We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Boulster Courage no longer needed?

With the new fate changes, yesterday I was spamming Imp. Raise the Spirit with no power problems. Since the main problem of RtS is power efficiency, and that dissapears with 450-500 fate, do you think our new main heal skill will be RtS, and BC will have no use?

The skills you work into your own rotation are exactly that. while it is cool that you got the power regen to accomplish this, your case isn't standard just yet. and as to my thoughts, i see a couple problems one immediate 2 hypothetical. in the now bolster courage is the perfect main skill to use, and it provides an advantage. While it is a larger heal it pops much slower effecivly spacing out the time between each bump to your healing threat. spamming RS can create more aggro problems for you than using BC because you have to use the skill more often. And as for the hypothetical. there are a couple problems that could shut this down, if any new raid includes a wicked power drain or fate debuff. or 2 if they don't like the changes they made to power and decide to revert it in a latter update. but grats on the high fate.

Also requires you to have a slot to trait it in. Its still the 4th blue trait in my opinion which means I don't normally slot it.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

I've been using both Raise the Spirit and Bolster Courage interchangeably depending on the heal needed. Don't forget that when Coda of Vigour is applied after using Anthem of the Third Age, Bolster Courage becomes instant cast. Currently I have about 500 fate, so I don't need to worry much about power loss and using Anthem of Composure anymore. Anthem of the Third Age has always been my main choice anyway due to the 10% outgoing healing boost and the -25% for skill inductions, so even if I don't need to use Coda of Vigour on my target, I still use Bolster Courage a lot more than Raise the Spirit for the bigger heal and the reduced induction time.

Quote Originally Posted by Erhnam View Post
    With the new fate changes, yesterday I was spamming Imp. Raise the Spirit with no power problems. Since the main problem of RtS is power efficiency, and that dissapears with 450-500 fate, do you think our new main heal skill will be RtS, and BC will have no use?
    This is how I have been healing for a long time. The trait and legacy are a first priority. I rarely use BC and have not traited or used the legacy in a long time.

Raise the spirit doesn't crit for 6k+ =)

Nothing puts a smile on my face like a heal crit, and thus BC remains my primary heal.

I can hardly believe that you can fill a tank that just got a 10 to 15k hit with rts.. boulster courage's magnitude totally compensates it's cast time. Even more in combination with coda and free instant bc. Rts might be useful for quick heals though.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenyl View Post
    I can hardly believe that you can fill a tank that just got a 10 to 15k hit with rts.. boulster courage's magnitude totally compensates it's cast time. Even more in combination with coda and free instant bc. Rts might be useful for quick heals though.
    You can cast 2.5 RTS in the time of one BC. thats how you do it. Unless I'm missing something? My experience with minstrel is limited
    Last edited by Erhnam; Mar 07 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Depends on opinion then I guess, we'll never agree on that. I hardly use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erhnam View Post
    You can cast 2.5 RTS in the time of one BC. thats how you do it
    Not to mention 3 HoTs on the tank (2 on the fellow) + a groupwide BC equivalent with the coda every 5-ish seconds and I rarely ever use BC.

Definitely, there is more than one way to heal. For me personally, I gave up BC a while ago as I grew tired of watching people die during inductions. If the tank takes a 15k hit, I'm not gambling on the next 3 seconds (he will get TS, CoS and RtS before I bother thinking about an induction skill).

Quote Originally Posted by Incandesce View Post
    Raise the spirit doesn't crit for 6k+ =)

Nothing puts a smile on my face like a heal crit, and thus BC remains my primary heal.
    Actually it can.

Also, it heals more per second.
    Last edited by Batf1nk; Mar 07 2013 at 02:00 PM.

I tested this and BC is still better. I think rts will be used more often but not as a main heal. I focus more on buffing and I never have a problem with people dying. In the moors this should be more widely used. While kiting AotTA > coda > bc > Cos > Sos. Throw some Rts in there and your good. (You can practicaly kite while using rts)

how can you heal without BC? only in istances without moobs

Quote Originally Posted by Batf1nk View Post
    Also, it heals more per second.
    Raise the Spirit doesn't heal more per second. Admittedly, I did my tests at level 75 cap, but I can totally go back and do them again. With 1 minute of spamming non-legacied versions of each (traited for RtS and with the -induction trait), Bolster Courage still healed more per second than RtS. I did 30 tests of 1 minute each, have for RtS and half for BC. In the VERY short term RtS has the potential to out-heal BC, but I'm talking 10-15 seconds. After that, in strait up comparisons, BC wins for heals per second.
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

RtS may heal more per second when you look at only induction time, but it has that combat animation afterwards that takes up just as much time as the induction. RtS is nice if you've got a squishy sitting under 3k morale, but if your'e trying to heal a tank from 10k to 20k+, BC is the way to go. My BC can crit for 6k to 8k+ and it does quite often, unless someone is about to die, Im using that.

Everyone's rotations are different and everyone plays differently. I utilize every heal I have to keep the group up. I don't favor one heal 100% of the time over another, it's all situational imo.

I actually use RtS, CoS and IF more now than Bolster Courage. When you dont have to worry about ICPR you can groupheal a lot more effectively. Bolster Courage will always be one of our main heals, but maybe less used now. It still has its purpose for those precious moment's in-between chaos, where you only have to heal 1 piece of tank without interruptions from DoTs, puddles, adds and massive AoE.

Best single target heal is still Coda + instant Bolster Courage. Its the only big heal we have w/o massive cooldown. So i highly doubt that is not needed. Than you wont be able to keep the tanks up if he is taking massive damage.

But for most situation, you usually have to keep 5-11 other people alive. Bolster Courage is pretty useless for that since people tend to be dead before the induction is over.

A lot of new pieces, raid armour and gold, boosts Bolster Courage to. Greater armour of the Ererbor Minstrel (heal version), gives HoT on fellow when using Bolster Courage, making the skill very interesting again. Also minstrel gold shield and cloak, gives 3% and 2% Bolster Courage increase.

There are just too many fights lately where I have to be mobile, and for that traited RtS is better than BC; I rarely even attempt BC in many of those cases as I'll have to break the induction and the heal of RtS is better than an interrupted BC.

If I have the luxury of standing still, it's still a habit to use BC unless the target is very low.

It's interesting to see everybody's different styles of healing.

I still use Bolster, especially for the tanks. I have it traited so it's not interrupted on damage and I can crit up to 12k, average heal about 3500. RtS is something I use more when squishies take hits or as a fill-up. With lack of power issues I use Bolster, Chord, IF, SoS without worrying and find I have no issues on healing.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Incandesce View Post
    Raise the spirit doesn't crit for 6k+ =) Nothing puts a smile on my face like a heal crit, and thus BC remains my primary heal.
    Yeah, man. Nothing like getting a 6k crit when you need a 2k heal. It's like DPSing a corpse.
    Last edited by bastiat1; Mar 21 2013 at 02:23 PM.