We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How to Roleplay Elven Children

Greetings!

I am Winterwolf, an officer of the Guard of the Citadel a roleplaying kinship on the Imladris server. I am a rather experienced roleplayer and Tolkien fanatic, knowing my fair share of the lore and world of Middle Earth.
    In my kinship roleplays I have reached a point where the child of two of my characters (a man and an elf) is revealed. The child's name is Aduial (Dusk or Evening) and she is approximately forty/sixty years old and as such is not matured. She lives in Imladris, raised by the elves as one of their own.

I have found this from 'Morgoth's Ring, Laws and Customs of the Eldar.'
    "The Eldar grew in bodily form slower than Men, but in mind more swiftly. They learned to speak before they were one year old; and in the same time they learned to walk and to dance, for their wills came soon to the mastery of their bodies. Nonetheless there was less difference between the two Kindreds, Elves and Men, in early youth; and a man who watched elf-children at play might well have believed that they were the children of Men, of some fair and happy people. For in their early days elf-children delighted still in the world about them, and the fire of their spirit had not consumed them, and the burden of memory was still light upon them."

Should Aduial be bright and happy as this suggests?
    How should I roleplay her?

Note: My elf character is the daughter of a Sindar and and one who's race is not quite certain, though he is though to be an Avari (One who refused the journey to Valinor)
    Last edited by Storm-Winterwolf; Mar 05 2013 at 04:59 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Just my opinion but I believe your child would be a Man rather than an Elf. So you may want to lower her age and play her as a teenager, coming out of childhood, happy/sad, emotional and somewhat selfish.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

Ah ok, thanks for your feedback, I didn't actually consider that. I'll play around with the idea and see how it works out
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Laurefinde View Post
    Just my opinion but I believe your child would be a Man rather than an Elf. So you may want to lower her age and play her as a teenager, coming out of childhood, happy/sad, emotional and somewhat selfish.
    I have to agree. With exception to Beren's and Luthien's son, Dior (who was a strange case anyhow being the son of those two, as they came back to life mortal, but Luthien was still as magical as ever...) and the children and grand-children of Earendil because of his deeds, the Elf-Man relationships had children that defaulted to Men, or so it seems to me.

Tuor and Idril is a prime example. Earendil was considered a Man. His wife, Elwing, was considered an Elf (her mom was an Elf and Dior was her dad, but like I said, Dior's case was really odd, and his is not counted as an Elf-Man relationship.. even though his parents were brought back as mortals...).

The best example though is probably the example in Unfinished Tales with Imrazor and Mithrellas; their son was the first prince of Dol Amroth and very much mortal. Mithrellas did not 'become mortal' by wedding Imrazor because she did not have such a choice; only Beren and Luthien, then Earendil, his wife, and his children and grand-children, had such a choice. His dad also got some sort of special pass too, but it was for a different reason IIRC. Nevertheless, it's simply all in that family.

Of course, because it is in Unfinished Tales and the whole Elf-Man geneology outside of Earendil and his more immediate family is very unclear. I personally like to go by UT's Prince of Dol Amroth take in that, outside of special cases with the intervention of the Valar and Eru, Elf-Man relationships, and their children, default to Men with perhaps a little bit longer of a life. The lack of hard canon, of course, leaves it up to reader interpretation.

The relationships are so incredibly rare that I don't personally RP them; there are enough half-elves and Elf-Man relationships in RP to make it not nearly as special as Tolkien implies. In a more closed RP setting, granted, it could work a bit better.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Winterwolf View Post
    *Note: My elf/half-elf character is the daughter of a Sindar and and one who's race is not quite certain, though he is though to be either a Moriquendi (A refuser of the journey to Valinor) or a Anuir (Spirit) and therefore his children's race is in doubt.
    To add to what others have said about your post: Ainur didn't have offspring, as an almost invariable rule. A conscious decision by Tolkien, dating back to when he decided that none of the Valar would have children (as they did in some older writing of his). Luthien's mother Melian was meant to be an exception to that rule, as the marriage between her and Thingol served a higher purpose (it was part of Iluvatar's grand plan). That's the sort of lore you really shouldn't mess with.

The Sindar were Moriquendi themselves, although the Noldor eventually became diplomatic enough to stop calling them that as the Sindar really didn't like being called Dark Elves. The only genuine exception there was Thingol, because he'd visited Valinor and then returned. Were you thinking of the Avari, the Elves who didn't even begin the journey westwards?

Ok thanks, well I've scrapped the whole idea of the disputed parentage as it was making more trouble that it was worth. I originally tried it out to escape the whole lack of half-elves thing, but to be quite honest it is simply just easier to say that her mother was a noldor and her father an Avari, making the child half-elven... and I don't know what compeled me to think that the idea of an Anuir having a child was ok... I blame lack of sleep and lack of coffee Well anyway sorry for the convoluted and changing details...

And thank you so very much for your very detailed and very helpful answers. I'm trying to work out how to possibly resolve the issue of the half-elven as I really don't want Aduial (the child) to a half elf as that violates the rarity of them... Could perhaps Aduial's father have a lot more elven blood than most of the Dunedain? But then that means there had to be an elf marrying a human somewhere up the line that wasn't documented, which is the same problem.

Ah well, let's just forget the whole half-elven debacle for a moment and just simplify the question to:

"What is the best way to Roleplay an Elven child of 40-60 years or so?"

to be quite honest it is simply just easier to say that her mother was a noldor and her father an Avari, making the child half-elven
    Umm, no: someone who was part-Noldor and part-Avari would be an Elf. Possibly a rather mixed-up Elf, because that'd be wildly unusual. The Noldor tended to stick to marrying either amongst themselves or marrrying Sindar (once they'd decided the Sindar weren't just another bunch of Dark Elves, anyway) because they were really rather snobbish. The Avari were still essentially good people but fierce and wild by Elvish standards.

Could perhaps Aduial's father have a lot more elven blood than most of the Dunedain?
    The Dunedain in general didn't actually have Elvish blood, that was the Line of Kings. Not saying you couldn't have what you suggested, but you'd be talking about someone who was maybe distantly descended from some offshoot of the royal family, sort of very vaguely royal and hence a teeny-tiny bit Elvish too. But that said, please, please don't do the Half-elf thing!

Wise far beyond her apparent years. Very knowing. Probably a bit unsettling for mortals to be around, if she was part High Elf; few would be able to hold her gaze for long, her eyes would be very bright. But she could also be very girlish and merry, depending on her mood. She'd probably find the doings of mortals to be quaint and rather funny, and might be rather cheeky at times. And if she were part Avari too, she might be wild or fey at times, take crazy risks just for the hell of it, possibly be a bit frightening.

That's what comes to mind, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    The Dunedain in general didn't actually have Elvish blood, that was the Line of Kings. Not saying you couldn't have what you suggested, but you'd be talking about someone who was maybe distantly descended from some offshoot of the royal family, sort of very vaguely royal and hence a teeny-tiny bit Elvish too. But that said, please, please don't do the Half-elf thing!
    Oh no I certianly won't now having researched it quite a bit. Hmmmm... vaguely royal could work... *Opens family tree of the line of kings*

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Wise far beyond her apparent years. Very knowing. Probably a bit unsettling for mortals to be around, if she was part High Elf; few would be able to hold her gaze for long, her eyes would be very bright. But she could also be very girlish and merry, depending on her mood. She'd probably find the doings of mortals to be quaint and rather funny, and might be rather cheeky at times. And if she were part Avari too, she might be wild or fey at times, take crazy risks just for the hell of it, possibly be a bit frightening.

That's what comes to mind, anyway
    Ok, thank you, this is really helpful.
    So happy and bubbly, insightful and slightly snobbish but with a rather wild temper and a crazy steak at times?

Ah well, let's just forget the whole half-elven debacle for a moment and just simplify the question to:

Not as a child. What you have at 40-60 is an Elven teenager (I'm so sorry... XD) or a young Elven adult.

I've played, over the course of the last two years, two Elves in their 50s (one just turned 54 two days ago; the other is currently 51.) Elven majority is 50, so I basically have two 'young adults', who, due to the war, have grown up a little faster than might have been intended.

Additionally, I play a 19-year-old Elf... she's much more the 'elfling'; the happy and cheerful, wants to be just like her hero from history Finrod, playful and more or less care-free (except that she realizes that sometimes her Mommy and Daddy are awful upset about bad people). [Mirkwood Elves on assignment in Ered Luin.] Because Elven children are rare during times of unrest, I have tried to scale back some of the happiness factor. (This also includes, while in chat channels, making :0 faces at naughty words and threatening to tell her Nana about certain phrases, usually leading to lots of apologies from other gamers and the occasional cookie bribe.) In RP, another part of it is a 'no talking to strangers' rule -- the typical 'child' behaviours.

There is also someone in the kin that I'm in who plays a 6-year-old Elf; instead of using an Elf for the character, she used a hobbit. She pretty much plays the character purely as a child -- asks 'why' a lot, has a bedtime, can't go anywhere without parents or a guardian, etc etc.

I think some things about role playing child characters are universal; with Elves, it's just to think about adjustments on age. I have head-->desked a few times when an Elf reportedly in their 20s from their bio trots on over to chat about how they're getting married next week.

Most of all, though, have fun -- it's a game. ^_^

Good luck!
    Zhie ~ Librarian of Imladris ~ Children of Arda, Caun
    Bainith Proudfoot ~ Poet of Michel Delving ~ Children of Arda, Recruiting Officer
    Valarda ~ Maker and Chaser of Shiny Things ~ Children of Arda
    Eledu ~ Troublemaker ~ Lord of Something Awesome