We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Changing the area -> Lotro chrash / graphic problems

Hi,
    on my new iMac with i7 and 16BG RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive on Mountain Lion the Lotro client constantly crashes when I move from one area to another. e.g. after travelling from Bree to Moria or entering a seperate zone like the auctioneer hall in Stangard. It crashes sometimes but not always at that second when the progress bar appears to load the new area. So this is not reproducible and the quote might be 40 to 50% when loading a new area.

Next thing is i have really bad graphics when entering for example Draigoch. I just see fractions of the landscape, i couldnt make one step because i dont see if there's a hole or a stone or a normal path in front of me.
    And when i fight with my Runekeeper i see yellow squares around the mob after hitting him. This makes me nuts.

Outside the landscape is fine but also here i have sometimes the yellow squares bug.

Maybe someone can help me or tell me that the client is the problem, not my imac or some settings.

Thanks.

(ps: sry for my bad english, im from the EU)
    Last edited by Celimat; Feb 13 2013 at 05:00 AM.

The problems with the caves are well known. I had this same problem only today in Goblin town yet yesterday I went around the whole area without a glitch. It has to ddl with the game engine or it's interactions with graphic certain cards as I found the same problem in DDO, another Turbine game.
    As far as crashing on going to other areas I have never seen that. You could try repairing permissions and checking your hard drive using disk utility in case there are some faulty files or failing that a new install may help.
    I found quitting the game regularly, when in a safe areas and restarting may help as there may be a memory leak.

In answer to both of you... please see http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client_Known_Issues.

Many of the Graphics Glitches can be worked around by switching OFF High Quality Lighting and especially Specular Lighting in the Advanced Graphic options.

The crashing problem is also a known issue -- and as you describe, it happens when "going through" transition screens.

And sadly, it is quite reproducible. It is a memory leak.

With 16GB of ram, consider establishing a RAM disk. It won't help the memory leak issue, but it will reduce loading times.
    See the thread in this forum: Lotro in a RamDisk ( Loading time boost ).

These problems have all been around since B2 of Rider's of Rohan when the Mac Client was introduced.

We are waiting for Turbine to address them.

BTW, the default graphics settings for the Mac Client are more than sufficient to surpass the Graphics quality of the PC version, AND they do help combat the Memory Leak issue.

Note, that you CAN NOT use the button to select Optimum Settings. ... it doesn't work.

And whenever you change Graphics Options, you need to quit the client and restart it because of the "loss of focus" issue... sigh.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thanks for your tips Valamar!
    It seems, that the "yellow box" bug disappered.
    But i have new infos for these "features".
    It also seems, that in the morning the crash is not so often like in the afternoons or evening.
    It also crashes now not always at the progress bar anymore, sometimes yes, but now i can force normaly a crash travelling by horsemaster or map (to Rohan OR to a place whatever, makes no difference) and after a few seconds THEN i get a crash, just walking around, right click an npc or whatever. I can crash the game, just travelling around.

I must admit that i still play on highest graphic, i just switched off the two lighting switches.
    Playing on a ram disk is not a solution for me, i think its Turbine's move.

But i try the default graphics by now and will report here.
    Last edited by Celimat; Feb 25 2013 at 09:46 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1f21a0000000c0f82/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

A big thanks to Valamar!
    Since i changed to default graphic settings i have no more crashes! I tested 3 days now without some troubles. It looks a bit poorer, but thats ok for no-more-crashs.

So i hope there will be soon a MAC update to get the better graphics back again. Its absurd with a brandnew imac to switch down with graphics but i am optmistic that Turbine would fix that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1f21a0000000c0f82/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There and back again.
    I turn around 180°.

After almost 2 weeks changing graphic to default (Valamar) the chrashes are really less then before.
    But i still have problems in instances. No more visual errors but the client chrashes now sometimes in the middle of a fight.

Its not so often than before and just a few times a week, but still not bug/crashfree.

Since the update March 6th the Mac Client crashes to desktop for transitions to other areas and instances.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000021fbc4/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Oclair View Post
    Since the update March 6th the Mac Client crashes to desktop for transitions to other areas and instances.
    Your post should read:
    "Since the update March 6th the Mac Client STILL crashes to desktop for transitions to other areas and instances"
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I'm getting the same thing...had two crashes already this morning, where I've had to reboot in order to get the client to start back up....

and prior to this, I had 90 days uptime!

U10 has really done a number on the Mac client...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000190960/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

So, it happened again, and I traced it back to a hung Crash Reporter thread...and, while as much as I want Turbine to fix this, they aren't getting any data anyway, so I killed that thread, and my lotro process was able to be killed...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000190960/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by MerlynD'Averte View Post
    So, it happened again, and I traced it back to a hung Crash Reporter thread...and, while as much as I want Turbine to fix this, they aren't getting any data anyway, so I killed that thread, and my lotro process was able to be killed...
    By the time you get around to "Force Quit" -- what you are seeing is OSX's memory management trying to recover. There are a couple of "typical" OSX threads which show up in the output -- "Crash Reporter" thread is one of them.

But, you are correct, there is no information there for Turbine. The only thing of interest is at the very bottom, where you will likely find 3.7GB of Virtual Memory used, the hallmark of the "memory leak." (A 32-bit process attempting to address more than 4GB - 3.7 under OSX -- of memory.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)