We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which skirmish soldier for a new minstel?

I'm a returning player, I have been away from the game for years. My minstrel got to level 20, and is ready to start skirmishing. I mainly solo, my minstrel will be traited for DPS, and I'd like to keep my play style as similar as possible to how I normally play and quest. So I reckon I'll mainly be doing damage in War-Speech, and healing myself.
    All the threads I found about skirmishing areyears old, from when you couldn't really heal in war-Speech. So what do most minstrels run with nowadays?

personally I'm doubting between a few options:
    Warrior adds DPS, but used to run ahead and pull mobs before you're ready for them. Also, I can't heal him in WS.
    Archer adds ranged DPS while I take the agro, this might be a good option. Can i survive large groups though, as a clothy?
    Herbalist heals, so I won't have to heal myself and IIRC she can tank a bit as well since she just keeps healing herself. Might be a problem when fighting groups though, I don't have an AoE (yet). Might be slow going.
    Sage debuffs, I can't remember exactly what else she does.
    Protector tanks, which means I can safely deal damage from behind my meat-shield. I can't heal him though unless I drop WS.

Any advice or recommendations? I'd rather not waste my skirmish points by sticking them into a useless soldier.

Skriming Mini!

get the protector .... if u solo skrim (which u will be doing at lvl 36 to 83 - since none use the LFR system).

Protector is garbage.
    I'd recommend going with the Archer. You'll be able to survive most adds via self-heals and attacking while on the move, and the archer will help you take them down while not getting himself killed.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Herbalist or Sage are, in my opinion, the two best options.

Herbalist is simple - she heals you and gives you power back (not a big deal now, but they might change power stuff in the future). She's also the least likely to get you into trouble by accidentally aggroing mobs. There's pretty much never an occasion where she's not useful.

Sage has a tactical mitigation debuff that means your spells hit harder. They also have some very impressive single target damage. Their damage debuff is handy at lower levels, but at higher ones, doesn't seem to have as much effect (disclaimer - I haven't skirmed with my sage in several months, certainly not since U10, so this might be out of date. I also didn't crunch any hard numbers.)

Do NOT get a warrior or a protector. I've tried both (leveled to 65 when it was the cap with a protector - such a horrible, horrible idea). They get in your way, aggro mobs too far away, and die pretty quickly. As you said, you need to drop from WS in order to heal them.

Bannerguard - they'd have the same problems as a warrior or protector, I would guess - running up to mobs, etc.. I don't know if their buffs & minor heals offset that issue or not, I've never tried one.

Archers aren't too bad - good dps, stay back and out of the way. The sage is also ranged, though, and has that tact mit debuff, so if you're going to go for a dps soldier, that's still the one I'd recommend.

Overall, I really suggest herbalist or sage. I find the herbalist more useful, generally, but I take the sage if I'm in a group and/or want to run the skrim as fast as possible and am willing to take a slightly riskier approach.

Quote Originally Posted by SRavenlock View Post
    Herbalist heals, so I won't have to heal myself and IIRC she can tank a bit as well since she just keeps healing herself. Might be a problem when fighting groups though, I don't have an AoE (yet). Might be slow going.

Any advice or recommendations? I'd rather not waste my skirmish points by sticking them into a useless soldier.
    Just my 2 cents... but know that you really can't go wrong in any direction:

I go with the herbalist for the reasons you state. I take care of DPS, and with the extra heals I can get a little wreckless (i.e. faster) and still be safe. Addtionally, you save money in not having to retrait the soldier for raids (non-passive soldiers can cause problems in raids).

The only other point I would make... I don't invest in my soldier until I hit the cap. YMMV, but the higher the level you are, the cheaper it is to level your soldier. If you do a skirmish at level 20, you can spend 30 minutes in there and will get 6 marks (roughly). You can do the same skirmish at level 85, spend the same amount of time and it will relatively be the same level of difficulty only you will get 200 marks (roughly). Pluss the skirmishes level you up outside of quests... so I avoid them until I'm good and leveled, and then I'm not burnt out when I'm ready to raid and/or solo skirm for the really good rewards. Not saying don't do them, but my personal preference is to wait and level via questing.

Herbalist or Sage are, in my opinion, the two best options.

I'm happy with my Sage.

I like her better than the Herbalist, because
    a) she does a good job in solo skirms (if there's anything I do not need, it's additional healing, not even in WS), and
    b) in group skirms / skraids everybody profits from her debuffs. And everybody and his mom runs with a pocket healer anyway.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

Protector works good in solo skirmishes. She can survive a lot damage even with just some offhealing in WS. For group herbalist or sage could work better, since leveled and traited protector can take agro from tank.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000004f6f95/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I have two minstrels on different servers.. One is 30 ish and one is 85. The 30 ish one has a sage. The sage is well behaved, self surviving and makes things go boom quicker. The 30 ish minstrel either DPS's or heals, depending. The sage is levelled up a bit higher than the minstrel. This helps a lot.

The 85 only has herbalist for skraids and group skirms-mostly at tier 2. Both the herbalist and the minstrel heal, usually. Sometimes Peralda gets to make things go boom a bit first. Culpepper the herbalist, always heals. I often forget to get out my soldier in skirms when soloing. I am thinking of getting Peralda a sage for soloing skirms after my experience with the sage at lower levels.

Had a warrior and a protector at earlier levels. Couldn't get the hang of either. YMMV.

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

Thank you all for the replies. It seems I can't go wrong with either a herbalist or a Sage. I'll give the sage a try for now, it sounds like an interesting combination with my minstrel. If it doesn't work out, I'll swap her for a herbalist