We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do Minstrels actually use lute strings?

Improved Lute Strings of Greater Subtlety <-- I think that's still the best one available.

Lute strings are extremely easy to make and can be used at a very low level but still in my experience they don't seem to be used too widely. I hardly see them on AH on my server, and I once made a bunch of them just to see how well they sell but no one bought them.

My Minstrel just recently started using those -12% Healing Threat lute strings but it's hard to say yet how much they actually affect my group play. What's your take on this, do you think they're overlooked or am I just failing to see that they're used quite commonly?
    [center][url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/8521714229lotro_lotro04.png[/img][/url][/center]

For me I have several stacks at all times.

Any time that I'm in a 3man or in any kind of group I always make sure to have those active.
    Anything that I can do to help reduce threat and let the tank hold things is a good thing in my book.

I recently came across some I crafted a long time ago when I was working on my cook and I promptly put them away, but given how often I pull aggro with tanks that are not from kin, I think I might give them a try. At least when I'm healing a Pugged group.
    [center][IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/dc62au.jpg[/IMG]
    [color=#FF00FF]Creeps: Highly Unimpressed, Babyasparagus, Schleichend | Blood Hand[/color]
    [color=#FF00FF]Freeps: Euphonious-1, Enthralling/-1/-2/-3, Mellifluous-1, Tantalizing-1, Xiexieni | Revolution[/color]
    [/center]

My cook recently found a recipe and now my mini has a couple stacks of them. I pop 'em before boss fights and have been thinking about using them in skirmishes when I try to turtle through.
    [B]Dwarrowdelf[/B]: Gufli-Champ(58), Gadhalion-Hunter(27), Galbarad-Warrden(23), Gildro-Burg(20)
    [B]Windfola[/B]: Fredemond-Mini(25), Fimorin-Cappy(34), Fallaf-Guard(25), Fumli-RK(25), Falandion-LM(21)

I've never used them. I don't even seem to draw agro without them, so why would I need them?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKyro View Post
    For me I have several stacks at all times.

Any time that I'm in a 3man or in any kind of group I always make sure to have those active.
    Anything that I can do to help reduce threat and let the tank hold things is a good thing in my book.
    Exactly what I was thinking too And what I really like about those is that they can be used in combat too, so if a boss fight lasts for more than 5 or 10 minutes you can just activate another one.

On the other hand I understand people might not want to use them since Minstrels also have Anthem of Compassion that reduces your threat by 40% and can be used quite often. Although yesterday I was in a group where our tank was only just learning to tank so all possible threat reductions were handy.
    [center][url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/8521714229lotro_lotro04.png[/img][/url][/center]

They are only situationally useful. On single target fights there a bit of a waste, if the tank looses aggro its going to be to DPS not the healer, and unless its a very poor tank then your unlikely to pull aggro off groups of mobs too.

The most dangerous part is when adds spawn partway through the fight. The only time I use strings is when I'm going to start using big heals just as the tanks are trying to get everything under control.

But I rarely PUG so perhaps I have a skewed view of how easy it is to pull aggro off a tank through healing.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

I do 3-persons with a captain and a hunter a lot, and I use them all the time for that. Captain needs all the help she can get to keep aggro! I'll use them in raids occasionally, but that's rare. They're quick and easy to make if you have a cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiena View Post
    I do 3-persons with a captain and a hunter a lot, and I use them all the time for that. Captain needs all the help she can get to keep aggro! I'll use them in raids occasionally, but that's rare. They're quick and easy to make if you have a cook.
    Same here. Whenever I group up with another class then guardian/warden tanking I use them.
    With a proper tank they won't be needed usually.
    [B][URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal"][COLOR=#ed2669]A vote for the kinship revamp proposal is a vote for progress! Vote today![/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Depends on a few things. I used to require them. They were mandatory a few years ago for me. When Champs and Captains were the tanks (before they could tank as a class) I had major threat issues.

Not only did I use the strings, but -threat was the most important LI legacy as well.

Now, the game has changed to the point that I haven't used either the strings or the legacy in a very long time. Even with champs tanking via DPS... I'm just not having threat issues. And, while I'm not having threat issues, I don't see the point in occupying inventory and skill slots with items not needed. If you don't have threat... these items have no purpose.

When they get around to nerfing threat management, these will be important again.