We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Reeevaaaaaamp!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I disagree about Heralds being worthless too. They are very handy for solo play, because they can help take the brunt off of you if you get charged and can even take hits for you while you are stunned. They also work well with the Hytbold 4-set bonus, and can help shave off some extra seconds from your Valiant Strike cool down, so they do have their uses. I do think they could use some buffs though, especially in the threat department. That would make them a more effective form of crowd control/off tank (w/e term you want to use) if they did that.
    **Looks at mastery and morale on Hope and War Banners**

**Looks at the DPS and general flimsiness of a herald**

Yep, you're right, being a warm body to help peel off a bit more time with VS is the only thing they are good for nowadays.

Perhaps useful in the 'Moors with some of the creeps (until they figure to take it out), but generally speaking, I function better without the herald in group play, not because it's difficult to control, but because it doesn't add enough for what I'm losing.

I would truly love to see a return of the herald, it's a unique part of this class, but the heralds need a ton of improvements before they can make a come back.

1. I would really love a legacy critical dmg% Multiplier either on the lot of skills or on spesifics (Can`t see why we can`t have some of that too since everyone else has it more or less)

2. Maximize our buffs, get rid off the buffstick please, it`s like an extra tax on the captains

3. Make IDOME a normal aura skill or buff it up to warrant a "Legendary Trait" spot

4. Take a good look at the armour set bonuses, Make the bonuses make more sense.

5. Speed up the Halberd animation (i miss my halberd but the animation is slower than a 2h sword)

6. Revamp the Legendary Class items, not all of us feel like tanks or healers, surely you can make an item that does not have a gazillion vitality and some 2% Valiant Strike heal extra ouf!

7. Revamp banners, there were several great ideas here for new banners
    8. Either make the Heralds relevant or do away with them

9. Create a new legendary or 2, hitch the shield of the dunedain on to Hands of Healing and Oathbreakers Shame ontro Lead The Charge and create something similar for Leader of men and attach them to the Capstone bonuses.

10. Make our rallying horn a skill (5 and a half years of that thing taking up one bag slot)

thats my 2 cents atleast

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post

I would truly love to see a return of the herald, it's a unique part of this class, but the heralds need a ton of improvements before they can make a come back.
    I would love to see that too, and I do agree heralds need some buffs.

I slightly disagree that they are "flimsy" though. They aren't wardens or anything, but they can take some hits in my opinion. I use them a lot when I solo to take the heat off me when I get stunned or need to keep some adds busy while I burn something down. So they can help, at least for me. But I would love to see them get better.

I would love to see that too, and I do agree heralds need some buffs.

I slightly disagree that they are "flimsy" though. They aren't wardens or anything, but they can take some hits in my opinion. I use them a lot when I solo to take the heat off me when I get stunned or need to keep some adds busy while I burn something down. So they can help, at least for me. But I would love to see them get better.
    Going by landscape content, everything with the class is fine - but that's like saying an college engineering student passed the kindergarten level level math exam.

The same can be said about most grouping content, the herald doesn't get hit enough (or is a part of the swarm of herbalists in a skirmish) so that's not a good judge of how durable it is either.

Take the herald out to the 'Moors, and you will see it melt when fighting creeps. Compare this to the hatching, and you will know exactly how bad it really is.

As others have said there's nothing REALLY wrong with the Captain class, DPS lacks but we get to heal and buff so it sort of evens out. maybe give us another AoE damage skill, we can easily work on DPS problem if you could make the Skill animations/Attack Durations a little less, we swing sooo slow with a 2H.

Captains that tanks, I don't know why they try, but when I mess around with it I notice that a lot of mobs will resist our Threatening Shout and that it also lacks Targets for the AoE shout, maybe make it 6 ALL the time take away the trait add maybe while using Threatening Shout you gain + Finesse or -Cry resist along with +5%B/P/E.

as for the "Legendary Traits" maybe change
    In Defence of Middle Earth: +5-10% Outgoing Damage to Fellowship, +200-350 In Combat Power/Morale Regen, and -5% Incoming Damage. (may be a little too OP but work around with those suggestions)

Oathbreaker's Shame: change it to +40% Incoming Damage along with a Critical Rating buff of +1,000 to Fellowship members, Increase or decrease the Cool Down depends if you find it Too OP

Shield of the Dunedian: this either needs longer duration or a bigger -% incoming damage with a shorter Cool Down (like the War Leaders Field Promotion -90% Income dmg) or, make it -35% incoming damage with +1,000 Morale to Fellowship Members for 15s (make it like an opposite of Oath Breaker's Shame)

Also the heralds defiantly need some rework like other's have said they lack unless fully traited, they're OKAY when fully traited but they need a boost of morael, boost in damage, boost in armour, boost in mits.

Everything I've mentioned could be considered a little too OP but these are LEGENDARY TRAITS if they are too OP just work with some of those suggestions.

Good Luck and Congrats on the Job.

Going by landscape content, everything with the class is fine - but that's like saying an college engineering student passed the kindergarten level level math exam.
    But I wasn't talking about landscape content - which is so easy and boring these days I don't really even consider it part of my game anymore. I was talking about when I solo 85 instances. My herald helps me out quite a bit when I do stuff like that.

I wasn't talking about moors either. In my opinion going to the moors solo is the same as suicide, especially on Captain. Herald helps squat there, I agree.

But I wasn't talking about landscape content - which is so easy and boring these days I don't really even consider it part of my game anymore. I was talking about when I solo 85 instances. My herald helps me out quite a bit when I do stuff like that.
    Solo instances are (laregly) considered part of the landscape content, and all of the 85 instances I've seen are stupidly easy to - Hytbold crafting instances included. The only thing that is remotely challenging PvE are the T2 and T3 skirms - but even those are more a case of make a soldier that doesn't die and hide behind it (Protector) or roll a soldier that makes sure YOU don't die (Herbalist) and grind through them - provided your gear doesn't suck.

Truth is, there is no challenging solo PvE content in this game.

I wasn't talking about moors either. In my opinion going to the moors solo is the same as suicide, especially on Captain. Herald helps squat there, I agree.
    There are plenty of skilled soloers out there, even the rare few captain soloers.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Mar 17 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Solo instances are (laregly) considered part of the landscape content, and all of the 85 instances I've seen are stupidly easy to - Hytbold crafting instances included. The only thing that is remotely challenging PvE are the T2 and T3 skirms - but even those are more a case of make a soldier that doesn't die and hide behind it (Protector) or roll a soldier that makes sure YOU don't die (Herbalist) and grind through them - provided your gear doesn't suck.

Truth is, there is no challenging solo PvE content in this game.

There are plenty of skilled soloers out there, even the rare few captain soloers.
    Doesn't matter how skilled someone is when you get jumped 5+ vs 1 you are going to die, which is 99% of the case, at least on my server.

And I think a lot of the instances - even on tier1 - are challenging to solo, at least for me. Warg pens tier1 for example is far more difficult for me to solo than tier3 skirmishes. And even the Library and School - which I can usually solo without much problem - still provide me with enough challenge that they are both fun and interesting. I'm not a fan of frustrating content that is so hard I die a lot.

And I wasn't talking about the hytbold or crafting instances. When I said instances what I meant was dungeons you start in the instance panel. And the herald helps me in those. Sorry if I wasn't more clear about that. I think the hytbold dailies are so easy they are boring - so we agree about that.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Mar 17 2013 at 11:51 PM.

I would like Captains to be able to summon another player next to them into the instance they are currently running because it is quite annoying to spend several minutes waiting for someone to catch up with the fellowship (especially in long instances like the Rift, Barad Guldur, Dâr Narbugud, Glacier Fortress, HoC etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thruili View Post
    I would like Captains to be able to summon another player next to them into the instance they are currently running because it is quite annoying to spend several minutes waiting for someone to catch up with the fellowship (especially in long instances like the Rift, Barad Guldur, Dâr Narbugud, Glacier Fortress, HoC etc.)
    I like this idea. It would also help our summon ability to become more important to the class, since it took a pretty big hit on usefulness when they added instance panels that let players instantly warp to about any dungeon of their choosing from almost anywhere on the map.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Mar 18 2013 at 01:12 PM.

And I think a lot of the instances - even on tier1 - are challenging to solo, at least for me. Warg pens tier1 for example is far more difficult for me to solo than tier3 skirmishes. And even the Library and School - which I can usually solo without much problem - still provide me with enough challenge that they are both fun and interesting. I'm not a fan of frustrating content that is so hard I die a lot.

And I wasn't talking about the hytbold or crafting instances. When I said instances what I meant was dungeons you start in the instance panel. And the herald helps me in those. Sorry if I wasn't more clear about that. I think the hytbold dailies are so easy they are boring - so we agree about that.
    But the problem with this: you're doing content intended for group play solo. This is the kind of stuff people do for bragging rights, not something that should be taken into consideration when trying to revamp a class. Should this "off the rails" style of gameplay be taken into consideration when trying to revamp the class, it's going to grossly OP the captain class since the class will be revamped to be the equivalent other classes, and that's not something I would like to see.

This is also why I am largely ignoring the epic soloing style of gameplay. Yes, they exist, however, there are far fewer people that play that way than the number of people who generally play the class as intended, and whatever happens, the epic soloers are going to figure out a way to keep epically soloing.

But the problem with this: you're doing content intended for group play solo. This is the kind of stuff people do for bragging rights, not something that should be taken into consideration when trying to revamp a class. Should this "off the rails" style of gameplay be taken into consideration when trying to revamp the class, it's going to grossly OP the captain class since the class will be revamped to be the equivalent other classes, and that's not something I would like to see.

This is also why I am largely ignoring the epic soloing style of gameplay. Yes, they exist, however, there are far fewer people that play that way than the number of people who generally play the class as intended, and whatever happens, the epic soloers are going to figure out a way to keep epically soloing.
    I don't do them for bragging rights. I do them when I can't find a group and I want to try my luck for a teal or gold item I want.

The post you responded to I wrote about heralds was in response to how they can be useful when soloing harder content. Most "solo-specific" content on this game is so easy banners aren't needed either, so I'm not understanding your point. I was simply answering an earlier comment about heralds being worthless, because I don't believe they are. And I was giving examples of times I find them of use.

I also would like to see them get buffs, and I do agree there needs to be changes and hopefully heralds are part of the class revamp. I thought I said that, but I"ll say it again in case you are misunderstanding my intent. My only point was heralds are not useless in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Mar 18 2013 at 03:03 PM.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. I would most certainly stick to solo content. If it was actually difficult. There may not be many that are of like mind to me, but I absolutely hate easy gameplay. There's no point in the game at all to me if there's no challenge. If Turbine isn't going to make solo-designed content difficult, then of course I'm going to do whatever I can to make it so.

Since LOTRO has become more casual-friendly and accommodating to less experienced players, I'm sure that they are well aware that their small group content is going to be doable by skilled solo players. Just because they design an instance for three players doesn't necessarily mean they think that one or two shouldn't be able to do it.

I definitely agree though that the class should not be designed to be able to do these things, but of course they're not going to do that. Neither do I expect that they will nerf the class for everyone just because a few people are skilled enough to reach the maximum potential. The skill behind it, after all, is not so much related to the actual class mechanics, but rather the player's technique: their ability to react quickly and strategize effectively.
    BREGLOR · BRIFFO · ELIZA · APEY · RIFFO
    THE TEAM · GLADDEN

Greetings my fellow Captains!

I am still learning the finer points of Captaining so my suggestions here might seem uber newbish my apologies in advance My Captain (Tormjolnir) shares "main" duties with my Champion (Tornwyn). I can't pick between them so I play both as often as I can.

1) Allow us to "brother" our banners. Heralds are a pain and make me sad. They agro too much (even in passive mode) and don't provide anywhere near enough utility or use beyond allowing us to use our "brother" skills. So for those of us who prefer not to use heralds just allow us to "brother" our banners.

2) Stop gear gating the best gear and set bonuses behind PVP. Some of us prefer not to PVP but to get the best banner and set bonus (20% defeat response cool down) we have to PVP. PVP makes me sad. No the 65 Helegrod set doesn't count because to use it you are giving up far too much armour and far too many primary stats.

Solution: Give guild tailors and or Eastement tailors recipes that would allow us to make banners equal to the PVP ones. Allow non PVPers to purchase equal set bonus armour at the classic or heavy skirm vendor. And or how about giving guild metalsmiths multi output armour recipes that we can make ourselves and letting us choose the set bonuses we want.

3) Show me the hammer love! I prefer a great hammer for my primary weapon and 1h hammers for my buff sticks. I don't get the 2% damage bonus of halbreds and or great swords and that makes me sad. Give me the option to finish a slayer deed of 300 or something to unlock damage bonuses for my weapon of choice. Or make it a class specific trait where I hit with my great hammer 1000 times I get the 2% damage bonus. Either way hammers deserve more respect! Same deal would be applicable to those Cappys who prefer great axes and or clubs. It is quite silly in this day and age that not all 2h weapons have the potential for the 2% damage bonus.

3b) On the continuing topic of 2h weapons, give crafters a way to pick the passive stats that go on 2h weapons. The randomness of passive 2h stats makes me sad. Use the relic systems as is. For example if you meld a might relic with a crit relic and a moral relic it would output a scroll that when applied to the 2h weapon would define the passive stats of set weapons (i.e. Crit, might and morale).

4) Make IDOME a passive skill obtainable at an early level and remove it as a legendary. Cappys are awesomsauce because we make our fellows better. Having to choose between IDOME and our other legendary skills makes me sad.

5) Our DPS makes me sad. But this is a topic that has been overstated. I don't expect my Cappy to be as good as my Champ in dps but red line Cappys should be on par with other classes who have DPS as a secondary role like OP guards or QK burgs. Currently a red line Cappy is not. Perhaps the solution would be adding some more specifically dps orientated legacies that could allow us to create a viable dps setup? Oathies cool down legacy anyone?

Overall I love the Cappy class. Some tweaks and tickles would make it even more awesomesauce!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Thruili View Post
    Touching on this point for a bit...

Back in the days before the chests autolooted, we used to have people bring in alts to get the gear, and this sped up the process - and I'm sure there are other cases where this has been exploited too. Turbine didn't like it, so they killed it.

Touching on this point for a bit...

Back in the days before the chests autolooted, we used to have people bring in alts to get the gear, and this sped up the process - and I'm sure there are other cases where this has been exploited too. Turbine didn't like it, so they killed it.
    That too, but they should not clutter our skill bars with lame skills to make up for something that should be part of the instance itself. Iorbars Peak has a sled that goes to the exit of the first boss area, Scuttledells has a door that pretty much goes to the end boss and Goblins Seat has a shortcut to the end boss.
    What they should do is to add similar shortcuts/teleports to the other large instances.

Make the crit buff fellowship-wide. 95% of players want crit anyway, and you can override it singly for the people who want the parry or, for whatever reason, the Buff of Shame.

A banner for tanking captains. A lot of posts have been made for the LoM line, but I haven't seen any mention of this. Currently the "ideal" banner requires a subscription and R8, which is not an option for every captain. Lock it behind the yellow capstone, similarly to how the oathbreaker archers are locked behind the red capstone.
    Passives on the banner would include: +5? 10?% perceived threat, +morale, -3% incoming damage, or +phys/tact mitigation.
    On use could be: 45s cooldown, 15s duration, large threat move with threat over time.

Revamp for Fighting Withdrawal. Captains don't need this for themselves, and they're supposed to order people around to change the flow of combat, so let this be usable on other players. Reduce the cooldown to 1 or 1.5 minutes, add a legacy to reduce cooldown even more, or reduce threat even more. Gives Captains something to do other than tossing out a battle res when a dps pulls aggro. It's interactive. Possibly even fun.

Slight change to Noble's Mark to not affect players with the parry buff active. This gives a potential reason for Captains to use it when not traited LoM, as it boosts the quickly shortening gap between a tank's threat and the dps going all out.
    Last edited by Moorgane; Mar 20 2013 at 02:45 AM.

It's late here, so my response will be brief:

1. Buffsticks. See rest of thread.

2. Tanking. See rest of thread.

3. Routing Cry. End game, this skill is pretty much useless unless traited. The damage is negligible, it has a ridiculous cooldown and it requires a defeat response. It's a nice idea and certainly makes sense, but should have some kind of utility without needing to trait for it.
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/28mns0o.jpg[/IMG]

Hello.

I read through some of the posts here and I'd like to add my wish to the pool.

#1. Shouts - Captain class is based on shouts, battle shout, war cry, rallying cry etc. The voice of this shouts is a horrible pain to ears, while Dwarfs have some words being spoken while shouting, Race of Men only has 'Aaaaa!' 'Weeeeee!' and so on. I have to set my combat sound volume on 5%. Please record some spoken voice shouts with next update. Examples: "Charge!" "Rally on my position!" "Keep fighting!" "For Middle-earth!" "Attack!".

I want to get rid off multiple legendary items dedicated for buffing, with every expansion it is annoying to upgrade them and invest far more time on LI than other classes have to.

Also a bit of more group healing would be nice, it is sometimes hard to heal spike damage on captain, though it used to be. These new instances are easy anyways and healing them on cappy is very easy.
    I'd like that yellow line (I know it will be changed into talent trees) would be more effective compared to LtC and HoH.
    [Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin]
    Member of Puliveivarit
    I was a corner survivor

RockX is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.
    It's definitely nice to see a common trend of what appears to be areas which could use some loving.
    I agree Heralds could use some lifting up, and the Leader of Men line needs some attention. The buffstick issue is another one of interest.

Note these are in no way the ONLY things I would take a look at. I'm just saying I'm in agreement these are some issues of contention currently for the class.

Thanks for posting again, RockX! I'm looking forward to this revamp, and I can't wait to get even more info on it.

(I keep posting right after you. Folks are gonna start thinking I'm your sock puppet rather than just an obsessive forum-checker.)
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

RockX is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    Thanks for posting again, RockX! I'm looking forward to this revamp, and I can't wait to get even more info on it.

(I keep posting right after you. Folks are gonna start thinking I'm your sock puppet rather than just an obsessive forum-checker.)
    Now all I can think of is Lamb Chop. Thanks. (Kudos to those who get the reference)

Thank you for the reponse. Rockx.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by RockX View Post
    Now all I can think of is Lamb Chop. Thanks. (Kudos to those who get the reference)
    Lamb Chop has been described as a "6-year-old girl, very intuitive and very feisty, a combination of obstinacy and vulnerability...you know how they say fools rush in where wise men fear to go? Well, Lamb Chop would rush in, then scream for help."

Sounds like Tim alright :-D
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast