We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unable to start Lotro after update 10...

Before the update I was able to login to Lotro and play no problem. But ever since this update I can no longer play the game. I put in my password and the server starts up and looks like its starting to load the window, but it stops and does nothing. Some troubleshooting I tried was restarting the Pc, then re-installed the game with a restart, that didnt work either. I also checked to make sure drivers are up to date and they were fine, oh and I ran as admin and that didnt work. I checked the requirements (assuming they changed the minimum for the game) and I have enough ram! I have 16gb of ram on a new pc from HP, which is an i7 with Nvidia. I am at a loss of what I can do to fix this, any suggestions??
    Last edited by Rilgost; Mar 09 2013 at 01:30 AM.

I have the same problem

What systems?

I have been spending most of today trying to let people now that Intel systems are having many issues when it comes to LotRO. Everything from blue screens to not being able to get past login password. This from this morning when I first started letting everyone know http://dycer94.mymiddleearth.com/201...9/intel-users/. It would have been sooner if I didn't have a busy week and had more time to research issues and play earlier in the week.

Thank you for link.

A possible fix...???

I have gotten a reply to the problem. The issue has been resolved for me that is... here are the instructions you need to follow in order to fix this problem, assuming its this:

Click on the Windows "Start" button.
    Then click on My Documents or Documents.
    Double-click the The Lord of the Rings Online folder.
    Within there locate and rename the userpreferences.ini file (eg. olduserpreferences.ini).
    Relaunch the game, log in, but pause at the server select list.
    Before logging in click the button in the row in the upper right-corner that has the single down-arrow on it.
    Choose Options from the menu that brings up.
    In there under the Repair tab click to enable the Reset game display settings option and click ok.
    Then select your preferred server and launch the game again to test.
    At this point if prompted to enable DirectX 10 or 11 graphics choose "No".

Cheers!

This was good for only 1 log in

Hi, This only worked once for me and I am not even sure why it did work. The bottom line is why do we have to do anything at all when most of us who have been logging in for years all of asudden have to do this and that just to log in after update 10? I am sure that you will find that your problem has not gone away and if it has I wish I would have been that lucky.

TTYL :-)

That fix has been out there and works for some, others not so much. For most people you need to actually search out and manually install newer drivers. There are some issues with people's userpreference.ini file in which you'd need the pre-U10 one from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmire View Post
    Hi, This only worked once for me and I am not even sure why it did work. The bottom line is why do we have to do anything at all when most of us who have been logging in for years all of asudden have to do this and that just to log in after update 10? I am sure that you will find that your problem has not gone away and if it has I wish I would have been that lucky.
    Every LOTRO update causes a HUGE number of files to be replaced. All it takes is for Windows
    to bungle the update of one of these thousands of files to cause the game to not work. The
    older your disk gets, the higher the likelihood that you'll get a bad file - eventually.

The instructions above are designed to repair the install and regenerate the user preferences file.
    There is no reason to not believe that if this works, then the problem is solved - at least until
    the next update, when you roll the Microslop dice again.

If you're still having trouble, error-check your disk (assuming it's not an SSD), defrag it, and
    then do a clean re-install (install to a different location while the old files are still on the disk,
    then erase the old files).

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgost View Post
    I have gotten a reply to the problem. The issue has been resolved for me that is... here are the instructions you need to follow in order to fix this problem, assuming its this:

Click on the Windows "Start" button.
    Then click on My Documents or Documents.
    Double-click the The Lord of the Rings Online folder.
    Within there locate and rename the userpreferences.ini file (eg. olduserpreferences.ini).
    Relaunch the game, log in, but pause at the server select list.
    Before logging in click the button in the row in the upper right-corner that has the single down-arrow on it.
    Choose Options from the menu that brings up.
    In there under the Repair tab click to enable the Reset game display settings option and click ok.
    Then select your preferred server and launch the game again to test.
    At this point if prompted to enable DirectX 10 or 11 graphics choose "No".

Cheers!
    It WORKED! MANY THANKS!!!