We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please add in-game gold/silver to Shared Wallet

Transferring cash between alts doesn't make for exciting gameplay and 50 coppers per transfer can't possibly be a sink of any worth in keeping.

In short, it's annoying. Stop it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000008b110/01001/signature.png]Dwimordalin[/charsig]

In short, NO.

There are just as many people for this, as there are against this...

Besides, why would you make it even easier for hackers to steal all your money in one fell swoop?

"why would you make it even easier for hackers to steal all your money in one fell swoop?"

I hadn't noticed that the current system was a significant hurdle for them. Nor that Turbine GMs were derelict in being able to trace/track/rectify such when it happened.

As for arguments for/against, what possible argument could there be in sharing gold/silver that hasn't already been made in terms of the more valuable tokens et. al. that are already shared? Gold/silver assets are the least problematic assets to share in terms of a shared wallet. In fact, it's so much of a non-problem that it's perfectly allowed through the mail system, just in an annoying fashion that serves no purpose whatsoever.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000008b110/01001/signature.png]Dwimordalin[/charsig]

There are a good number of people who play their characters separately, and don't like any merging of currency. I think Turbine has decided they have encroached as far as they want to go on this playstyle, with all the stuff that is already shared. They said as recently as last week that they get as many requests to NOT share currency as they do TO share currency. As much as I'd like the option, it's not so important to me that I'd want to ruin another person's playstyle over it.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwimordalin View Post
    "why would you make it even easier for hackers to steal all your money in one fell swoop?"

I hadn't noticed that the current system was a significant hurdle for them. Nor that Turbine GMs were derelict in being able to trace/track/rectify such when it happened.

As for arguments for/against, what possible argument could there be in sharing gold/silver that hasn't already been made in terms of the more valuable tokens et. al. that are already shared? Gold/silver assets are the least problematic assets to share in terms of a shared wallet. In fact, it's so much of a non-problem that it's perfectly allowed through the mail system, just in an annoying fashion that serves no purpose whatsoever.
    One big reason is that there are a lot of people against it for RP purposes. I don't see why we should change their gameplay just because you don't want to pay 50c to mail several gold.

The tokens were a different story, because they're not mailable. You either needed Shared Storage (Medallions of the Northmen & similar tokens) or they just weren't sharable at all (marks/medallions/seals). Since gold is easily mailed, there's no reason to merge it all.

One final reason they won't merge the gold is because of server transfers. If it's all merged, that means your gold is server bound. If you transfer a toon to a new server, you'll be starting over there with 0 gold, and that's not a very good incentive for people to pay Turbine money to move servers.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I can see the argument with regard to RP, but someone else's RP shouldn't have to impact my gameplay any more than mine should be forced on thiers. An opt-in system (like a checkmark toggle in the wallet) could consolidate cash. Removing a previously opted-in wallet could allow someone to redistribute it at their whim. Conversly, a gold/silver add-on account level shared wallet could be offered seperately from the current offering providing a opt-in option for people that would like to avoid the alt-hop, money-swap tango. Character-server swaps could also include an option on the transfer screen of how much of the shared wallet to transfer with the character. That's really a minor technical detail of making sure to ask all of the relevant questions when that is done.

Frnakly, there's more reason to be annoyed at shared reputation based tokens than cash. I was a bit surprised about that being offerred. Having gone that step though, there's simply no reason not to develop some mechanic that allows a gold/silver shared wallet that can appease all relevant playstyle issues with an opt-in, opt-out system.

One reason I don't want my gold merged is that I have 10 toons... Some I play lots more then others, if my RK has 1000 gold, I can afford to get him a few things in the AH that I can use... When leveling my guard, knowing I only have 60 gold on me keeps me out of the AH where I could blow through that in a fart... It allows me to spend on the toons I actually use, and lowers my spending on the alts that I don't play much, or at least makes me thing twice if I have to swap toons to send money for a purchase.

Skirmish marks for me was the same way when they were first merged, I ranked up a couple soldiers to max, then realized I had none left for my next toon, doh...

I have nine, six that are played at higher level, and 3 that mind the store (so to speak). Keeping tabs on what money is available but ensuring that warehousing alts have enough cash onhand for occasional crafting concerns (like a stack of coal from the neighborhood vendor) gets to be a royal pain.

The beauty of opt-in, opt-out options is that they aren't a "one size fits all" solution. You'd be free to keep whatever accounting method works for you. Frankly, I'm open to implementation methodolgy as long as it gives an option for shared access to gold/silver in some manner that isn't the current annoyance. Maybe the check-mark I mentioned above. Maybe a common "pool" that each character can deposit into/withdraw from at the vault.

I'm just fed up with having to transfer cash from one to the next to the next when its clearly unnecesary.

In the most recent developer Twitter chat this request came up and the response was that they get just as many requests to keep it separate. But an opt-in / opt-out option is a good idea. I'd prefer to have it in the barter wallet too.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    One final reason they won't merge the gold is because of server transfers. If it's all merged, that means your gold is server bound. If you transfer a toon to a new server, you'll be starting over there with 0 gold, and that's not a very good incentive for people to pay Turbine money to move servers.
    This one has been posted many times, and is the best (and quite probably the only) reason to not have money shared.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    This one has been posted many times, and is the best (and quite probably the only) reason to not have money shared.
    And as I posted at http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...32#post6690432 is not really a reason at all.

Character-server swaps could also include an option on the transfer screen of how much of the shared wallet to transfer with the character. That's really a minor technical detail of making sure to ask all of the relevant questions when that is done.

And as I posted at http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...32#post6690432 is not really a reason at all.
    Except that's not how transfers work. They're done manually, and it's a character copy and deletion, not a move.

Basically, someone goes in manually and has to move all of the relevant data. Adding in something extra that the mod has to do in order to make your transfer go through A) takes longer, which is never good for the customer, and B) takes more effort, which is bad for the bottom line and leaves more room for mistakes.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Except that's not how transfers work. They're done manually, and it's a character copy and deletion, not a move.

Basically, someone goes in manually and has to move all of the relevant data. Adding in something extra that the mod has to do in order to make your transfer go through A) takes longer, which is never good for the customer, and B) takes more effort, which is bad for the bottom line and leaves more room for mistakes.
    Frankly, looking at http://support.turbine.com/link/port...-Transfer-FAQs there are a number of items that are impacted when a character moves that would be affecting of account-level changes (housing loss, for example). I had assumed it would have been a much more automated process. As it's not, it's less of an issue than previously assumed and can be addressed as part of the character move process, along with all the other items mentioned in the FAQ. This is, of course, assuming that generating in-game cash is harder than the problems encountered at losing housing or character-bound storage items (which its not).
    Last edited by Dwimordalin; Feb 27 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fat-fingered

To the OP: I don't mean to be rude or anything, but after you read that as many players are against it as in favour, you still keep nagging to get what you want, which is just plain selfishness. There are enough reasons for the dev team not to make gold shared across your toons on the same server, so it isn't going to happen, deal with it... I've had ideas too which were good in my opinion, but half of the people on my kin chat rejected it already before I posted it on the forums, so I didn't go on about it.
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

Sorry for bumping this old thread.

I'm not sure how I got here but once I started reading I thought I'd put my 2c in.

Most items in the extended barter wallet are physical items, right? Some of them you put in there by taking them out of your vault and putting them into your inventory. What goes into your wallet does not come out unless the game has a way of charging you, whether the white items that are 'bound' or the green items that are bound to account.

What most people forget is that coins are physical items too. Before the ability to remote loot you had to click on a corpse and loot it. When you didn't have loot all on you saw physical coins in the corpse. You could choose not to loot the coins if you wanted. Nobody, to my knowledge ever did.

Now, IF you put coins in the wallet you can spend them on the auction house or a vendor but never trade them with other players. I doubt you'd be able to mail them either they are now B2A. So you would first have to figure out how to send Marks and Seals to other people cuz thats about what they would have to do... which defeats the B2A part.

I might be 100% wrong on this. Frankly, I do not want turbine messing with the gold system, as I believe for the previously mentioned issue, they might have to completely remove coins and put them back in again. Potential of gold loss...? Who knows. And again, it might not even be that issue.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.