We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

War steed speed goes up and down - Will this ever be addressed?

Running full on with my war steed, I have, from their introduction, always been subject to speed fluctuations. You surge in speed, fast, then slower, fast, then slower. It's extremely annoying. I thought update 10 might address it, but no, as bad if not worse than ever.

THIS IS NOT RUBBER BANDING. Different issue entirely.

Fios 20Mb connection, decent enough computer (specs in sig). It happens everywhere--not just rohan. Turned off various settings (I'm usually on ultimate) but nope. Doesn't fix it. No other processes running, anti-virus off. Is this just Turbine's servers?

Does anyone out there achieved consistent war-steed speeds when just running in a straight line without often seeing these changes? If so, what's your secret??
    Last edited by daneyul; Apr 29 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    Does anyone out there achieved consistent war-steed speeds when just running in a straight line without often seeing these changes? If so, what's you're secret??
    Yup. No secrets. I just... um... ride?

Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    Yup. No secrets. I just... um... ride?
    I've tried on a few computers now and all do it. So, you're on high or ultra settings, directx 11, and you can run, say, full speed through Harwick with the speed staying consistent?

Do you have a particularly high end computer?

I've tried on a few computers now and all do it. So, you're on high or ultra settings, directx 11, and you can run, say, full speed through Harwick with the speed staying consistent?
    Yes, well, unless I run into a wall.

Do you have a particularly high end computer?
    Not really. ASUS i5 3GHz 8GB RAM ATI Radeon Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    Yes, well, unless I run into a wall.
    Not really. ASUS i5 3GHz 8GB RAM ATI Radeon Win7.
    Walls! That's it! I think you're on to something!

Oh well, thanks. Every computer I've tried it with seems possessed then. Sometimes it's fine, but then I get that fluctuation. Just enough to drive me crazy. Maybe it's just some kind of server lag--but don't get it anywhere except when on a war steed.

Walls! That's it! I think you're on to something!

Oh well, thanks. Every computer I've tried it with seems possessed then. Sometimes it's fine, but then I get that fluctuation. Just enough to drive me crazy. Maybe it's just some kind of server lag--but don't get it anywhere except when on a war steed.
    I get it too. It's not just at high speed, either. Put your horse at a slower pace and watch it for a while. On a flat, straight path, it will usually fluctuate pretty quickly. Of course, there's often something close by, so I am usually more interested in not getting knocked off my horse...

Happens to me frequently. It makes me feel queasy and causes me not to enjoy the war steed as much as I would like to.

The slingshotting is still an issue accross the board. There may be people who don't notice it due to being on low-population servers or whatever, but the underlying problem is there. The worst for me is in towns when I try to jump over something, but my speed goes up and down while riding in a straight line across the plains too.

Turbine needs to do something. As it is it stands as a black eye on an otherwise fine game, and it severely hurts what could otherwise be a decent mounted combat system.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000055ca/signature.png]Thax[/charsig]

The only way I've found to keep my steed steady at max speed is to keep pressing the W key. I cannot just set it and forget it. If I hit a hill, I slow down, unless I keep that finger on W.

I had also noticed that when I click the "Dash" skill, I would not accelerate to the new top speed automatically. Again, I need to keep on the W.

Note that I have not changed my war steed options fro the default set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    The only way I've found to keep my steed steady at max speed is to keep pressing the W key. I cannot just set it and forget it. If I hit a hill, I slow down, unless I keep that finger on W.

I had also noticed that when I click the "Dash" skill, I would not accelerate to the new top speed automatically. Again, I need to keep on the W.

Note that I have not changed my war steed options fro the default set-up.
    True, best thing to do is press bloq num to toggle auto run on

Check the Auto-Slow-Down toggle in the settings panel. If you have that checked, your steed slows down when you stop pressing W.

If you have auto-run on, the horse will not slow until you take toggle auto-run off.

Also check, the acceleration rate points on the yellow side of the skill tree (shift M). Max out the yellow side to help with turning, acceleration rate, and max speed.

The other items mentioned: sling shot, stop n go, are all on Turbine's side.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Check the Auto-Slow-Down toggle in the settings panel. If you have that checked, your steed slows down when you stop pressing W.

If you have auto-run on, the horse will not slow until you take toggle auto-run off.

Also check, the acceleration rate points on the yellow side of the skill tree (shift M). Max out the yellow side to help with turning, acceleration rate, and max speed.

The other items mentioned: sling shot, stop n go, are all on Turbine's side.
    I do not have that setting checked. I can release W and not slow down unless I turn or encounter unflat terrain. The upshot is I need to keep W pressed during mounted combat to keep my speed and fury maximized.

This has been happening since day one of the war steed. It has nothing to do with game settings, user Internet speeds, or quality of connection. It's almost like they tacked an instance on top of the game, as the war steed changes everything about your character. Changes control, changes attacks, changes stats, disables some and enables others, it's like you're in an instance that they crammed on top the game and it's not fitting right.

It does it at full speed, at slow speed, at any speed. The steed goes too fast for the game to process it, that's why it speeds up, the game has to catch up to where your steed actually is. I'm constantly stopping my horse so the game will catch up to where I'm at so I don't accidentally go over a cliff or smack dab into Bugud and die a one hit wonder, both of which I've done. It is the game, and only the game that is the problem.

Because of this I don't play as often as I used to, and when I do play I play for less time. It's ruining gameplay for me. It makes the game frustrating and not fun. Personally I don't think they'll ever fix it, I don't think they can. Not without redoing the entire war steed setup, coming out with a whole new implementation of it. And I *really* don't see that happening. Now that WB owns them I expect them to just eat the bad press, so to speak, and let it go. I am not optimistic, put it that way.

Cool There is something to do

From time to time I encounter this problem mostly in town.

there is 2 things you can do :

- dismount and remount a regular horse in town.
    - Play at odd hours like at 3am.

As usual, people are confusing Rubber Banding with the original posts description of slowing/speeding up. They're different things and this thread is about the inconsistent speeds--NOT rubber banding.

This is not a "hitch" and not snapping back. There's no "jump". It's a speed fluctuation. It's like you're driving a car with your foot on the break, speeding up to 60, then breaking to 30, then speeding back up to 60. Over and over and over.

It's mainly noticeable in towns, or running across territory at full throttle. Not so much in battle or doing short sprints. Doesn't matter if auto-slowdown is on and you're holding w down, or if auto-slowdown is off. Throttling the fps, or bringing any setting down from Ultra doesn't affect it. It's not there all the time, and often lessens or goes away to some extent only to come back. It very well may be server congestion related (though I see if often on quiet times of day). Doesn't occur on non-war steed mounts or when running on foot. It isn't limited to riding war-steeds in new zones--happens in lvl 20 zones and level 85 ones. Re-running over the same terrain (e.g., turning around and running back to take advantage of cached textures) makes no difference.

If you have your fps counter up, you'll see it drop during the slow down.

It's pretty annoying and really, really needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by daneyul; Apr 01 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Hmmm... the revamp seems to have improved things. Speed inconsistency seems greatly reduced, though rubber banding/hitching is still about the same.

I hope we will someday recieve an official statement to this major issue. If I should make a list about the top 5 problems/bugs lotro's gameplay is suffering from, this would be one of it. Maybe number 1.
    The idea of mounted combat is really great, and in theory they've built a great system, and I'm sure it would feel amazing while playing it offline but this is riding with a sword of Damocles. (or Laggycles, kinda...) You just cannot fully enjoy it because frustration is always nearby.
    It's really weird they do not adress this issue with at least some soothing technical facts, like the source of the problem or that they at least focus their engineers on it atm.

Because of the lack of infos I can only assume it has something to do with the calculation of movement, which seems to be server side (to prevent cheating... maybe) instead calculating it more with the client. The longer the distance to the server or the higher your latency, the more lag you will experience while riding on a warsteed.
    But thats just all assumptions.

Something official would really help here.

(sry for my bad english)
    Last edited by Schinderhannes; May 27 2013 at 01:01 PM.

I recently returned after a couple months break from the game. One of the reasons for the break was the issues with mounted combat such as this one. I rode around Rohan for an hour last night fighting various mobs and noticed the fluctuations were much improved over the last time I used my war steed. The fluctuations still happened, most often it seemed when I tried to make sudden slow downs/changes of direction. Hitching and lag like problems were better too but not totally gone. I did rubber band a few times when jumping over fences, my war steed ran backwards then forward over the fence. The number that denotes the speed you're going won't often match what the horses speed visually looks like it's going as well.

One problem I still have is setting the speed of my steed to what I want it to be. I use the directional arrows to move forward and the mouse to steer. I like to be able to hit the forward arrow once to walk, once again to trot, again to canter, then again to gallop. That way I can quickly cycle through the different speeds or gaits of the horse to whatever speed I need at the time. Problem is I can go from a walk to a full out gallop with one press of the key, when I just want to speed up a smaller increment. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it seems like the horses controls should work that way but they seem erratic.

Hmmm... the revamp seems to have improved things. Speed inconsistency seems greatly reduced, though rubber banding/hitching is still about the same.
    Spent some time in Wildemore this weekend. Any hope I had that it was fixed are gone--

Still.
    Terrible.
    Fluctuations.

Since the problem itself...er...fluctuates, I have to think it's server based since I play on the same computer with the same fios 20 mb connection.

I agree with the earlier poster--weird that it hasn't been even mentioned as a problem. Weird and annoying and frustrating and even insulting. At least some acknowledgement that there's a problem with speed consistency would be nice, even if there's not a fix in the immediate future.

It is server-based. Make no mistake. The server has to take care of everything that happens and mounted war steed movement is just one of them. Probably the only reason why if you hold down the forward arrow key the server does not complain about too many requests is likely there is some code that throws away the extra requests (move forward) if it does not change the status of the steed and something similar to that for turning left or right (as in circling a mob, i.e. throwing away excess requests). It automatically make you go straight if you let go of a direction arrow and, it appears, you cannot backup in the same fashion as going forward (once you let go of the back arrow you stop).

Right now there seems to be an occasional glitch where if you start to enter a shallow stream (one you should be able to ride through) or even a pool, you will get dismounted. Not all the time. But it does happen.

I have seen fights where Bugud's entourage runs past me towards where I am supposed to be (according to the server) but not where the client shows me, then the screen updates and I slide over to in front of the mobs.

If they fix the speed variation problem, I suspect that much of the erratic movement issues will start to vanish. Ride around, avoiding a deep stream, while fighting a mob then get slid over into the middle of the stream and dismounted.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I really hope that they acknowledge this as a problem and fix it. Rohan sold because people didn't expect this sort of lag (speed fluctuations and rubberbanding both). If Helm's Deep comes about, is heavily MC reliant and they haven't fixed the problem, I don't see there being many people buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    Happens to me frequently. It makes me feel queasy and causes me not to enjoy the war steed as much as I would like to.
    Me too. My character finally got to LVL 75. Excited to finally get a warsteed, I purchased Rohen to get the full experience. My first time out on the field, fighting fireflies or some such, made me queasy. As much as I love this game, as much as I've looked forward to Rohan, as much as I've *spent* getting expansions, there's nothing like feeling queasy to make you stop wanting to play. Yuck.

A couple of things: For one, mounted combat takes some getting used to and it can be frustrating / confusing until you level up your steed.

Secondly, on rubber-banding: I've noticed this a lot on my PC, where the game runs smoothly. On my laptop, it was a big problem, but the game was choppy on it to begin with. The other day, I turned graphics settings down and the rubber-banding is gone on my laptop. Still on my PC, though, and I don't want to turn down settings

One thing i have noticed and im unsure if this is the same problem that was posted...

besides the rubber banding which isnt from my computer as i can handle the lotro game just fine, and the slowing down when you hit slopes unless you hold the "W" key or both mouse buttons to remain at top speed the whole time.

I also see my steed jump in speed, or well not speed but he will be riding along then for a split second stop then catch up to where he is supposed to be, like a server lag but constantly every 3-4 seconds.

Like what someone else said about the speed being too fast for the game to process. Or like if you've ever lagged suddenly in a fight then when the lag stops everything happens really really fast as the game catches up to you.

This is probably the worst thing about the game and totally sinks the Warsteed game system. They cant fix it. It's impossible. It has nothing to do with any graphic settings or internet speed settings. You can put everything down to the lowest possible setting and get the exact same problem that you face at the highest settings.

That god awful hitch that has been present in this game since Closed Beta. There is something wrong with the engine.

If you ride your Warsteed at the same speed as a regular mount, you still have the problem. So there is something wrong with the Warsteed. Maybe it has to send more information to the server than a regular mount, and it is trying to compensate for those little blank spots. Speed up, speed down, speed up, speed down....Makes the Warsteed game system flat out not fun. I hope they ditch this system. They have done it before. Housing was relegated to the back burner for years.

That and the god awful Legendary Weapon system need to go......ASAP. But Turbine has already proven they have people working on the game who do not even play it. Hence the whole heavy armor loot that is lower than level 10. It took them a year or so to figure out that Heavy Armor passive started at level 10.

Somewhere, at a cubicle in Turbine HQ, someone is thinking they are doing a great job with the Warsteed and LI systems....when we all know if they polled the players at least 90% would be in favor of a total revamp of both systems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast