Hopefully this is the dawn of a new day of dev<>community interaction for the burglar class
I don't think i can condense everything into 3 points, but I'll try to be as to-the-point as possible.
I'll be clear from the start that i have 2 endgame burgs as my mains. One is QK traited. One is Gambler traited. Both stick to their specialisations for all content. (If Turbine would sell me an 18th character slot, I'd totally roll a MM burglar to complete the set, even if it wasn't revamped and rather unviable :P)
Mischief Maker Traitline / Confound
I think everyone can pretty much agree that it's the weakest of the three traitlines by far. Not only that, but more importantly it doesn't really have it's own signature compared to QK's straight-up DPS and "From Stealth" gameplay, or Gambler's Gambles.
QK & Gambler are both quite solid both in terms of concept and mechanics, but MM really does need a rethink.
One of the ideas I had in the RoR beta was with regards to buffing one of our least used skills - Confound. Not just to buff it to the point where it was viable to use, but also modifying how it worked to give the burglar greater control over how it worked. Personally, I feel that it could be incorporated into the design of improving the Mischief Maker traitline.
I'll quote my post for reference. Of course, I'm not expecting you to implement this as-is, or even at all, But if it gives you food for thought for your evil machinations, then it's all good
NB: Keep in mind this quote was written in RoR beta, and Confound did see some sublte modifications at that time.
The Alleged "Survivability" Issues
Originally Posted by Brya
Sorry brothers and sisters but I have to disagree with you here. If you're gonna go all out on Agility and build like a glass cannon, don't complain when you get cracked. This is why Hunters have such a QQ reputation when it comes to them moaning about survivability.
We're Melee. We're in the thick of it. We therefore need to build appropraitely for it. Mitigations, Vitality, the works. And if you do, the Burglar really isn't as squishy as you believe. Factor in avoidable scenarios which come with an awareness of boss mechanics and tactics (eg, the AoE from 1st boss in Roots of Fangorn), and all our "Oh ****!" buttons....Yeah. We really don't have it bad at all.
I'll be honest, i don't really PvP at all on any class anymore, and i suspect survivability to be more of an issue for the moors, rahter than solo or group based PvE.
That said, there's still room for potential quality of life improvements on the issue (eg Knives out improved to affect all incoming damage sources)
Quality of Life Improvement Ideas
- Flashing Blades - The Animation and "recovery time" at the end of the skill is crazy. Make it execute faster, preferably with a new animation to just go with a 2-strike "shing shing" animation (Champ imagery not intended) and its done. None of this flailing around of daggers for 5 seconds, forcing us to use Addle to cut short the animation. Please.
- Knives Out - An Improved version to work for Tactical/Ranged attacks. Especially since this is usally where the big hits come from in raids.
- Clever Retort - As others have noted, it would be nice if the numbers on the damage/restoration components were buffed a little, and/or the cooldown of the skill was reduced.
- Fellowship Manuevers - I know it's someone on the devs agenda to look at towards the end of the year, but These are one of the signature things for the burglar class. With the numbers on the damage/restorations these things doing being significantly less than if you just DPS'ed or healed through the same period of time, these are (with the exception of Draigoch) being relegated to being just another "Oh ****!" skill to stop a dangerous mob in its tracks for a few seconds, or as another tool in the box for dealing with Adaptaion Mobs. Not to mention the number of bosses that are completely immune to them these days. Which as a side-effect makes "Escape clause" useless in many boss fights...
- Well-Placed Strike - It's better to just DPS rather than wait for this induction to go off. And even then, it had to be done "in position" to be even remotely worth the effort. The Draigoch set bonus reducing the induction time for this made it much more viable. Buff the damage considerably (make it worthy of its long cd) and reduce or remove the induction.
- Exposed Throat - Is already in a fairly decent state. Maybe a new legacy to give us extra choice on ous LI's, buffing the proc chance by 10% or so? (More is welcome, but probably OP)
- Confound - See Above
- Quite a Snag - is pretty aweful compared to the other two traitlines signature skills (Improved Feint Attack and Gambler's Strike). Needs some TLC.
- Ready & Able - With so many skills (for all classes) seeing significantly reduced cooldowns, can we get the same for this? Maybe down to 15m default, -5m with legacies or something? Not fun waiting for cooldowns.
- Stick & Move - Rather underwhelming for a legendary trait. Stick and Move wasn't too bad in the old days, But with so much stats these days (crit in particular), we don't need this skill to also open up our crit chain on an evade. The passive stat bonus is weak, and a Legendary skill ought to be more legendary than just applying some passive stats. We like to call those "Virtues" instead.
- Trip / Sweep the Leg - Again, rather underwhelming for a legendary trait. -40s off Trip cd is effectively a legacy. And not breaking stealth? We're pretty much only in stealth solo anyway. Trip is only used one of three ways: 1) As a QK burglar, after Improved Feint Attack (who is thus the only Burglar who can always reliably invoke the skill at will). 2) After using HiPS in-combat to force us into stealth (Sorry: But we're holding that ace card up our sleeves for more important things). 3) Entering stealth out-of-combat, and tripping something as the opening move. While removing the stealth requirement would indeed make it a duplicate of exploit opening, the base mechanics of the skill could be improved to make it more accessible to Gamble/MM Burgs, and the legendary trait either needs a major overhaul, or replaced with something else entirely.
- A Proper Ranged Pull Skill - Instead of (or in addition to) having thrown consumables, give us a "proper" ranged skill for the purpose of pulling. Riddle doesn't agro the mobs friends anymore, Enrage just about works for solo but isn't really made for this purpose. Captains have their shouts, Guardians and champions have the "Let Fly" bow skill. Give us a 30m ranged skill to throw a dagger to bother some mobs. Make sure it does a reasonable amount of damage too. If you REALLY wanted to overboard with this, instead of making it live the regular throwing hatchet, make it like the serrated knives, and a ranged corruption removal.
[SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
[color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]