We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14

    New Smaug tattoo *NEED HELP FROM SOMEONE FAMILIAR WITH KHUZDUL*

    [IMG][/IMG]

    So I recently decided to get a tattoo of Smaug, as well as one of my favorite quotes from Tolkien "Not all those who wander are lost" written below it.

    I went ahead and transcribed the quote from English to Khuzdul using this website:
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Khuzdul

    The only issue I have just now noticed (after getting the tattoo) is that in many Khuzdul writings, there are dots in between words, rather than spaces.

    My question is if I should get dots put in between the words or if it is fine the way it is.

    Also, I got the words transcribed letter by letter from the quote in English to the letters in Khuzdul. I mainly did this because language has not been fully written out by Tolkien. Is this okay?

    Anyway, I hope all of my questions make sense, and let me know what you think about the tattoo!
    Last edited by Doodle352; Mar 18 2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: grammar
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000306255/01000/signature.png]Grundimo[/charsig]

    I'm pretty sure I'll still be a noob at level 65 :eek:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle352 View Post
    The only issue I have just now noticed (after getting the tattoo) is that in many Khuzdul writings, there are dots in between words, rather than spaces.

    My question is if I should get dots put in between the words or if it is fine the way it is.
    Some form of 'dots' are traditional in runic inscriptions (real ones, not just Tolkien's) so it'd be more 'authentic' that way, but it's really up to you.

    Also, I got the words transcribed letter by letter from the quote in English to the letters in Khuzdul. I mainly did this because language has not been fully written out by Tolkien. Is this okay?
    Absolutely, because Tolkien did that several times himself, writing down modern English using runes - you can see that in both The Hobbit and LOTR. He does that whenever what's written is supposed to be in the Common Tongue, because he uses English to stand in for that throughout.

    Nice Smaug, btw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,350
    First off, i'm not a lore expert, so, sorry, can't answer your question.
    Second, that's a bad &&& ink, bro.
    Third, chances are, nobody's going to comment on typo mistake on your Khuzdul ink. Chances are, 99 out of 100 people that see that tattoo will ask you for what it means and you will tell it to them and they'd go "aaaah. nice!". So don't worry too much about it
    *Sapience stuff deleted*

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14
    Thanks!

    I guess my main question is would a dwarf be able to read this?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000306255/01000/signature.png]Grundimo[/charsig]

    I'm pretty sure I'll still be a noob at level 65 :eek:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle352 View Post
    Thanks!

    I guess my main question is would a dwarf be able to read this?
    Don't over-think it. The 'real' answer would be no, because nobody's 'really' speaking English in the books; Tolkien just used modern English to stand in for the Common Tongue. He was pretending (for the sake of storytelling) to be translating and retelling ancient tales, you see. A 'real' inscription in the Common Tongue that a 'real' Dwarf could have read would have to actually be in that language (which we can't do). Complicated, isn't it?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Don't over-think it. The 'real' answer would be no, because nobody's 'really' speaking English in the books; Tolkien just used modern English to stand in for the Common Tongue. He was pretending (for the sake of storytelling) to be translating and retelling ancient tales, you see. A 'real' inscription in the Common Tongue that a 'real' Dwarf could have read would have to actually be in that language (which we can't do). Complicated, isn't it?
    By 'this' I'd guess he meant his tattoo as in "Would a Dwarf be able to read the text on my arm?". I could be wrong though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    By 'this' I'd guess he meant his tattoo as in "Would a Dwarf be able to read the text on my arm?". I could be wrong though.
    Of course he did, but it's in English. Think about it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Of course he did, but it's in English. Think about it
    It's not in English as it's written in Khuzdul.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    It's not in English as it's written in Khuzdul.
    It's English written in runes, man, read the thread. (Or better still, just look at what that tat actually says!)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Don't over-think it. The 'real' answer would be no, because nobody's 'really' speaking English in the books; Tolkien just used modern English to stand in for the Common Tongue. He was pretending (for the sake of storytelling) to be translating and retelling ancient tales, you see. A 'real' inscription in the Common Tongue that a 'real' Dwarf could have read would have to actually be in that language (which we can't do). Complicated, isn't it?
    Ahh... this clears up a lot. I figured there wouldn't be any completely correct way of writing it, but remembering that common tongue in middle-earth isn't technically english
    Thanks again!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000306255/01000/signature.png]Grundimo[/charsig]

    I'm pretty sure I'll still be a noob at level 65 :eek:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    It's English written in runes, man, read the thread. (Or better still, just look at what that tat actually says!)
    Ah lol, I misread transcribed as translated, sorriii

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload