We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Sad State of Pets

tl;dr Keeper of Animals trait line sucks. Our Pets suck.

Lore-Master pets are in a position now of being almost completely useless.

The DPS pets do is no longer noticable, maxing about 30 dps in a long fight compared to the Lore-Master's own 1,000-2,000 dps.
    Not to mention that most of our pets still do Common damage while the rest of the game has moved beyond this. The eagle's icpr buff is weak, especially with the upcoming buff to icpr. The legendary bog lurker does barely more damage than the eagle, and any benefit of it being ranged is nullified since it continually runs to melee range instead of attacking from range. The implementation of our new pets has been weak. The Sabre-Tooth does weak damage, and the healing pet's cooldowns are too long to be useful.

Even when traited full KOA, the damage of the pets does not increase much. The trade off for traiting this line is to lose most of our dps and debuffing capabilities, and to gain meager amounts of healing the ability to summon a useless pet, and 5% dmg for the pet.

This needs to change.

The Creep class of the Weaver also has a pet, and theirs has much more utility and damage. Their pet gives them an 8k heal, does 500 (acid) damage per hit compared to our 42 (or 94 with eagle/bog) (common) damage per hit, and actually attacks from range when traited for a ranged pet. The revamp done to the weavers pet system needs to be done to the Lore-Master. The Keeper Of Animals line should be a viable support line, and the pets should be a part of this.

The base damage of the pets should be increased, and the damage type should be changed on the pets.

The Pet line would not be hard to make viable. There should be Scaling bonuses to traiting more into the pet line, along with major buffs to the Signs of the Wild. The damage should be at the least on par with the weavers, if not greater than the weavers. The legendary trait should be revamped. It should grant much more damage to the pet, and much more survivability. is could also grant more heals to the Lore-Master, since this is our support line. The The bog lurker should not be attached to a trait, and should be a normal skill. Inner Flame should be buffed, since even with the trait and the legacy it is not useful due to missing Water-lore and Beacon of Hope heals.

Noble Savage also could use a buff. The 1%, 5%, and 10% buffs are not legendary, and they do not make the pets noticably better. The skill Combat Summoning could be attached to this trait.

Each pet could also grant a fellowship wide buff, as the raven and eagle do. The Lynx would grant a +melee damage buff, sabre tooth +aoe damage, bog lurker +ranged damage, etc. These buffs could be increased as the player traits more into this line, or could be increased if the legendary is traited.

On an unrelated note, Power Of Knowledge was buffed with a new skill in Rohan, and was recently bumped down to the pre-buff amount of power regeneration. The skill should be as it is default, and the Lore-Master should get a new skill (perhaps a pet related skill) in place of this upgrade that was not an upgrade.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Rengah; Feb 17 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Re: Weaver Pet vs LM Pet

There's no real comparison here. If you want to have as good pet damage as the weaver, they'll need to be able to come up to the spike aoe level of an LM.

Weaver's pet are much more needed for dps, because they themselves don't have as much dps without them. So, unless you want Ents/ISG/Lightning nerfed into oblivion, I suggest you leave that part alone.

As for the rest, I'm not at cap yet, so I can't comment on the rest....
    "All of us have left someone behind. That is why we brave the darkness. We fight so they may see the dawn."

I can remember that when I first traited KoA which was at lvl +- 57 when I got the bog lurker, it wasnt actually soo bad. Thing is the pets dmg does not scale properly, which is a very common problem in this game. Many skills, many mobs etc doesnt scale properly at all... they should really do something about it. Pets of LM are heavily affected by this. They need to be scaled properly to be atleast as viable as at lvl 50-60 + need some additional boost to have at least some potential to end-game.
    Lets see the situation with Pets:

Bear: only bears dps is scaled somehow, he can do up to 250 DPS at lvl 85. That dps is IMO ok, though even with all the legacies and food and Inner-flame aggro transfer, KoA traited LM still steals aggro from him easily so Bears Challenge should also apply threat over time effect imo.
    Raven: almost no dps, but Raven has nice skills with low CDs so it is useful pet never the less. + The Mitigation buff is fine.
    Lynx: his auto-attacks dont scale properly, but the surprise strike does, so for landscape mobs its not so bad.
    Sabre-tooth cat: his AoE dps is the same as single-target dps of the Bear. But is also super squishy. Theres hardly any use for this pet.
    Spirit: 10% morale heal and flank on demand, nothing could be screwed by bad scaling here.
    Bog-Lurker: ranged critical buff is nice + kind off often flanks, but the DPS sucks sooo bad. I remember when I first used him somewhere in Moria: he had about 100 dps while I had 300, that seemed about right, on lvl 85 he does actually much lower dmg to on-lvl mobs than on lvl 60.. my god, this is a legendary pet! if any pet should have solid dps, its this one.
    Eagle: another pet which is very underwhelming to be considered legendary, Ive hardly ever slotted it.

I would love to see KoA as a viable build, where you would throw some minor dps,debuff,heal while the pet would tank&dmg the mobs. Even bear cant hold aggro from KoA LM.
    The traits like Noble Savage and Hardy Companion are useless as long as the abilities of Pets arent set right.

I would wish for more active interaction of LM and pet. I suggested in separate thread here, that KoA traits should lower the pet skills CDs so you could do them more often.
    Naius - Burglar of Withywindle
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uYwngjXZI[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Amdul View Post
    There's no real comparison here. If you want to have as good pet damage as the weaver, they'll need to be able to come up to the spike aoe level of an LM.

Weaver's pet are much more needed for dps, because they themselves don't have as much dps without them. So, unless you want Ents/ISG/Lightning nerfed into oblivion, I suggest you leave that part alone.

As for the rest, I'm not at cap yet, so I can't comment on the rest....
    I believe you misunderstood my original post. I did not say to give a major buff to the base value of the pets- besides a minor dps buff and a damage type change. This would mean that when the lore-master is traited fire, the pets would still be weak in comparison to the weavers.

What I proposed was a change to the Keeper of Animals trait line, so that as the player loses the damage (from traiting less in the fire line) and debuffing (from traiting less in debuffing line), they gain more utility and support ability with the pets.

In order for the Lore-Master to have good pets as I suggested, they would have to untrait the Ents and ISG traits from legendary, and trait the Pet legendaries.

This way, the Lore-Master's pet line is viable.

There is no way that by implementing what I posted that the Lore-Master could have good burst aoe dps, full time debuffs, and excellent pets. I was suggesting a better tradeoff.

Many parts of this game have not scaled up as the cap has increased, I've grown used to it (man-heal is worse than an 85 pot these days).

That said, allow me to switch views and see what my pet sees as I send it someplace, now that would be cool. Craban worked that way in Tolkien's works!!
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

Quote Originally Posted by GrinsgarCZ View Post
    so Bears Challenge should also apply threat over time effect imo.
    That might me useful.

I would prefer a forced taunt up to 3 targets.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000021e782/signature.png]Cortanaa[/charsig]

There are more enemies here than fleas on a Wargs' hide. ~ Farin

Quote Originally Posted by Branthil View Post
    That might me useful.

I would prefer a forced taunt up to 3 targets.
    Without some additional threat though, he would hold those 3 targets fur just a few seconds :/

I agree with the general gist of what you're saying. If traiting for KoA allowed me to properly trade off DPS to my pet then I wouldn't leave that line most likely.

That said, the bear and spirit pets are okay as is IMO. The former does quite respectable damage at higher levels, Common typing aside, and all his skills are at least practical to use. The spirit does decent healing, and the flank on demand can be invaluable.

The others though need some work in the scaling department, and the sabercat has been useless ever since you first get it. I'm hoping that in the upcoming class revamps pets get another look see. Bringing them to our level with RoR helped a bit, but they could do a whole lot more with them.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Rengah View Post
    tl;dr Keeper of Animals trait line sucks. Our Pets suck.

Lore-Master pets are in a position now of being almost completely useless.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think they are useless. I have healed Small Fellow and Fellow T2C on level content traited Blue. I have healded T1 Scaled Content (Helegrod) in KoA and have healed ToO T1 on level as only healer with Spirit Pet.

At 65 I tanked with my bear in a small fellow NCF T2C and StH T2C and held aggro. The Eagle and Raven were very useful in ToO T1+ either on Saruman or in making the most of Adaptation. I also solo'd Sword Halls on T1 at 65 with my bog lurker.

I use the bear when I do scaled BG on T2 to do pull and move fast through the in-between stages.

All that to say, I'd always love to see more to KoA. But in general, I think yellow line buffs are in more need of help than blue line. I probably trait full blue (even in groups) today than any other line. Moors I trait Red usually (unless I am just out for Renown in which case I'll trait a mix), and I'll go yellow if no other LM in a difficult raid, but I always have a pet out and the one I have out is always intentional for a pull and for a boss. I think it matters a great deal, and believe that things do not go as well when LMs use a miscalculated pet.

Do I think signs need work? Yes. But I think all SoP need help (and more so the LMs not the pet's). Do I think DPS needs work. Maybe, it depends. The eagle does decent DPS, so does bear, and the felines. Spirit pet btw does add a group advantage debuff (it adds a 5% miss chance of unlimited mobs in a 20m radius - it just doesn't show the effect on mobs).

Here's a guide I made for LMs in our kin on pets:

TheInklingsKin.com

forgive the image cut/paste quality. Was just trying to do it as quick as possible.
    Last edited by JTollers; Feb 18 2013 at 09:27 PM.
    TheInklingsKin.com

You speak about a lot of lvl 65 content... maybe it was still fine back then. But try to solo trash in IP with KoA traited, I tried sabre tooth cat to tank the first bunch of mobs - 2 dourhands and a snow cat... the pet had about 150 dps and went down soo quickly that i had to do all heals - I overaggroed 2 mobs by just heal aggro. I used inner flame which helped, but meanwhile saber cat got around 3K hit and died because of deficiency of heals... so meh saber cat isnt fine at all... maybe its not supposed to be tanking pet, but then it should at least have solid dps.

I tried again with Bear - I perma-dazed 2 targets and Bear dpsed and tanked 1. Still I had to do Inner flame twice (with reseting its cooldown), and my dps was limited to 3 DoT otherwise there would be no chance Bear would hold the aggro...

Blue line from my point of view is supposed to be that super-safe soloing line, but for trash in IP, It was just so easier to trait 4 red 3 yellow and root kite the mobs. I didnt basicly get any dmg and it was much faster.

I simply cant imagine doing Warg Pens or Sword Halls with Pet now on-lvl. I did Warg-Pens as a healer, yes, but 5Y2B is just more efficient build to heal there, just for the better dmg reduction. healed it with Lurker too, but you loose a lot of dmg reduction, which flank heals hardly compensate. But yeah, Bog-Lurker could at least do DPS meanwhile, which was 37, thats just great)

Quote Originally Posted by JTollers View Post
    I don't think they are useless. I have healed Small Fellow and Fellow T2C on level content traited Blue. I have healded T1 Scaled Content (Helegrod) in KoA and have healed ToO T1 on level as only healer with Spirit Pet.

At 65 I tanked with my bear in a small fellow NCF T2C and StH T2C and held aggro. The Eagle and Raven were very useful in ToO T1+ either on Saruman or in making the most of Adaptation. I also solo'd Sword Halls on T1 at 65 with my bog lurker.

I use the bear when I do scaled BG on T2 to do pull and move fast through the in-between stages.

All that to say, I'd always love to see more to KoA. But in general, I think yellow line buffs are in more need of help than blue line. I probably trait full blue (even in groups) today than any other line. Moors I trait Red usually (unless I am just out for Renown in which case I'll trait a mix), and I'll go yellow if no other LM in a difficult raid, but I always have a pet out and the one I have out is always intentional for a pull and for a boss. I think it matters a great deal, and believe that things do not go as well when LMs use a miscalculated pet.

Do I think signs need work? Yes. But I think all SoP need help (and more so the LMs not the pet's). Do I think DPS needs work. Maybe, it depends. The eagle does decent DPS, so does bear, and the felines. Spirit pet btw does add a group advantage debuff (it adds a 5% miss chance of unlimited mobs in a 20m radius - it just doesn't show the effect on mobs).
    The stats that you show are outdated, although I believe that they are where the pets should be. The lynx and sabre cat do about the same amount of dps- around 30. The raven does approx. 20 dps. The Eagle does 40 dps, and the Bear does 70-80 dps. The only pet that scaled was the bear, and the rest do next to no dps.

I am not disputing that a lore-master can full heal some instances, although it is not because of the KOA line. By traiting 3 traits into the line (Healer, Light of Hope, Improved Flanking) I can get the same amount of healing as a lore-master full traited KOA. Also, the bonuses from traiting further into the line do no major helping to the healing skills besides a few minor boosts to inner flame. A lore-master would contribute more to the group by traiting 2 or 3 into koa for healing and the rest debuffing, even if the role of the lore-master is healer.

The spirit pet does not do enough healing to constitute summoning it. With improved flanking, the Raven or the Eagle would flank enough to heal the tank more than the spirit pet does. The spirit pet's buff is a good start, although I suggest that the buff should be corresponding to what the pet was made to do. The spirit pet should have a buff to incoming healing, which would better fit the job of the pet.

I typed out a long long response to this, but the forums bugged out on me and didn't let me post.

Here's the gist of what I said:
    1. Giving pets proper DPS through KoA traits would be cool, but would be putting too many eggs in one basket.
    2. Pets don't exist for DPS or for tanking, in group content they usually contribute just by being there and by occasionally using their skills.
    3. Raven, Bear, Eagle and Spirit of Nature are all hugely useful.
    4. Raven has powerful debuffs and an amazing aura.
    5. Bear has a snap taunt which can give the tank up to 10s to recuperate and +10% to melee and ranged damage for the entire raid.
    6. Eagle has a 15s fear and saves the group having to rez the LM once. Also handy for picking up group after a wipe without having to deal with dread.
    7. Spirit of Nature has a debuffing miss chance aura and a healing mark.
    8. Yes, KoA needs some work, but pets are far from useless.
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/28mns0o.jpg[/IMG]

I agree that the pets need work. However, I don't think they are quite as bad as some people think. All the pets are "fine", just some are less "fine".

I think the greatest weakness here is that no one needs a Blue traited, or pet traited, LM. I think tweaks should be made so that a Blue traited LM is actually attractive, and even sought after for group content.

To wit, here are some changes I have suggested before for the LM's pets:

1) Pets receive a damage bonus based on will: something like "Animal Mastery: pet damage is increased by 40.3%". This would fix the issue with scaling pet damage rather easily.

2) Improved Flanking: when equipped, flank heals also heal the pet companion.

3) Inner-Flame: Induction of 4 seconds which adds a 30 second buff to you and your pet companion, giving one healing "pulse" every other second. (This has been suggested so many times by so many LMs, I almost feel foolish mentioning it :P)

4) Two new LI legacies: "Sign of Wild: Protection - Block rating (increases block rating by up to what Parry Rating is at)" & "Sign of the Wild: Rage - Skill CD (reduces CD by up to 20%)"

5) Make "Nature's Friend" a normal legendary, and make "Noble Savage" the capstone; also, tie combat summoning to the "Noble Savage" trait

6) Individual Pet Tweaks:

- Raven: "Distraction" reduces damage by 40-50% (ranged or melee), and accuracy by 10%. (To give this pet more utility in CC)

- Lynx: "Savage Bleed" scales with damage (So it's, ya'know, savage)

- Sabrecat: "Throat Slash" is used by the AI against flanked targets automatically. (Basically, make the AI smarter, so that the pet will use this skill whenever it is advantageous)

- Eagle: "Sacrifice" now a passive buff that procs automatically. Replaced with an AoE attack "Dust Cloud": weak damage and 5% to miss debuff. (A weak "Gust of Wind)

- Lurker: "Angry Bees" a passive effect with an internal cooldown of 10s. Replace the skill with a ranged/melee toggle. (The Guardian is great, but it is severely limited by the discrepancy between the ranged flank rate and melee flank rate, as well as ranged damage and melee damage. This would allow for greater control and so greater utility of this pet.)

7) Finally, to make LMs more attractive in group content, and to allow great potential for our pets, the trait "Noble Savage" now grants the following bonuses to each pet.
    - Raven: Benediction of the Raven reduces tactical mitigation by 10%; affects 3 targets
    - Bear: Shatter Arms duration increased to 60s
    - Lynx: whenever the Lynx scores a critical hit all her cooldowns are reduced by 5s
    - Sabre Cat: whenever the Lynx scores a critical hit, a "chilled" debuff lasting 10s is applied to the target.
    - Eagle: Nobility bonus increased by 100%
    - Lurker: Root Strike gives +5% Incoming Critical Chance (not just ranged)
    - Spirit Pet: All Cooldowns reduced by 15s

84, 100 dps is UBER ???

Please the pet damage is a shame -.- they need to be improved on every side !

First point is the speed ... all bird can be immune to some snare/root effect
    Bird can be more fast
    Same for the linx !

They need to be more quick on response when you start to attack ... too many time before your pet start to attack an enemy -.-
    They need a more better regen out of combat ...
    Need a better regen of power
    Need to change CD of skill
    Need to make better his job ! The bear is a tank pet ... he need more aggro !! And armor atm the bear can tank ... what ? nothing -.-
    The other pet are totally useless ! I remember when i switch a pet for a better debuff. If saber become a true aoe pet with a lighting debuff can become a good pet same for the linx if he can go in stealt in combat stun and debuff why skill with 3 target !??! -.-
    And more ...

I admitted that the line could use more buffs to pets and healing, but I also believe Yellow line needs more attention than blue.

The stats I show are not outdated and they are relative to the pet choices not to a main class. I am not suggesting things cannot use a bump especially relative to how DPS has gone up for other classes. Pet food btw does help. I am responding to the point that they are useless (and I would say Heal pet is in Top 3 - i healed all of ToO T1 using that pet in place of a healer and can hit close to 1800 HPS with it).

Finally, I mentioned all level content of which 65 was not the majority bunch. There are more 85 and level 75 raid (on level) examples I gave. I am happy to try IP on level solo, but I don't think where you can solo an on level instance or not is a sign of whether your pet is underpowered. Captains could make the same case for that...

Could they improve DPS or at least trait line buffs, sure (but many buffs are % based which is better than rank buffs) but I also think KoA has got a lot of attention over the last 2 years and AM line is more in need than any.

Do I think KoA is a bad line, no. I think the captstone is very good. I use this line more than any at the moment. And I get very different results going to 5-6 down that line than 3 (though those 3 listed above are the starters).

I am not suggesting devs shouldnt focus on this, I am suggesting they should focus on AM line more than anything and power skills since the U10 changes are announced.
    TheInklingsKin.com

I have also advocated for some time now that Pets should have by now learned a 4th skill each as well. There is room for utility there as well.
    TheInklingsKin.com

Generally agree with OP.

Also, If the forums log you out while you are typing in a post, don't touch _anything_ until you try this. Go to the upper right of your screen to the words "log in" or "log out" and right click and choose open in a new tab. Log into this new page and then click back on the original page and then right click and choose "refresh". It will probably ask you if you want to resend the content and just choose yes. (at least I think that's what I do... )

Quote Originally Posted by Geno-Max View Post
    I typed out a long long response to this, but the forums bugged out on me and didn't let me post.

Here's the gist of what I said:
    1. Giving pets proper DPS through KoA traits would be cool, but would be putting too many eggs in one basket.
    2. Pets don't exist for DPS or for tanking, in group content they usually contribute just by being there and by occasionally using their skills.
    3. Raven, Bear, Eagle and Spirit of Nature are all hugely useful.
    4. Raven has powerful debuffs and an amazing aura.
    5. Bear has a snap taunt which can give the tank up to 10s to recuperate and +10% to melee and ranged damage for the entire raid.
    6. Eagle has a 15s fear and saves the group having to rez the LM once. Also handy for picking up group after a wipe without having to deal with dread.
    7. Spirit of Nature has a debuffing miss chance aura and a healing mark.
    8. Yes, KoA needs some work, but pets are far from useless.
    1. KoA pets should be sturdier and more powerful, thats what you sacrifice your debuffing abilities and damage for.
    2. Thats exactly the Sad state of Pets we are talking about - occasional using of their skills can be done in any of the trait lines. KoA should offer something more.
    3. Raven is useful and Spirit are the most useful pets. Bear also, for the taunt sacrifice or incoming dmg buff. But Eagle is weak, weaker than Raven, weaker than Bear and Spirit... and its a legendary pet.
    4. Yes Raven is probably the best pet - cause its not originally supposed to be DPS pet - it does buff and debuff skills have low CDs - but then there are DPS pets which actually should do some proper DPS and yet they dont.
    5. Yes that is true, 10% incoming dmg is something which cant be scrwed by bad scaling. 10s of challenge is great but its often less cause bear gets killed during that time.

The current problem is pretty obvious - Pets work well as far you dont want them to do DPS or take some damage. Think about that all the Pets should be +- the same powerful. When it comes to using their skills, its fine - but truth to be told - they are supposed to do DPS too, and Bear should be actually tanking pet. KoA traits, legendary trait, legacies, food provides your pet with additional dps capability, survivability and increased threat. These bonuses suggest that there is possibility of a playstyle, when mobs attack pet, pet does dps and tank them and LM heals the pet. But if the base dmg is low, then few litle percentual bonuses wont make any difference and if the base dmg is low, then incrased threat bonuses have also only little impact. Either the base dmg should be increased or the KoA traits should be improved - giving pet +100% or +200% outgoing dmg and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinsgarCZ View Post
    3. Raven is useful and Spirit are the most useful pets. Bear also, for the taunt sacrifice or incoming dmg buff. But Eagle is weak, weaker than Raven, weaker than Bear and Spirit... and its a legendary pet.
    The Eagle isn't weak, probably not weaker than Bear or the dimlight. Highest flankrate (except lurker in meleerange), interrupt, rezz, fear.... I use him most of the time. It's a better healing pet than the dimlight in small fellowships and improves my damage while soloing more than the raven could. I can't stand MoNF and flanks/imp Staffstrike are important for my damage. Beakrend is useful to snap aggro on some mobs before starting an aoe-attack - while not having damaged other targets than my maintarget, the beak rend causes the rest of the enemies to attack the eagle and it's much easier to cast Lightningstorm.

Saying the Eagel is weak is... too easy. Sure the direct damage the Eagle does should scale properly, but the Eagle is anything else than weak.

Agree to an extent with the OP.

The last time I even thought about pet damage was sometime in '08, maybe '09 . It definitely plays no part in my pet use. It would be nice for it to scale better, but for me I guess it fits into the category of if you've never had it; you don't miss it.

Right now, pets are all about the skills and the flank rate for me. They definitely need a pass through the skills. Some are very nice still, but a large proportion have been reduced to irrelevance by time and bigger numbers elsewhere.

The biggest problem has got to be the KOA trait-line. Quite simply it is a mess, and if anything, recent changes have made it worse. It is trying to have 2 Foci, in pets and healing, and handles neither well. The traits themselves are often lackluster, and the pet based ones have a minor impact of the pets themselves. The bonuses are split between the two sides of the trait line, enhance weak skills, and are slanted towards pets (like the capstone). Ironically, most of the stronger traits are healing based, but there is no incentive to trait deep blue if you want to heal.

Anyway for my personal experience, Full KoA traited, with all buff and upgrade on pet, my Bog can give Less damage than me with ONLY auto attak ...

FAIL !

I`d prefer to get rid of MoNF traitline and get pet DPS traitline (with Noble Savage capstone) instead of it, leaving blue for healing. As I understand, the reason for MoNF being introduced was to adress slow leveling issue - strong pets with good damage could take care of it. And it would free our hands a little bit in damage spec to do some other stuff, like throwing a couple debuffs or mezzing an unwanted add.
    Besides, throwing FIRE at people doesn`t look like nature`s fury to me, while making a bear maul them to death certainly does.
    So leave big damaging spells to RKs - give us a sabertooth tiger worth his name!