We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Trying to connect to logon server error temporary fix, until next crash

After crashing for the umpteenth time in Snowbourn, entering and exiting the mead hall, I noticed a trying to connect to the logon server error, tries 20 times then gives up. If you get this goto to system preferences>security and privacy> then click the lock. You need admin password for this. Then click Firewall options scroll down to find the entry for Lord of the rings online, select that then click the minus button underneath. The client should then connect. You will be asked at some point if you want to allow lord of the rings online to accept incoming connections select accept.
    The client must be borking this firewall setting when crashing or at least not working with the firewall correctly after it crashes.

Edit: This did not completely work just now but when I added the Lord of the rings application using the + button it did work.
    Last edited by Lwio; Mar 08 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Generally you will run into these types of issues with the Mac Firewall enabled, whether you select the client or not as an exception. The only real way to avoid them is to turn the Firewall off as has been noted previously in threads. There is no known fix to get around it that I am aware of.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Keep in mind -- in 90+% of installations, the Mac Firewall is redundant!!!

If you are running behind an ISP's router, that router is your firewall.
    Especially if it is from one of the "major" Broadband providers, such as Verizon or Comcast (In the eastern US).

Using the Mac Firewall in addition to the Router's firewall is not only redundant, and does NOT enhance your security, but rather tends to create more problems than it solves.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thanks so much for this! Just ran into this problem and couldn't find a fix anywhere.
    Eglaniel's Roleplay Resource List
    your one-stop shop for all your roleplaying needs
    [Laurelin] Elven RP Community Feedback Thread
    is there nothing you would change?

I did all that and its still not letting me connect. It's not asking me whether or not I want to allow lord of the rings online to accept incoming connections. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    I did all that and its still not letting me connect. It's not asking me whether or not I want to allow lord of the rings online to accept incoming connections. Any ideas?
    Try turning the Mac Firewall off, reboot router and Mac and try again.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    This message is from a Firewall of some sort.

Is Apple's turned on? Verify the setting at ... Privacy & Security ... Firewall tab. Should say "Firewall: Off" --- then as Toddlepip points out -- you need to reboot the Mac for the "turn off" to take effect.

It is also possible that you have an Anti-Virus package which is doing the same thing -- filtering your internet connections.

That seems to be a popular "extension" that various anti-virus packages are currently implementing to "differentiate" themselves from each other. (avast! free for Mac is the latest one I've encountered.)

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

It worked! thanks!

Ever since November I've never run into this problem up until now. The solution works (thanks, by the way ) but I kept running into it again and again - at the same spot.
    For me, it seems to be triggered by the 'Forges of Khazad' Moria Instance. The game simply freezes out without a warning (usually at the very beginning) and the application collapses. It lets me log in, freezes out, lets me log in, freezes out a few times, but initially, the "Allow network connections" question will pop up. After solving with this temporary fix, it works a few times but then the instance will just trigger it again...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e00000027d3b2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Alanla View Post
    Ever since November I've never run into this problem up until now. The solution works (thanks, by the way ) but I kept running into it again and again - at the same spot.
    For me, it seems to be triggered by the 'Forges of Khazad' Moria Instance. The game simply freezes out without a warning (usually at the very beginning) and the application collapses. It lets me log in, freezes out, lets me log in, freezes out a few times, but initially, the "Allow network connections" question will pop up. After solving with this temporary fix, it works a few times but then the instance will just trigger it again...
    The "Allow Network Connections" question is from your anti-virus or firewall.

You may find that your anti-virus software is "re-enableing" its restrictions after it updates or reboots.

The "fix" is not "temporary", but is required to allow the game to run normally. You must re-do the fix every time you play.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

I am aware that it's not a temporary fix. I was just mentioning that for me, it is triggered on a set spot in the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e00000027d3b2/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]