We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Launcher Crashing During Update

This may have been a user-created error, but... I had connectivity problems as the client was downloading update 10, causing it to freeze up. Once I got the internet connection restored, I relaunched the client only to find that it immediately quit with the "Lord of The Rings Online has quit unexpectedly" error message. Any tips on how to fix this? Perhaps I need to remove any files from the update? If so, I'm unsure how to do so.

TIA

I'm having the same issue happening to me...after I submit my password the client simply shut down, but I get no error message...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000e9e16/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Bugahealer View Post
    I'm having the same issue happening to me...after I submit my password the client simply shut down, but I get no error message...
    This is probably the language issue.

With the Mac Client, you need to accept the TOS and EULA again, after every update! This means that you need to select English BEFORE you enter your userid and password. Then when you enter your Userid and Password, the EULA and TOS windows will pop-up (in English) -- accept them, logout and re-launch the client, selecting French or German as desired.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    This may have been a user-created error, but... I had connectivity problems as the client was downloading update 10, causing it to freeze up. Once I got the internet connection restored, I relaunched the client only to find that it immediately quit with the "Lord of The Rings Online has quit unexpectedly" error message. Any tips on how to fix this? Perhaps I need to remove any files from the update? If so, I'm unsure how to do so.
    The "quit unexpectedly" implies a system error, not a game error, namely that the client program has itself gotten corrupted.

If you were having problems during the first phase of patching, that is quite probable... during that first phase, the client itself is being patched.

Most likely solution will be to use Steam to download the MacClient again.

Check the two log files...
    1- ~/Library/Logs/com.turbine.lotroclient/PatchClient.log
    This file (should) contain the record of your patch history. (It will be fairly long, but can easily be read by double clicking on it and launching the "Console.app") It may or may not contain an error message.

2- ~/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log
    This will will normally contain the dialog which takes place with the Turbine GLS Data Centers as patching begins. It is normally a short file and will normally contain a number of "Hash does not contain key" messages. It may or may not contain any other messages.

However, you may need to watch your Console Log itself to see if an error message is posted by OSX.
    Launch "/Applications/Utilities/Console.app"
    select "All messages"
    In the upper right corner in "filter" type the words "com.turbine." This may or may not produce a message.

If you type "lotro" you may see a number of "CODE SIGNING" messages logged -- they can be ignored.
    If you do find a "ReportCrash" message and you "open report" you will likely find a purely Apple description of what happened -- something like "Exception Codes: xxxxx
    That is one of those "true statements." It describes what happened, but not why.
    Scanning down the printout, it may reference the file which caused the problem.

One possibile file you can delete -- assuming you installed LOTRO in /Applications...
    /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app/Contents/patchcache.bin
    Right click on the .app file and select "Show Package Contents" to get to the "next level" i.e. the Contents folder.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

The same thing happened to me. I quit the launcher while it was patching, and then when I tried to open the launcher later it immediately crashed. Then I noticed that I was missing the QtWebKit.framework folder. (contents>frameworks). Is there any way that I can recover this file without waiting 10 hours for the game to redownload?

Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    The same thing happened to me. I quit the launcher while it was patching, and then when I tried to open the launcher later it immediately crashed. Then I noticed that I was missing the QtWebKit.framework folder. (contents>frameworks). Is there any way that I can recover this file without waiting 10 hours for the game to redownload?
    If you run time-machine, you can restore the entire .app file from a time-machine backup. It does not appear to be possible to restore individual files from within the .app bundle.

Otherwise, use the Steam download... it's much faster.

It's only a 27 mb file, so it will easily fit on a thumb drive if you have a friend who has the file.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Just to follow up... after trying to determine/repair what was corrupted about the client to no avail, I just reinstalled the entire app. Thankfully my brother plays, so I got it from him instead of re-downloading. Thanks for the help, Valamar (+rep), and I hope you can find a fix, Zollec. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    If you run time-machine, you can restore the entire .app file from a time-machine backup. It does not appear to be possible to restore individual files from within the .app bundle.

Otherwise, use the Steam download... it's much faster.

It's only a 27 mb file, so it will easily fit on a thumb drive if you have a friend who has the file.
    I dont use time machine, so I can't do that. I went to steam and started download lotro. It said the download would take 11 days. That is not nearly as fast as the PMB download from turbine. I also tried copying the missing file from my other mac onto a USB then putting it into my lotro on this mac. Still didn't work. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    Just to follow up... after trying to determine/repair what was corrupted about the client to no avail, I just reinstalled the entire app. Thankfully my brother plays, so I got it from him instead of re-downloading. Thanks for the help, Valamar (+rep), and I hope you can find a fix, Zollec. :\
    Oh and meriweather, how did you get the game from your brother? How did you reinstall it?