We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrittainTheCommie View Post
    People really don't like hearing or knowing how madbad they are at a game.
    The truth hurts. You best keep yo mouth shut or you're a mean elitist troll, trolololol.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyloo22546 View Post
    The truth hurts. You best keep yo mouth shut or you're a mean elitist troll, trolololol.
    We don't have a channel on FF called Leetest for nothing. xD
    Brittain. Fidel. KimJongIl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasdun View Post
    I'd say it is because the relative qualities like "good", "fun", "strong" etc. of a thing only have meaning compared to other things. Our brains are constantly comparing what we are currently experiencing to past experiences to determine our feeling about the experience. Rare things by definition are experienced rarely and hence we typically give them more value.

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
    Difficult and easy support each other.
    Long and short define each other.
    High and low depend on each other.
    Before and after follow each other."

Tao Teh Ching
    Thanks very much.
    [font=Viner Hand ITC]"It's better to be hated for what you are,than to be loved for what you are not!"[/font]

Originally Posted by BrittainTheCommie

People really don't like hearing or knowing how madbad they are at a game.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyloo22546 View Post

The problem with that is, there is always someone better until you reach the one best gamer.

Just as in life when people compare themselves to others in various ways. One is not in the elite category of money makers, so the truth hurts. One is not in the elite category of romantic relationships, so the truth hurts. One has not reached the elite rung of one’s profession, so the truth hurts. One is an athlete that has not reached the elite level, so the truth hurts. One’s kids have not reached an elite level so they as parents have not been elite and the truth hurts. ect. ad-infinitum

Or one could take an alternative route and not put their eggs in the elite basket. The choice is ours to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Orisk View Post
    Since when has an MMO been successful from throwing everything at the players for free? ...
    This isn't happening though. Making something accessible and giving something away for free are drastically different concepts.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior

Quote Originally Posted by RKL View Post
    The problem with that is, there is always someone better until you reach the one best gamer.
    The whole notion of trying to be one of the best is understanding that there will always be someone better than you.

The whole notion of trying to be one of the best is understanding that there will always be someone better than you.
    Then you have no objection to people having their own ideas about what areas of the game they will choose to be one of the best at, and getting the best gear for their efforts.

Then you have no objection to people having their own ideas about what areas of the game they will choose to be one of the best at, and getting the best gear for their efforts.
    While we're waiting for his answer, would you be so kind as to define for me what one could do to be the "best" crafter? What about the "best" soloer (in a game where, due to fundamental game design, it's impossible to create solo content that is equally challenging to all classes)?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ulver - 85 Runekeeper | Grevling - 85 Burglar

Quote Originally Posted by Gylve View Post
    While we're waiting for his answer, would you be so kind as to define for me what one could do to be the "best" crafter? What about the "best" soloer (in a game where, due to fundamental game design, it's impossible to create solo content that is equally challenging to all classes)?
    I don’t know about crafters, I have not given it any thought.

I do not agree that it is impossible to create solo instances tailored to each class depending upon which class enters the instance. If the idea of difficulty being the basis for rewards is valid, (a highly debated point) then solo instances might be a good way to go.

Separate is inherently unequal. There's no way on earth I'd trust Turbine to develop solo instances that would be equally challenging for everyone (look at Sword Halls challenge, then pity the Burglars who try to do that one). Plus, even if they could somehow pull it off, it still wouldn't really be "the same" for everyone because some classes (champs) have almost zero abilities that affect your fellows while others (captains) are effective because of what they can provide a fellowship. AoE heals, in-combat rezzes, group buffs....none of these things affect NPC's because they're not your fellows. The toolkit for requiring equally complex, challenging play by players of all classes simply doesn't exist for solo situations in LotRO. Look at the failures of the most successful attempt at this: skirmishes. The AI simply isn't good enough to have NPC characters cover the other group roles that would allow your toon to play to its fullest ability.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ulver - 85 Runekeeper | Grevling - 85 Burglar

What it does is devalues the game.

e.g. we ran 3 erebors T1, took about 7mins a pop and got 3 symbols.
    our first T2 Smaug took about 9 tries over 2 nights, and we got relics and bounties.

quite simply this massive rush of 1st agers is gonna create a huge spike in store sales. Conspiracy theory ? mmmm

What happens when we alll pretty much have a 1st ager?

I'm not even going to go into quality game content v quick win farms, incentives and what-not. If there are still people out there who still dont get it by now, no point labouring the point.

Just keep farming the easywin content, defending the storefest tactics, criticising those people who defend quality. Good for you, great you racked up, facerolled for 7 mins and got a 1st ager. Great, smashing, super. You deserve it, after all you had a hard day at work, some people are just so elitist. After all who cares about quality or even Tolkien for that matter. Why bother cooking a meal when you can step into a Crapdonalds and get a happy meal and add to the profits of an organisation who manipulate your behaviour to make $. yippee.
    Last edited by Martigan; Mar 14 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gylve View Post
    Separate is inherently unequal. There's no way on earth I'd trust Turbine to develop solo instances that would be equally challenging for everyone (look at Sword Halls challenge, then pity the Burglars who try to do that one). Plus, even if they could somehow pull it off, it still wouldn't really be "the same" for everyone because some classes (champs) have almost zero abilities that affect your fellows while others (captains) are effective because of what they can provide a fellowship. AoE heals, in-combat rezzes, group buffs....none of these things affect NPC's because they're not your fellows. The toolkit for requiring equally complex, challenging play by players of all classes simply doesn't exist for solo situations in LotRO. Look at the failures of the most successful attempt at this: skirmishes. The AI simply isn't good enough to have NPC characters cover the other group roles that would allow your toon to play to its fullest ability.
    I disagree. Turbine can make solo instances that 24 people could not beat, if they were allowed in. Scaling down to the level of each solo class should present no special trouble. They could make solo instances that are beaten less frequently by the best gamers in the game (whoever you claim them to be) than the raid ones are. In that case, if the difficulty equals rewards theory is valid, then soloers should get the best gear in the game.

I disagree. Turbine can make solo instances that 24 people could not beat, if they were allowed in. Scaling down to the level of each solo class should present no special trouble. They could make solo instances that are beaten less frequently by the best gamers in the game (whoever you claim them to be) than the raid ones are. In that case, if the difficulty equals rewards theory is valid, then soloers should get the best gear in the game.
    I surmise that some of the best soloers are also some of the best PvMPers and subsequently some of the best raiders.

90-95% of the LoTRO population would still be SoL. Which people still can't comprehend.

And yes, when being the top Crafter requires the same amount of "skill", effort, and investment as top-tier raiding, then yes, they are more than welcome to have top-tier crafting gear.

I surmise that some of the best soloers are also some of the best PvMPers and subsequently some of the best raiders.

90-95% of the LoTRO population would still be SoL. Which people still can't comprehend.

And yes, when being the top Crafter requires the same amount of "skill", effort, and investment as top-tier raiding, then yes, they are more than welcome to have top-tier crafting gear.
    Assuming your theory about what makes players deserving of the best gear is correct; then we can agree that Turbine needs to start devoting much more of their devs time to developing solo instances and crafting ways to get the best gear, as well as taking into account the bulldogs who have the mental skill and tenacity to grind way past what others are capable of doing.

Turbine needs to start devoting much more of their devs time to developing solo instances and crafting ways to get the best gear...
    And at that point, Turbine should remove LoTRO from the MMO genre.

Turbine needs to start devoting much more of their devs time to developing solo instances and crafting ways to get the best gear
    Such a solo instance has just been released, its called Tomb Raider.

And at that point, Turbine should remove LoTRO from the MMO genre.
    220: 221; whatever it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by husaragi View Post
    but then i dont hear any raiders crying that its too easy to get elder king symbols from the 200 lootboxes they have been saving int he bank....waiting utnil the devs change them to drop FA symbols. if you are concerned that elder king symbols are too easy then you should just give away the ones you get from lootboxes and only keep the ones that you got from doing a challenge....
    Afraid that won't be possible 'cause I don't open lootboxes at all. I make my gold selling boxes and keys to those that enjoy the 'lottery'.

And to be honest, and from what I've heard, you're much better off farming t1 raids than opening boxes. It's cheaper, faster ad more likely to drop a symbol.
    And then, forever remains that change from G to E minor.

Oh please stop with that myth about raiding taking some special skill and effort.
    Progression raids, especially if done without any guides and detailed instructions, yes they require some skill and effort but overall patience and time. Once the raid is learned all it takes is not to be an idiot and listen to what you are told. What I admit seems to be extremely difficult task for some people...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    Once the raid is learned all it takes is not to be an idiot and listen to what you are told. What I admit seems to be extremely difficult task for some people...
    That's just not consistent with the evidence though. Take Orthanc as an example. On-level, only 26 kinships beat the entire raid, and yet 127 kinships posted regarding their T2C Lightning kill. If someone was motivated enough to voluntarily post their progression, but then not ultimately beat the raid there must have been a very very tough difficulty barrier that the vast majority just couldn't get through. Further, I'm sure many more people raided it casually on T1 and never even got to Lightning T2C.

Some of us can't even find somebody willing to do any of the new group content, let alone get any drops out of them. I'm doing just fine with my 2nd age bow, and I don't have a clue what all the pokemon-card-style jewel trading in glff is all about, nor do I care. I'd just like to see what the new content is. I don't get why people are so worked up about what other people have.

Maybe you should take a look at this here ...
    http://www.squidoo.com/the-benefits-of-playing-mmorpgs

Some people need to seriously ask themselves: "Why do I play this game"

Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    Oh please stop with that myth about raiding taking some special skill and effort.
    Progression raids, especially if done without any guides and detailed instructions...
    Get back to me when you have actually completed an on-level raid.

Nice try, nonetheless.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...3/activitylog/

Get back to me when you have actually completed an on-level raid.

Nice try, nonetheless.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...3/activitylog/
    Did you actually read all 54 pages? Or did you even notice it only goes up to last year?
    I wont even say a nice try, coming from someone who is hiding behind an anonymous username
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
    I'm not even going to go into quality game content v quick win farms, incentives and what-not. If there are still people out there who still dont get it by now, no point labouring the point.

Just keep farming the easywin content, defending the storefest tactics, criticising those people who defend quality. Good for you, great you racked up, facerolled for 7 mins and got a 1st ager. Great, smashing, super. You deserve it, after all you had a hard day at work, some people are just so elitist.
    You are mostly right, but you miss something very importnat. The fact FA are dropping in T1 has nothing to do with the quality of the raids. ONCE AGAIN, FA were dropping in original OD, but it was still a great raid and there was enough incentive to do T2.
    If FA were dropping only from T2 Erebor this would not make those stupid raids any better.

The real issue is the very poor quality of those so called Erebor raids, not that you can get FA from T1.
    Add to that the current system to distribute raid loot and you got a really epic nonsense.
    I hunt. I kill.

Warden by destiny, Hunter in the heart.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast