We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Largest RP server ?

    Currently my old char is on the Brandywine server and want to switch em' over to an RP server. Not that I RP all the time but I find the player base to be a lot more mature and it's nice to have the option to RP.

    I'm just looking for the most active/highest pop rp server. If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated !

  2. #2
    Laurelin is the "official" RP server, and Landroval is the "un-official" RP server.

    I've only played Landroval, and it has a very nice population. Judging by the Laurelin section of the forums, it too has a very nice population. I don't think you can go wrong with either server.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    576
    I am the opposite having only ever really played on Laurelin. One of the biggest things which should influence you perhaps is the timezone you play in. If your from the US you might be best playing on Landroval unless you play at unusual hours. And if your from Europe you would be best suited to Laurelin.

    There are those who play both and have good things to say about both servers. The main difference other than the timezone difference is Laurelin has a more stricter naming culture which is enforced by Turbine. This is something the server gained when it was operated by Codemasters in the past.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    389
    Landroval covers a great amount of roleplayers from American, European, and Australian/New Zealand, as well as several UK'ers I know as well.

    There really isn't a time on the server where there are no role-players, raiders, etc on. You just can't look at Bree as the gauge for it.

    So to answer the basic question intended - Landroval is the most populated RP server across the board of timezones.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    529
    Laurelin is the only Official English-speaking RP server of LotRO (and roleplay is not enforced as some have falsely said in the past). It seems that little does the significance of that gets understood to full extent, depth and meaning here on the forums. Usually almost none takes the time to talk about this, yet I dont think blame can be put to anyone for it is as I deem, lack of experience and knowledge the main reason and thus much of what should be known comes not forward to be shared with others.
    (So after many times I have spent time for this subject I have been thinking to write a detailed lengthy text in a thread of its own so newcomers and old that are not aware can have the chance to read and become learned on this matter. I will do so as soon as I may and have the desired time for it as I see all the time that its needed.)

    As one who has long experience on both servers, much about their differences is known to me and what can be found on each of them. It is good to know and understand that Landroval is not a supported RP server therefore no extra rules and policy take place and action there and the results that come from that play a role. Important to many: it is not rare at all seeing silly names there out of space and theme such as 'Iruleeveryone', 'Sleepycow', 'Fishslapper' and the like.
    On Laurelin, it is scarce to have such words for names around and though there might be very few who will try, at least people have the option there to report it therefore soon a GM will change it to match a more within the spirit of Middle-earth name.

    Furthermore, this also needs to be told: on the Official RP servers if someone is harassing, threatening or in general giving someone a hard time because he/she roleplays then that can be reported as well and action will be taken that can even go as far as a block from the (Official) RP servers if those folk do not behave themselves and keep disturbing roleplayers.These are immense differences and should be taken into account ere choosing which server to settle. This is the Official Thread about the RP rules and policy (which I just explained to an extent above) from Turbine to read more about it if you want.

    As about the RP population, do not let yourselves be lulled with numbers and what may seem crowded for though the RE server from what I have seen has indeed a larger overall pop. the actual roleplayers are indeed less to a good extent when compared with the EN RP server. This may very well be due to the fact that Lan. was never an acknowledged Roleplay server and since the start many join there who just care not at all about the RP aspect of it (which in truth has some nonetheless) and moreso sometimes are rude as well to them and try to ruin events that are meant for the enjoyment of the rp crowd.
    Laur. on the other hand has always been a recognizable and supported roleplay server with the RP tag next to it in the server list which makes it clear for those interested and thus most that seek a RP community choose it. The realm was a EU server aforetime but for almost two years now Turbine has took over and Laurelin has been known to even more people and as is the only EN RP server with extra rules and policy (which I explained them well I believe above) a great many people have moved there from other servers (even entire kins) and others have come to it as new to the game and interested for RP thus there is already a healthy N/A community on Laurelin with quite a few kinships. This will always continue and it is clear to see the reason which I will not further explain that as well now as this is getting out of hand and my post becomes bulk; I will save much of what more I would say for a dedicated thread for all this subject for another time.

    Last but not least, the kind of roleplay that takes place in these two realms is different and one can easily see that from the forums of each server and their RP Webportals: Laurelin forum and Webportal & Landroval forum and Webportal. This also can be very significant for roleplayers and I encourage them to see for themselves ere deciding on the server of their choice. Especially those who have read (and those who havent but have a desire to learn) and loved the books and want to immerse themselves within a more fit setting and be among other (old and new) fans of Tolkien's world may not find both servers enough enjoyable for what they seek and one will offer more to their liking than the other.

    There is even more things that I would like to add but I will save them for another time as I said earlier on and this may have already been useful and helpful to many even though its incomplete. My thanks to those that had the patience to read all this!
    Last edited by ''Cris'''; Feb 16 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    This topic could use further discussion, Chris, I completely agree with you on that. I don't feel there is anything wrong with one having a strong connection with the server you play on for any reason whatsoever, but I do feel it is wrong to continually paint one server in a negative light. It's about being constructive vs destructive.

    This debate can even wade into light vs. heavy RP and getting enjoyment out of the lore and game from both perspectives. I spent years playing on text-based MUSH's, where you had to type out everything your character did. Whole scenes would be emoted in paragraph form and it is very enjoyable. However, this is a visual MMO. I've found you can get just as much immersion into the story using nothing but say and in game emotes (even more with customizing the in game emotes). So the idea that the quality of RP is lessened 'cause one doesn't type entire paragraphs out is false. However, that falls onto the player to control how they use their emotes and the actions they perform.

    So I humbly respect your opinion and ask that you respect the opinion of your fellow players, Tolkien fans, lore enthusiasts and humans, and if a thread gets started about the different styles of RP, how to immerse yourself in both types, and how both server can benefit from one another in a community effort to promote all forms of role-playing, then I am all for it and will be there to discuss in an open minded way how we can make both communities strong and come to respect each other in our difference of opinions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    746
    Speaking of being constructive, where has this notion that Landroval does not cater to serious RP come from?

    In near six years on the server I have never been at a loss for finding heavy/hardcore/para-style RP (or whatever else you want to call it) on our server. Not every roleplayer on Landroval is in a band or making music. For those that do, more power to you. I think it only helps make our community all that more vibrant and alluring. But one shouldn't be led to believe that events like Ales and Tales and Weatherstock are -all- we do. Landroval is and has always been home to serious, character-driven RP storytelling for a very large number of us, and that isn't going to change any time soon.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

  8. #8
    I think you touched on a big aspect right there, Krindus, the difference between the different RP styles. I have seen plenty of “heavy” RP on Landroval, and plenty of “light” RP.

    But I have a question on why “heavy” RP is considered to be more character-driven, and serious vs. lighter RP that relies on in game emotes and say?

    Both are tools available for progressing a story from one point to the next. While neither is the ultimate or best way to go about it. It is really subjective to how you view role-play. It's an idea that stems from to each their own, but does so in a way that doesn't put down or raise up one style above the other.

    I will give two examples starting with lighter RP first.

    Hobbit1 walks into The Prancing Pony (this isn't emoted, the player is physically moving their character into the Pony). Hobbit1 performs the emote /shiver and types /say Brr that rain gives me the chills. Hobbit1 then turns and looks around at the various patrons (again, this is a physical turn of the character not typed out). Spotting several men standing near the bar Hobbit1 walks over and performs the emote /wave, then /say Good day!

    NPC1 /emote bows. NPC1 /say Nasty weather, ain’t it?

    NPC2 /emote waves.

    NPC2 /say Can I buy you a drink little one? Will help you warm up.

    Now for the same scene in heavy RP, for this the characters all type out custom emotes using.

    Hobbit1 types /emote the Hobbit walks into the Prancing Pony out of the pouring rain. His entire body seems to shiver as he says, “Brr that rain gives me the chills.” He then proceeds to turn and look around the Prancing Pony before spotting several men standing near the bar. Making his way over over he waves at the men and says, “Good day!” (this of course would show up with the characters name at the front of the emote).

    NPC1 types /emote one of the men standing at the counter bows to the Hobbit. He says, “Nasty weather, ain't it?”

    NPC2 types /emote waves to the Hobbit and says, “May I buy you a drink little one? Will help you warm up.”

    So as I hope can be seen from this example, both light and heavy RP have the capabilities of progressing a story and remaining serious. I also understand I didn't go as in depth with my examples of heavy RP as I could have, you can add lots of nice touches to customized emotes, describing the tone of voice, accent, etc. At the same time the same can be done with the lighter-rp. One can use say and still type out the accent they're using, or even the language.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post
    But I have a question on why “heavy” RP is considered to be more character-driven, and serious vs. lighter RP that relies on in game emotes and say?
    I believe you have partly answered your own question. In my opinion, "light" versus "heavy" RP is not really dependent on how you choose to post, but rather the content that you're posting to. Things get too complicated when you classify the player as one, because people like different things, which is why I only try to focus on the RP when using such titles as "heavy" or "light". For example, I like to think that I do plenty of both "light" and "heavy" RPing, and often times my "light" RP has a tendency of turning into "heavy" RP over time.

    To be clear, I wouldn't consider someone a "light" RPer just because they are using in-game emotes and say. But standing around, chatting about the weather and listening to musicians is something I would consider "light" RP. That's because it's on the fly, nothing real serious, and doesn't offer all that much in itself to help a character develop. I will admit, though, that by the very nature of this sort of RP, the posts tend to come quicker, and therefore lack the length and detail of those long, flowery posts. By no means is this a bad thing - I can't stand waiting around 10 minutes for those long, flowery posts anyway.

    Now compare this to something I consider heavy RP. A character walks into his mead-hall in Rohan and demands the Thane be executed for treason. Maybe the Thane has tortured the character through some means. Perhaps the character is a victim of Saruman's lies. Whatever the case, there's a little bit more going on here than you'd find in "light" RP. It's serious, it's detailed, and its content of death, betrayal, corruption, etc is a bit more "heavy" than you typically find at an Ales or Tales or Weatherstock.

    This is the only distinction I was trying to make in my earlier post. As I wrote originally, one of the things that I enjoy about Landroval is the variety of RP and that those with different styles of RP can co-exist so peacefully together. But I think it is important to remind others of all the RP to be had when outsiders try to paint Landroval as a place that only harbors music lovers and light RP.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

  10. #10
    I believe Krindus' post is in response to the negative spin a certain individual is constantly placing on Landroval when comparing Landroval with Laurelin. It's been suggested that Landroval has less quality heavy RP and it's been implied that the style of writing out the RP is one factor.

    (The use of the word "you" in the following is the "general you", not anyone specific.)

    There have been claims that there are more RPers on Laurelin than Landroval. Unless you have real numbers drawn directly from Turbine, you can't say this as if it is fact.

    There have been claims that there is more serious RP on Laurelin than Landroval. Again, unless you've roleplayed on Landroval with every single roleplayer on the server and spent all your ingame time moving from place to place and observing every bit of roleplay (which would be creepy and a bit stalkerish.. ), this claim is also not a substantiated fact.

    There have been implications that there are no griefers at all on Laurelin and it's just "oh so perfect" and the ONLY real option for anyone serious about roleplaying. I've seen posts by folks from Laurelin complaining about griefing just as I have from those on Landroval. To claim that Turbine only deals with griefers on Laurelin is false. Landroval is also protected as is any server who has someone on it who breaks the ToS and CoC and is reported.

    I could go on, but, seriously, there's no need. Yes, the two servers are different. But such claims (which are, in truth, only opinions) only hurt the RP community as a whole and threaten to divide those who truly enjoy roleplaying in Tolkien's Middle Earth.

    Personally, I find those posts offensive and this is the first, and probably last, time I've actually posted to refute such claims.

    As you say, Druid, different styles (I'm referring mainly to emote/say based and emote/dialog based RP at the moment) do NOT indicate a difference in quality of RP. There can be character-driven, and serious, RP in all "styles".

    As for what I consider "heavy" and "light";

    For me, "light" means the player's character is "in character" only at certain times -- whether that be at a concert or only during RP scenes the person is a part of. This may or may not include during questing and such quests may or may not become part of the character's story.

    "Heavy", for me, means the player's character is "in character" all the time. This would, of course, mean during quests, raids, instances, landscape travels, etc.

    In both types of RP there can be character development, in my opinion. I'm also of the opinion that "light" and "heavy" refer to how closely one adheres to Tolkien's lore, though not exclusively that point. As far as lore is concerned, I would be considered a "heavy" RPer. However, quests are, for me, only a way to gain access to higher level areas in which to RP. So, using strictly that basis, I might be considered a "light" RPer. ::laughs::

    Placing tags like that, therefore, can mean many different things to many different people and, unfortunately, can be used to imply a sense of elitism where roleplayers are concerned. Therefore, I tend to not use such tags so that I don't inadvertantly offend. I also don't make unsubstantiated claims that might offend.

    Anytime anyone asks ME what the difference is between Landroval and Laurelin, I would only ever say "the timezones" and would gladly suggest to anyone whose play time fit better on Laurelin that they try Laurelin. Though, to be honest, I've been noticing (from posts) that more and more players from all timezones are RPing on both servers, so....::shrugs::

    ::whew:: I think that's one of my longest posts... ::laughs::

    So, as has been suggested already to the OP, I would also suggest to role an alt on both, check out the roleplay on both (and /not/ only at the Pony on either), check out the community on both and then make your decision based on your own observations and experiences.

    Thanks for reading my mini-novel...

    -Goldrush
    *******

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post
    I will give two examples starting with lighter RP first.

    Hobbit1 walks into The Prancing Pony (this isn't emoted, the player is physically moving their character into the Pony). Hobbit1 performs the emote /shiver and types /say Brr that rain gives me the chills. Hobbit1 then turns and looks around at the various patrons (again, this is a physical turn of the character not typed out). Spotting several men standing near the bar Hobbit1 walks over and performs the emote /wave, then /say Good day!

    Now for the same scene in heavy RP, for this the characters all type out custom emotes using.

    Hobbit1 types /emote the Hobbit walks into the Prancing Pony out of the pouring rain. His entire body seems to shiver as he says, “Brr that rain gives me the chills.” He then proceeds to turn and look around the Prancing Pony before spotting several men standing near the bar. Making his way over over he waves at the men and says, “Good day!” (this of course would show up with the characters name at the front of the emote).
    You've got your RP styles reversed. Heavy RPing means IC all the time. All that thought-broadcast emoting the Hobbit does in the first line of your supposed heavy RP example is totally OOC. There is no way another player's character could observe all that is related (e.g., that he spotted several men near the bar) by that thought-broadcast emote. There's no need to /emote that he makes his way over to the bar. He simply makes his way over to the bar. Spamming the /emote channel with thought-broadcasting does no one any good.

    This is how it would actually be in heavy RP:

    <Hobbit walks into the Prancing Pony>
    /shiver
    /say Brr that rain gives me the chills.
    <Hobbit walks up to the bar>
    /say Good day, to you, fellows!

    Weatherstock is not RP at all, because the players are not in the roles of their characters. What IC reason could there possibly be for a giant group of people to hike to the top of Weathertop and have a concert?
    Last edited by maxjenius; Feb 16 2013 at 11:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    You've got your RP styles reversed. Heavy RPing means IC all the time. All that thought-broadcast emoting the Hobbit does in the first line of your supposed heavy RP example is totally OOC. There is no way another player's character could observe all that is related (e.g., that he spotted several men near the bar) by that thought-broadcast emote. There's no need to /emote that he makes his way over to the bar. He simply makes his way over to the bar. Spamming the /emote channel with thought-broadcasting does no one any good.

    This is how it would actually be in heavy RP:

    <Hobbit walks into the Prancing Pony>
    /shiver
    /say Brr that rain gives me the chills.
    <Hobbit walks up to the bar>
    /say Good day, to you, fellows!

    Weatherstock is not RP at all, because the players are not in the roles of their characters. What IC reason could there possibly be for a giant group of people to hike to the top of Weathertop and have a concert?
    What the above poster said in their post is not "thought-broadcasting", as you put it. It puts the character's actions into context. Is the person just walking? Or are they walking as if they've just come in from the rain (as her example post indicated). It also indicates exactly who the person is addressing when he says "Good Day".

    This is not called "thought-broadcasting", it's called /writing/. As in a story about a character, who walked in to the Pony from a rainstorm and started chatting up people at the bar.

    Writing is heavy rp.
    Last edited by VeruccaSault; Feb 17 2013 at 02:33 AM.
    [CENTER][FONT=palatino linotype][FONT=century gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#afeeee]Rhetyn[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0066ff]Pheadra * Eadha[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#0033ff]Camrin * Reily * Finleigh[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#afeeee]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

  13. #13
    I agree with Verucca.

    If I see an emote like the following --

    /e steps into the Pony and lowers his head to watch the floor as he walks to the bar. Each step is accompanied by a squishing sound and leaves a wet footprint in his wake along with drops of water from his wet cloak.

    That, to me, is not a "thought-broadcasting" emote. It is simply meant to offer a description of something that can't be 'seen' ingame due to the lack of actual drops of water, "wet clothing", an emote for lowering your head as you walk or footprints. This would tell /me/ this person is soaked, most likely due to the storm outside. Or, if the sun is shining outside, would serve as a potential plot hook for me to ask what the heck happened to him.

    If, however, the emote read as follows --

    /e steps into the Pony and lowers his head to watch the floor as he walks to the bar. He avoids looking at anyone because he feels wary and guilty and a bit embarrassed due to having been shoved into the fountain by his friend after the two had an argument. He really didn't understand why his friend got so upset. After all, it was only a pie and, besides, who doesn't like pie?

    That, to me, /is/ a "thought-broadcasting" emote because it depends on everyone else somehow, telepathically, knowing what the man is feeling and why. It also completely ruins any chance or reason to /ask/ the man why he's wet and walking around with his head bowed. We've already been told why and asking would just mean repeating what he had emoted.

    Anyway, as I said before, "heavy" and "light" mean different things to different people. Hopefully, such differences can be overlooked for the sake of enjoyment of RP and not used as a tool to belittle or malign others'.

    -Goldrush
    *******
    Last edited by GoldrushSE; Feb 17 2013 at 01:17 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somewhere near the southern part of the US
    Posts
    57
    As a medium RPer myself (in character around others ooc when in an area solo), I have often looked for the best possible RP where ever I play. I have played on 4 different servers now, the first two role play was nearly non-existant. About a year and a half ago I went to Landroval and have 2 75s and a couple of 60s there that RPed quite frequently, I found the RP on Landroval to be decent in most areas though what I did see around the Pony was not my style most of the time.

    I left the game in december of 2011 for another game and played that game for over a year after many errors made by the company that operates it and the lack of quality RP and returned to LOTRO. My wife and I play together and she wanted to try another server, so we chose to give Laurelin a try. We've been back about a month now and I must say that their does indeed appear to be more "roaming" RP here than there was when I played on Landroval. To me it is exciting to see a group of people walking (even when on horseback) between Bree and the Lone Lands RPing as they go down the road, or even the other day when I rode my horse at break neck speed through thorins hall to get to the forges quickly before work and having someone "shake their head" at the recklessness at which I was riding.

    So without making judgements against ones preferred styles or what constitutes what kind of RP, my suggestion would be to roll on both servers and see which fits your particular play style.

    p.s. I play from Florida in the US during peak EST play times and I do see many people online on Laurelin.

    To the OP I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by VeruccaSault View Post
    What the above poster said in their post is not "thought-broadcasting", as you put it. It puts the character's actions into context. Is the person just walking? Or are they walking as if they've just come in from the rain (as her example post indicated).
    How do you walk a if you've just come out of the rain? Is your character dripping wet? Then after your character enters the Pony type "/em shakes water from his hat," or something similar. Another character might not know it's raining. "/em walks into the Pony, dripping wet from the rain" is in large part OOC (aside from the "dripping wet" part).

    It also indicates exactly who the person is addressing when he says "Good Day".
    There are ways to do that without /emote thought-broadcasting. "/em greets so-and-so" is not one of them.

    This is not called "thought-broadcasting", it's called /writing/. As in a story about a character, who walked in to the Pony from a rainstorm and started chatting up people at the bar.
    If I can't see it or it's not something my character could reasonably perceive, it's not RP, unless the person is RPing a telepath. There's no need for all that embellishment. It's not even good writing, let alone good RP. When you write, you show, you don't tell. That's the difference between "/em walks as if he's just come out of the rain" and "/em shakes water from his hat." Shaking water from a hat is something we all know what looks like. Walking like he just came out of the rain? Who knows what the looks like?

    Writing is heavy rp.
    No, IC all the time it heavy RP. RP is acting, writing is not acting, acting is not writing.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldrushSE View Post
    /e steps into the Pony and lowers his head to watch the floor as he walks to the bar. Each step is accompanied by a squishing sound and leaves a wet footprint in his wake along with drops of water from his wet cloak.
    The problem with stuff like this is that it spams the emote channel. But it is a far better example than the other one you wrote.
    Last edited by maxjenius; Feb 18 2013 at 10:15 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    The problem with stuff like this is that it spams the emote channel. But it is a far better example than the other one you wrote.
    First, the "other one" I wrote was, intentionally, a bad example, if you're referring to the "thoughts" being written in the emote.

    Unfortunately, given the limitations of what actions can be 'seen' ingame, some "embellishment" is necessary, as evidenced by your own example of /em shakes water from his hat. Our characters walk stiffly and stare straight ahead and never have wet clothes, can't eat or drink while seated, etc.

    So, if we react only to what we can "see", our RP could be very limited. Because, what we would "see" would be something akin to the following:

    The avatar of Bill materializes inside the Pony and walks to the bar, staring straight ahead the entire time. He turns toward the Hobbit next to him. (none of this emoted)

    /say Good afternoon, Master Hobbit (that I can't even see because I'm staring off into space three feet above your head, unless I /sit, too, and even then I wouldn't be looking at your face and I'd actually look kinda silly sitting on the floor.)

    /say It's really pouring outside (though you wouldn't know it by seeing me because my clothes aren't wet or dripping water on the floor so you're just going to have to take my word for it)

    /say May I buy you a drink? (even though you can't see me passing money to Butterbur and receiving a drink in return, just trust me, it's happening. Nor can you see me handing you the drink I just bought for you, but enjoy)

    /e gestures toward a nearby table (but not really because there's no emote for gesturing toward tables, so that would have to be deleted)

    /say Join me at the table I can't gesture to so I guess you'll just have to follow me?

    For me, emoting a few actions help others to visualize what I intend for my character to be doing at the time and I, personally, believe it's an acceptable form of RP. Yes, such action emotes can get out of hand, but a little can go a long way. Less is more. Quality over quantity. And, whatever other cliche fits...

    -Goldrush
    *******
    Last edited by GoldrushSE; Feb 19 2013 at 02:19 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldrushSE View Post
    So, if we react only to what we can "see", our RP could be very limited. Because, what we would "see" would be something akin to the following:

    The avatar of Bill materializes inside the Pony and walks to the bar, staring straight ahead the entire time. He turns toward the Hobbit next to him. (none of this emoted)
    None of it needs to be emoted. We can actually see it.

    /say Good afternoon, Master Hobbit (that I can't even see because I'm staring off into space three feet above your head, unless I /sit, too, and even then I wouldn't be looking at your face and I'd actually look kinda silly sitting on the floor.)
    I can see that, too, which means my character can "hear" it.

    /say It's really pouring outside (though you wouldn't know it by seeing me because my clothes aren't wet or dripping water on the floor so you're just going to have to take my word for it)
    That shows me that it's raining. Leave it to me to get the picture of how dripping wet the speaker character is. Let me use my imagination. Don't tell me how dripping wet you think the character looks.

    /say May I buy you a drink? (even though you can't see me passing money to Butterbur and receiving a drink in return, just trust me, it's happening. Nor can you see me handing you the drink I just bought for you, but enjoy)
    You would of course, I hope, wait for a response. Then you actually purchase a drink, open a trade window and give the Hobbit the drink.

    /e gestures toward a nearby table (but not really because there's no emote for gesturing toward tables, so that would have to be deleted)
    No, because that's an action I would actually be able to see if I were there.

    /say Join me at the table I can't gesture to so I guess you'll just have to follow me?
    Again, I assume you would wait for a response. Then the Hobbit would follow your character after an affirmative reply.

    You seem to imply that the above examples are somehow lacking, which they of course are not.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    You seem to imply that the above examples are somehow lacking, which they of course are not.
    Personally, I do feel they're lacking. They may not seem that way to /you/ and that's fine. ::shrugs::

    It doesn't make either one of us wrong, just different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this very minor point and RP in whatever way makes it the most fun. At least, that's what I plan to do.

    ::smiles politely and signs off::

    -Goldrush
    *******

    NOTE: If there ends up being two replies by me, it's because the forums logged me out before I could post the first time so I wasn't sure it went through.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldrushSE View Post
    Personally, I do feel they're lacking. They may not seem that way to /you/ and that's fine. ::shrugs::

    It doesn't make either one of us wrong, just different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this very minor point and RP in whatever way makes it the most fun. At least, that's what I plan to do.
    The "thought-broadcasting vs. role-playing" argument has gone on for years. And as you say, it's not going to be settled now. It's never going to be settled. Thought-broadcasting is god-moding. If that's all a player is capable of, is fine for them. I choose not to participate so no harm, no foul.

    As you also say (or imply) how another chooses to play the game does not affect me at all.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,267
    This is a fascinating thread.

    I personally view giving out actual food items usually more cumbersome than immersive. My bags are often full. I don't drink the drink on the spot because I dislike the animation; it doesn't work for my character in 9 out of 10 cases for when he or she is drinking. The only time I use drinks and/or the emote regularly is for the drunkard.

    I feel it is the responsibility of the player behind a character to describe how their character looks; if it's raining, I expect a description about the physical look of the character before he or she enters the scene, mostly because depending on how much rain there is, or how long that character was out in it, or if it's blowing from the side, or if he did not manage to get a cloak in time... all of these would change the character's appearance. While it is certainly left to the readers' imaginations how they look, if two players have a completely different image on one character due to lack of clarity, it can make for muddled, inconsistent RP.

    That is, of course, just my opinion.

    Fascinating what people classify as light RP and heavy RP. My definition follows more along Krindus' definition... how heavy the scene impacts the character growth and relationships. I also tend to take into account how much game mechanics are used that are simply unrealistic in Tolkien's Middle-earth. It's one thing to simply skip RP travel and say it happened; it's another to say 'oh earlier today I was in Moria' when you're now in Bree. Even in Turbine's smaller Middle-earth, it's simply unrealistic in my mind to travel so far in one day. That's lighter RP for me. The less realistic in Tolkien's Middle-earth, the lighter it is. Some comedy may fall under light for the same reason.

    Light, however, is not bad. It's just different. I love light RP from time to time. It's relaxing. Playing a harp for an hour while I also read a book for class is just enjoyable.

    Anyhow, to the OP: as others said, I recommend rolling a toon on both servers and trying each one during your normal playtimes for like a week. See which you like most.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon
    Posts
    1,260
    Back to the question at hand. It really doesn't matter what the largest roleplay server is if your time difference will put you in with few people online at the same time. The only REAL difference between the two, Landroval and Laurelin, is the time zone YOU can play in. (Euro time - Laurelin USA time - Landroval)

    Both servers have lots of roleplayers of all kinds as you can see to the conversation above. New roleplayers start out and get their feet wet and old timers get involved in their personal roleplay meetings with others of like interests in the varied and many ways to do that.

    Someone told me the main difference they noticed between both servers aside from the play time populations is one server has more roleplay events and the other server has more individual roleplay which I take to mean spontaneous roleplay.

    As for name tags, get rid of those names through hitting the N key and you will not be bothered by Imadorfdude as he runs by. Incidentally my kinship and I are on both servers and there are great roleplayers on both servers.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload