We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

So So overwhelmed o.o

Hey guys,
    I've been reading alot about flanking/pets/traits/skills.
    And my mind is just buzzing without actually understanding what it all means and does.
    What a good skillbar should look like.
    How to use pets to the best you can
    So I was wondering if a Lore-Master on WithyWindle would help Mentor and Guide this lost Lore-Master.
    I am currently level 27/28 and my IGN is Galastria.

I hope someone is willing to tutor/mentor and help me.

Yours, Galastria

When your pet flanks an enemy you will see pink arrow flash under the target and hear a chime noise, also the flank enemy will show the flank debuff under their health bar. A flank provides the lore master the opportunity to heal, do some additional damage or restore power. Using wizard's fire on a flanked enemy restores your morale, using staff strike does double damage and using staff sweep restores power.

The raven is a useful pet for dps as it has the highest flank rate of the non legendary, debuffs enemies fire mitigation, provides tactical mitigation buff to fellowship and can distract ranged enemies. The bear is a kind of tank it has a debuff that makes targets more vulnerable and a force taunt that makes enemies attack it rather than the player. At level 30 you can get the lynx this is excellent for levelling solo as it has a very damaging stealth attack that will hold aggro when it hits.

With respect to hotkey layout there is no standard setup. I bind the skills I use most often to numbers, pet commands, burning embers, cracked earth to low numbers, cc and melee to high numbers. Other skills are grouped by hotbar layer according to their effect debuffs, heals (including power sharing, back from the brink, cures and sign of power righteousness). Tip bind return to master to hotkey as out of combat it will heal your pet and restealth the lynx.

First off, don't feel overwhelmed! The LM can sound rather on the complex side, but if you take it bit by bit it's really very manageable

As was said above me, your quickslot/skillbar layout is something that you should have setup that works best for you. But if you're curious, I dug up a fairly recent screenshot I have of my LM's UI (I really snagged it for the idiocy of my bear, but I digress).

Personally, I always (without exception) have my pet on passive. Not to assist, guard, or anything else. For me, I like to have complete control over my pet, and because of this I keep skills and commands for my pets on my quickslot bar for ease of use (and to keep it rather clutter-free). Otherwise, I try to keep my skills grouped based on attack, debuff, buff, cc, etc. Starting with my most used skills in rotation and moving left to right based on overall use with my "oh sh**" skills occupying the far right side of my bars (so I don't bump them accidentally).

In regards to pets, you'll definitely want to use them to your advantage as you're leveling. The added dps is a great benefit until you can start standing up on your own and putting out shiny numbers. I'm not a personal fan of the bear, but I find him to be quite useful when I'm getting overwhelmed. Always send him in first and if you need to, allow the pet a few seconds to get a little aggro. The same can work with the lynx in terms of the dps it can put out. Raven is a good option as well, and honestly one of the most beneficial (and end-game appropriate) pets that we get, so don't think it's poor simply because it's what you started with!

Traits. These are important to consider. When I was leveling my LM and working through early levels, I found myself slotting a good mix of the Keeper of Animals (blue) and Master of Nature's Fury (red). Master of the Staff I find is a must in 99% of situations, another personal must-have while working on leveling I find is Hardy Companion. It allows your pet to withstand more of a beating, and therefore be more of a benefit to you in your leveling process. Flame of Arnor will be a good one to slot as well once you finish your class quest at level 30, as the majority of your skills are Fire-damage based and any increase to this is good in the long run. Harmony with Nature and Awareness of Body will be good ones to consider as well, as they allow you to focus less on how much morale you're expending when fighting (the latter is really not very necessary at later levels, your morale pool later on will really mitigate the morale costs), not to mention the decrease in induction times for your skills (faster they go off the better, after all!).

In the same vein as traits would be your virtues. As early levels, I'd try to slot what you can that ups your survivability. So virtues that afford you mitigation (physical and tactical - mainly the former for landscape mobs), more raw morale, and will are good options to consider.

Above all, don't be afraid to pause and read, investigate your tool tips, experiment and see what your skills do, etc. The down time currently is actually an excellent opportunity for you to check out the LM entry in the LotRO Wiki as well as browsing Casual Stroll to Mordor for some helpful articles and all around fun reads.

Hopefully some of this helps more than confusing tl;dr, lol. Well wishes! And Happy hunting!
    [center][color=#CC3300]Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel[/color] [color=#666699]· [i]Retired[/i][/color]
    [color=#993333]"I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."[/color][/center]

I have tried all the pets and flanking "stuff". Despite what many others have posted, the Lynx was and is my favorite pet; I use it in every situation with great success. Virtues; I always stack mitigations. Those are the easy ones, since you mostly get them for doing stuff you're going to do anyways, like questing. Traits, I go for maximizing companion damage giving and taking, to turn my Lynx into a wrecking ball. Later on, you'll get some great legendaries.

Nowadays, my main tactic is to send in my lynx, damage from a distance, then close in and mop up quick with Staff Sweep.
    Battles always go fast this way.

Some people like the eagle; I hate it. Waste of a good slot.

The bear is ok if you need to keep things off your back, as the lynx can often be fragile.
    The raven, I haven't had as great an experience with.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001f51a2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As I don't raid or group up with people I pretty much stick to my bear. He's always there for me and I don't recall that he has ever actually died from the first day I got him all they up to 85. I keep him on passive as I like to assign where he goes. Usually he's on one target, I'm on another and if there is any others around I keep em mezzed. I tend to do alot of solo skirmishes as well and he really shines when facing level 85 mobs. As a solo player I tend to stick to KoA as well. Better self healing and more buffs for the bear.

Of course if I decided to group play I would switch a few things around a bit but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiniwek80 View Post
    I have tried all the pets and flanking "stuff". Despite what many others have posted, the Lynx was and is my favorite pet; I use it in every situation with great success. Virtues; I always stack mitigations. Those are the easy ones, since you mostly get them for doing stuff you're going to do anyways, like questing. Traits, I go for maximizing companion damage giving and taking, to turn my Lynx into a wrecking ball. Later on, you'll get some great legendaries.

Nowadays, my main tactic is to send in my lynx, damage from a distance, then close in and mop up quick with Staff Sweep.
    Battles always go fast this way.

Some people like the eagle; I hate it. Waste of a good slot.

The bear is ok if you need to keep things off your back, as the lynx can often be fragile.
    The raven, I haven't had as great an experience with.
    Essentially this ^^

i was basically of this philosophy as well with a slight variation...

Use the Lynx because of it's AoE ability (it can pull aggro in a big hurry giving you time to set up and debuff).

Pull with a non-damaging debuff (fire lore on melee mobs) as they get close to you maneuver yourself to get the mobs grouped up, send your cat in with the two AoE skills on auto-fire, he will pull aggro, then start working your magic, start with your lower dps skills so the cat can keep aggro working your way up to things like ents and cracked earth.

In end game dailies on level and such, now I just nuke everything, I use the raven for flanks and tactical mit.

Ao, at lower levels you are squishier, you have to keep mobs off yourself, later on you have the mitigations and skills (like water lore and flanks) to deal with the punishment yourself.

And you always have a root in the bank of you need it PLUS cracked earth is a great root too, just kite until it takes hold, work one mob at a time... and ALWAYS tar before you pull groups of npc's.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r9 (active) Mini