We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Lvl 85 1st Ages Are So Devalued I'm Not Going To Equip One

Just a FYI devs. I spend plenty of $$$ in the Turbine store but you won't see any from me to upgrade to a 1st age. Congrats, and thx.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000091e20/01003/signature.png]Eaynfrith[/charsig]
    Total Time Played This Week: 27 hours
    Total Time Spent in Skirm's: 11 minutes

I Feel the same, even though I probably will equip one or two.

The slackers got what they wanted. Now it's time that define if you can get good lot or not.
    Not much with how good you/the group are.

Lord of the Rings Online, Update 10: The Great Diabloification

So you are having fun farming them and selling to make lots of gold?

And why would you need to spend any money in the Store? What does a FA symbol have to do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
    Just a FYI devs. I spend plenty of $$$ in the Turbine store but you won't see any from me to upgrade to a 1st age. Congrats, and thx.
    Thanks for sharing but it is of little concern to me what your character equips, as it should be to you what anyone else has. The only thing that has any affect on your game is your own gear.

Quote Originally Posted by paperslug View Post
    Thanks for sharing but it is of little concern to me what your character equips, as it should be to you what anyone else has. The only thing that has any affect on your game is your own gear.
    Nor should it be a concern to you, and sincerely glad to hear it isn't because if it were, that'd be weird.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000091e20/01003/signature.png]Eaynfrith[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid View Post
    So you are having fun farming them and selling to make lots of gold?

And why would you need to spend any money in the Store? What does a FA symbol have to do with that?
    I'm a gamer, not a farmer...so I honestly haven't logged in for days. When the drop rates get reset I'll jump back in. Thanks for your concern about my habits though

Everyone can get a 1st age ... and that's bad because ... ? Oh, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post

Everyone can get a 1st age ... and that's bad because ... ?
    1) a First Age item is supposed to be a powerful, rare item. It's supposed to be a reward for those who go above and beyond, in learning and mastering the raids. It's helpful to see legendary weapons as a sort of Olympic medal system: Bronze / 3rd Age - You showed up and tried. Silver/ Second Age - You're pretty good, but not the best. Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.

2) Not everybody is equal. I know we like to pretend that, but the fact is, some people are better than others. We see this written right into The Lord of the Rings. During the main story, Samwise is Frodo's manservant. Now, we have all these ideas about slavery and wrong it is to be below someone, but the fact is, it's a simple truth of the world. Some people are superior to others. We have mechanics, and we have Ph.D's. That doesn't mean a mechanic's son can't be a Ph.D., or vice versa, but the fact is that this difference exists, and a mechanic shouldn't get to wear a Ph.D.'s robes when he goes to a graduation ceremony -- just as a person who isn't a dedicated raider shouldn't expect to have a first age weapon and better gear. Entitlement is rampant, but the fact remains: If you don't have the talent, if you don't have the skill, if you don't put in the time, you shouldn't get the reward. There are other rewards more suited to your level and your interests.

3) I don't get what this idea is, that what other people do don't matter, as long as that makes them happy. If my neighbor is running a meth lab, I am going to report him, even if he derives great pleasure and riches from it. While the matter of gear is certainly less drastic, it still has an effect on the community. It's an unneccessary ego rush, and it's a way of convincing people that they're better than they are, just because they have the gear. Just because you have the gear, doesn't make you a good enough player to merit it. Try playing on Bullroarer, if you don't believe me. I'm a decent LM and Minstrel, but I'm a &&&& warden, guardian, and burg; I don't expect to be able to play them at endgame, just because I feel like it. I know what I can do.
    Caralie Carlin of Arkenstone
    "There is suffering in the light; in excess, it burns. Flame is hostile to the wing.
    To burn and yet to fly, that is the miracle of genius." -- Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by zachhope View Post
    It's helpful to see legendary weapons as a sort of Olympic medal system: Bronze / 3rd Age - You showed up and tried. Silver/ Second Age - You're pretty good, but not the best. Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.
    It's helpful because...that's not how the system works at all? You're imposing a personal belief structure on a game mechanic.

2) Not everybody is equal. I know we like to pretend that, but the fact is, some people are better than others. We see this written right into The Lord of the Rings. During the main story, Samwise is Frodo's manservant. Now, we have all these ideas about slavery and wrong it is to be below someone, but the fact is, it's a simple truth of the world. Some people are superior to others. We have mechanics, and we have Ph.D's.
    So...I can take my car to someone with a doctorate in, say, sociology, then? Because if that person is superior, he or she certainly ought to be able to change a timing belt.

3) I don't get what this idea is, that what other people do don't matter, as long as that makes them happy.
    Some people have this crazy notion that this is a computer game which is meant to provide entertainment.

it's a way of convincing people that they're better than they are, just because they have the gear.
    <grumpy old man voice> 'N then 'twon't be long til the COMMIES take over!

EDIT: you should pay attention to Bendin (post below mine), who is capable of making a cogent and relevant argument about the problem with FA availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendin View Post
    It's a potential problem simply because it might possibly ultimately hurt longevity, here is why:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendin View Post
    Once someone and all his/her friends has bling what's left to do?
    Real life case in point: I had a kinmate (who's since moved on to other games) who was always fretting about "finishing" his character. He griped about the grind to get whatever gear he needed and about how much he disliked dealing with the RNG. Not long before Moria launched, he got his Champ to a point where it was "finished", in his eyes. What did he do now that his glorious character was perfected? He, er...stopped logging in. Said he was bored and there was no reason to do anything.
    Last edited by Solien; Mar 13 2013 at 08:55 PM.
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: roxxi manor

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    /snip

Everyone can get a 1st age ... and that's bad because ... ? Oh, yeah
    It's a potential problem simply because it might possibly ultimately hurt longevity if it's too much too fast, here is why:

Once someone and all his/her friends has bling what's left to do? chat? we live in a social media world with other/better avenues to chat. craft? much of it can/is done afk. RP? ok I'll give you that one. Music? it's bugged for groups quite often. Festivals? they are becoming more and more monetized. As we saw with hytbolt as people started finishing up unique logins started dropping for various reasons.

As this is a theme mmo and not a sandbox individual players have to work just a little bit harder to "create" their own immersion once "funneled" content is consumed. The faster it's consumed; the faster other forms of entertainment start looking attractive. The whole carrot/stick principle.

Normally in phases like this it's the people one plays with that has the biggest determinative factor on one continuing to log-in thanks to social interaction. With the xploision of 5 minute pugs whom you'll never talk to again, the social barrier to exit is lessened.

If there was anything worthwhile to use said 1A's on it might be a dif story but since the rewards to T2c is pretty much a useless horse, you do the math on how many even bother. While at the same time, absolutely nothing else in game needs 85 1A to do.

If WB/T is not careful this could well become another STO with only the IP/F2P keeping it on life support. I don't see it gaining market share and certainly not creating market share with the current tack. It's not, after all an uncontested market space.
    Last edited by Bendin; Mar 13 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
    I'm a gamer, not a farmer...so I honestly haven't logged in for days. When the drop rates get reset I'll jump back in. Thanks for your concern about my habits though
    you dodged my question:

First Age Weapons:

I have a Guardian, lvl 62 now, with 3 1st agers, lvl 60 of course. I spent a few months to earn the lvl 65 1st agers I have for him on storage. THEN..... I went ahead and got him 3 lvl 75 1st age materials to get someone to make them into 1st age weapons.

You can say you wont equip a 1st age item np, but the devaluation seems to me, to be the e-peen it used to have until now.

There is never such a thing as uniqueness in an MMO. We all play within the same item base. To use a 1st ager over any other is personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. I would hope the OP would wake up and realize, that using an item in the game is entirely by choice, not by necessity. I love to play the game in the many variations it offers all of us, and in this instance, I want to use First Age items to the fullest. I hope you enjoy the game and wish you the best.

1) a First Age item is supposed to be a powerful, rare item. It's supposed to be a reward for those who go above and beyond, in learning and mastering the raids. It's helpful to see legendary weapons as a sort of Olympic medal system: Bronze / 3rd Age - You showed up and tried. Silver/ Second Age - You're pretty good, but not the best. Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.

2) Not everybody is equal. I know we like to pretend that, but the fact is, some people are better than others. We see this written right into The Lord of the Rings. During the main story, Samwise is Frodo's manservant. Now, we have all these ideas about slavery and wrong it is to be below someone, but the fact is, it's a simple truth of the world. Some people are superior to others. We have mechanics, and we have Ph.D's. That doesn't mean a mechanic's son can't be a Ph.D., or vice versa, but the fact is that this difference exists, and a mechanic shouldn't get to wear a Ph.D.'s robes when he goes to a graduation ceremony -- just as a person who isn't a dedicated raider shouldn't expect to have a first age weapon and better gear. Entitlement is rampant, but the fact remains: If you don't have the talent, if you don't have the skill, if you don't put in the time, you shouldn't get the reward. There are other rewards more suited to your level and your interests.

3) I don't get what this idea is, that what other people do don't matter, as long as that makes them happy. If my neighbor is running a meth lab, I am going to report him, even if he derives great pleasure and riches from it. While the matter of gear is certainly less drastic, it still has an effect on the community. It's an unneccessary ego rush, and it's a way of convincing people that they're better than they are, just because they have the gear. Just because you have the gear, doesn't make you a good enough player to merit it. Try playing on Bullroarer, if you don't believe me. I'm a decent LM and Minstrel, but I'm a &&&& warden, guardian, and burg; I don't expect to be able to play them at endgame, just because I feel like it. I know what I can do.
    More ‘raider entitlement mentality’; how refreshing. You want Olympic Gold medals but you want them for everyone who finishes an event and not just for the best at the event. You want Olympic medals, but you only want them for team events and not for individual events. Sorry Jesse Owens, you should have never had the chance to go to Berlin in 36 to teach Adolf a lesson. Also, the devs are the PhDs; the rest of us are just mechanics playing the game.
    Last edited by RKL; Mar 13 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Gold / First Age - You're an accomplished gamer, and you managed to get lucky with the RNG roll.
    That is arrogant presumption. We can be VERY accomplished players and still not like raiding. SOME of us like the process better than the end game and I see no reason why we should have to be punished for it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000889b7/01005/signature.png]Perigard[/charsig]

So you deserve a first age weapon but because other, undeserving people also have them now it devalues it for you so you don't want it?

I'm sure Turbine is going to lose a lot of sleep over the TPs you aren't spending on a 1st ager. Oh wait, all of those undeserving people will need to upgrade their 1st agers and they will buy many more things from the store that you would have.

1) a First Age item is supposed to be a powerful, rare item. It's supposed to be a reward for those who go above and beyond, in learning and mastering the raids.
    Or..you know..anyone who's earned significant $$ by going 'above and beyond' in any number of ways from mining nodes to crafting pots. And it has always been that way so I'm not getting the point.

Here is the point: More accessibility to the first age weapons = more $$ spent in the store to beef them up.

But there's always been more than one path to a Legendary.

The present end game raids are not that challenging. Getting a first age item is mostly a function of getting into a reasonable group and getting lucky with rng. Orthanc on tier 2 was very challenging I still haven't completed it. The present raids can be completed in a few minutes with a capable group. Getting a first age in this environment is not a great accomplishment therefore it is appropriate that they aren't a huge upgrade. I think you might only be considering dps. How many more legacies point do first ages get than second ages?

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    The present end game raids are not that challenging. Getting a first age item is mostly a function of getting into a reasonable group and getting lucky with rng. Orthanc on tier 2 was very challenging I still haven't completed it. The present raids can be completed in a few minutes with a capable group. Getting a first age in this environment is not a great accomplishment therefore it is appropriate that they aren't a huge upgrade. I think you might only be considering dps. How many more legacies point do first ages get than second ages?
    It used to be 830 and 750 if I remember correctly.

IF "everybody" had a Ferrari would you drive a Yugo because Ferrari's were just too common for you?

I've been trying to come up with a response to how pointless and sad this thread is, but every time I start typing up something about "first world problems" and how "hardcore gamers should take the effort they put into raiding and apply it to making the world a better place", I find myself slightly guilty of the same thing: sitting here in a computer chair getting fat and developing circulatory problems instead of doing something less selfish with my life. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachhope

While you may think grinding away at raids is the only ones worthy of an accomplished gamer thus being the only one able to attain precious loots, I on the other hand think that grinding away at the forge all day would make me a master smith over the years able to forge the best of blades.

I find your thinking of a good gamer quite funny!

So, what you wanted all along was some status symbol to brag about and not an item that would improve your character in combat then. Good for you, OP.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Considering the flood of complaints that the raids are too easy, this hardly applies anyway.

Matter of fact, with how easy people seem to be farming the raids that were just released, it is fair to say that raiders do not need First Age items for progression, so there is argument enough to not make them exclusive to raids

The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast