher level one like Lothlorien and Great River? Are they worth getting?
    Assuming you have plenty of funds - both areas are enjoyable, in my opinion. Lothlorien is occasionally a bit annoying, because it's also a bit spread out (plus you have to dismount to go up and down trees all the time!), but it has good quests and really lovely scenery.

Great River is a bit boring to look at, but I thought it was laid out really well - each area progresses from the next. Limlight Gorge is a tough area that I found a lot of fun on-level, but you do need a fellowship most of the time. However, that entire area can be skipped if you need to, though there is a separate reputation faction tied to just that area. Besides Limlight, the rest of the area felt very similar to previous areas of the game. That's not a bad thing! But it's not really unique. I'd still recommend it for a smooth leveling experience.

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys! Time to get TP farming and leveling. Altoholism calls!