We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Classes for each race based on the books

I first played this game a few years ago, and after seeing the Hobbit got back into it. Trying to choose a race and class, combined with rereading the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, got me thinking about the most suitable classes for each race. I don't intend to start any old arguments about certain classes, just to find out what classes the books support. My thoughts so far:

Hobbit:

Burglar - based on Bilbo of course, also the statement in the Hobbit that hobbits are excellent at moving silently, love riddle games etc.
    Minstrel - rereading the Fellowship of the Ring, the hobbits place a lot of importance on songs and music to keep their spirits up.

You could argue Warden, based on the Bounders of the Shire, but there are only 12 of these in the whole Shire.

Elf:

Minstrel - I'm thinking of the Elves described in the Hobbit, who always seem to be singing and having fun. That's their depiction in this story of course, but still.
    Loremaster - based mainly on Elrond of Rivendell, with reading runes, commanding the water at the Ford of Bruinen, that kind of thing.
    Hunter - based mainly on Legolas.
    Warden - I understand this is based on Haldir of Lorien.

Man:

Burglar - based on Grima Wormtongue mainly, sneaking around, stealing people's items. Also people such as Bill Ferny.
    Captain - Eomer, Faramir - the men of Middle Earth clearly value leadership and inspiration. Also Aragorn himself of course.
    Champion - mainly thinking of Boromir here, who emphasises combat and battle.
    Hunter - based on the Rangers, also Faramir's company who attack the Southrons. Also possibly the men of Dale, as Brand himself was an excellent archer.

Dwarf:

Guardian - the dwarvish characteristics of toughness and defiance seem to support this, as well as Gimli taking up a shield at the Battle of Helm's Deep.
    Champion - based on Gimli, also the Hobbits of Thorin's company whose first thought when Bilbo discovers the gap in Smaug's armour is how best to fight him and kill him.

I'm certainly not a (Tolkien) lore master myself so please let me know your thoughts and corrections.
    Last edited by Southron; Feb 20 2013 at 01:55 PM.
    "If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be kept secret to keep them so."

Of course, you can’t neatly fit each character from the books into the confined box of a game class type, but I think it is a fun discussion and your list is fairly good. A couple of comments I would make:

Wardens – I don’t think there is a good example of a warden in the lore. The character sounds plausible for a ranger or for some elves, but don’t think there are specific examples. Nothing is mentioned in LOTR of Haldir’s weapons or fighting style, just his title as a Marchwarden of Lorien. Gil Galad is also often mentioned, but just because he used a spear doesn’t make him a warden, as other classes can equip spears.

Elf Champions – You didn’t include champs for elves, but I think you can find examples such as Glorfindel (his fury drove the Ringwraiths into the Bruinen) or Gil Galad (it was said none could stand before his spear) or Feanur (his rage towards Morgoth was well known and he was a great warrior) or Fingolfin (angrily demanded a one-on-one battle with Morgoth and managed to permanently wound him).

Man Guardians – I think a good case can also be made that Boromir was a Guardian instead of a Champ, as he carried a shield, and protected Merry and Pippin by grabbing aggro from a lot of orcs!

Man Minstrel – of course the minstrel has been stretched quite a bit for LOTRO gameplay, but an example of some minstrels who were men are those who sang for the Captains of the West in Ithilien after their victory at the Gates of Mordor.

There was also an interesting article done on the CSTM blog on this topic. It is a good read, the bit about Merry kicking off a FM made me laugh!
    http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2011...acter-classes/
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

It'd be interesting to divide this further - would Men of Bree really have Captains/ Champions the same way that Men of Gondor/ Rohan would? The men of Bree aren't described much but they certainly don't seem to see combat much, mainly just described as rustic sorts who don't leave the area.
    "If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be kept secret to keep them so."

Hey!

Hey.

You forgot the Elf and Dwarf Rune-keepers.

[I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago someone made a thread on this subject. A blue name(it was the blue name lore expert that used to post all the time, I forget his name) posted and said that Aragorn was this class, Boromir was that class, and so on down the line. When he got to Frodo he typed "Frodo=wimp". I remember that to this day.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Southron View Post
    It'd be interesting to divide this further - would Men of Bree really have Captains/ Champions the same way that Men of Gondor/ Rohan would? The men of Bree aren't described much but they certainly don't seem to see combat much, mainly just described as rustic sorts who don't leave the area.
    No, they wouldn't. They'd unknowingly had the Rangers looking out for them for centuries so just like the Shire-hobbits, they hadn't had to mount any sort of serious ongoing defence of their lands. So yes, thoroughly rustic village folk and the game's version is way off the mark. The game's Bree is your typical MMO hub, instead.

Can't believe I forgot Men Guardians - not only Boromir but also Eowyn, standing guard over Theoden.