We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Player - Looking For Advice

I'm thinking about coming back to LOTRO, been gone a long time. Before I start playing again, can anyone give me suggestions on what stats to stack, trait-lines to use, and virtues to grind? I want to level my character and play a lot of PvMP, so any tips to help build a character designed for that would be great.

Also, does anyone know if it's still viable to sit in camo somewhere in the Ettenmoors, and ambush solo creeps? Not sure anymore because I know their health balloons as expansions are put out and I have no idea what kind of damage hunters are putting out.

Thanks in advance!

Dont go to the moors unless you have full audacity, chants, oil, traps and a hell of a lot of luck. If you dont have audacity already just get ready to suffer for 3 weeks. Working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    I'm thinking about coming back to LOTRO, been gone a long time. Before I start playing again, can anyone give me suggestions on what stats to stack, trait-lines to use, and virtues to grind? I want to level my character and play a lot of PvMP, so any tips to help build a character designed for that would be great.

Also, does anyone know if it's still viable to sit in camo somewhere in the Ettenmoors, and ambush solo creeps? Not sure anymore because I know their health balloons as expansions are put out and I have no idea what kind of damage hunters are putting out.

Thanks in advance!
    dont waste your time. PVMP Hunter is dead and gone. You essentially need your own baby-sitting healer (or a raid) to live more than 20 seconds outside of 1 shots. Your DPS tickles creeps and they tend to giggle when you cammogank them.

Cammogank went with RoR. creep morale pools and defenses have improved beyond "cammo gank" ability. Essentially when you run out of focus in cammo gank, you run out of DPS. Its almost impossible to take down a mid ranked creep fast enough and even harder to find one that is not grouped with some other class than can kill you before you can kill the other guy.

and yea, you need full sets of the-best-of-everything and every consumable in the game to be able to even TRY fighting 1/2 of the creep classes (the other half you will never beat If they are mid ranked)

edit:
    I see you are lvl 66... Knock out everything you ever knew about the moors from back then. Those were the good old days. This is now. Now we are not just warg chew toys, we are everyone's favorite sweet and don't expect to live or kill anything solo and don't expect to live long without perma-heals in raid.
    Last edited by Lendas; Feb 19 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendas View Post
    dont waste your time. PVMP Hunter is dead and gone. You essentially need your own baby-sitting healer (or a raid) to live more than 20 seconds outside of 1 shots. Your DPS tickles creeps and they tend to giggle when you cammogank them.

Cammogank went with RoR. creep morale pools and defenses have improved beyond "cammo gank" ability. Essentially when you run out of focus in cammo gank, you run out of DPS. Its almost impossible to take down a mid ranked creep fast enough and even harder to find one that is not grouped with some other class than can kill you before you can kill the other guy.

and yea, you need full sets of the-best-of-everything and every consumable in the game to be able to even TRY fighting 1/2 of the creep classes (the other half you will never beat If they are mid ranked)

edit:
    I see you are lvl 66... Knock out everything you ever knew about the moors from back then. Those were the good old days. This is now. Now we are not just warg chew toys, we are everyone's favorite sweet and don't expect to live or kill anything solo and don't expect to live long without perma-heals in raid.
    If you cannot take down mid ranked creep solo on hunter, then you really need to learn how to play your class. Once full audacity and a decently geared hunter, it's not so tough. I don't know you, but seriously, learn to play the class if you really beleive what you have written.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakah View Post
    If you cannot take down mid ranked creep solo on hunter, then you really need to learn how to play your class. Once full audacity and a decently geared hunter, it's not so tough. I don't know you, but seriously, learn to play the class if you really beleive what you have written.
    may I ask if you have a lvl 85 moors Hunter with full audacity and decent gear that has TRIED to take down a R6+ creep with full (on rank) passives and.... I dont know... maybe 1-3 store skills and the first 6 ranks of audacity served to them for 300 comms a pop?

didn't think so.

Have you TRIED ganking that r8+ spider (as they all seem to be these days) and watched them hit their 100% reflect and laugh as they watch your last shot crit you for 1.2k and then proceed to rip your face off and heal themselves and then Hit burrow if things go south and they get nice heals?

didn't think so.

Have you TRIED ganking a warg (after alerting them to your presence with tracks and getting yourself tracked of course) watching him hit HIPS (3min cooldown now BTW) and then poping right back behind you and shredding for 1k claws (BTW they get 6 new crit corruptions with U10!!!) and ripping you to pieces as you try to get your debuffed inductions or few penshots off, and having him pot stuns and sprint if slowed?

didn't think so.

Have you TRIED Killing a BA who now pieces 10-40% of your Armour and can hit I-WIN MT + uruk heal whenever they please? How about with their hinderspaming on the move kills and insta-death-to-Hunter at 20% health skill?

didn't think so.

Have you TRIED killing a defiler/WL and just watch them LOS and heal or smack you with some banners and jump up and down as you try to DPS their uber mits and self heals?

didn't think so.

Have you seen the above situations and actually seen a creep WITHOUT a group with them?

didn't think so.

Hello there!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    Before I start playing again, can anyone give me suggestions on what stats to stack, trait-lines to use, and virtues to grind?
    For virtues: zeal, valour, fidelity, tolerance, honour are the most popularly used. Just make sure you get Morale and tactical mitigation as your primary focus. Hunters are really squishy this expansion.

Precision Set seems to work best for me. But some people like to mix it up and use 3/3 of sets.

I think class traiting is a personal preference. Many hunters will go straight DPS, others will mix Bowmaster and Huntsman. Just pick the ones you feel are needed the most. But don't trait for CC... doesn't seem to be worth the sacrifice.

Legendary Traits... I like to run Bow of Righteousness. Rain of Thorns. and the third one is really up to you. Pick your favorite.

It's still possible.

I really disregard what is being said in the comments above, to be honest. The Hunter is hard to play, but if played well it can be viable solo, in 1v1 scenarios. It's very hard. Infact, the challenging aspect of it is what really makes it so fun. If you start out while it's still hard, you'll be forced to learn the class.

Have fun
    Last edited by Graycient; Feb 20 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendas View Post

edit:
    I guess I'll have to adapt my strategy then, thank you for all of the tips. I guarantee I am going to miss the old 'moors.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    Hello there!

For virtues: zeal, valour, fidelity, tolerance, honour are the most popularly used. Just make sure you get Morale and tactical mitigation as your primary focus. Hunters are really squishy this expansion.

Precision Set seems to work best for me. But some people like to mix it up and use 3/3 of sets.

I think class traiting is a personal preference. Many hunters will go straight DPS, others will mix Bowmaster and Huntsman. Just pick the ones you feel are needed the most. But don't trait for CC... doesn't seem to be worth the sacrifice.

Legendary Traits... I like to run Bow of Righteousness. Rain of Thorns. and the third one is really up to you. Pick your favorite.

It's still possible.

I really disregard what is being said in the comments above, to be honest. The Hunter is hard to play, but if played well it can be viable solo, in 1v1 scenarios. It's very hard. Infact, the challenging aspect of it is what really makes it so fun. If you start out while it's still hard, you'll be forced to learn the class.

Have fun
    Thank you very much for providing a glimmer of hope to me that the hunter can still be used effectively in the 'moors. Thank you for all of the information you gave me as well, I gotta get grindin'!

For everyone else that replied to the thread, thank you very much!