We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Soloing difficult group content

How competent is LM at soloing harder group content solo? I understand the whole "if you can cc it, you can kill it" thing (especially having played a red mage in FFXI), but I hear some things later on are immune to cc. Does it become impossible later on?

I think in order to provide you an honest answer I need perspective, what do you mean "solo more difficult group content?".

I can solo stoneheight for runes and relics every day, but there is no "on-level" group content that I can solo, and that's the way it should be.

I haven't run into a single quest on landscape (or through the epic line) that I haven't been able to solo in about 3 years.

Maybe explain what you're asking a bit better, I can provide a better answer.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

In the old SoA days there was a LM named Shauna who was famous for soloing tough group content
    (you may still find his videos on youtube) these included killing Coldbear at lv 50 (when that was a lv 53 arch-nemesis boss in the 24 people Helegrod raid). Coldbear could be rooted but was immune to mezzes and stuns, it also came with waves of adds so it required a great deal of skill and patience.

With the current end game content I’d say it pretty much depends on the type of mobs you are facing, on the mechanics of the fight, whether you can cc, have enough space to kite etc. Ettens outposts are usually not a problem and I know of skilled LMs who can solo 3 man instances in t1 on level.
    In general, though, a LM has to deal with being a little squishier than most, with the obvious consequences that this involves. So soloing some tough group content is certainly possible but it requires skill and time and likely it won’t come as easy as it would be for other classes (like, for instance, wardens).

Below level solo'ing of group content is very do'able and awesome fun and challenging.

I can not speak so much for stuff more at level meant for group play.

At level 78 I was finally able to go back and solo all of Carn Dum and no matter what anyone may tell you for a first time through ever......that was very challenging.....people saying it's not that hard are most likely people who have a lot of experience with it.

To date for me I would say the most challenging group content I solo'ed was the Frithgeir small fellowship quest line from Zudrugund. I did these as level 79 on my LM and they were extremely challenging.....which threw me a bit because usually non instance areas are a bit easier...but make no mistake this place was pretty tough....of course I have come a long way since I actually started solo'ing group content.

As you do it for a while you will find LM's have a lot of tricks and techniques they can make use of.....swapping between RED, BLUE, and YELLOW depending on the situation helps too.

Food, potions, and tokens are of course invaluable.

I don't keep up with gear much and was not going to until I hit cap as I hate the amount of time needed to optimize gear whenever you can....so a lot of the stuff I am doing now is with gear up to 10-20 levels below what I could have......but then for right now I am finishing off lower level content and just milking the game.....the solo content at level doesn't require top end gear even...so I will fool around with that when I hit 85...until then I find the gear you get along the way is fine.

Now if they raise the cap again soon I will probably change my mind about this
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002111d5/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[QUOTE=vVAnjilaVv;6678365]Below level solo'ing of group content is very do'able and awesome fun and challenging.

Now, here's a noob question for you. As a guy who has 7 characters level 50+, I have never tried any group instances or small fellowship
    quests (except for ones that really shouldn't be rated as such).

Which ones should I do, and why? Are there any particular ones I should do for rewards, or is it just for the challenge.

I'm strictly a solo player, as my in-game social abilities leave much to be desired.

TIA.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001f51a2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[QUOTE=Illiniwek80;6678699]
    Quote Originally Posted by vVAnjilaVv View Post
    Below level solo'ing of group content is very do'able and awesome fun and challenging.

Now, here's a noob question for you. As a guy who has 7 characters level 50+, I have never tried any group instances or small fellowship

Which ones should I do, and why? Are there any particular ones I should do for rewards, or is it just for the challenge.

I'm strictly a solo player, as my in-game social abilities leave much to be desired.

TIA.
    Instances generally reward you via gold, items, armour, etc...

So the main reason (beside having fun) is to complete an instance (which also completes deeds) and open the chest at the end for the loot. These can be simple things from ixp runes, relics, to teal jewellery or even epic (yellow/orange) items...

If you are a solo player then you should definitely start out with 3mans and just test yourself. Via the Instance Join panel you can set the level of the instance down as much as you like and then slowly increase the level each time.

[QUOTE=UwS-Harledir;6678707]
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiniwek80 View Post

Instances generally reward you via gold, items, armour, etc...

So the main reason (beside having fun) is to complete an instance (which also completes deeds) and open the chest at the end for the loot. These can be simple things from ixp runes, relics, to teal jewellery or even epic (yellow/orange) items...

If you are a solo player then you should definitely start out with 3mans and just test yourself. Via the Instance Join panel you can set the level of the instance down as much as you like and then slowly increase the level each time.
    ^ This is good info.

Be aware also that these instances can be very long for the first few times.......if you don't have a good amount of time to put into.....I am talking like hours at a time.....it will take a while to get to know and master them.

Actually that is more so for Carn Dum and Urugarth.

The other ones are not as long but will still probably take multiple failures before you get down a winning tactic.

It's great fun tho......you will not be dissapointed in the challenge factor.......and instances aside from a few respawns here and there usually stay clear unless you leave them for I wanna say more than 5 minutes or open a different instance.

I usually mess with instances when I know I can sit back and play for a long while.....and of course if you really need help there are like a bazillion YouTube vids showing people solo'ing all kinds of bosses.....there is generally a ton of info for almost every place in the game.

I am adventurous tho and usually figure it out on my own unless I am stumped

About rewards....you get a bunch of stuff you can hand down to alt crafters....and you get some really cool stuff like Taxidermist turn-ins for housing decor.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002111d5/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

All very good info.

I have a level 85 LM who I think of as more of a "second main" to my Hunter than an alt. I love my LM! Lately I have been enjoying running solo through Stoneheight (level 65, 3-man) on Tier 2 Challenge Mode. I find it offers an almost perfect blend of challenge and do-ability for my gearing and skill level (both pretty good, but I'm not a hardcore raider). The rewards are great as I get a bunch of tier 4 relics and 15 or 16 50k IXP runes - plenty to level up trash LIs and crush them for more relics for my main staff & book

I run my LM traited red when doing this (yellow would be interesting too, but the big AoE DPS from redline just... works). The big warg pull in the middle is a challenge, and all three boss fights (especially the last) force me to pay attention, utilizing all sorts of skills inclluding anti-stun, debuffs, DPS, and healing skills. So any capped LMs who want to solo challenging group content might want to try it (I think T1 Stoneheight would be boring).

I can solo most of Carn Dum on my Hunter, but I tried killing Helchgam solo on him the other day and couldn't do it. Too many single-target, induction skills and not enough self-heals to get through all 3 phases of that fight. After three fails on my well-geared Hunter, I loaded my LM to see what difference it would make... and he breezed through it. I don't think the LM ever got below 50% - 60% morale. Debuffs + self-heals + BIG AoE DPS = win!

I like the idea of trying 3-man skirmishes or instances 10-20 levels below you (depending on your gear and skill) and then gradually raising the level to see how high you could successfully go. It will definitely make you use your class skills, which makes you a better all-around LM especially if you group with others later on.
    Last edited by Troutdude; Feb 21 2013 at 03:47 PM.

[QUOTE=Illiniwek80;6678699]
    Quote Originally Posted by vVAnjilaVv View Post

TIA.
    Why do group runs? It is a totally differnt type of game play. You get to run your LM in a new mode (such as AM traited), do way more than concentrate on DPS,DPS DPS. You get to heal, debuff, dps, support in a way that cannot be done solo.

CD and Uru are 2 excellant runs based on your stated levels to cut your teeth in. 6 man runs with light mob mechanics. If you are on Riddermark look me up and I can get a run going. Runs though with peeps that are strangers may not give you the best experience the first few times. Try to run with friends or a kin used to being together.

@OP.... Not too many runs after SoA IMO that can be soloed on level by a LM. As noted, Shauna destroyed full runs in the SoA days solo.... I think Turbine got a little miffed at him Definitly look up those videos to see an excellant LM in action. I can follow and understand what he does, not sure I am as skilled to pull it off though.

I am running a second Lm atm, level 40. My intent is to stay with in the limits of SoA (love the tortoise pocket item) capping at level 50. He will never see LIs, Moria, etc. SoA is still the best material Turbine ever produced IMO. I screwed up this past week and ended up with 4 orange mobs on me. Amazing what beiung experienced does for your confidence. Worked my CC and bear, kited a bit and after a long battle was the victor. On my mian back in the noob days I would have been mob lunch.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuaje View Post

Why do group runs? It is a totally differnt type of game play. You get to run your LM in a new mode (such as AM traited), do way more than concentrate on DPS,DPS DPS. You get to heal, debuff, dps, support in a way that cannot be done solo.

CD and Uru are 2 excellant runs based on your stated levels to cut your teeth in. 6 man runs with light mob mechanics. If you are on Riddermark look me up and I can get a run going. Runs though with peeps that are strangers may not give you the best experience the first few times. Try to run with friends or a kin used to being together.

@OP.... Not too many runs after SoA IMO that can be soloed on level by a LM. As noted, Shauna destroyed full runs in the SoA days solo.... I think Turbine got a little miffed at him Definitly look up those videos to see an excellant LM in action. I can follow and understand what he does, not sure I am as skilled to pull it off though.

I am running a second Lm atm, level 40. My intent is to stay with in the limits of SoA (love the tortoise pocket item) capping at level 50. He will never see LIs, Moria, etc. SoA is still the best material Turbine ever produced IMO. I screwed up this past week and ended up with 4 orange mobs on me. Amazing what beiung experienced does for your confidence. Worked my CC and bear, kited a bit and after a long battle was the victor. On my mian back in the noob days I would have been mob lunch.
    I really wish you guys would fix this quote you referred too....it makes it look like I am the one you are quoting when in fact Illiniwek80 forgot to put the "[/QUOTE]" at the end of what she/he was quoting from me so it kind of all meshed together LOL.

Reminds me of The Thing....nooooooooooooooooo

Was trying to my hand at soloing some 3-mans, and managed to get the last boss in Iorbar's Peak down to 20% health -- sadly, I was a wee bit too slow and didn't dodge the smash quick enough. Otherwise it wasn't a problem soloing the 3-man instance at 85, and with enough practice could do the last boss as well easily enough.
    [center]Brandywine - Kroandli - 85 Champion[/center]
    [center]Brandywine - Kroandar - 85 Loremaster[/center]
    [center]Brandywine - Kroandor - 85 Warden[/center]

I managed to solo a lot of content for groups.

Moria:
    -> Grand Stairs quest-mode and challenge mode with killing that little &&&&&&&
    -> that lvl 56-instance with the famous ring
    -> 16.

Angmar:
    -> Carn Dum full clear
    -> Urugarth full clear

Lvl 65:
    -> Warg Pens T1 or T2
    -> Swordhall T1
    -> Stoneheight T1 and T2 cm
    -> that Hobbit 3man T1
    -> Iorbar T2 cm
    -> Great Goblin T1

Lvl 75:
    -> School/Library
    -> Limklar Pre-quests and Limklar daylies

Lvl 85
    -> School up to Boss 1 (maybe I would make Boss 2 as well, just didn't try hard enough after 1st defeat)
    -> Library might actually be doable too. I would have to see about that.

It's not about CC though, but about AoE and self-heals. So keep up the water-lore and get the AoE doing its thing... For mainly the bosses will not be CC-able. And the smaller mobs don't deal enough damage than your waterlore can grant you healing. So you need damage and self-heal. And after that it's a question of wether boss X deals more damage or you can heal yourself more. Of course you can reduce boss-damage partially. And you can improve healing with your pet. Quickest way is a different one with each boss. Usually the Limrafn will do.
    Last edited by GithlithMonaghan; Feb 25 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Soloing tough content

Sword halls lvl85 T1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3El-gcK2Cc
    Dargnakh lvl75 T2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mn3CSKdKaA

Im planning on doing more. I'll keep u posted ^^

edit: Iorbar's Peak lvl85 T1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGZhHlV_cw

So its obvious LM can solo stuff. Maybe even more than he should^^ Thing is that LMs have a huge arsenal of skills needed for a proper support class. Combine them together though in a good manner and u get an all in one class. And still there are things to perfect for this class. like pets, our debuffs etc...
    Last edited by Pithrandir; Mar 05 2013 at 08:52 AM.