We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cooking without Farming?

Can you level cooking if you do not also have the farming skill? Seems like you need both, but the Tinker appeals to me

Or is there a way to have an alt farmer feed ingredients to your main (tinker)?

Thanks for any advice to a new chef.

They go hand in hand yes, you will need lots of winter barley to make lembas etc and its variations at different tiers. The amounts required if you play a number of alts make it not possible to buy it from the AH down to cost, even if its actually sold on your servers AH.

So either have one character with both and make another alt for a jeweller, or make another for farming

My main is a tinker, and for the most part, I had little to no trouble leveling her cooking skill. Then again, I had a friend in the game that was all to happy to provide me with the necessary farmed ingredients in return for the metals and dye materials that she could not produce herself.

Admittedly, it is more difficult to level a crafting tier when you cannot provide the raw material for it yourself, but it still is possible to do without spending lots of gold. You just need to find someone, such as a friend or kin member, that can provide what you need and needs something that you can easily provide. Tinkers can produce all sorts of metals with their prospecting skill, yet need food materials. Historians can produce food materials easily, yet need metal ingots to level their weapon making.
    [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/10hncxh.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR="#8B4513"][MY ALTS] [B]Balvur[/B] warden/ [b]Hallti[/b] guardian/ [b]Hila[/b] burglar/ [b]Elenauriel[/b] runekeeper/ [b]Dolmifaynar[/b] minstrel [/COLOR]
    I speak my mind because it [COLOR="#B22222"][i]hurts[/i][/COLOR] to bite my tongue

My cook is a tinker, but then I also have an alt who is a scholar that does all the farming. Requires a little more coordination, but having your jeweler and cook be one and the same saves an alt. This also helps the scholar level up faster because she grows food and flowers (for dye making).

Just finished getting my Cook/Farmer pair of alts to Estemnet Mastery in the last week. Tried doing it without the Farmer but gave that idea up after it had drained a heap of gold and all my patience... YMMV

Once I had the Farmer, it only took around 3 days doing this exclusively...

+Edited for clarity
    Last edited by DJPorterNZ; Feb 26 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks all. What if I make an alt JUST for farming. Park her in the Shire, send her money, and have her just farm. Will that work? Or at some point will she be too low level to get farming skill above a certain point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
    Thanks all. What if I make an alt JUST for farming. Park her in the Shire, send her money, and have her just farm. Will that work? Or at some point will she be too low level to get farming skill above a certain point?
    Crafting skill is not dependent on character level, except in terms of what kinds of tools and crafting critical enhancement scrolls the character can use. Tools are no big deal now that you can get the universal toolkit for 150 points, and farmers don't need crafting scrolls. Heck, since the only thing better tools do for farming is reduce the time of 1 of the 3 farming processes (harvesting; planting and processing into cookable food are unaffected), you can get by without worrying about higher quality tools.

Awesome! So I can make me a level 1 Hobbit farmer and be happy in The Shire - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
    Awesome! So I can make me a level 1 Hobbit farmer and be happy in The Shire - thanks!
    Nawww level 5+ only :PP
    [url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/685424786lotro_lotro29.png[/img][/url]

Level 26 hunter alt is the best permanent farmer. You can set your campfire right by the shire fields. That way you can port to MD for vault, AH, or mailbox...and then port right back to the fields to farm. Laziness at it's finest

Your little hobbit farmer will not stay long at level 5. At low levels crafting is a significant XP booster, especially farmer and cook, because they typically make hundreds of whatsoever during one crafting session, and for each they get XP. Probably your farmer hobbit will reach the undying title before any other twink started at the same time, who must kill mobs for XP.

And do not forget to join the cook gild and max your reputation. Superior food for level 75/85 players gives good gold in the AH, and opposite to the other professions wher you depend on mats found only in high level regions you can farm all mats for the high level food independant from level.

Low level farming alt won't be able to get all the farming recipes. There are recipes that require reputation with certain factions. One example is the Wild Flower recipe (very useful for leveling a scholar). I found this out when I was attempting to level a scholar with farming & dyes. But I am not sure that there are any reputation-gated farming recipes for ingredients that are needed for cooks. So maybe cooks would not be affected by this farming limitation.