We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Forced logout getting worse

Yes, this is yet another thread regarding the problem of getting logged out of the forums. I used not to be affected by this, but since the back-end maintenance it has been happening multiple times a day. I have had several posts lost because when I hit submit I found I had been logged out. Definitely getting worse from where I sit.
    TANSTAAFL

I've noticed it getting progressively worse and worse, I don't think it was the maintenance that did it. I've been logged out at least a dozen times today, and at least two of those times was in the middle of a post. It's pretty noticeable too, just keep an eye on the "New Posts" page. It's clearing out every time everyone is force logged out.

And a quick note, I know someone from Turbine said that it was just affecting a vocal minority. That's somewhat true, and somewhat not. The people speaking up are the vocal minority, but as they're the ones that use the forums the most, it affects them the most. Someone who only logs on once every couple of days may only notice it happen once a week. Someone who spends several hours a day in the forums is going to notice it a lot more. So it's not affecting everyone 'equally' but it's definitely a community-wide issue.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    I've noticed it getting progressively worse and worse, I don't think it was the maintenance that did it. I've been logged out at least a dozen times today, and at least two of those times was in the middle of a post. It's pretty noticeable too, just keep an eye on the "New Posts" page. It's clearing out every time everyone is force logged out.

And a quick note, I know someone from Turbine said that it was just affecting a vocal minority. That's somewhat true, and somewhat not. The people speaking up are the vocal minority, but as they're the ones that use the forums the most, it affects them the most. Someone who only logs on once every couple of days may only notice it happen once a week. Someone who spends several hours a day in the forums is going to notice it a lot more. So it's not affecting everyone 'equally' but it's definitely a community-wide issue.
    Most definitely. I'd also add that I don't mention it nearly as often as it happens because it's so painfully common and I'd be surprised to be the only one in that position. Yesterday, I made a post successfully, then immediately tried to edit it to fix a typo. I was logged out in the minute between posting and trying to bring up the editor. I logged back it, accessed the post to edit, and make a quick change. I was again logged out before I could post the edited version. It's never been that bad before.

I do know that there is at least a small number of people who will avoid using the site because it's too frustrating. I have heard this from friends who say they don't bother to post nearly as much anymore because of the dubious functionality of the site. Considering we're all part of a group that has had a thread on the forums every day since open beta, it has a rather noticeable effect there. Granted, we're only a small sample size, but if the numbers extrapolated to the overall user base in anywhere near the same percentage, it wouldn't be just a token problem. (Of course you can't make a solid conclusion that way, but that doesn't make it an invalid indicator, either.)

At this point, though, I don't care whether these forums are "officially" deemed broken or not since a new community site had been announced. I hope is it implemented soon, and has a better start than this hot mess of a beta did.

(And now I copy my post before attempting to submit it...)
    [COLOR=white]Delaney ~ Burglar [/COLOR][COLOR=lime]*[/COLOR] [COLOR=White]Kimbre ~ Warden [/COLOR] [COLOR=lime]* [/COLOR][COLOR=White]Daeryth ~ Captain [/COLOR]
    [LEFT] [URL="http://pillagers.ayakis.com"][COLOR=darkorange]Pillagers of Pipeweed[/COLOR][/URL] ~ [COLOR=lime]Landroval[/COLOR][COLOR=lime]
    [/COLOR]"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert
    [/LEFT]

I never had this happen, since the maintenance it is happening regularly. I've gotten in the habit of copying my text into the clipboard before submitting because I'll get logged out. Either something has changed on their server or something in my browser (SeaMonkey, which is kind of FireFox). Only happens on this site tho.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    And a quick note, I know someone from Turbine said that it was just affecting a vocal minority. That's somewhat true, and somewhat not.
    It affects me. I just don't bother saying anything, as I figured it was only a 3rd age site, and I would replace it with a Second age after 300 more attempts at searching for a post on Bugud.

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    I do know that there is at least a small number of people who will avoid using the site because it's too frustrating. I have heard this from friends who say they don't bother to post nearly as much anymore because of the dubious functionality of the site. Considering we're all part of a group that has had a thread on the forums every day since open beta, it has a rather noticeable effect there. Granted, we're only a small sample size, but if the numbers extrapolated to the overall user base in anywhere near the same percentage, it wouldn't be just a token problem. (Of course you can't make a solid conclusion that way, but that doesn't make it an invalid indicator, either.)
    I had noticed that the Coffeehouse threads were decreasing in numbers. I have rarely stopped by on some of those threads. Heh. The Napoleon topic was the last one I remember personally checking out. So sorry that this forum has flopped out for them. I'm not going to copy/paste this reply. If it posts, yay, if not, no loss.
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    Yes, this is yet another thread regarding the problem of getting logged out of the forums. I used not to be affected by this, but since the back-end maintenance it has been happening multiple times a day. I have had several posts lost because when I hit submit I found I had been logged out. Definitely getting worse from where I sit.
    I've early grown a habit of copying my entire post before hitting Submit Reply, which is a gamble; but late at night following a busy gaming session and before going to bed I forgot my policy, and the forum graciously killed my page-worth essay-like pompous nerdish post on the Tolkien board.

I'm getting the ejection definitely more than once a day now. Added to the extreme page delays and arbitrary redirections to the main page, this is one of the worst forum experiences, if not the one, of my 16 years on intawebz
    Kibilturg; Watchers of Elendil (Landroval) & Tarciryan Knights (Crickhollow)
    RIP Imladris

I can only echo what Delaney said. As a lifetime member, and an "almost lifetime" member of the Landroval Coffee House crew, I can tell you firsthand that this problem is killing my attempts at posting and is getting worse and worse. Somedays I have to log in ten times or more. Its very frustrating. Since I do some of the famous edjumications ( I am the guy who did all the "Napoleon" stuff; actually it was mostly about Waterloo) and also the renowned Dwarven Hockey Roleplay (tm) (go Blackhawks) I have learned to copy and paste before hitting submit. But even then I get logged out trying to paste something to the forums.
    We have a fantastic community on Landroval. We have established a lot of traditions in the time we have all been together. I would hate to see the Coffee House shut its doors because we all get fed up with this problem. Besides, where is a chinchilla Barista from the third age in middle earth gonna find a job in today's economy? Please fix it!
    Gombur Gromburson, Level 105 Guardian
    Kin Leader of Remnant
    Commander of the 92nd Dwarven Highlanders

/signed

Its pretty bad. And not what you'd expect from such a good game that's been around for so long.
    I won't even go into trying to log in and post from a phone.

Perhaps we can make this topic the sister of 'The Thread that never Ends"

it goes on and on!

/signed.

I expect to be logged out when I post this. It happens at least 50% of the time, if not more.

And there are many other issues with posting and navigating these forums. If there's a new community site coming soon, it can't be soon enough!
    [I][COLOR=#40e0d0]Slamfist of Landroval and Silverlode - Slamwise - Slamburger - Slamrat - and Joe[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=#ffff00]< [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=351547"]a Hobbit's Tale[/URL]> < [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?313127"]Behold the Chinchillas![/URL] > [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar2007 View Post
    /signed.

I expect to be logged out when I post this. It happens at least 50% of the time, if not more.
    This. I don't post that often, so it's not just the vocal majority. Most of the time I'm
    posting in the Technical Support section, so you can imagine I'm not motivated to
    re-generate a post trying to help someone with a technical problem when about half
    the time my post is lost due to technical problems.

This is getting so very old. How long have we had this version of the forums, and nothing improves. How hard can it be to keep people logged in?
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: hall of fire & into the west

Unhappy

As if the forum is mocking I got ejected the moment I finished reading this thread and skipped to the next tab
    Kibilturg; Watchers of Elendil (Landroval) & Tarciryan Knights (Crickhollow)
    RIP Imladris

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

this is one of the worst forum experiences, if not the one, of my 16 years on intawebz
    Seconded. This forum is disgrace.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Had to log in three times today. Let's hope this post makes it in be fore I am logged out. I have essentially given upon posting here I just read because of the log-out issues *sigh*

edited just updating: since I last posted this I have been logged out 3 times. Yeah we may be a vocal minority but this really is bad. Plus my kinship STILL isn't showing my sig and it has been HOW long since the EU servers were migrated?
    Last edited by KuriositysKat; Mar 03 2013 at 05:10 AM.

It feels like I've had as many posts eaten as I have successfully submitted. I just lost another, and it wasn't the usual lost-while-submitting scenario. Instead, I was trying to get the WYSIWYG editor to show properly so I could include a picture. GAH!

Any update on a community site revamp and/or properly working forums would be greatly appreciated. I'm watching a daily thread slowly fade because it's simply too d@mn hard to post here.
    [COLOR=white]Delaney ~ Burglar [/COLOR][COLOR=lime]*[/COLOR] [COLOR=White]Kimbre ~ Warden [/COLOR] [COLOR=lime]* [/COLOR][COLOR=White]Daeryth ~ Captain [/COLOR]
    [LEFT] [URL="http://pillagers.ayakis.com"][COLOR=darkorange]Pillagers of Pipeweed[/COLOR][/URL] ~ [COLOR=lime]Landroval[/COLOR][COLOR=lime]
    [/COLOR]"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Docargyle View Post
    I can only echo what Delaney said. As a lifetime member, and an "almost lifetime" member of the Landroval Coffee House crew, I can tell you firsthand that this problem is killing my attempts at posting and is getting worse and worse. Somedays I have to log in ten times or more. Its very frustrating. Since I do some of the famous edjumications ( I am the guy who did all the "Napoleon" stuff; actually it was mostly about Waterloo) and also the renowned Dwarven Hockey Roleplay (tm) (go Blackhawks) I have learned to copy and paste before hitting submit. But even then I get logged out trying to paste something to the forums.
    We have a fantastic community on Landroval. We have established a lot of traditions in the time we have all been together. I would hate to see the Coffee House shut its doors because we all get fed up with this problem. Besides, where is a chinchilla Barista from the third age in middle earth gonna find a job in today's economy? Please fix it!
    I noticed less postings from the Coffee House in the past couple of weeks. I started writing my forum posts in notepad and then copying/pasting them, since it's the only sure-fire way not to lose my efforts. But it shouldn't HAVE to be this way. This makes it look like a bunch of rookies (n00bs) are running the forums.
    Server: Landroval
    Character: Haladain (Runekeeper) Lv. 82
    Kin: REMNANT
    Profession: Scholar

And yet again I hit Submit on a long post and find I have been logged out. I forgot to do a cut and paste first, so moor fool me, but why on earth should that be necessary? It has gone way beyond being an irritation.
    TANSTAAFL

And it happened again with my second attempt on the same post. Fortunately, I had it saved this time.

As someone who actually programs this sort of system as part of my job, I can only say that the current system is unacceptable. If I were responsible for it, I would be instrumenting it to gather data on all logins and explicit logouts, and comparing them with the lifetime of the cookies that are being created. It should be immediately apparent that something is seriously amiss, and that people are logging in much more often than they logout, and much more frequently than the lifetime of the cookies.

We are promised a revision of the Forums in the hopefully no too distant future. It is hard to see how it could be any worse than it is at the moment, so the sooner the better!
    TANSTAAFL