We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good News, Everybody!

From the patch notes:

Captain:

Slightly increased the power restore of Improved Defensive Strike
    Reduced the Fate contribution from In Defence of Middle-Earth
    Reduced the ICPR buff from Herald/Banner of Hope
    Slightly Reduced the ICPR buff from Tactic-Focus and Song-Brother
    IDOME is still nerfed, but our skill cost increases apparently have not gone through. Also, Defensive Strike's power restore got increased rather than decreased like on Bullroarer. Should be a net gain for us, even if a small one.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

I noticed this from the Known Issues aswell:

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    The Captain skill “Time of Need” now has a power cost in addition to its morale cost - This power cost has been removed for 10.1
    So it seems the power cost on ToN was a bug!

I'm glad they are still removing the ICPR buff from the banner of hope instead of the banner of victory. That one isn't gonna bother me a bit.
    Last edited by Armitas; Mar 06 2013 at 11:54 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Additional good news!

Just got through a run of Battle for Erebor, and it's a really fun raid for Captains. For those who don't know, it features two troll bosses and a set of banner challenges to make the fight harder. One of the banner challenges causes the trolls to deal massive damage if their morale differs by more than a slight amount -- older players might remember this mechanic from Ost Dunhoth's huorn fight. This is great for Captains, because we have so many knobs to tweak when it comes to controlling our group's DPS: banners, -Brother skills, and marks all contribute to the group's damage, so it really rewards paying attention and knowing our class more than just mindlessly burning stuff down as quickly as possible.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Thanks Furtim! Just what I was looking for. I just joined the game and got my main cappy to 48.. I didn't mind the lack of damage like a lot of other people. It's not my job to say what a class or shouldn't do, just to enjoy the class that I enjoy the most haha. I thought the only problem was how power hungry we are when we are in a position where we have to go through our rotations very quickly.. And when I heard about increasing power costs .. I was gonna go punch a baby or something man.

So happy. For the moment hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    IDOME is still nerfed, but our skill cost increases apparently have not gone through. Also, Defensive Strike's power restore got increased rather than decreased like on Bullroarer. Should be a net gain for us, even if a small one.
    There were multiple changes to the power costs during the different Beta Builds...
    I could be wrong here, but I think that on Live I see exactly the same power costs as in the last round of changes on Bullroarer (B5): 170 power for threatening shout, battle-shout, grave wound, sure strike, defensive strike. Do you have any screenshots from Bullroarer to check that?
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

I don't have screenshots. You may in fact be correct, and the patch notes just chose not to itemise the power changes to skills.

But the amount of power restoration from Defensive Strike being reverted/increased is still definitely a good thing. I noticed it returns something like twice as much power as the skill costs, which seems about right.

Just did a quick run of Flight to Lonely Mountain. Everybodies power bars stayed near max during the fighting despite nerfed IDOME (and nerfed Mini tale that was up).

I also seem to be hitting a bit harder on Shadow's Lament crits...

Soo.... anyone tried running without Now for Wrath?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Soo.... anyone tried running without Now for Wrath?
    Yeah, it was terrible. Basically full with NfW, not so much without. RC costs sooo much.

But then I do not throttle and never hold back. RC means more VS for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    I also seem to be hitting a bit harder on Shadow's Lament crits...
    IIRC, it has an inherently higher crit multiplier than our other skills to begin with, and the contribution from our Crit Rating should be added directly to that. I think my Crit Rating was giving ~20% Crit Magnitude or something, and there's also the 15% Crit Magnitude from 2 LtC, so a crit on SL will do at minimum 1.85 times the already-high base damage of the skill.

I ran a crafting instance earlier today and noticed quite a few normal crits breaking the 4.5k range that previously I could only surpass with devastates. Pretty cool.

I wonder if we can get Dandor to do another DPS parse....

It would be interesting to see how the crit changes affected us.

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    IIRC, it has an inherently higher crit multiplier than our other skills to begin with, and the contribution from our Crit Rating should be added directly to that. I think my Crit Rating was giving ~20% Crit Magnitude or something, and there's also the 15% Crit Magnitude from 2 LtC, so a crit on SL will do at minimum 1.85 times the already-high base damage of the skill.

I ran a crafting instance earlier today and noticed quite a few normal crits breaking the 4.5k range that previously I could only surpass with devastates. Pretty cool.
    Someone also said 2nd age LI DPS went up, but I didn't have a before/after comparison.

I also forgot that I had switched to 4 Command 2 Perseverence, which gave me 10%. Didn't used to use 5 command soloing.

Cappy u10 bad things
    _I've lost my loved 2,5min in combat ress, and some nice bonus (mits,crit),
    _From 28,9 to 27,5 critical rating :\
    _I haven't seen any wonderful cappy item, all the bonuses are "meh"

Cappy u10 g
    ood things
    _Now i can mix more bonuses (2 pers 4 command ftw)
    _Almost infinite power, i stopped after 5 minute of dummy fighting with 3/5 power. in U9 the power lasted not more than 1,5 min. Great power pool, huge icpr
    _About +8-9% more DPS : bigger crits (need to test on heals too), and boost weap DPS (but still needs more tests)
    _Some gain on p\e and mitigations
    _Not tested yet, but cappy soloing in the moors looks more possible with bfp
    Last edited by AlmericITA; Mar 07 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    [CENTER][B]Commander Almeric[/B][I]
    Captain - Furia Italiana[/I]
    [B]Chieftain Almenakh
    [/B][I] Warg - Black Guard[/I]
    [/CENTER]

Someone also said 2nd age LI DPS went up, but I didn't have a before/after comparison.

I also forgot that I had switched to 4 Command 2 Perseverence, which gave me 10%. Didn't used to use 5 command soloing.
    Been running around with a 4 Hytbold Healer 2 Perserverance tactical mastery/crit build.... starting to like it a lot... extremely strong healing potential, combined with extremely strong mounted combat light steed DPS.

Been running around with a 4 Hytbold Healer 2 Perserverance tactical mastery/crit build.... starting to like it a lot... extremely strong healing potential, combined with extremely strong mounted combat light steed DPS.
    I like the hyboldt. But in larger group content, the +10% damage from Command seems really hard to turn down, particularly once it is adding 10% to a raids worth of DPS. If I'm healing a 3 man and we're having trouble, I'd be more inclined to use hyboldt. But at least healing Iorbars peak, I do fine with LtC/Command/Perseverence...

I like the hyboldt. But in larger group content, the +10% damage from Command seems really hard to turn down, particularly once it is adding 10% to a raids worth of DPS. If I'm healing a 3 man and we're having trouble, I'd be more inclined to use hyboldt. But at least healing Iorbars peak, I do fine with LtC/Command/Perseverence...
    It has it's place - it's a great compliment to a command/perseverance captain, since I don't think the command bonuses stack....

extremely strong mounted combat light steed DPS.
    If only that mattered at all.... it doesn't. Unless there is hidden mounted combat content that I am not aware of?
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffff00]Isabaeux[/COLOR][/B] - 2nd rate Captain | [B][COLOR=#ffff00]Falurze[/COLOR][/B] - 3rd rate Guard
    Off Peak | Elendilmir[/CENTER]

I'm not liking these changes to how power works in update 10. Fate is now just insanely over-powered in my opinion. Me and a loremaster friend of mine just got done doing a couple of tier2 instances and our power never once even moved. I literally never dipped below 5k the whole time, and that was without using Victory Banner or power share. I could have had a max power pool of less than 1k and been just fine.

Someone earlier asked is it possible run without Now for Wrath now? In a word: yes. Very possible. I ditched it and still my power never moves. I also plan on getting rid of my melee power skill cost legacy. I'm going to just put my blue banner in my vault to free up space in my inventory along with my power pots. Going to take Song Brother off my hot bar as well, because all of these things are worthless now in my opinion. All anyone has to do is get their fate up a decent amount and you have basically endless power.

It does allow us more flexibility. But it has also in a single blow made every other power-tool on this game obsolete. This was a very bad development decision in my view. I thought I would like the new changes to Fate, but I don't - at all.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Mar 08 2013 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wasteland View Post
    If only that mattered at all.... it doesn't. Unless there is hidden mounted combat content that I am not aware of?
    I'm utilizing the mounted combat content often enough that the extra bump from tactical mastery (useful in a min/maxed healing build) helps make stuff die faster.

So for me, at least, it's useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Going to take Song Brother off my hot bar as well, because all of these things are worthless now in my opinion.
    That's foolish...

Song Brother is still a good healing tool, and it keeps pace with Shield Bro for healing WITHOUT needing a legacy to stay competitive.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Mar 08 2013 at 01:34 AM.

That's foolish...

Song Brother is still a good healing tool, and it keeps pace with Shield Bro for healing WITHOUT needing a legacy to stay competitive.
    I have compared them and I prefer Shield Brother for healing - and I already have the legacy leveled up so that's not an issue for me. So much of Song Brother is geared toward power restoration and conservation. Now since it's so easy to obtain endless power - I really doubt I'll ever have a need for this tool again. Nor power potions, victory banner, tactics: Focus... and the list goes on.

So we just disagree about it being foolish. Though don't worry, if the unforeseen need should ever arise, I still have it in my skill list and can dust it off.

I'm utilizing the mounted combat content often enough that the extra bump from tactical mastery (useful in a min/maxed healing build) helps make stuff die faster.
    Clearing out warbands is a good way to farm up the Silver Tokens of the Riddermark for your jewelry or LI stuff. Also, U11 will feature new mounted combat content as well.

How the hell is this good? They nerfed a great skill, greatly increased skill power cost (making the power-back almost no different) and messed up the power in the game by making you rely on something over time instead of initial (very unstable design there).

Yeah I still prefer Shield-bro for group healing too, though I think they're about the same. Shield is king of tank-healing though, at the same time. So why bother with Song? Song-brother's power restore has been devalued, and that's what set it apart.

I guess I oughta point out that I have 300-something fate after I made my previous statement. Err, round there, I may come in and edit that.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Mar 08 2013 at 12:05 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Eh, I'm still working on gear atm, but from what I've seen, I do not think I can sustain power while using Shield Brother....

Eg didn't do us any favors with the last update >=(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast