We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning LM who could use some Rotation/Trait/Legendary Item advice...

Hi everyone!

I'm back after being away for the past 18 months, and could really use some Rotation/Trait/Legendary advice for my 53 LM. I checked the stickies but everything seems to be out of date. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

I think you're gonna have to be a little more specific on what you're looking for! I could probably fill an entire page of information with a request that broadly, as I'm sure others could as well.

What is your playstyle? Do you focus on pets, or CC, or blowing stuff up with fire? That's a key piece of information to know to discuss both traits and "rotations" (though I'm of the opinion that a LM doesn't really have a set rotation as a class like champ does).

As far as legendary advice, the best advice I can give you is to always have all of your LI slots filled with LIs. Whenever you've got one leveled to the point where it's better than your current one, equip it, decon the old one, and keep on leveling more of them. I've found this strategy works much better than trying to upgrade at certain specific levels, as it allows you to find good legacies as well as getting the benefits of LIs you should be upgrading. That being said, if you're a level 65 still using a 55 LI it's time to upgrade whether or not you found an LI with legacies you want.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I know this isn't the advice you're looking for, but my advice would be: don't worry about it. Not too much, anyway.

As you may know from your past experience, the LM's role in a group is very different from what you do while soloing. If you're looking to shake off the rust and/or improve on your group role, you may not have many opportunities, with the new Lvl 85 instance/raid package coming out. Most of us who have lowbie alts are going to be pretty tied up with the new package for some time and probably won't be very responsive to "LFF Grand Stair" or the like.

As a soloer, trying to get some practice for group play while leveling, I treated my pet as my fellowship. Buff the bet. Debuff the bejeezus out of the mob. Then start DPS, but be careful not to grab aggro. Throw some heals at the pet. Rinse and repeat.

It will be slow-going if you do this all the time, but if you do it some of the time, you'll be more raid-ready.

Don't invest much in any particular LI, and don't get attached to one--you're not going to keep one for very long. Relic removal scrolls are expensive, so while you should be harvesting and combining relics to make more powerful ones for later, just put Tier 1 or Tier 2 relics on your LIs for now.

Happily, the LM is still a great class, and although we all have our gripes, the LM has fared relatively well in recent revisions/updates. At current level cap we now have group morale and group power heals, a more useful bane flare, and when suitably geated/traited, we can dish out a lot of damage in a variety of ways. With Update 10, LMs are getting some of the best options for mixing and matching armour pieces from different sets to get cool bonuses.

If you are looking for more advice, you may wish to specify what you expect to be doing mostly (soloing or grouping), because the advice would be different for each one.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    I think you're gonna have to be a little more specific on what you're looking for! I could probably fill an entire page of information with a request that broadly, as I'm sure others could as well.

What is your playstyle? Do you focus on pets, or CC, or blowing stuff up with fire? That's a key piece of information to know to discuss both traits and "rotations" (though I'm of the opinion that a LM doesn't really have a set rotation as a class like champ does).

As far as legendary advice, the best advice I can give you is to always have all of your LI slots filled with LIs. Whenever you've got one leveled to the point where it's better than your current one, equip it, decon the old one, and keep on leveling more of them. I've found this strategy works much better than trying to upgrade at certain specific levels, as it allows you to find good legacies as well as getting the benefits of LIs you should be upgrading. That being said, if you're a level 65 still using a 55 LI it's time to upgrade whether or not you found an LI with legacies you want.
    Sorry, I posted that shortly before taking a nap before work. Basically I like to play near the center of the action, using pets only for support abilities (typically the Eagle for the Flank Bonus). I typically solo Skirmishes/Quests, or Duo with a Hunter friend. Here are my current traits:

Virtues
    Empathy 6
    Loyalty 6
    Idealism 6
    Compassion 5
    Charity 5

Race
    Man of the Fourth Age
    Man Sword Damage Bonus
    Return to Bree
    Balance of Man
    Strength of Morale

Class
    Master of the Staff
    Fast Loader
    Flame of Arnor
    Dunadan Learning
    Improved Flanking
    Light of Hope

Legendary
    Sword and Staff
    Eagle Friend

For Traits, should I try to max one line to 5 for the bennies, or is it not really required?

I was doing OK with my friend, but soloing skirmishes with my Sage, I was getting my butt kicked earlier. I suspect Its rotation issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There have been quite a few changes to the class since you last played (especially if you missed the Isengard expansion). You might want to look at the RoI LM Dev Diary and RoI Patch Notes (and perhaps check other patch notes for LM-specific details).

RoI introduced a lot of trait and skill changes. Bane Flare is no longer limited to Undead, and both it and Blinding Flash can affect any mob type. The LM's resurrection skill no longer requires pipeweed. Burning Embers DoT stacks up to three times. Wind Lore is currently bugged and speeds up mob attacks instead of slowing them down. Dual-wielding staff & sword is now a passive; the legendary trait "Sword & Staff" isn't required for that anymore.

Jewellers can make brooches that are equipped to an LM's ranged weapon slot (a Brooch of Rage increases the pet's crit rating; a Brooch of Regrowth increases a pet's ICMR and evade rating) (added with Update 6).

If you haven't been to the LM trainer recently, be sure you go pick up any new/changed skills and passives available.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Class Traits - you're going to want to swap these in and out depending on what you're doing. I'm sure some players (in all classes) pick a lineup and never change it, but what fun is that? For soloing I suggest you try five red (big DPS bonuses plus the capstone that is great against a tough mob) and either two blue (for healing your pet) or two yellow (for buff/debuff). Note that going heavy into red line nerfs your cc skills to almost nothing, but even if you go full-bore, you'll still have a 5s flash and a 5s flare, which buys you time to heal/run away, and can also be used to interrupt enemy inductions). I also enjoy running 4 yellow/3 blue or sometimes 4 blue/3 yellow while soloing, to make more use of my pet and the skills that will be useful in group play. I never go 5 yellow while soloing (the capstone is not useful there) or 5 blue, but some people like the latter.

Virtues - you'll also want to swap these in and out. With Update 10, Fate will be a more important stat, so I'll be running with Idealism for a while to see if that helps. I've always liked Wisdom and Confidence. Charity is easy to pick up and gives you a ton of Resistance, but while I do tend to slot this, I prefer to keep my distance and not get hit with effects in need of resisting (but in boss fights in raids sometimes such effects are unavoidable). Virtues that boost Tactical Mitigation have also been in vogue for raids, but with Update 10, Will (your primary stat) is going to boost tac mit, possibly to the max, so I'm guessing that I won't be slotting those virtues anymore and will go with other defense-boosting traits and/or morale boosting traits like Zeal and Valour. Those are good for soloing too. One thing to keep in mind is that the devs monkey with the virtues from time to time and changes in the demands of the game raise or lower the profile of particular virtues, so it's best to build up as many as you can--that way you're covered no matter what. Plus, you get Turbine Points, and by completing slayer deeds you can acquire a lot of drops that can be traded in for XP at task boards or vendored for cash.

Oops, you asked about skirms too.

Haven't done solo skirms in a while, but I did at lot between level 40 and level 65. I think I usually went 4 yellow/3 blue (or maybe a red or two in there) and used a lot of cc and my pet (lynx and bear) to keep the mobs off me. If you're inclined to get more into the thick of the action, then you could try 5-red and rely less on your pet for DPS and tanking.

As an LM I've used both an archer and a herbalist as my soldier, but since skirm raids call almost exclusively for herbalists (due to aggro control issues), now I'm 100% herbalist.

At higher levels those encounter mobs have a lot of morale. I like to try to keep them occupied by my bear the whole fight, while I buff/heal the bear, debuff the mob, and use the bear to stun/debuff the mob as well. I do some DPS but not enough to take aggro away from the bear, and that's a balancing act that I find quite rewarding when I pull it off. Also, these mechanics are a decent approximation of what a boss fight in a raid would be like. When you trait red-line and go around destroying mobs quickly, you don't have an opportunity to practice keeping buffs/debuffs up and spot healing/power sharing.

Where to begin. As mentioned above, there could potentially be pages here.

As already stated, there is no one rotation and that depends on your style. If you like being in the middle of things, its the obvious start with debuff that doesn't trigger agro, the stacking burning embers means its more appealing to hit it as soon as it comes up. Other than that you feel your way.

On class traits: soloing seems to work with 5R/2B, 4R/3B or 4R/2B/1Y. A lot of people swear by the Red capstone, all can say is try it and see. In all cases you sacrifice your mezzes for damage, but roots and stuns still give you CC options. Traiting 5 yellow is inefficient unless you are grouping, where most of the time it is required. I'd push you away from 5 Blue in any circumstances (some disagree), but that says more about the state of the blue line than tactical considerations.

Virtues: personally I spend a lot of time on my own. After the armour changes a while back it seems to have become more effective to boost mitigations directly, which leads to innocence/compassion for Physical mitigation or Tolerance/Fidelity for tactical -- if the latter are still relevant post U10. Other than that more morale is always good, which means I stick with Zeal and Valour. I've never traited for resistance: in part because of our curative abilities, but mostly from the cynical view that the effects are unavoidable no matter how much resistance you have,so why bother. Wisdom has been the traditional 5th virtue for me, but when primary stats are around 2500 or higher, it just feels wasteful to take a virtue slot for 45 more. As with Samsgaard, I will try Idealism after U10.

For legendary traits: Recent changes have stopped the old gag that Lore-masters actually only have 2 legendary trait slots. I've not unslotted Sword and Staff yet; but I have actually thought about it. Eagle is nice, but for everyone who swears by it, you'll find someone else who will say it is not worth the slot and use the Raven instead. If you are traiting deep red, both Ents and Sticky gourd are well worth looking at. -- In the end there is no best option here, either swap based on the situation or try different combos until you find the one that makes you smile.

LIs? Most things are the same. I cannot remember when the revamp came in, so you may or may not be aware of the ability to take a legacy off one as you deconstruct it, and stick it on another. LI needs to be over level 30 for this to work. Staff legacies are unchanged. Book legacies as well, but the resistance legacies are made less useful by the introduction of finesse, which as far as I can tell has the same effect.

Edit: Oops. Skirmishes.

I'd go with a Herbalist. The healing it offers when it is fully traited should make solo skirmishes pretty straightforwards. You can even use it as a form of heal tank if needed.
    Last edited by Carolas; Feb 27 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Just gonna say something about rotations:

LMs have long cooldowns for their skills. That makes it pretty hard to get a rotation at all. So in my opinion it's wrong that there's several ways to a rotation. For a proper rotation you need the staff-strike-legacy on your LI and you need to be in melee. Oh and I guess you even need to be skilled in red for better cooldowns on some skills and shorter casts. So there's like 5-7 skills that can actually be included in your rotation. These are:

- Burning Embers
    - Staff strike
    - Staff sweep
    - sticky gourd
    - Light of the rising dawn
    and optionally
    - Gust of wind
    - cracked earth

You will always have to watch out to have at least one staff-sweep buff on yourself before throwing sticky gourd or your Ent.

Aside from that your rotation is just gonna go from skill to skill which is not on cooldown. No matter which way round

At higher levels, with suitable traiting and LI legacies, your fire damage can get quite high, to where (in solo content) you're rarely going to be in combat long enough to need to cycle through a rotation repeatedly. After setting a debuff or two, I like to put down improved sticky gourd (lasting AOE hotspot--just manuever the mobs back into it if they run out of it), embers, wizard's fire, and more embers (the DoT effect can stack three times), and if the mob isn't already dead, just relax and watch it bleed to death. For additional enjoyment, sometimes once the bleeds are down, I'll stun the mob (LotRD or Ents) so I can really relax and watch the bleed damage go by.

Thank you!

This is absolutely one of the most helpful LM discussions I've read. Makes me want to go home and play around with my traits/LIs and playstyle. Thank you everyone who posted on here, my apologies that I have nothing additional and valuable to offer - yet

/cheers