We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO downloader wouldn't start - and how to solve

Hello to everyone,
    just wanted to tryout LOTRO the first time, on my brand new late 2012 iMac.

Downloaded the installer from http://www.lotro.com/de/spiel/download (german version), being happy to see there's a mac version available. I've already installed the newest oracle java 7 sdk earlier.

But when i started the installer - just nothing. A Popup appeared asking me for admin credentials (just why?) - and then: pot, just nothing, no error, just silent exit.
    Being curios, i dived into the downloader's package content, finding another .app bundle, which contains a shell script to launch java, with the java jar as argument. so the shell script is in LOTRO-Live-multilang.app/Contents/App/LOTRO-Live-multilang.app/Contents/MacOS/LOTRO-Live-multilang.
    When i took a peek inside, i've found sth. like:
    java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader

Well - bad thing, as the oracle jre is a 64bit *only* java vm. The swt jar included is a 32bit *only* library. So, this combination would never run. To be able to ever start the installer on has to change the line to:

JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6` java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader

This will use the Apple-provided JVM, version 1.6, to start the launcher. The (actually outdated) Apple VM also still provides 32bit compatibility (kind of an anachronism on toda's macs).

So, if ever anyone has the same problem as me, here's a workaround

cheers

Vomyr

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnoob View Post
    Well - bad thing, as the oracle jre is a 64bit *only* java vm. The swt jar included is a 32bit *only* library. So, this combination would never run. To be able to ever start the installer on has to change the line to:

JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6` java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader
    Thank you!

I'll pass this along to Pando who seems as oblivious to the 32 vs 64 bit issue as is Turbine!!!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I didn't have this type of problem.

I could open the downloader and it would set up Pando. But then it would quit stating that Pando was being denied server access. I turned off my firewall and security program, still had the same error.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000001e881/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Did you actually get the PMB to run?

With your "fix" it still fails and does nothing.

running straight from the command line:

The original PMB version:
    > exec java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader
    Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
    Please install the desired version.

The version with your fix fails differently.

> JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6` java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader
    Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError : com/pando/installer/GameDownlo
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundExcepti on: com.pando.installer.GameDownlo
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run( URLClassLoader.java:202)
    at java.security.AccessController .doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findCl ###(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClas s(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoad er.loadClass(Launcher.java:301 )
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClas s(ClassLoader.java:247)

At any rate, I've sent your information to Pando, so we'll see what they come up with.

(Console log is still showing the same errors, which appear to be some sort of security error, but I haven't found anyone who knows what they mean.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I had difficulties to make it works on Mountain Lion, because I had only Oracle Java 1.7 JDK installed.
    So I downloaded and installed JAVA 1.6 from connect.apple.com. Then I modified the script LOTRO-Live-multilang.app/Contents/App/LOTRO-Live-multilang.app/Contents/MacOS/LOTRO-Live-multilang

#!/bin/sh
    BASEDIR=`dirname $0`
    export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6`
    exec java -d32 -XstartOnFirstThread -classpath $BASEDIR/swt/swt-mac-intel.jar:$BASEDIR/LOTRO-Live-multilang.jar com.pando.installer.GameDownlo ader

The difference here is that the JAVA_HOME is exported. Then I ran it directly from the icon (because you need the admin privileges)