We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

MAC Client will not update properly

The last several days since the update have been a lesson in futility. The MAC client would not update properly. I have had to start and stop in 10+ times. Then after it finally updates and restarts the files are screwed up and it won't play. I removed the TM from the file name as was a hint in the forums, that didn't really make a difference. I have never had any issues until this time.

Any suggestions - I did redownload the client from Steam...same thing again.

I found an old client and transferred it over - it started updating...same thing

Quote Originally Posted by mattkma View Post
    The last several days since the update have been a lesson in futility. The MAC client would not update properly. I have had to start and stop in 10+ times. Then after it finally updates and restarts the files are screwed up and it won't play. I removed the TM from the file name as was a hint in the forums, that didn't really make a difference. I have never had any issues until this time.

Any suggestions - I did redownload the client from Steam...same thing again.

I found an old client and transferred it over - it started updating...same thing
    One thing I have recently discovered...

Do you have any kind of "anti-virus" checking software which also checks websites for malware -- such as "avast! free for Mac" ?

If you do, disable that web checking (webshield).

See the thread:
    "avast! virus protection prevents Mac Client startup - An Update Error Occurred"
    for details.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thumbs down

Nope that is not the problem for me have the same kind of trouble...

The LOTRO Client (Mac or PC) uses "HTTP" to update itself and the various data files.

Anything which "interferes" with this traffic can and will cause problems -- your ISP, the Internet Backbone, Turbien's ISP, Turbine's Internal network.

Sadly, there are no easy fixes, especially for the end user, EVERYTHING requires that you "try again." -- with no guarantee of positive results. I do not have anywhere near enough information (especially about Turbine's Internal Network) to even begin to guess what is actually taking place.

Quite literally, the only way to "see" what is happening is with some form of "Packet Trace." But then that only tells us what is actually happened -- after the fact -- and really gives us no idea WHY it is happening, and therefore what needs to be done to circumvent (let alone fix) the issue.

The main advice I can give you -- make certain that the OSX Firewall is completely disabled, and disable any Virus checking software you have -- especially anything which claims to protect you from Web based malware. ... Then try again.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

If you haven't done so already you could try repairing permissions on the drive the lotro client is on incase file permissions got screwed up.
    It may not work but can't hurt.
    To do this launch disk utility in utilities in your Application folder, then select your hard drive down the left side, click repair disk permissions, you can also check your hard drive for errors from here.

Thanks, this one helped me out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2a223000000102b2d/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]