We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry LOTRO doesn't start

I tried to play LOTRO but the game doesn't start. I log in and after I choose a server nothing happens.
    I thought that a clean reinstall might help, but I still have the same problem.
    What's happening? Why doesn't the game start?

Did the client already fetch the patch and update? Is the client allowed to connect through the firewall? Did you set it as 'run as admin'? (Vista/Windows 8)

Greetings, Polymachos

Quote Originally Posted by Vadendil View Post
    I tried to play LOTRO but the game doesn't start. I log in and after I choose a server nothing happens.
    I thought that a clean reinstall might help, but I still have the same problem.
    What's happening? Why doesn't the game start?
    I have the same problem and I dont understand. I try admin mod and reinstall but nothing.

help

This sounds exactly like the problem I ran into on Wednesday - I wil tell you my experiences, perhaps it is useful for you:
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit SP1. On Wednesday the usual Windows Patch installed itself - it was the Platform Update Windows 7 64bit KB2670838.
    Afterwards my Lotro (the most current version) showed exactly the same symptoms as you described: I got as far as choosing my server - then nothing and I was back at the login screen.
    After not even a new installation (via Steam) had helped, I decided to roll back the Windows Patch (which is thankfully very easy nowadays) - and lo: Lotro starts and plays now again flawlessly!

Two more things:
    - The Platform Update als gets installed if you install IE10 - so don't!
    - On my Notebook with Windows 7 32bit the Windows Patch was also installed - and there it didn't do anything to Lotro ...

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Rosealba View Post
    This sounds exactly like the problem I ran into on Wednesday - I wil tell you my experiences, perhaps it is useful for you:
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit SP1. On Wednesday the usual Windows Patch installed itself - it was the Platform Update Windows 7 64bit KB2670838.
    Afterwards my Lotro (the most current version) showed exactly the same symptoms as you described: I got as far as choosing my server - then nothing and I was back at the login screen.
    After not even a new installation (via Steam) had helped, I decided to roll back the Windows Patch (which is thankfully very easy nowadays) - and lo: Lotro starts and plays now again flawlessly!

Two more things:
    - On my Notebook with Windows 7 32bit the Windows Patch was also installed - and there it didn't do anything to Lotro ...

HTH
    Fantastic!, but or my english is really bad, or i don't understand anything. What I need to do?. I understand somethig like search a patch, enything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosealba View Post

Two more things:

HTH
    I installed the platforum update and Lotro still works, so it's not just the fault of the update, people with this problem have probably similar firewall or antivirus software.

Can this thread please get moved to the tech assist forum?

This is most definitely caused by a recent Windows update, my 64bit W7 machine had the same issue after applying updates installed on Wednesday.

Use the system restore feature within windows(no need to boot into safe mode, just use the search feature to find)to get it back to how the pc was earlier in the week(prior to updaets being applied, you will see the date)...
    Also you can click that the updates are not applied again... use google to find this out ;-)

Hope MS/Turbine manage to get this sorted(more likely a MS patch not working properly) as this is gonna cuase a lot of user's grief.

Thumbs up

Finally!!! good solution! and in-game already!! thanks a lot for that easy solution Karooo!

I fixed mine just by runing it as admin and in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode
    Hope this helps everyone else

This just keeps happening and I still do not understand how I can come into the game...
    Pretty confusing. :S

I have Windows 8...
    Last edited by Halondar; Mar 28 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halondar View Post
    This just keeps happening and I still do not understand how I can come into the game...Pretty confusing. :SI have Windows 8...
    If you have not done so already, make sure that the shortcut points to TurbineInvoker.exe, not TurbineLauncher.exe. The Invoker gathers up some command-line parameters and makes sure they get passed in the correct order and number. Sometimes you will see the error message associated with the crash. Sometimes you won't. Run a DxDiag, check your event log (under administrative tools in the control panel), and check the game log (in your \Documents\Lord of the Rings Online folder. If you don't see anything in the logs, submit a Technical Support ticket and follow up on the Technical Support (Windows) forum.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    If you have not done so already, make sure that the shortcut points to TurbineInvoker.exe, not TurbineLauncher.exe. The Invoker gathers up some command-line parameters and makes sure they get passed in the correct order and number. Sometimes you will see the error message associated with the crash. Sometimes you won't. Run a DxDiag, check your event log (under administrative tools in the control panel), and check the game log (in your \Documents\Lord of the Rings Online folder. If you don't see anything in the logs, submit a Technical Support ticket and follow up on the Technical Support (Windows) forum.
    I tried all the methods, even deleted, reinstalled 3x from STEAM and from the WEBSITE so that is together 6x... This is a very unfortunate since I really wanted to play again...

Sorry to hear it.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

i have the same problem pls help me

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vadendil View Post
    I fixed mine just by runing it as admin and in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode
    Hope this helps everyone else
    That resolved the issue for me with minimal effort <3

I had the same problem. I fixed it by going into the Steam Folder and found the game folder on there. I double clicked on the Turbine Invoker. Nothing happened so I shut the program down and then ran the Launcher as an admin and it worked for me.

Add another complaint to the list. I've got the same situation. Started playing on a system with Win XP 32-bit, but built a newer and much more powerful system installing Windows 7 64-bit. But the game refuses to launch on the new system. And no, setting it to "run as admin" does not work.

This issue is pretty new to me, since I could play alright on this same computer last year (yeah, it's been a while since I last logged in). No windows updates ever since, only had to go through a 3 hrs lotro update and now it doesn't get past server selection. :/

So, let me guess... the update broke something and no one knows what went wrong.
    Last edited by KainBlake; Dec 15 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KainBlake View Post
    This issue is pretty new to me, since I could play alright on this same computer last year (yeah, it's been a while since I last logged in). No windows updates ever since, only had to go through a 3 hrs lotro update and now it doesn't get past server selection. :/

So, let me guess... the update broke something and no one knows what went wrong.
    Got this problem yesterday after a Steam update. Haven't solved it yet...
    [b]Markorin[/b], dwarf, guardian
    [b]Macko[/b], hobbit, burglar
    [b]Markuilas[/b], weaver

My LotrO has stopped working as well. Last time it worked about a week ago. Now nothing happens after selecting server to connect. Running on Windows 8.1. Reinstalling of game from steam didn't help (did integrity check and it redownloaded whole game again because steam is stupid with lotro).

update: got it fixed with advice from other thread "I got it to work when I started the game from Another local account on my PC. Realised that the launcher wanted an new accept of the 2 EULA agreements after update.
    But somehow the client crashed instead of open them.
    To solve the problem just delete your "UserPreferences" file in "C:\Users\####\Documents\T he Lord of the Rings Online", you might have to set a few options again but you will be able to play. "

update2: now I have another problem. I can't enable Dx 11 anymore.. I updated new nvidia drivers few days ago, maybe just coincidence.

update3: Gpu update had disabled my SLI so after I re-enabled it the game detected that I can run with DX11 again o.O.
    Last edited by Zenulainen; Jan 11 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenulainen View Post
    My LotrO has stopped working as well. Last time it worked about a week ago. Now nothing happens after selecting server to connect. Running on Windows 8.1. Reinstalling of game from steam didn't help (did integrity check and it redownloaded whole game again because steam is stupid with lotro).

update: got it fixed with advice from other thread "I got it to work when I started the game from Another local account on my PC. Realised that the launcher wanted an new accept of the 2 EULA agreements after update.
    But somehow the client crashed instead of open them.
    To solve the problem just delete your "UserPreferences" file in "C:\Users\####\Documents\T he Lord of the Rings Online", you might have to set a few options again but you will be able to play. "

update2: now I have another problem. I can't enable Dx 11 anymore.. I updated new nvidia drivers few days ago, maybe just coincidence.

update3: Gpu update had disabled my SLI so after I re-enabled it the game detected that I can run with DX11 again o.O.

Yes, I remember that I updated both the Steam client and the Nvidia drivers before I tried to start Lotro.
    After I removed UserPreference.ini the problem disappeared.
    [b]Markorin[/b], dwarf, guardian
    [b]Macko[/b], hobbit, burglar
    [b]Markuilas[/b], weaver