We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Want to do DAMAGE!!

Folks - need the advice of all you experienced LMs to sort out this dilemma.

I would like to be a proper Loremaster - one that controls the elements as it is purported we do but the devs have seen it necessary to limit that and only make really strong in the fire dept, I wish to focus on that.

I want to kit out my staff and book to be fire specific - from crit to damage, everything is fire dps centric. As I only have 750pts to play around with and assume three Ridd crystals in each - what would that layout look like? Just to throw a spanner in the works, as alot of our DPS is melee based - I want staff strike cooldown at max - which removes 180 pts off the bat.

Love to see what you come up with

PS - if you have the time, I want to put together a staff/book combo that is most excellent at support.

Let the creativeness begin!!!

I find that the available legacies for staffs (staves?) don't allow for much creativity. I see that you WANT TO DO DAMAGE!, which is fine, but you really have no choice but to do damage. There is only one staff legacy that does not directly or indirectly boost DPS: the +%-to-power-share legacy. (BTW, can we get that to boost the fellowship power heal too?) So when I am in a group, and when my role is to buff allies/debuff mobs/share power and maybe do some morale healing, all I'm getting out of my staff is one modest bonus to one skill and whatever passive boosts (e.g., +will) that came with the staff on ID. Sure, I can replace bestowed legacies with stat legacies to eke out some additional advantages, but I would rather have bestowed legacies that boost my class skills.

Anyway, for DPS, obviously you want +tactical damage, whether you're going for fire, light, or lightning damage.

For a fire DPS staff, relevant major legacies are burning embers initial damage, cracked earth range, and fire skills crit multiplier. I don't know why anyone would go for cracked earth range, and I don't think I've ever seen a level-capped LM, tuned for endgame content, with that legacy slotted. However, if there's a creative use for it that I've been missing, I'd love to hear it.

Relevant minor legacies are +BE range, +cracked earth damage, +ents damage, and +gourd damage. The last two are the most popular.

Of the stat legacies, +will boosts general damage, and +fate will now boost crit damage.

When I had a dedicated fire staff at Lvl 75, I think it had:

1) + tac damage
    2) + BE damage
    3) + fire skils crit
    4) + ents damage
    5) + gourd damage
    6) + will
    Last edited by Samsgaard; Feb 28 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsgaard View Post
    I don't know why anyone would go for cracked earth range, and I don't think I've ever seen a level-capped LM, tuned for endgame content, with that legacy slotted. However, if there's a creative use for it that I've been missing, I'd love to hear it.
    I hardly ever pvp with my LM (prefer to creep), but I did have cracked earth range on a swap stick. Maxxed out, you can hit a target about 42m away, making it hit people who think they're at a safe distance. CE hardly ever does enough damage to make a difference, but it is fun for rooting people.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000051de2/signature.png]Naethromraw[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Samsgaard View Post
    I don't know why anyone would go for cracked earth range, and I don't think I've ever seen a level-capped LM, tuned for endgame content, with that legacy slotted. However, if there's a creative use for it that I've been missing, I'd love to hear it.
    Yellow traitline. Pull a thrash pack with long-ranged cracked earth - and get some rooted mobs right in front of you, while your herb-lore stays off CD.
    Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

Great replies so far but ppl - I want detail ...

I would like not only to know the composition of the LI in the staff/book but how you attribute the allocated points to it to make it a fire DPS beast.
    For example, in the staff I have:
    Tact Damage rating
    Fire skills Multiplier
    Tact Skills direct damage
    Staff strike CD *
    LotRD Damage
    Burning embers Initial Damage
    Sticky Gourd Direct Damage *

The asterisk is max. rank.

So I don't want this staff rated - I want to know what you would do/have in the staff and book and how many points associated with it to make it a DPS set.

Hope this helps...

As to where to put the points is sort of based on your play style. What skills you like and work for you may not work for another. The only one I think all can agree on is to max out the Tac damage rating, possibly max out the fire skills multuplier. After that it is up for grabs. You need to work with it and see what suits your DPS style for the best setup. IE: I never slot LoTRD legacy, there are others I prefer.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

I see how badly you want to do damage, but at the risk of being a party-pooper, I am not sure there is a singular path to the destruction you want.

I don't think I saw anybody mention Lightning Storm, either initial damage or crit. It's a triple blast of fire damage. I personally love the LS damage. The cool down is not a big deal really, it's about right for a final blast on every fourth mob or so, some times it will wipe out two fresh mobs.

By maxing your Straff strike, you get the satisfaction of using the staff but those points could go towards Tact Damage, which I would max before SS cooldown personally.

More than one staff is definately the way to go. You end up with lots of legacies in storage after deconstructing staves, so you can level a staff with legacies you don't want, swap for ones you do want. Use the scrolls that let you wipe the points clean, try a few different builds - you will eventually have a stack of these scrolls, no harm trying a few different things.

All the damage in the world won't help you if you get hit and don't have your traits, armour, jewellery and such to protect you. You can trait for better damage, max your Will, apply titles to the weapon (or book for that matter).

For example, if you use knowledge of the LM to reduce the mob's resistance, wind lore for the miss chance, have de-buffs on your book and your resistance is as high as you can get, less fire damage will do more damage (imo) than being maxed to hit with fire but the mob is full on able to resist it.

I know you want specifics, but I am of the "big picture" camp and believe in working a mob from different angles until it falls - and this can be done very quickly these days.

We used to be so squishy, now we are pretty uber. I am not being snarky here (honest) but this class is not a DPS class. So if you just like the whole fire-damage-kill scenerio, try different stuff until you see the results you want. Honestly, a couple store buffs to your weapon may not achieve the results you are hoping for.

And what level are you, how are your traits? Do you like using an animal friend for extra fire damage, more crits on those fire skills, making the mob weaker for when you use those fire skills?

Just some thoughts and kudos on trying to build a better LM! Awesome

First of all, max out +tactical damage of your staff. It will do more good for your fire damage than any legacy.
    Legacies for doing damage in order of importance:
    1) Tactical damage
    2) Fire crit multiplier
    3) Staff strike cooldown
    4) Burning embers initial damage
    5) Sticky gourd damage

For a book you want both -damage resistance legacies, fire crit rating legacy, DoT damage (maxed out), Burning embers DoT pulses (at least +1 pulse, +3 is more than enough)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    I don't think I saw anybody mention Lightning Storm, either initial damage or crit. It's a triple blast of fire damage.
    No. It is LIGHTNING damage. As in "not improved by any +fire damage set bonuses/fire crit legacy/book title"
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    The cool down is not a big deal really
    It is. Because of a long CD, LS damage legacy gives you a pityful amount of DPS (damage per second) - and that`s something you want to max out if you`re serious about damage. LS damage legacy can be useful in PvMP, but in PVE it`s wasted points.
    Last edited by Olfaran; Mar 09 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

For a pure damage staff? Assuming 750 points and maxed rank legacies.

1). Max the Tactical damage rating -- cost you 230 points. You cannot get around this one.

2). Cap Tactical skills direct damage -- cost you 144 points*. 10% boost to all fire skills is the next biggest bump in damage available.

3). Cap staff strike cooldown -- should cost 144 points.* Huge boost to a bread and butter skill.

At this point you have 2 choices. This is your last guaranteed major and you have 2 real options. What you do comes down to your preferences and play style. A lot of people would stick fire skills crit multiplier in this slot, and if your style focuses heavily on AOE fire damage it may be the way to go. Personally I take what may be a conservative view, where I prefer a smaller boost to every use of a skill...So.

4) Cap Burning Embers Initial damage -- cost you 144 points.* High damage, short cooldown skill, and with stacking DOTs, so no reason not to spam it.

After that, you should have enough points to max one more legacy with enough left over for 4-5 ranks in another (or split the points between them.

By the rules you have set it should be:

5). Cap Sticky gourd Direct damage -- cost you 144 points.*

After that, it doesn't really matter as the rest of the fire skills are on a 30sec cooldown or longer, which means you don't get a big boost from the legacies.

NOW. With that said, I'd suggest you consider some other options. As far as I know, the Sticky gourd legacy has no affect on the hotspot, so if that was your intention; its going to do less than you hope for. If you don't have a 4th Major legacy, then that doesn't matter as its as good as any other minor fire based legacy.

That said, if you wind up with a 4th Major legacy, you will probably get much more bang for your buck from the fire skills crit one. Drop the sticky gourd one to legacy 5 and pump whatever points you have left into it.

6th legacy? whatever you want. You are not going to put points into it so it will only be a tiny boost. Ents damage if you slot it, or Cracked Earth if you use it.

I have to finish saying that I would not necessarily build a staff like this, as I never go all out for damage, and am too lazy to have multiple staffs, that means I have to compromise.

* Just highlighting that the numbers come from tier 6 legacies. I went that way to show what can be done. With lower tier legacies, I'd still fill them up from the top down until you run out of points. As soon as you start varying the tiers, the changes in costs make it impossible to make detailed suggestions.

Books are easy by comparison. There are only 3 damage effecting legacies : Burning embers pulses, fire damage over time and Fire skills critical. Max them all. After that, the damaging skills and fire skills resistance legacies -- just in case your finesse isn't up to sctrach. If you don't touch your healing rating, you should be able to max them all.

As with the staff, its worth saying. I wouldn't build this way, but have a composite instead (yes I am that lazy).

Last summer when I was flush with worn symbols of celebrimbor and bored, I made a dedicated fire staff, a dedicated light staff, and a dedicated power/lightning staff. Never actually had occasion to use anything other than the fire staff in raids (power shares were rare, casters had such huge power pools by then). Soloed ROR with fire staff, deconned the other two staves when I got to Lvl 85. Deconned the fire staff when I got a tarnished symbol and made a Lvl 85 staff.

The sad point is that no matter how much love and attention you give to any LI to make it the "ultimate" item, it's not going to last long. That Lvl 85 2A staff that I have now that is pretty tricked-out? When U10 is relased, and when I have acquired enough seals to barter for a tarnished symbol of the elder king, I'm going to be sorely tempted to make a Lvl 85 FA staff. That will last me . . . oh, until Western Rohan is released in the fall and Lvl 95 2A's are available.

Sigh...

Unless I have missed the info you did not mention if u want PvP DPS staff or PvE staff.

my PvP staff has BE Range - a must have IMO.

About Staff Strike i am not maxed need 2 levels to max - at the end the cost of points is not justified for the CD you are getting. That is again a personal preference.

I also have LoRD Crit (rank 1 not worth to invest in it) - Run full DPS PvP moors set - where LoRD crit recovers Sticky G.

Sticky G and Ents are not worthed.
    [url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/911993610lotro_lotro18.png[/img][/url]

Maybe I'm the only crazy one here, but I honestly can't see any situation where having Staff Strike CD legacy is a benefit. If you're in a raid or group, there are very few times where you'll be in melee range. And in solo content the likelihood of things even getting to you in time to use Staff Strike is low. That said, here's the legacies I'd look into putting on a DPS staff (in an approximate order of "importance").

Tactical Skills Direct Damage
    Fire Skills Critical Multiplier
    Burning Embers Initial Damage
    Sticky Gourd Direct Damage
    Ents Go To War Damage
    +Will OR Light of the Rising Dawn Damage

In addition to the above, I'd be looking at the following for the book:

Target Resistance Rating (Damaging Skills)
    Target Resistance Rating (Fire Skills)
    Fire Damage Over Time
    Burning Embers Pulses
    Wizard's Fire Pulses
    +Will OR Legacy of choice

On top of all of that, I would go so far as to include a gear option. If you're into PvMP at all, I would try to get your hands on the Storm-Caller's set, though otherwise the Hytbold Fury set wouldn't be bad. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say the Lore-keeper's set would be a good option, especially once you have the full set bonus. That's an extra 15s of -10% fire mitigation on any target in your Sticky Tar. There'd also be only a 15s gap between when you can throw the tar down, essentially "on par" with a CD modifier for the skill.

This already feels on the tl;dr side, lol, but if you're curious about my reasoning or looking for more in depth stuff, let me know
    [center][color=#CC3300]Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel[/color] [color=#666699]· [i]Retired[/i][/color]
    [color=#993333]"I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
    Maybe I'm the only crazy one here, but I honestly can't see any situation where having Staff Strike CD legacy is a benefit. If you're in a raid or group, there are very few times where you'll be in melee range. And in solo content the likelihood of things even getting to you in time to use Staff Strike is low.
    Say what?! Sounds like a playstyle issue to me, but personally, I think if you're not in melee range as a DPS LM, you're losing out on a lot of damage, not to mention the crit buff from Staff Sweep. Unless mobs do a lot of 360 AoE, there's no reason not to be all up in it tossing out staff skills, Bane Flares, Storm Lore, Sticky Tar, glowy circles, etc...
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

If you want to do damage as LM you need to get close and personal with mobs - significant portion (around 40% or so) of your maximum damage is done at melee range: auto attacks, staff-strike, and staff-sweep.

Legacies you want on your PvE staff are:
    -tactical skill direct damage
    -staff strike cd
    -burning embers initial damage
    -fire skills critical multiplier
    -legacy of will
    -legacy of fate
    -legacy of vitality

Practice your rotation: BE is on 3 sec cd, staff-strike (maxed) 5 sec cd, staff-sweep and lotrd 15 sec cd, sticky gourd 30 sec cd. Cast BE always when it comes off cd. When you close in with a mob or boss remember to use staff-strike (or right-click) immediately to start your auto-attacks. Use staff-sweep preferably before sticky gourd, it's critical damage is higher than BE's. There are moments in your rotation when all of the above are on cd, fill in the gaps with whatever you want.

Upgrade all major legacies to rank 6 and max them. It is not worth it to upgrade stat legacies. You should ofc have 2nd age staff.

EDIT: Get lots of morale and physical mitigation, squishy cloth wearers need it. Unlucky devastate from an elite mob in dungeon can easily one-shot you after someone else pulls aggro from tank, for example.
    EDIT2: Fate increases your tactical critical multiplier (even before U10), on my LM I have around ~350 Fate and my fire skills crit multiplier is around 1.99 (up from 1.75).
    Last edited by Cirnirthiel; Mar 01 2013 at 03:44 PM.

My bad on the Lightning Storm, sorry all, I shouldn't respond when I can't double check in-game.
    I still really like LS though, it's not DPS (I didn't say it was) but it sure can do some damage!

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Say what?! Sounds like a playstyle issue to me, but personally, I think if you're not in melee range as a DPS LM, you're losing out on a lot of damage, not to mention the crit buff from Staff Sweep. Unless mobs do a lot of 360 AoE, there's no reason not to be all up in it tossing out staff skills, Bane Flares, Storm Lore, Sticky Tar, glowy circles, etc...
    Maybe it's because I take a more balanced approach (mixing debuffing with my dps to maximize it further and reduce my inc. damage) rather than "rawr dps" that I have this outlook. Yes, Staff Sweep is good for the bonus, I don't deny that and I use it myself. But I get in there, use it, and back out again. There's no reason that I see to be in a mob's face the entire time. And in any solo situation, all but elite+ mobs are dead before they reach me unless I pulled 3+ and don't manage my CC/pet properly.

Doesn't change the fact that I still believe a legacy for Staff Strike CD is a wasted spot. 10s is not that long of a CD to begin with and there are better legacies to utilize in it's place. But that's just my opinion; if you have the damage right from the get go, who needs to worry about being up in melee range?
    [center][color=#CC3300]Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel[/color] [color=#666699]· [i]Retired[/i][/color]
    [color=#993333]"I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."[/color][/center]

Guys - great suggestions, given me a lot to think about and more ideas about how to excel with this class. One question asked I did not explain was I was looking more at PvE than PvP, but the PvP suggestion are great because I want to get out there and confuse some creeps

The biggest issue I have with the LM atm is the duration of the inductions. LS is great, but it can be interrupted and wasted so easily (which slightly confuses me why the RK do not have the same issue) so I use it rarely and never rely on it. I also would love to run and throw fireballs as I can on my horse but no - I gotta stand still and think about it first ...

Anyway - I digress. This thread is about PvE fire staff/book damage for solo LMs.

Great information - don't stop yet

Cheers, a couple of thoughts;

I have a 75, 2nd age staff with Burning Embers range (often use it even with Hytbold 85 stuff) and it's a tonne of fun. The graphics of throwing a fireball a long distance really struck me early on and I always wanted a fire staff. Aside from the crafting materials, I go for staves more than books or bridles. Very interchangeable.

The very nature of cycling through skill rotations makes the whole cool-down issue less so, for me.

You still are not specifying why you need this, now. I found over time that each new zone introduced a new approach to how I was built and what I was doing. Take a risk and burn through some relics, get a few staves to 31, doconstruct them and build up your library of legacies. You can always change your mind. You will, by nature of wanting to be better, be a great LM.

And again, never underestimate the advantages of having your traits/virtues to level. They really help.

Edit:
    LS - you won't always be interupted, you can seriously stun an elite if traited as such, and keep it stunned while pummeling something else. You can root two mobs while killing another. If I may now, fire is awesome, but you have many skills to quickly kill enemies
    Last edited by Schmidster; Mar 01 2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: LS explanation...

Maybe it's because I take a more balanced approach (mixing debuffing with my dps to maximize it further and reduce my inc. damage) rather than "rawr dps" that I have this outlook. Yes, Staff Sweep is good for the bonus, I don't deny that and I use it myself. But I get in there, use it, and back out again. There's no reason that I see to be in a mob's face the entire time. And in any solo situation, all but elite+ mobs are dead before they reach me unless I pulled 3+ and don't manage my CC/pet properly.

Doesn't change the fact that I still believe a legacy for Staff Strike CD is a wasted spot. 10s is not that long of a CD to begin with and there are better legacies to utilize in it's place. But that's just my opinion; if you have the damage right from the get go, who needs to worry about being up in melee range?
    I think I have to flag up a few things here. Firstly, the whole focus of the thread was 'Rawr dps' and under those circumstances the legacy is near the top of the list. I said in my build upthread that I wouldn't necessary make the staff I suggested, but it does the job intended.

Secondly, the OP put staff strike cooldown on his brief, which which suggests their playstyle leans towards the up close and personal, and its where the skill shines. In the end, up close VS ranged both have their downsides: close up has the risk, but staying at range sacrifices what? 1/3 of your DPS? Neither is better; its a choice.

I can see the argument about single opponents. I Pull correctly, and a critter gets to me just in time to fall over. However, more often than not these days, I end up in fights with 2-3 or more normals or 25k+ elites/bosses where I am going to be in melee for a while.

Thirdly I love the synergy Staff strike has with other things that I like. If you fight in melee, you are going to have master of the staff traited, so the legacy is now halving the cooldown of a high damage skill that can proc a stun. If you use a high flanking pet, you can get the extra damage, and right now the 3 set bonus (soon to be 2 set) on the red line Hybold set adds the cherry. Unless you are unlucky, you should squeeze both a staff strike and a heal out of every flank, but the 5 sec cooldown is crucial to that.

Again to make it clear, I'm not saying going into melee is the better option; but there are very good reasons for choosing to go that way. If you do Staff strike cooldown is a must-have.

A couple of things that popped up since my last post:

I agree with the guys who mentioned BE range. I have got into the habit of sticking it on a PvE staff now. I pull with embers, and that bit of extra range is always nice.

Equally, I also love the LORD legacies, but on a fire staff

JohnDoe1000. -- I agree that the issue with inductions and casting on the run is a pain, but is kind of part of being a LM. Ironically, the way to deal with it (at least for me) is typically 'Loremastery'. It comes down to planning your induction skills, or taking advantage of circumstances. The simplest way is to use your stuns. Stun your opponent, and use the breathing space to get off an induction. Storm lore gives you an AOE option (storm lore-->lightning storm is fun offensively). If you have tar down, backing off can give you time for a short induction. Even herb lore as an instant root, gives you a chance to back off, get your skill off, and dive back in. In that case, even if the root doesn't hit them all, getting a skill off with one critter beating on you is much easier than with 4

Staff strike is mandatory if you're serious about damage or having fun :P

Yeah maybe you wouldn't want to be in melee every single fight, but you definitely should be when you can. Both for the significant autoattack damage (goes off automatically inbetween casts), but staff strikes for efficient damage for the power use inbetween important casts and staff-swipe for significant aoe damage and fire crit buff.

The melee aspect is what makes loremasters so incredibly fun and useful (well, to cap off all the other tools). And yeah, with the hytbold set, you can spam staff strike every cooldown and still use your flank for swipe or heal.

The majors really aren't very negotiable

Major
    -----
    Embers initial damage
    Fire skill crit
    Staff strike cooldown
    Tactical skills damage

Minor
    -----
    Sticky gourd direct/cracked earth/gust of wind/ents or lighting (if you want the burst for pvp or something). I'd personally say sticky gourd and cracked earth, but none are really mandatory.
    Last edited by dstini; Mar 02 2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolas View Post
    Secondly, the OP put staff strike cooldown on his brief, which which suggests their playstyle leans towards the up close and personal, and its where the skill shines. In the end, up close VS ranged both have their downsides: close up has the risk, but staying at range sacrifices what? 1/3 of your DPS? Neither is better; its a choice.
    Woah woah. In what way do you lose 1/3 of your DPS when you're at range? Please share the numbers on this one, I can't wrap my head around it. If you can show me solid proof that a LM does measurably greater DPS and damage when they're in melee vs ranged, I'll concede that Staff Strike is a worthwhile legacy slot and worth consideration for the "rawr DPS" build in a lore-master.

There are so many other skills in a lore-master's arsenal where Staff Strike should be, in my opinion, low on the rotation list. Staff Sweep when you need the buffs and to maintain them, but otherwise, I'd be looking at all the other tools you have at your disposal rather than sitting there whacking the mob with your staff. In fact, damaging skills with CC effects should probably be higher on your list if you're pulling multiple mobs or getting elites.

I'll use the 'Moors as an example, as many lore-masters are forced into melee range for combat. I can honestly say that I could count on one paw the number of times a good lore-master uses Staff Strike as their "bread and butter" DPS skill when fighting, even in melee range.
    Last edited by xxforcardassia; Mar 02 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Woah woah. In what way do you lose 1/3 of your DPS when you're at range? Please share the numbers on this one, I can't wrap my head around it. If you can show me solid proof that a LM does measurably greater DPS and damage when they're in melee vs ranged, I'll concede that Staff Strike is a worthwhile legacy slot and worth consideration for the "rawr DPS" build in a lore-master.

There are so many other skills in a lore-master's arsenal where Staff Strike should be, in my opinion, low on the rotation list. Staff Sweep when you need the buffs and to maintain them, but otherwise, I'd be looking at all the other tools you have at your disposal rather than sitting there whacking the mob with your staff. In fact, damaging skills with CC effects should probably be higher on your list if you're pulling multiple mobs or getting elites.

I'll use the 'Moors as an example, as many lore-masters are forced into melee range for combat. I can honestly say that I could count on one paw the number of times a good lore-master uses Staff Strike as their "bread and butter" DPS skill when fighting, even in melee range.
    http://docholidaymmo.com/2011/08/28/...a-lore-master/

The directly relevant stuff is near the bottom.

Its old, but things have not changed that much, and even though Doc Holiday doesn't play that much any more, his stuff is usually pretty well respected. Ultimately his point (and I guess mine) is that people underestimate just how much damage our auto attacks put out until it gets measured.

As to the rest?
    The debuff stuff is kind of stating the obvious. If I am working to standard procedure, pulling from range: My target gets SOP command first 'cos it doesn't agro. It gets pulled with BE then hit with gust of wind. If there is time it'll be hit with cracked earth as a just in case. When it gets to me it gets a LORD in the face. So by that point I have hit it with a bunch of 30 sec debuffs and may have a root up my sleeve. I also have a couple of seconds to assess what to do next. I tend to keep Fire lore and ancient craft in reserve (not really needed) unless its a big boy, then read them for cracked earth, and maybe prep with Tar as well.

My point? By the time I'm in melee, all of the necessary debuffs are already in place so managing the fight is all about selecting the skill sequence that offers the maximum DPS while keeping me healthy. It may mean you spam BE and Staff strike, or slot them around other skills; depends on the fight. Of course if the bad guy is still standing after 30 secs, then you slot the debuffs back into the cycle.

As to the moors stuff; cannot argue with you. That said, PvP and PvE strategies are completely different, as I imagine are PvP and PvE staffs. Personally, I have not had access to the moors freepside for a couple of years or more, so I'm not sure where I'd start building a PvP staff.

Edit: Aaaaand logged out again as I post
    Last edited by Carolas; Mar 02 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Here's my pre U10 dps book and staff. I probably won't change much in U10 with my first ages. I'll add Ents damage on the staff with the 7th legacy slot.
    [COLOR=#800080][B][SIZE=1]Second Marshall Adanelriel Willbreaker,[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][B][SIZE=1] Mistress Over Fear[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#008000][B][SIZE=1] and lover of bog-lurkers[/SIZE][/B].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#a52a2a][SIZE=1][B][SIZE=1]~Adan - Incendiary Expert[/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by shadow21 View Post

Here's my pre U10 dps book and staff. I probably won't change much in U10 with my first ages. I'll add Ents damage on the staff with the 7th legacy slot.
    Just checking, do you ever happen to travel down dark alleyways where an enterprising individual could relieve you of those two beauties?

It would save me sooooo much time.

Having finally got a pair of symbols, I don't think I'll build much differently from those.

By the way isn't it really sad, that the best gems any loremaster can slot were put in game 4 years back, taken out of the game 2 years ago, and was not even the highest tier relic when it was around. It is also the only reason I would ever have relic removal scrolls in my inventory.