We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134

    Any news for Managed Accounts in Mountain Lion?..

    Any fixes or workarounds found apple-wise or Turbine-wise...?

    :/ Getting frustrating.

    Edit; THis is regarding managed accounts not being allowed to view the .dat files on startup...even if set to be allowed to read and view and change and all that mess.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    Any fixes or workarounds found apple-wise or Turbine-wise...?

    :/ Getting frustrating.

    Edit; THis is regarding managed accounts not being allowed to view the .dat files on startup...even if set to be allowed to read and view and change and all that mess.
    I do not have any idea what "Managed Account" means (i.e. what Apple is actually doing "under the hood").

    I have no problems running LOTRO from multiple accounts on the same machine -- however, I do not have Parental Controls enabled and have no experience with it. (Note there is only one copy of LOTRO installed in /Applications and it is visible to all accounts.)

    One interesting thing however, which I discovered yesterday and which might apply.

    I recently was experimenting with "avast! free for Mac" -- an anti-virus program WHICH ALSO scans websites!

    With "Website scanning" turned on, the Mac Client can never patch. It gets the "An update error occurred" loop.
    Turning it off, allows the patch scanning process to begin and then complete.

    I note that "Parental Controls" has an option "Web" -- under that tab is the radio button -- "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically."

    Assuming that this works the same way in which "avast!" works -- you can (probably) do one of two things --
    1- select "Allow unrestricted access to websites"
    2- select "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically."
    2a- then select "Customize" (this button is tempremental, you may have to "toggle" the Allow/Try options or close and re-launch the Parental controls Panel to get it to work.)
    2-b Under customize: "Always allow these websites" click on the + and enter "patch.lotro.com" (and for Bullroarer moria.patch.lotro.com).

    Please let us know if this works!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,751
    BTW, to turn OFF "Parental Controls" once they have been enabled.

    1- in the Parental Controls System Preferences panel, select the userid.
    2- at the bottom of the window, click on the gear and select "Turn Off Parental Controls."
    3- Reboot!!!!!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    BTW, to turn OFF "Parental Controls" once they have been enabled.

    1- in the Parental Controls System Preferences panel, select the userid.
    2- at the bottom of the window, click on the gear and select "Turn Off Parental Controls."
    3- Reboot!!!!!
    Would if I could

    Will try your settings adjustment when I get the chance.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I do not have any idea what "Managed Account" means (i.e. what Apple is actually doing "under the hood").

    I have no problems running LOTRO from multiple accounts on the same machine -- however, I do not have Parental Controls enabled and have no experience with it. (Note there is only one copy of LOTRO installed in /Applications and it is visible to all accounts.)

    One interesting thing however, which I discovered yesterday and which might apply.

    I recently was experimenting with "avast! free for Mac" -- an anti-virus program WHICH ALSO scans websites!

    With "Website scanning" turned on, the Mac Client can never patch. It gets the "An update error occurred" loop.
    Turning it off, allows the patch scanning process to begin and then complete.

    I note that "Parental Controls" has an option "Web" -- under that tab is the radio button -- "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically."

    Assuming that this works the same way in which "avast!" works -- you can (probably) do one of two things --
    1- select "Allow unrestricted access to websites"
    2- select "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically."
    2a- then select "Customize" (this button is tempremental, you may have to "toggle" the Allow/Try options or close and re-launch the Parental controls Panel to get it to work.)
    2-b Under customize: "Always allow these websites" click on the + and enter "patch.lotro.com" (and for Bullroarer moria.patch.lotro.com).

    Please let us know if this works!
    Tried both options, neither worked.. IT IS STILL getting hung up at reading .dat files
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    Tried both options, neither worked.. IT IS STILL getting hung up at reading .dat files
    Question 1: Can you (or were you ever able to) play the game using the Admin account?

    Question 2: did you attempt to install LOTRO more than once on different accounts?
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Question 1: Can you (or were you ever able to) play the game using the Admin account?

    Question 2: did you attempt to install LOTRO more than once on different accounts?
    Awnser 1, the account I'm using WAS an admin when I first
    Set it all up, and I downloaded it while it was an admin.. Parental controls got put on, and it ALWAYS gets stuck on reading .dat files


    Awnser 2, no. It has only been installed on the user having the issues. It was downloaded when it was an admin though
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    Awnser 1, the account I'm using WAS an admin when I first
    Set it all up, and I downloaded it while it was an admin.. Parental controls got put on, and it ALWAYS gets stuck on reading .dat files


    Awnser 2, no. It has only been installed on the user having the issues. It was downloaded when it was an admin though
    The simple answer is that you will not be able to play LOTRO with the Mac client unless you have Admin account or at least access to one on the computer you use. This is because Admin rights are required to check file/ folder permissions and change them which are required for any changes to the client.

    There is no way around this. You will need to gain access again to the Admin account each time it is updated or the client decides it needs to change anything.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    The simple answer is that you will not be able to play LOTRO with the Mac client unless you have Admin account or at least access to one on the computer you use. This is because Admin rights are required to check file/ folder permissions and change them which are required for any changes to the client.

    There is no way around this. You will need to gain access again to the Admin account each time it is updated or the client decides it needs to change anything.


    Blah, okay. Is this a bug..? Or is it intentional?

    Wonder if Windows parental controls prevent this too?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9d/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig] ~Mac Player~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    Blah, okay. Is this a bug..? Or is it intentional?

    Wonder if Windows parental controls prevent this too?
    I assume the Mac developer porting the game from PC was aware of the limitations of permissions on the Mac, therefore it is not a bug but a limitation in the Mac client itself.

    This does not relate just to Parental Control BTW but the fact you need Admin privileges for any change to files/ folders (which is sensible as a security measure). Having an Admin account would allow you to switch off Parental Control and to do the updates etc. via the Admin account. A normal account would also have this issue without admin rights.

    it is not the only game that does require this but not clearly stating this for potential or new Mac users so they are at least aware of this, just leads to the frustrations which we see reflected here on this forum quite often.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload