We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Hobbit(book, not movie)

I just finished The Hobbit for maybe the millionth time over the past decades.

One quote by Tolkien that I love is “His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted.”

I know that The Hobbit is basically a children's story but damn, if he didn't have a really talented way of describing things.

Everyone here talks about LOTR but no one really talks about the book that started it all. What do you good people think of The Hobbit?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I first read The Hobbit in 1975, I was about 11 years old and I had picked it up out of desperation while spending the night in a hospital waiting room. I read the entire book in one session (which was a big accomplishment for me when I was 11) - I was enchanted... scratch that. I had been Faerie'd.

I didn't know what hit me - but I knew I was hit. And my life took a different direction that night.

I instantly cast aside all my boyhood childish games and notions and turned all my attention to the serious business of fantasy and sci-fi literature and devoured everything i could get my hands on, from Treasure Island to Dune, Sherlock Holmes to John Carter.

During these years I tried and failed to read The Silmarillion several times and had a lot of difficulty getting all the way through with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I read and re-read the Hobbit over and over again.

Something about its simplicity, its wit, its charm that is somehow familiar - yet contains the absurd in its scope.

Around 14, I expanded my boundaries to include D&D and after a few years of striving for more and more realism and immersion, I turned back to the professors other works and re-discovered them for their deserved merits. But no matter how heady and high-browed our campaigns got, at the core of our adventures was that comical, jolly, pretentious, nonsensical, whimsical element that is exemplified in The Hobbit.

And there is its value for me - it touched me at a core level that is beyond my analysis or critique of the style and structure of the work as literature - but deep down it awakened and amuses the sleeper - the child - the whimsy and it effects the way I view the world and the way I go about life... and even though there is a dragon at the end of it all - I am less fearful , because laughter,delight and wonder is common fare on the journey.

I think it is a perfect book among all JRRTs other works, and probably his most important book, though not for its own sake... but for the sake of the rest of his work - it is a hook I can hang my coat on.

The boundary between our world and the world of Arda - It's where mortal fools become Faerie'd and enters the green country.
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

Smile

Just last night, before going to sleep, I read and reread that part and got astonished once again That, and the recurring "quite quietly" have been amongst my all time hits in the Hobbit.

As I mentioned elsewhere at this forum, when I finally got to reading Tolkien, I was for some reasons in a state of not being able to read anything anymore. Like many others I began from the Hobbit and went on, and at least once a year I reread the whole 'basic cycle' so to speak, ie. The Hobbit, The LotR, and the Silmarillion. I'm presently on my third cycle within the period of roughly a year, and about to arrive at the climactic Battle of Five Armies.

Every time I read the cycle and the rest of the material, I discover or learn or realize or am taught... something new. Each time I delve into reading and thinking about it I am stricken by a new shimmer of deep, deep and deep wisdom. I'm an addict and a proud one to be

The Hobbit was, and has always remained, the keyhole; the gateway; the "doorstep" into the lore, while never restrained to such kind of a functionalistic restriction. In a sense it's like a summary of all that there is and maybe even some that there would be, had the circumstances been more favourable for one of the greatest writers of all times, to have it his way...
    Last edited by Urwendil; Feb 22 2013 at 06:33 PM.

I was rereading the Hobbit recently for the first time in years and was genuinely moved by Thorin's last words:
    :
    "Farewell, good thief," he said. "I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you, and I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate. There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!""

Beautiful.
    "If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be kept secret to keep them so."

Awww, I love the Hobbit. Certainly find it easier to get myself to read through it than the LOTR or the Silmarillion. (One day Silmarillion... One day I will finish you. I swear!) =( Bugger... Now I really want to read it again. I don't have time for this! Too many things!

I often find myself grinning like an idiot or yelling at the characters and scolding them when I read it.

"Wow Thorin... Wow. You're a &&&&&&. You know that? A really big &&&&&&. You just got their town burnt to the ground. You think you could spare a little gold. Aw, hey! Be nice to Bilbo! >: ( Thoriiiin. Share with Bard. Do I have to pull this book over?"

"Thranduil... Thranduil be nice. Be nice, Thranduil! Hey! HEY! What did I tell you about being nice!? What happened!? .... Oh hey, you're being nice now.... Too bad he's dead. *Sigh* We need to work on this. At least you built Lake Town some new houses. So we're getting there. .... Would it not be horribly ironic if you were arachnophobic?"

"Oh god, spiders. Kill it! KILL IT BILBO! OMG KILLITKILLITKILLIT! Oooooh Bilbo. You're so silly. Uh... Bilbo... Get away from the dragon. BILBO. It's going to eat you! RUN MAN! RUUUUN! Oh snap Bilbo. Thorin's gonna be pissed when he finds out what you did."

My cat thinks I am very odd. Or she did. Now I think she's just used to all my shouting and flailing when I read/play games.

"OMG THAT SPIDER IS AS BIG AS MY HORSE! I NEED A BIGGER SHOE!"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000007e167/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Felardris View Post
    Awww, I love the Hobbit. Certainly find it easier to get myself to read through it than the LOTR or the Silmarillion. (One day Silmarillion... One day I will finish you. I swear!) =( Bugger... Now I really want to read it again. I don't have time for this! Too many things!

I often find myself grinning like an idiot or yelling at the characters and scolding them when I read it.

"Wow Thorin... Wow. You're a &&&&&&. You know that? A really big &&&&&&. You just got their town burnt to the ground. You think you could spare a little gold. Aw, hey! Be nice to Bilbo! >: ( Thoriiiin. Share with Bard. Do I have to pull this book over?"

"Thranduil... Thranduil be nice. Be nice, Thranduil! Hey! HEY! What did I tell you about being nice!? What happened!? .... Oh hey, you're being nice now.... Too bad he's dead. *Sigh* We need to work on this. At least you built Lake Town some new houses. So we're getting there. .... Would it not be horribly ironic if you were arachnophobic?"

"Oh god, spiders. Kill it! KILL IT BILBO! OMG KILLITKILLITKILLIT! Oooooh Bilbo. You're so silly. Uh... Bilbo... Get away from the dragon. BILBO. It's going to eat you! RUN MAN! RUUUUN! Oh snap Bilbo. Thorin's gonna be pissed when he finds out what you did."

My cat thinks I am very odd. Or she did. Now I think she's just used to all my shouting and flailing when I read/play games.

"OMG THAT SPIDER IS AS BIG AS MY HORSE! I NEED A BIGGER SHOE!"
    Hahahahhahah!! Oh dear me, I have a friend like that and just like when I watch her read a book or play a game, I find myself convulsing in fits of laughter at your hilarious post.

Both this thread and all of Tolkien's books make me think of one of the greatest and mysterious things in our world, how simple little words on a simple little page or screen can envoke such emotion and conection, empathy and engagement with their readers, not only during the reading but afterwards as well...
    How they can leave a lasting impression and cast an entirely new impression upon re-reading. How certain event and stories take on new meaning as new things happen in our lives, how the story grow with us, within us....

And to quote the great Alan Rickman:
    "It is an ancient need to be told stories. But the story needs a great storyteller..."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003e4fd/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I loved The Hobbit, or There and Back Again. From there the sequence went Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, then Unfinished Tales, then all of the rest I could get my hands on. I am missing Pictures, the Letters, and The Road Goes On and On or was it The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (from ca 1960).
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.