We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lore Mastes are great!, but I need some help.

Hello, my main character is a lore master. First I made an Elf hunter, because well everybody wants to be Legolas, but something dint feel right, I tried other classes but something was missing, then a made a Lore Master….. it was the worst, very weak died a lot. So I stick with a champion until I read that lore master was not meant to be played as the others just jumping in and slashing enemies, that you needed to think before you act. I tried it with this new approach and I loved it. Even got to lvl 20 without dying. But there is so much I don’t know.

What virtues should I slot? Right now I just have the ones that are higher and that make a little sense. I am a free player right now so I only have 2 open.
    What skills don’t get interrupted when you are being hit? Yesterday I got in trouble and couldn’t cast skills because I was being hit.
    How do you normally pull enemies, what is the best spell to do it? What skills do you use the most?

To be honest I don’t understand flanking much, is it very useful? I mainly use a bear, but I noticed the lynx is great for killing quests like for example kill 12 boars. In what situation do you use the raven?
    I read people talk about Yellow, Red, Blue? what is this about?

Whenever I get near a lore trainer I see a white or silver ring above them but they give me no quest or mention anything? I feel I did something wrong or I am missing something, what could this ring mean?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome!

Hey, thanks for playing LoTRO and congrats on rolling an LM. Al of your questions are covered in detail in previous threads, so I'm not going to go into deep detail here. My suggestion is to read the "stickied" posts on the Lore-Master forum page, and find other "New LM looking for help" posts.

Virtues: Pick whatever makes sense, like you've been doing. There is no real right or wrong here.

Interruptions: General rule - If a skill has an induction time, it can be interrupted. You can check the induction time of a skill by hovering your mouse over the skill and reading the tooltip. Melee skills like Staff Strike and Staff Sweep are immediate, and cannot be interrupted.

Pulling: LM's usually rely on "root pulls." Cracked Earth is a popular skill for pulling groups. You have to kite for a bit before the root takes effect, though. Herb-lore is another way to root your enemies. Then you can attack a single target, and the rest will remain rooted and won't be able to attack you.

Skills I use the most: Blinding Flash, Light of the Rising Dawn. All LM's are different. My personal playstyle involves a LOT of stuns and dazes. Trick is to make sure your DoT (damage over time) skills don't break the daze.

Flanking: flanking is like a critical hit from your pet. When the enemy is flanked, certain skills get extra bonuses. Wizard's Fire will heal you, Staff Strike deals double damage, and Staff Sweep will grant power over time. So yes, flanks are incredibly useful.

Pets: Lynx is great for mowing down solo landscape mobs, yes, but not much else. Raven is big - especially at endgame. Most of your decent damage skills are fire damage, so Benediction of the Raven comes in handy by making your enemies vulnerable to fire damage. The Raven can also reduce ranged damage by 50%. Combining this with wind-lore means that ranged mobs do 0% ranged damage.

Yellow/Red/Blue: These refer to Class Traits. Red increases your damage output, specifically Fire-based skills. Yellow is CC (Crowd Control) focused, and Blue is a hybrid Healing/Pet focused line. Most LM's go with Red and Yellow. Depends on your playstyle.

LM Trainers: They will give you class-specific quests at 15, 40, and 50 iirc. That's why they have the greyed-out ring.

Virtues: The highest ones you have that have anything useful is OK right now. Morale, Physical Mitigation, Fate and Will should be your targets longer term.

Easiest thing with skills is look at the mouse-over on the icon (cannot remember them all offhand). If it has an induction in the stats, it can be disrupted, obviously the longer the induction......Its a standard thing for me to say, but basically if you have to get a skill off, use stuns and mezes to stop them hitting you for a few secs.

Flanking gives you a 5? second window in which you can use staff strike to get a bigger hit OR use wizard fire for a heal. Its a major boost to your capabilities -- especially the heal at lower levels when it is the only one you have or at least on a short countdown.

The raven can give a nice fire debuff, has a really good debuff against ranged opponents AND flanks more often than either the Lynx or the bear.

The ring means there is either a quest you have outleveled or one you have coming up, but are too low level to get yet. Did you do your level 15 class quest? If not thats probably it, if not its the next one (30 I think).

Pulling? Sign of Power command is a good starting point as it doesn't aggro. Gust of wind is a good pulling skill, as it has a debuff and has the longest range of your skills. Burning embers can work because it can slow your target. A stealthed Lynx is also a good starter for the big surprise hit.
    Last edited by Carolas; Mar 08 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralcanwolf View Post
    Pets: Raven is big - especially at endgame. Most of your decent damage skills are fire damage, so Benediction of the Raven comes in handy by making your enemies vulnerable to fire damage. The Raven can also reduce ranged damage by 50%. Combining this with wind-lore means that ranged mobs do 0% ranged damage.
    Yeppers. Raven is huuge. The fire miti debuff will assist u solo. In raids HAVE ur hunters use fire oils and they'll love the raven(if u have more chimps, use bear instead). But there is something a lot of people say and it is sooooooooo wrong. Wind lore + ravens ranged attack debuff doesnt give 0%. It is more like 75%. It doesnt go as 50% +50% but as 50% and 50% of the remaining 50%. That is another 25% so it will result in 75% Ranged attack debuff(spar a hunter and test this ^^). If u do this, any ranged mob will decide to come melee on u, but they dont do much dmg. If u do this on a black arrow though, he has but one option...... RUN from the scary LM. Coz remember aside the huge dmg debuff hes gonna have a huge miss chance debuff as well.

edit: Sabrecat flanks are annoying. If u fight multiple targets it can flank any of them. not just the one targeted. so good luck trying to find who it is between 8 mobs^^

Quote Originally Posted by Pithrandir View Post
    But there is something a lot of people say and it is sooooooooo wrong. Wind lore + ravens ranged attack debuff doesnt give 0%. It is more like 75%. It doesnt go as 50% +50% but as 50% and 50% of the remaining 50%. That is another 25% so it will result in 75% Ranged attack debuff(spar a hunter and test this ^^). If u do this, any ranged mob will decide to come melee on u, but they dont do much dmg.
    Huh. I thought they stacked - never looked too closely. Either way, using both skills will make any ranged mob move into melee range, giving you a few extra seconds to blast them without fear of interruptions.

Thanks a lot for the great answers. They were really helpful. I have been reading other posts in the forums, but as I level up I got new questions. I got my Legendary weapon and finally found the pages of the 3 books. But as I am a free player I only have 1 legendary slot. Which trait should I use, which one is essential?. I like Ents go to war, it looks amazing but the long cooldown makes it hard to use. Noble Savage seems nice, and sword and staff, so if you could only have one which one would it be?.

Also what is the top 2 most important legacies on the legendary books?

Thanks for your help.

Hmmmm. Solo content Id go for ''sword and stuff''(havent they change its name now btw? pffft). Or noble savage if u rely on ur pet tanking often. Ents would only come to compare with those 2 if u have 4 red traits slotted(CD 2 min),

On book, it depends on ur level. Actually i like having multiple books at hand. DPS on low levels it should be target resistance on dmg and on fire skills. Increased SI duration is handy as well. Id leave BE pulses out till they become stackable.
    If u are CCing a lot the fire lore targets and bane flare targets increase is yummy, with debuff resistance decrease.
    Pet tanking, increased threat and increased morale, on signs of the wild.
    So i wouldnt say that u could say for the best 2 legacies on book, unlike the staff^^