We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Forum Problems

I hope the forum revamp severs the new-at-the-line vBulletin hack to use the account database, aka gives us a separate forum passwords again. The merge was not needed, not a good idea and in combinations with this issue deadly.

In the future they might have another breakin into the database. While last time they actually got the account database (via a hole probably left by the EU transition) they might screw up just the forum database in the future. And it would be really nice if in that event we don't splatter the actual game credentials all over the place.

Overall I can't help thinking that Turbine likes things the way they are with the non-working forum (not the password leak). Traffic is at an all time low and traffic wasn't always positive toward Turbine's actions recently (by coincidence since about the same time as the forum/account merge).
    Last edited by Darmokk; Mar 03 2013 at 09:46 PM.

My god I've been logged out 5 times in the past 4 hours and not once in the other forums I visit. 3 times it's been when I'm trying to reply to a post before I ever start writing and it just removes any desire to actually contribute. These are seriously the worst, most unprofessional forums I've ever visited created by an actual business and there is no excuse for a real business to allow them to exist. These forums are what happens when a kid learning coding creates stuff.
    Edited due to violations of the community guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by avengingbananaslug View Post
    These are seriously the worst, most unprofessional forums I've ever visited created by an actual business and there is no excuse for a real business to allow them to exist. These forums are what happens when a kid learning coding creates stuff.
    These forums are what happens when the people in charge of them 1) are not paying attention (such as to the fact that the forums just got much, much worse), and 2) do not care if there are problems.

It's not about making players happy (or reducing frustration) - it's obviously about making money in the store, and since few actually use the forums, they don't see to think broken forums will reduce how much they are making from the game.

It is terrible, but they just don't seem to care. Clearly, after so many years, having working forums is just not a priority.

They don't care and they probably will never fix it. They tell you to go to twitter or facebook which is a joke. They have more important things to do with our money like that PAX thing so the devs and the fanboys can suck up to to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by cossieuk View Post
    Yes the should take the forum down till they fix the issue.
    Indeed. I'm not a webmonkey but Khafar seems to know about these things. If they can manage to take the forum offline for their own billing upgrade, it seems odd not to do the same for a couple of days to protect their customers. Unless of course those few new customers they may lose out on are more important to them than protecting their existing customers from having their accounts stolen, which may well be the case.

But, maybe they simply don't have the staff with the knowledge to fix it in a timely manner, which would be very worrying for a company running a major MMO.
    Last edited by monteeburns; Mar 04 2013 at 03:42 AM.

It's been owrse than ever for me over the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Yep. There's really no way any competent web developer could fail to figure out how to get back to secure logins (including investigation, fixes, and in-house testing) within 2 or 3 days. After all, it wasn't always like this. They broke it somehow, and going back to look at the source code revisions for every file anywhere near the login page (or web server config) should tell them what they need to know.
    Half of their issue is simply the fact that they are using vBulletin, VB is notoriously bad at handling login integration from external databases, if they were using something like PhPBB or SMF then they would have a lot less problems with integration, however both of them come with a slew of other issues so it's a bit of a catch22.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Actually, if they were straight with people and said "It's been brought to our attention that our forum login has a security issue, and we'll be down for a few days until we can get that fixed. Please bear with us, and we'll see you all back on the forums soon!"... I'll bet they'd get far more support than "knashing of teeth". There really isn't any "upside" to handling it this way.
    I agree totally, i can't believe that they have not once in an absolute age actually so much as acknowledged that there are issues with the forum, a simple update now and then letting us know they're aware and are looking into it would make a world of difference, bad customer service is bad news.

warner bros. bought turbine.

warner bros. has reported record profits

warner bros. apparently could easily afford to pay for fixing these forums

apparently, they don't want to?

the slow page load times and other issues like being logged out every day isn't even acknowledged

Just decided to check on the routing for the forums from where i am, it looks like the current really bad forum issues aren't actually at turbine (normal forum lag is though), there's a huge packet loss two jumps before Turbines gateway IP...

between jfk-brdr-04.inet.qwest.net (63.146.26.41) and 65.120.117.250

Both are registered to Qwest Communications Company, LLC at 1801 California street, Denver, 8202.

Devs you might want to see if you can contact them and see what they can do.

OrgTechName: Qwest IP Admin
    OrgTechPhone: +1-877-886-6515
    OrgTechEmail: ipadmin@centurylink.com
    Last edited by Edrogar; Mar 04 2013 at 06:49 AM.

These forums are indeed utterly awful. I get randomly logged out multiple times a day and most threads are taking upwards of a minute to load. It is most definitely not on my end.
    Eraelin | Redemnus

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Just decided to check on the routing for the forums from where i am, it looks like the current really bad forum issues aren't actually at turbine (normal forum lag is though), there's a huge packet loss two jumps before Turbines gateway IP...
    Having seen this was intrigued enough to give it a try. My pingplot showed a clean run all the way in, except hops 2 and 3. I'm assuming thats down to my ISP playing games (security or traffic shaping), otherwise it should be affecting everything I do. Its clear my routing is different up to the Turbine jumps, so avoiding the quest bottleneck you have.

I guess that means that issues may be based on where you are, or your route to the servers, but as I've had a particularly bad weekend and cannot see an Internet issue from where I am, it doesn't seem that way.

Edit. So much for being Mr Smartpants and trying to give an analysis from a different location. I've just realised you are a Jun '11er, and the first hop on your pingplot is London. So we're probably no more than 50 miles apart. Aaah well.

Edit 2: Oh C'mon, AGAIN with the logging out as I post
    Last edited by Carolas; Mar 04 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Half of their issue is simply the fact that they are using vBulletin, VB is notoriously bad at handling login integration from external databases, if they were using something like PhPBB or SMF then they would have a lot less problems with integration, however both of them come with a slew of other issues so it's a bit of a catch22.
    That's not actually their problem.
    Their problem is that they're incapable to set it up in a non-braindead way.

The main problem you guys are pointing out (unencrypted login) is due to some genius wiring the login button (and every other link) to point to http:// regardless of the way you enter (ie: instead of https://) and the form action stupidly just pointing its action to a relative URL (just a query string, really) rather than the full https URL.

Code:
    <form id='sitepass' method="post" action="?Site[Package]=SitePass">

Hence, when you enter the login page via http:// your browser will send it back the same way (ie. unencrypted). One workaround is to simply reload the login page (prior to logging in, of course) from its https:// equivalent and it will use the encrypted channel.

Fixing this would, BTW, take all of 10 seconds and would neither take investigation of any reasons nor any testing. Change. Save. Done. But hey, what do I know.

But apart from that login fubar, since I am ranting, anyway:

The other truely aggravating thing is that stupid behaviour to just append that "?sp_login=1" query randomly at just about every valid URL you try to visit which kicks you anywhere but where you wanted to be.

Seriously, Turbine, fix those two pieces of your b0rked forum, how can anyone even be remotely convinced you can properly handle game development when you fail at such a simple web forum?

SNy
    Last edited by SNy-lotrolinux-EU; Mar 04 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

Just decided to check on the routing for the forums from where i am, it looks like the current really bad forum issues aren't actually at turbine (normal forum lag is though), there's a huge packet loss two jumps before Turbines gateway IP... between jfk-brdr-04.inet.qwest.net (63.146.26.41) and 65.120.117.250Both are registered to Qwest Communications Company, LLC at 1801 California street, Denver, 8202.Devs you might want to see if you can contact them and see what they can do.OrgTechName: Qwest IP AdminOrgTechPhone: +1-877-886-6515 OrgTechEmail: ipadmin@centurylink.com
    From memory, Qwest Communications is a large international fiber-optic cable operator. I think they are the backbone connector between the US backbone and the UK equivalent. I am not sure what Turbine's contact with them would do, if anything, to help out. The funny thing is that the forums are being very good to me today, even though my local connection is not. The local provider must be doing maintenance.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

We got moved, yay!
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Well, at least someone in the Turbine offices noticed this thread Although a reply would be greatly appreciated, I don't know how liability and privacy laws are in the USA and if Turbine has to meet European laws, but at this moment they can't say they didn't knew it and it gives people acces to privacy-sensitive information;

There are also other risks, I don't know if Sapience and his collegues log into the forum from non-work locations, but if they got 'hacked' this way, there could also be some risks; Especially since they knew it.

I don't think WB would be happy if the next xpac leaked because of a for a long time known forum issue...
    Server: Evernight

Main: Thrabath - Champion - Lvl 105; Thramhir - Minstrel - Lvl 105

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    This is an actual service that I paid for that is not working. How simple can I say it? THE FORUMS ARE NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.
    Much as i agree with most of what you have written, i feel i have to point out something here. You do not pay for the forums as part of the service, forums are an entirely separate and gratis part of the service, they do not have to provide them at all, in fact i've played mmo's that never had them (dark age of camelot was one).

While I seldom post, I am a avid reader. There are several times that I was writing a post and had the same problem--logged out when I hit submit. Lately I have also experienced extremely long loading time when searching the forums. So long that I often just close them because I tire of waiting. I am in total agreement that these issues need to be fixed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3