We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Who know maybe they will be adding legendary weapons from Numenor then Valinor in future updates. Make 1st agers seems like purple trash. :P

Quote Originally Posted by fett666 View Post
    Who know maybe they will be adding legendary weapons from Numenor then Valinor in future updates. Make 1st agers seems like purple trash. :P
    Numenor would be Second Age. Every Dunadan worth his salt has a bunch of those levelling up to decompile for relics.

Valinorean LIs are all in the Undying Lands. They don't let them leave, ever since Feanor did his Epic Flounce back to Middle Earth.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

1) a First Age item is supposed to be a powerful, rare item. It's supposed to be a reward for those who go above and beyond, in learning and mastering the raids. It's helpful to see legendary weapons as a sort of Olympic medal system: Bronze / 3rd Age - You showed up and tried. Silver/ Second Age - You're pretty good, but not the best. Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.

2) Not everybody is equal. I know we like to pretend that, but the fact is, some people are better than others. We see this written right into The Lord of the Rings. During the main story, Samwise is Frodo's manservant. Now, we have all these ideas about slavery and wrong it is to be below someone, but the fact is, it's a simple truth of the world. Some people are superior to others. We have mechanics, and we have Ph.D's. That doesn't mean a mechanic's son can't be a Ph.D., or vice versa, but the fact is that this difference exists, and a mechanic shouldn't get to wear a Ph.D.'s robes when he goes to a graduation ceremony -- just as a person who isn't a dedicated raider shouldn't expect to have a first age weapon and better gear. Entitlement is rampant, but the fact remains: If you don't have the talent, if you don't have the skill, if you don't put in the time, you shouldn't get the reward. There are other rewards more suited to your level and your interests.

..... So what does it say when I have the 'skill and time' to run 10 Flights of the Lonely Mountain Raids, 50 Battle for Erebor Raids, and 1 successful Fires of Smaug Raid and I have not received a 1st age symbol when others have run equal or less and have won 2 or more symbols. Doesn't seem that fair, but I agree that not everybody should be getting them every time. I don't feel like I'm going to spend 488 seals to barter for a symbol when so far I have only earned just under 200 seals for raiding pugs everyday since release of U10, some days playing from 7am-9pm and only earning 1-3 seals per run. By the time I have earned 488 seals, which will be 2 more weeks at this rate, other players will have possibly won another 1-10 symbols! ....just saying I feel like I'm betting on a horse race or playing the pokies at the end of each raid, and of course in real life I do not do these activities simply because I never have the luck and rarely ever win. Just looking for a fairer system where the RNG is not out to get me.

Always the eye of the beholder...

Reading through all the threads this week a parralel struck me.

First Ages = Bankers Bonuses.

The attitude seems to be that only the worthy are entitled to them. Bonuses arnt for the unwashed masses. Only the special & deserving few need bonuses to stop them moving somewhere else. You have to limit bonuses to the few to retain the best talented.

That would be the "best talented" who have lied, cheated, mis-sold, almost destroyed the financial system, bought the capitalist system to the edge of destruction & ruined the lives of millions of people in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by TexN View Post
    I Feel the same, even though I probably will equip one or two.

The slackers got what they wanted. Now it's time that define if you can get good lot or not.
    Not much with how good you/the group are.
    Gear obtained in groups NEVER indicates anything about an individual's ability, all it means is that at the very least 11 others were willing to carry them.

Only gear obtained in SOLO content is an indication of individual skill.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhope View Post
    During the main story, Samwise is Frodo's manservant.
    Maybe so. However, Samwise was the *real hero* of the story. Had it not been for Sam, Frodo would never have never even made it to Mount Doom....

The solution to all this madness is simple:

Remove or severely decrease the Elder King symbol drops from T1 content.

It's either that or bring back the weekly locks. Personally, I vote for both. Else, this will continue to be the 'Lord of the Farms Online'. People farming (yes, farming) raids all day long, and then what?

Think of it as a kid on a sugar rush. It has to crash eventually.

@OP
    If you get a 1st age symbol, can you send it to me please?
    I don't understand how they are so devalued, the values on the weapons are great.

Oh ... you mean the "look at what I have" prestige. Well, I can't say that I feel even remotely sorry for you.

Btw, I don't have one, since I don't want to grind all day long. I rather play content as it comes, something different every day if possible. I have not a single gold item (except for the nerfed draigoch cloak), and ony one bracelet I feel I need to get rid off, the pocket item and the necklace could be better, but they are good enough. I do my job in instances, I have fun.
    The value of fun for me is a lot higher than the value of some shiny equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemiire View Post

Remove or severely decrease the Elder King symbol drops from T1 content.
    No, the solution is much much simpler:

Remove or severely decrease your attitude.

Have more happiness in your life, you don't need to show off to feel good.
    Last edited by Neumi; Mar 14 2013 at 04:25 AM.

If a casual player managed to get a First Age, congratulations! Now they have to find the means to max it out with: Starlits, a Crystal of Remembrance, multiple Scrolls of Empowerment, and max-tier relics. If that casual player wishes their First Age to look like what mine will look like from the first hour I have it, then they have a long journey ahead of them.

Think of it as a gateway drug- more people running the content is a good thing.
    Brynhildn Mistress Over Fear
    [B][COLOR="#FFD700"]Sons of Numenor[/COLOR][/B], Est 2008, calls on all seeking an [COLOR="#FF8C00"]established[/COLOR], [COLOR="#E399FF"]mature [/COLOR]and friendly community! Share your path with us and help build your home in a unique Kinship where you belong! [URL="http://www.sonsofnumenor.com"]SonsOfNumenor.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by WhimsicalPacifist View Post
    If a casual player managed to get a First Age, congratulations! Now they have to find the means to max it out with: Starlits, a Crystal of Remembrance, multiple Scrolls of Empowerment, and max-tier relics. If that casual player wishes their First Age to look like what mine will look like from the first hour I have it, then they have a long journey ahead of them.

Good post, I think you hit the spot right on.
    Almost everyone (except those who don't want to farm Erebor) has a chance to get the best stuff, but it has to be improved, either by playing end content where T2 offers higher chances or by visiting the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    No, the solution is much much simpler:

Remove or severely decrease your attitude.

Have more happiness in your life, you don't need to show off to feel good.
    Can you point to where, exactly, I showed up? Pretty please?

Here's a smile for happiness. I'd add a kitty and some bacon but now, THAT would be some epic showing off.

But if you're nice and do show me where I was showing off -cookie points for redundancy- maybe I'll link some unicorns and babies cuddling puppies for extra happy points.

Firstly I'm not a raider (or very often anyway), I don't really care what other players have or don't have relative to me but I'm happy for individuals when they get good stuff.

I DO think that the timing is now right for first age items to be released into the game but I also just get a gut feeling that there are too many goodies (FAs and other bling etc) all at once for the good of the game. That isn't to say that I think that "leets" should have sole shout on first ages but it just feels at the moment the drop rate of stuff is way too high and people are gorging themselves to the point that they will get bored very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WhimsicalPacifist View Post

But that casual might just be content to have a first age at all without the bells and whistles simply because it is still an improvement on what they already have and it makes what they do a bit easier. It doesn't follow that they want to max out everything on an item they might just decide to pimp up the runes and setting a bit and forego the crystals.

Can you point to where, exactly, I showed up? Pretty please?

Here's a smile for happiness. I'd add a kitty and some bacon but now, THAT would be some epic showing off.

But if you're nice and do show me where I was showing off -cookie points for redundancy- maybe I'll link some unicorns and babies cuddling puppies for extra happy points.
    Oh, I was so sure you wanted something exclusive and rare that others don't have.
    You say you didn't want something exclusive and rare? Sorry, my bad.

I'll have some bacon please. That's not exclusive, everyone can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catburg View Post
    But that casual might just be content to have a first age at all without the bells and whistles simply because it is still an improvement on what they already have and it makes what they do a bit easier. It doesn't follow that they want to max out everything on an item they might just decide to pimp up the runes and setting a bit and forego the crystals.
    So is it a bad thing he is content? Or that it makes playing a bit easier for him?

Oh, I was so sure you wanted something exclusive and rare that others don't have.
    You say you didn't want something exclusive and rare? Sorry, my bad.

I'll have some bacon please. That's not exclusive, everyone can get it.
    Still waiting to see a quote of me 'showing off'. :P

Come on, don't change your own words now.

But humor me: how is 'wanting' something showing off?

For the record, I already have one symbol and will be happy if I manage to get just one more. I don't care who else has it or whether or not they spent TP on it. But if you had at least bothered to read my whole original post before jumping on that high horse or pony, you'd know that my concern is not WHO has a first age, but WHERE this is leading the game.

You really think it benefits the community to have people farming T1 instances all day long? What will we do when everyone wanting one has a first age and all the other loot?

Don't you think it would be better for game play and keeping interest bringing back the weekly locks? And having symbols drop on T2 so people have something to work for?

THAT was the point of my post. Now please go have some candy or something and relax. And next time, read the whole thing so you don't start uninformed patronizing rants on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhope View Post
    1) a First Age item is supposed to be a powerful, rare item. It's supposed to be a reward for those who go above and beyond, in learning and mastering the raids. It's helpful to see legendary weapons as a sort of Olympic medal system: Bronze / 3rd Age - You showed up and tried. Silver/ Second Age - You're pretty good, but not the best. Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.
    Unfortunately what you think it should be and what it is/was are two very different things.

SHORT HISTORY OF LEGENDARY ITEMS FROM THE FIRST AGE
    Level 60 items were random drops from raids + barter item. You could have get your bartered FA for maximum of 6 weeks if you did only Turtle once weekly, or eventually just one week if you did both Turtle + Watcher + Dar Narbugud and were lucky. All those raids were mid-grade in difficulty and were finished by many kins. FA items were pretty much available to anyone who wishes to invest some time raiding on a weekly basis.
    Level 65 items were dropping only in the Ost Dunhoth raid, but both TIER ONE and tier two. There was at least one wing that was easy enough at tier two with challenge to farm first agers on a weekly basis. FA items again were pretty common for those who do some raiding weekly.
    Level 75 - the elitist dream - FA items dropping only on tier two and guaranteed only for challenge mode. Putting are TRADEBLE item in the most hard raid the game ever had... wow! This made the few who finished the raid insanely rich indeed.
    You can see why they cry so loud now - not becouse FA items used to be that rare or special ever in the history of LOTRO, but becouse they cannot sell those for 3000+ gold anymore.

I agree there is serious issue with the random drop generator called remote looting in raids. Some group dont see any symbols for 100 runs while others got 3 per run. This is completely wrong.

I agree there is serious issue with absence of locks for raids. TURBINE FIX THIS! The way to stop farming is not by further nerfing the loot, it is by implementing locks for scalable instances!

We have to go back to Master Looter AND Raid Locks, simple as that. No more mindless farming, more time to actually play ALL available lvl85 instances. And NO to elitists wishes for excusiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyKOko View Post
    I agree there is serious issue with absence of locks for raids. TURBINE FIX THIS! The way to stop farming is not by further nerfing the loot, it is by implementing locks for scalable instances!

We have to go back to Master Looter AND Raid Locks, simple as that. No more mindless farming, more time to actually play ALL available lvl85 instances. And NO to elitists wishes for excusiveness.
    The potential problem with raid locks on the current new raid content is that all three raids are essentially "lair" raids (like the Watcher or Turtle) and go pretty fast. They're also fairly fun (at least to me). Now, I myself don't have as big a problem with locks on them (I'd be happy to go do OD at 85 and some other stuff), but I know a lot of folks don't care to go back to old raids, even if they've been scaled.

Also, just a minor point on your history of First Age legendary items: Originally, just the Watcher was available. Later, Turbine added the Turtle, and then finally Dar Narbugud. I agree with your point though.

I don't want locks. They are artificial delays that prevent me from enjoying the content whenever I want, provided that all the other conditions (including forming a group) are met.
    I don't want to be forced to do rehashed instances either. I have done them enough, nothing new there, I'm already yawning just thinking about the idea. Your point may be that I will be bored farming the same raids, perhaps, but at least the choice is mine.
    Remove choice, insert artificial gates just for the sake of them, and you will get what you really wanted: dead servers.

Some analyse the Durchest farm and Erebor farms as detrimental... I don't see how. Servers activity have never been that much high than during those periods. It's bad for the servers themselves only which are technically stressed.

I farmed the t1 raids over and over for days and won nothing. Then 1 evening i won 2 symbols + the gold cloak. I was happy, bartered a &&&& load of scrolls and now i got 2 perfect weapons. Then i haven't played seriously on that char for 2 days.

The game is all about the farm nowadays, once you got what you want you can quit the game. There is no incentive for me to play/farm for gold braces, gold pocket, gold this, gold that anymore.

Oh well i still join if my kin needs someone to farm.

But mainly i'm now playing my 6 weavers.

What i mean is that it doesn't matter who got a 1st ager, it's useless anyway.

Still waiting to see a quote of me 'showing off'. :P
    He never said you were showing off .. he said that the obsession with hardcore raiders being the ones who should have first age weapons was because they wanted to "show off" what they had earned, he just didn't say it very well.

seems like a rather odd reason to not equip a first age.

i feel like - wow my 1st ager!.... now what?

So is it a bad thing he is content? Or that it makes playing a bit easier for him?
    It isn't a bad thing at all that's exactly my point. The fact that it is an improvement anyway without maxing it out means that it's definately worth having.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast