We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Ancient Silver In Eregion at almost 60/40 pick up rate!

I recently decided it was time to level up both my armour-smith and weapon-smith (crafts)as they have both been sitting on tier 3 for well over a year due to the fact I didn't have a high enough level prospector to collect their mats. The two characters are only just in their 30's and I have been concentrating on other characters. One of the characters I have levelled is a Explorer and has recently capped thus providing me with the means to collect the required mats to level my ore hungry crafters. Doing both craft vocations at the same time has its benefits and I have over the past few days zoomed the two of them to Westfold (tier7) However during my expeditions for ore, mainly while in Eregion looking to stock up on a few hundred chunks of Ancient Iron I found that the rate between Ancient Iron and Ancient Silver wasn't its normal 3/1 ratio and was actually more like 60/40 on the ancient silver's side! Having already maxed out all my prospectors and my Jeweller is also maxed I have no need for Ancient Silver and I am sure you can imagine my frustration at finding so many Ancient Silver nodes. At first I thought this was due to other players who have been to the area before me and just taking all the Ancient Iron and not touching the silver therefore before long this would account for the ratio but this wasn't the case as I harvested all ore in my path and spent hours in the area constantly farming the ore only finding that the Ancient Silver I mined re-spawned as ..yup ancient silver! has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I'd be interested to hear. Also I am going on the advice of a kinsman who when I first started to play LOTRO explained that the precious metal would spawn at one out of every three available nodes, is this correct? I have no reason to doubt my kinsman but would like to know if he is just guessing or it is in fact the case.

I think that the spawn ratios of ore nodes are adjusted from time to time without notice. Back when my first prospector started out it was quite hard to find enough tin to go with the copper for t1 bronze-making (which was ok because at least the leftover copper could be used by jewellers), whereas now my baby alts have tin coming out their ears and barely any copper in sight. I also remember blithely selling all my t3 gold ingots, since at the time I was only interested in iron, and by the time I had a jeweller of my own the spawn rate of gold had plummeted. So your friend's estimate of one in three may well have been right at the time but may since have changed.

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine these things go in cycles; maybe jewellers (and therefore the precious metals) are more in demand kinda in between expansions, when a lot of folks are at cap and have their end-game armour and are tweaking their build, whereas metalsmiths are needed when an exp is released and there's new armour to be made on the way to the new cap. So maybe the devs adjust spawn rates to try to meet or balance demand?

Smile Many thanks !

Thanks for the insight. I had my suspicions that things did change from time to time. I decided to go back to Eregion yesterday and low and behold the ratio seemed to be allot more ballanced. Thank you once again

The gold/rich iron ratio in Evendim, Noth Downs and the Lonelands is shockingly kind to jewelers right now as well.

Adastria's cycle theory sounds great except I can NEVER remember a prior time when leveling a jeweler through tier 3 wasn't a huge pain. Gold ore usually fetches as much or more on the AH than platinum or ancient silver. Curiously Rich Iron ore usually fetches less than Dwarf Iron or Ancient Iron ore. I can't substantiate these market quotes but I've spent a great deal of time with multiple characters supplying crafting mats for auction.

I believe the current precious metal boom is a new and unique occurance.

Also, I cold swear that in the Emyn Naer region of Eregion, Khazad tin used to be much more common than Khazd copper, but now the situation seems to be reversed (more like the plain old tin-to-copper ratios in low-level areas). I wouldn't swear to it since I haven't made an effort to keep tabs, but that's my perception.

I agree that Khazad-tin used to be much more common than Khazad-copper roughly a year ago, now it's pretty much 50:50 I'd say. At least in moria my toon currently usually has almost equal amounts in his inventory, my jeweler "back then" got excited with every copper.
    And that's a good thing, because no one needs more tin than copper, bronze is 1:1 tin/copper and jewellers only use pure copper. So any profession had leftover tin.

As for Ancient Silver vs. Ancient Iron, I don't really remember how rare silver used to be, but they may have made the supposedly rare metals a bit abundant lately. Jewellers still can make a good portion of their crafting XP by polishing gems after all. Just shouldn't be much easier to grind mobs for gems rather than searching some ore.