We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Battle of Erebor hunter trick

So I use my melee skills so seldomly, that I hadn't even considered this until today. Anyways, I found that if you go full melee/barbed arrow on the troll when the ranged shield is up, and then go full ranged when the melee shield is up, it increases your dps output tremendously! In the group I was in, I was sustaining like 750 dps on the troll when the ranged shield was up and I was using only ranged skills, but when I went full melee I was able to easily do twice as much dps...the improvement was huge! I think that since hunters are able to do either melee or ranged damage it might give groups a benefit to bringing more hunters as opposed to just stacking a bazillion burglers! Even though a melee hunter is obviously nothing to write home about, I will say I do have a new-found respect for all of my melee skills lol.

I can confirm that it is very useful.
    Also I found that using Strenght Stance on Laugshat can increase your dps since you deal fewer ranged blows but with higher damange.

Who would have thought that one day we would have complained of having few melee skills??!!

i went and put on 25% melee crit multiplier legacy on my spear,helps alot too.and since im blue line for erebor huntsman, i trait for -cd on melee skills too

I used to wonder the point of even having regular weapons in hand as opposed to say, gatling crossbows strapped to each arm that chews everything up and spits out the little peices, but after melee-ing a few BfEs i find a weapon in each hand is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by faenordal View Post
    I can confirm that it is very useful.
    Also I found that using Strenght Stance on Laugshat can increase your dps since you deal fewer ranged blows but with higher damange.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves... Bigger hits do not (always) equate to better DPS. DPS is damage per second, the faster you hit, the better your DPS overall - not the harder your hits. I've yet to really encounter the situation where that extra 10% dmg out performs the faster hits you get using Precision. I suppose it would depend on your traiting/gear, but overall bigger hits =/= better DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves... Bigger hits do not (always) equate to better DPS. DPS is damage per second, the faster you hit, the better your DPS overall - not the harder your hits. I've yet to really encounter the situation where that extra 10% dmg out performs the faster hits you get using Precision. I suppose it would depend on your traiting =/gear, but overall bigger hits =/= better DPS.
    Precision does not make your attacks faster...It will give you more focus per second and increase your cit magnitude which are bot h very important but your physical attacks wont go faster...Fleetness will increase the rate of your attacks for example because it decreases attack duration.

That being said...Larger overall hits could equal higher DPS if the the number of attacks stayed constant.

Both the amount of damage each attack does and the rate at which the attacks are both used to calculate the DPS of the hunter. A hunter's DPS is related to doing as many attacks as you can within a certain time frame and also having those attacks do as much damage as they can. A good example of this is using focus attacks over induction based attacks. Focus attacks have no induction and hit for higher damage then an induction based attack...For example QS vs PS.

A main source of a hunter's DPS depends on critical hit chance because of our critical magnitude multipliers. Therefore as a hunter you should focus on trying to reach the crit cap of 25% and then stack as much mastery as you can to increase your base damage for all of your attacks. As an end game hunter currently you should have cap crit and ~40k mastery fully buffed.

Hope this helps,

Rav

Quote Originally Posted by Ravdor View Post
    Precision does not make your attacks faster...It will give you more focus per second and increase your cit magnitude which are bot h very important but your physical attacks wont go faster...Fleetness will increase the rate of your attacks for example because it decreases attack duration.
    I never stated specifically that Precision increases your attack speed, but I admit I was remiss in noting properly why it does this vs Strength.

But you are correct, harder hits can equal better DPS if the attack rate remains constant. Which it does not in Strength, as you must spend more time building/maintaining focus as opposed to the benefit(s) that Precision gives.

I've heard people talking about hunters meleeing in BfE on the ranged resist boss, but just finally got around to actually attempting a parse with it like that. And even with having to wait on long cooldowns and slower attacks, melee does do more DPS. I don't think I'd devote the resources into a swap weapon just for that, but it's definitely something to keep in mind during that particular fight, especially is the group if ranged-heavy.

Why would a hunter target the ranged resist boss?

When the buffs swap bosses.... why not just switch targets?

Like... yeah. I don't get what you guys are talking about.

Ranged should be attacking the boss that has -incoming melee damage. When the buffs swap and your target is now -incoming ranged/tact damage.... you hit tab or click the other boss, and then you are once again attacking the boss with -incoming melee damage.

Is every one in this thread for real? Or is this just all sarcasm and it went over my head?

You have two bosses. One with -incoming melee and one with -incoming ranged/tactical.

The ranged/tactical dps attack the boss with the -incoming melee. The melee dps attack the boss with -incoming ranged/tactical. When the buffs switch between the bosses the ranged/tact and the melee will then switch targets, so that they are still doing 100% damage.
    Last edited by Ravyrn; Apr 05 2013 at 06:42 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C7CF92][img]http://i.imgur.com/9rGw1Yd.gif[/img]
    Misadventure - R14 Hunter, Fatwanda-1 - R10 Guard
    Velvetsixteen - R13 Reaver, Reported - R11 Warg, Gloriousleader - R10 WL[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyrn View Post
    You have two bosses. One with -incoming melee and one with -incoming ranged/tactical.
    I think you're forgetting that unless you're using Blood Brothers (which nobody does on T1 or T2) one troll is likely to die before the other one. What do you do when that one troll has the -incoming ranged shield? Just not attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyrn View Post
    Why would a hunter target the ranged resist boss?

When the buffs swap bosses.... why not just switch targets?
    In an organised run (kinship) you would be perfectly right.

However in a pug you do what the leader tells you to do or you are out. It looks like the most common approach of the pugs is to dps one troll then another. Whether it is a rational decision or not is of no importance here. Only once I encountered a pug leader who asked hunters to switch targets... and the result was astonishing: a minstrel refused to heal because the inferno phase started when both trolls were still alive. Of course we wiped. Instead of replacing the healer the leader decided to change tactics to the one "most accepted by public" and all hunters were attacking the boss with the ranged shield.
    Ishtarien - Captain 105
    Ishtarel - HNT 105 / Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Lunasa - MNS 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    In an organised run (kinship) you would be perfectly right.

However in a pug you do what the leader tells you to do or you are out. It looks like the most common approach of the pugs is to dps one troll then another. Whether it is a rational decision or not is of no importance here. Only once I encountered a pug leader who asked hunters to switch targets... and the result was astonishing: a minstrel refused to heal because the inferno phase started when both trolls were still alive. Of course we wiped. Instead of replacing the healer the leader decided to change tactics to the one "most accepted by public" and all hunters were attacking the boss with the ranged shield.
    Thank you for reminding me why not to PuG. + rep

I've only ever run this at T1, with pugs, being in a small RP Kin. One troll at a time is the safe, sure method. I'm not sure any of the pugs i've been in could do it at T2, with all the target switching and dps balancing. Rarely do people have working voice. I'm usually just grateful if people have hytbold armour and the other hunters don't open up with heartseekers while the guards are running towards their designated trolls.

I've learned to just roll with whatever happens in pugs. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it.